Chapter 46
1.6k 1 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After defeating Aerindel, Desmund, and Lilith, Rye was surprised that only a fourth of his mana was used. Fighting Rosetta took another one-fourth and so he would face Ludric with half of his mana left.

His childhood memory couldn't help but spiral back.

"W-Wait," Rye raised his hand, "can we postpone this duel until tomorrow?"

"Are you out of mana?" Marissa asked in doubt.

He didn't seem like it.

"No, it's just…" Rye hesitated.

Ludric understood and sheathed back his sword, "It's alright. Let's do it tomorrow."

Rye inwardly sighed in relief. His mentality wasn't prepared enough to fight against Ludric.

He approached Aerindel, "Can you take me to your father again? There's something I need to talk about."

Aerindel nodded, "Of course."

Ludric watched the two of them leave and faintly frowned. Even if the two of them weren't in a romantic relationship, he still felt like there was something the two of them were hiding from the rest of them.

He glanced at Freanor and slipped away when nobody was noticing.

Rye entered the room to see Adnadan sitting up on his bed. His back leaned to the soft pillows at the head of the bed. His long hair was combed and loosely braided to his side.

Next to the bed was a tall man with raven hair and eyes, tentatively wiping Adnadan's arm with a warm, damp towel.

"Rye, you have come," Adnadan smiled, "is there something you need to discuss with me?"

Rye nodded, "I will wait outside, Your Majesty. Forgive me for disturbing."

Adnadan shook his head and gently patted the raven-haired elf, "Thank you, Eshril. You may return to work."

Eshril bowed, "Yes, Your Majesty."

He picked up the basin of water and the tray of food on the bedside table, each with one hand. He nodded politely towards Rye before he walked out of the room.

"That man is Eshril, my minister," Adnadan introduced, "if you need anything, you may seek him to help you. He is a very capable man."

"I will remember that, Your Majesty."

"Come, sit down. What is it that you need to discuss?" Adnadan gestured at the chair Eshril just used.

Rye sat down, "Last night, I was…Lord Solistus came to visit."

"Yes, I felt his presence. Your lord must have used an alternate form as a channel. His divinity didn't leak much. I could feel it only because I was constantly exposed to it," Adnadan chuckled, "did he come to see you?"

Rye faintly blushed, "O-Of course, not only that," he cleared his throat and turned serious, "it's about the Light Tree and Lune Vein."

Adnadan sighed, "I am aware. If we do not act soon, the situation will be dire. I lied when I said we have 3 years. At most, we only have 2 months left before I am drained."

"I know this might sound outrageous," Rye carefully said, "except for transferring I do not think we have any other choice."

"Lord Muriel is a subject of your lord, so I do not have any resistance about it. For him to order me to seek you means he might also think as such," Adnadan nodded in understanding, "though if possible, I wish to conceal the truth and bring it to my grave."

"I understand your feeling. I also think that is what we should do."

"I knew you would understand from the fact that you are concealing your relationship," Adnadan smiled helplessly, "a god's image upon their believer is truly important after all."

Rye nodded in agreement.

"If only Muriel understood that like your lord. I had quite a hard time keeping our relationship a secret," Adnadan lamented.

"…Are you not sad, Your Majesty?"

"I am. But I have our memory which keeps me going," Adnadan looked at his thin hand, "I also promised to take care of everything before I can follow him."

"I will convert the Light Tree and Lune Vein after Ny'ar head chief's coronation. If I convert it before the occasion I am afraid it will affect the procession and attract suspicion."

"Will the priests of our temple still be able to pray for light afterward?"

"Lord Muriel's godhood has been given to Lord Solistus. Your people can still continue to pray under his name. It is just that, I believe that the appearance of the Light Tree and Lune Vein will have a slight change."

"To gold?" Adnadan softly laughed, "Eshril told me about what happened at the temple yesterday. Archbishop Barion called him to the temple and demanded your condemnation. Eshril locked him in his chamber instead since he was destroying the temple everywhere he goes."

There was a knock on the door and Eshril who has left not too long ago returned. In his hand was a piece of letter.

"Pardon me, Your Majesty." Eshril bowed respectfully.

"What is the matter, Eshril?"

Eshril handed the letter to Rye, "A fairy has been entrusted with this letter to be given to you, Saint Rye."

"?" Rye accepted it.

"For safety reasons, I checked the content when I received it from the elf guarding the border today," Eshril honestly said, "I shall ask Prince Aerindel to escort you."

Rye read the letter and fell silent.

Half an hour later, Rye and Aerindel emerged out from the Clearance Mist to meet a person clad in black waiting for them. His face was completely covered by a flat black mask, not showing any of his facial features.

Rye fixed his glasses, "…Mr. Stalker? Or should I address you as a Miss?"

"…" The person raised a finger.

"Are you not allowed to talk?"

The man crossed his arms to an X.

"How should I address you?"

The man gestured his hand towards him.

"Then, I'll just call you as…Crow."

Aerindel, "…"

You can understand him?

"Since you are exposed, you cannot disappear on us inside the elven kingdom. If you really must spy on me all day, just follow me around. I will not mind," Rye sighed, "His Majesty is too unreasonable sometimes."

Crow nodded in agreement and raised his little finger.

Rye turned to Aerindel, "Let's go."

The three people went back into the mist with Aerindel leading in front. He didn't know who the man was, but Rye seems familiar with him. And did Rye just say 'spy'?

They arrived back inside and went to the others.

"Everyone, this is Crow. He will be joining us from today," Rye introduced Crow and turned to him, "you do not need me to introduce them, right?"

Crow gave an 'ok' sign.

Everyone, "…"

Who?

"Rye, elaborate more. Who is he?" Ludric asked.

Rye glanced at Crow who was completely silent and shook his head, "No need to mind him too much. You can regard him as my shadow. He's serving under our king."

Just as Rye said, Crow really acted as his shadow. Wherever he went, Crow followed. He didn't speak or do anything, only tailing behind Rye. Rye didn't seem to mind him one bit. They almost thought Rye forgot he existed behind him.

Only when Rye was bathing or doing his business in the restroom did he pitifully crouch outside the door, waiting for Rye to finish. When Rye was sleeping, he sat next to his bed on the ground, unknown whether he was sleeping or not.

The next day, Rye finally faced Ludric for the duel.

His hands were damp from nervous sweat, but he was mentally prepared now.

Just in case, he took out his metal pointer. Aerindel offered to lend him a sword, but Rye refused. Their goal wasn't to win. It was to measure whether Ludric could defeat him as he is. It would be pointless if he used a powerful weapon.

"Start!"

Ludric flashed from his spot and appeared in front of Rye in a blink. As Rye expected, Ludric would focus on physical combat in this duel. At least for the first half.

Rye needed to save his mana, so he gave up escaping to the sky. If his mana was depleted when Ludric decided to shift into a magic battle, he wouldn't survive.

Rye dodged Ludric's sword and swung his mental pointer. Ludric blocked it with his sword and easily countered. Unlike in the academy, Ludric wasn't underestimating him at all. It was difficult to find any openings.

They moved and exchanged blows too fast that the audience couldn't keep up with their eyes. They could only guess where they were from the spark and sharp sound of their weapons hitting each other.

Ludric disappeared again. Rye knew he increased his speed and quickly flew up while erecting several layers of barriers.

Ludric swiftly leaped from the ground. His sword lit up with blue fire and he swung it to the outermost barrier. All the barriers shattered as the blue flame burst towards Rye.

But it was only an illusion.

Before Ludric could find where Rye was, he was suddenly engulfed in darkness.

42