Chapter 15 – Creating a new technique
675 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Aki was already waiting at the courtyard reserved for the lesson when Passionate Seeker arrived with her new student. The boy was quite different from how Aki had imagined him to be. He had expected a one in one hundred thousand talent to be the spitting image of a hero, but instead what he saw was a scraggly, thin boy with dull grey eyes. His messy, unkempt grey hair blew about wildly in the wind. Next to the ever-elegant Passionate Seeker with her neat bun, he looked more like a stray picked up from the streets than a student.

Aki was rather curious about what kind of person he was, as he had a distinctly familiar aura. I bet he is the type of person who just sits in their cave and cultivates all day long. Wait, I suppose that’s what is expected from proper cultivators in this world... Busy with his delusions, Aki almost missed his greetings.

“Disciple Little Hawk offers greetings, honoured elder.”

Aki nodded approvingly at him.

“Do not worry about my presence here, disciple. I am merely watching over my own disciple.”

Passionate Seeker was supposed to be the educator here, so Aki did not plan on getting involved too deeply with the boy. If he had learned anything from all the novels he had read, it was that it was good to keep an eye on the geniuses, but getting too involved would bring untoward risk.

Wait a minute, could it be that by giving such a genius a private, focused education plan I am setting myself up for problems in the future? Well, no point in worrying about it, I'm sure things will be fine.

The lesson proceeded well with his apprentice proving to be a rather adept teacher. Her explanations were clear and succinct, and as Aki discreetly guided the lesson to topics he had an interest in, he managed to learn quite a bit. Satisfied that his plan was working just as well as he had hoped, Aki set off to continue his cultivation studies.

 


 

After about a week of these lessons, Aki managed to develop his skill with weaves quite a bit. He had managed to get a hang of the [Karmic Bonds] technique, allowing him to observe the bonds between people. He could even slightly nudge those bonds into new directions, just a small nudge, but it was surely going to be a useful technique.

Passionate Seeker was rather curious that Aki insisted on her holding lessons on very basic things Little Hawk already had a hang of, but he insisted that thorough revision was the key to strong foundations of knowledge.

Aki also gradually got better at using types of Qi other than karma and was starting to get a hang of the [Illusory wall] technique. He was still unable to make complex illusions, but rather than stifle him, the limitations of his skill actually allowed him to gather inspiration for a new innovation.

There were generally two ways to create new weaves in this world; The first one was to receive enlightenment on them directly through various methods, creating an all-new personal weave. These were generally the most powerful ones and worked best for those who had originally discovered them. The other types of new weaves were ones that were created by modifying and combining already existing ones to bring new and different effects. The latter method had a distinctly scientific approach to it, which Aki appreciated. Excited at the thought of being able to create something of his own, Aki began trying to create a weave of his own.

Above all, he wanted his new technique to be something useful in his everyday tasks. As a sect leader, Aki figured that he would have to hold lots of meetings in the future to present his various ideas to people. Aki was used to holding presentations to people due to his wealth of experience in school and work projects, however, in this world he lacked a tool that he had come to rely on. Thus, Aki found the inspiration for his new technique, and actually managed to create something workable.

Aki was so pleased and proud of himself for the innovation, that he decided to act like a proper master for once and hold a lesson for Passionate Seeker. Usually, Aki held his sessions in his courtyard, but this time he elected to summon Passionate Seeker to his personal quarters.

Aki was sitting by his writing desk, stroking his beard with satisfaction as his apprentice arrived. She wore a curious expression on her face as she stepped in, wondering what her master had summoned her here for.

“Apprentice, you have been doing your duties admirably, so I have decided to teach you a new, never-before-seen technique!”

Passionate Seeker sat down on the chair Aki had set for her and instantly took out her note-taking supplies. Her gaze had adopted a feverish intensity.

“Master, I am ready to receive your guidance!”

Aki smiled with approval, and then began to gather light Qi from the room for his weave. He also summoned karma Qi from his string and soon, a rectangle of shimmering light appeared on the wall. Words soon formed onto the top part of the rectangle, spelling out: “Brand new technique presentation”.

Aki smiled at his creation, then flourished his hands.

“Behold, the [PowerPoint] technique!”

Yes, what Aki had been lacking was a tool to help him with presentations. The tool that he had become all too reliant on during his school years. He got the idea for this while working on his [Illusory Wall technique]; accurate, realistic illusions had been difficult for him, while creating text onto a flat background was comparatively child’s play.

Passionate Seeker stared blankly at the rectangle of light, trying to figure out the deeper meaning in this.

“Master, I’m not sure I quite understand. What is the significance of that shoddily woven [Illusory Wall] technique? What is this [PowerPoint] technique?”

Aki was not dismayed, and instead smiled confidently.

“The [PowerPoint] technique is used to help you convince someone of your viewpoint. This is done by presenting your statements using bullet points. It is very useful for people who have to hold lots of meetings.”

At those words, Aki manipulated his weave, and the rectangle of light shifted, three bullet points appearing on it.

  • The [PowerPoint] technique is used to convince someone of your arguments.
  • These arguments are generally presented through bullet points.
  • This technique is vital for any who have to prove the superiority of their ideas!

Passionate Seeker studied the bullet points for a moment, then suddenly gasped with realization.

“This is not just a [Illusory Wall] technique, is it?”

Aki smiled secretively. Indeed, he was in a world of fantasy, could he be satisfied with a mundane presentation technique? Of course not! Thin strands of karma were emanating from each bullet point, connecting to Passionate Seeker.

“You have sharp eyes, apprentice. Those who do not have an affinity with karmic qi should have a difficult time spotting those threads of karma, which are based on the [Karmic Bonds] technique. As the statements on the bullet points are read out, a subtle nudge will be applied on the bond, making the recipient's perspective on the statement slightly more agreeable. Do you now understand the meaning behind the [PowerPoint] technique?”

Aki was growing enthusiastic. Finally, I am acting as a proper teacher. Once people realize how useful this technique is, I’m sure its popularity will spread like wildfire!

Passionate Seeker closed her eyes in concentration for a moment, then opened them with understanding.

“I’ve got it master!”

“You’ve got it?”

“Yes master, this technique...”

Aki was leaning forward enthusiastically, was he finally setting someone onto the path of a proper corporate presentator?

“The description of the technique you gave, it sounded like something truly powerful, to make others bow down to your will! Therefore, the purpose behind you showing me that sloppy, weak amalgamation of weaves was to give me a puzzle, so I could figure out the true [PowerPoint] technique! Am I right master?”

As Passionate Seeker leaned forward with anticipation, Aki’s confidence in his new skill with weaves crumpled. Sloppy, weak amalgamation of weaves? It took me a week to figure this one out! I thought I was being really clever! So, my skills are still at such an unacceptable level... Well, I guess I have to commit to this.

Aki managed to smooth out his conflicted expression, returning to the visage expected of him. His voice was however somewhat tinged with resignation, lacking the usual confidence and enthusiasm.

“Ah, yes apprentice. You have found me out. Of course, such an amateurish construct could not be the true [PowerPoint] technique. I shall leave the figuring out the rest to you.”

Aki was turning to his desk, ready to dismiss Passionate Seeker. His pride and confidence as a teacher, that he really had no business having, had completely fizzled out. He was then however, offered a thread of hope as Passionate Seeker began thoughtfully pondering.

“Hmm, figuring out that technique will be quite difficult as I don’t yet have a Karma Qi string. Master, you told me before that when the time was right you would teach me your Karma Qi condensation technique. Is now that time?”

Sensing an opportunity to regain his pride and confidence as an educator, Aki of course jumped at the opportunity.

“Ah, of course this is an opportune moment. Now let’s see, my karma Qi condensation technique...”

What is my karma Qi condensation technique? I have a karma Qi string, so I should have some insight to the topic, right? However, I’m pretty sure that following the method my body used would result in the destruction of her soul and summoning another poor outsider here, so that won’t do.

Aki began pondering on the nature of karma, using the knowledge he had gained from reading countless web novels as a reference.

What do I know about karma? In all those web novels, the karma techniques were always crazy powerful, and the lads always said some wise things about them. What was that one quote, “karma is made of bonds” or something like that?

Aki was starting to get an idea, and his mind pounced to expand on the thread of insight he had gleaned, desperately trying to claw together something coherent. He finally opened his eyes with understanding. He dug out his pouch of spirit stones and picked one up, holding it aloft.

“Apprentice, gaze at this. What do you see?”

Passionate Seeker gazed intensely at the spirit stone, trying to figure out the lesson. Eventually she sighed, uncomprehending.

“All I see is a spirit stone, master.”

Aki gave her an encouraging glance, then elaborated.

“This spirit stone has been received as a payment for something and can be used to pay for something. What are payments, but contracts between people? Contracts are a strong, definite form of bond and this stone in my hand is the crystallization of that bond! Karma is formed of the actions one performs, and how they affect others. What are those but bonds! In other words, this spirit stone holds the key to understanding karma!”

Passionate Seeker gasped with understanding. She began to carefully consider.

“So, in order to condense my karma Qi string, the technique will require...”

It was at this point that Aki was hit by a bolt of inspiration. I can turn this to my advantage and teach her valuable life skills! Yes, I know exactly what I must say! Aki stood up and began gesturing grandly.

“The technique, apprentice, is called the [Counting Spirit Stones] technique! In it, you meditate on the nature of karma by counting the spirit stones you have earned, over and over until you reach mastery! This technique works better the more spirit stones you have earned, so the key is to earn as many spirit stones as possible! The masters of this technique swim in their vast containers of spirit stones, allowing them to master the technique at astounding speeds!”

Yes, by tying the technique to the amount wealth earned, he could turn this to the advantage of the sect! By getting Passionate Seeker interested in earning as many spirit stones as possible, she could set out on earning a lot of money for the use of the sect! Aki was rather satisfied at how clever he had managed to be. Passionate Seeker was already forming plans of action.

“So, I must earn as many spirit stones as possible to master this technique... Master! I shall set off immediately! Thank you for your guidance!”

Aki nodded at her and she ran off briskly, slamming the door shut behind her. Aki had managed to regain his pride and confidence as a teacher, so it was with the satisfaction of a job well done that he began to sit back down at his study desk.

Heh, maybe I do have a knack for this whole sect elder business. Busting out wisdom like that is easy!

His rather undeserved pride was growing at an alarming rate, however before he could get completely carried away, he was interrupted by a sudden, haughty voice from the shadows of his room.

“Hmm, that [PowerPoint] technique seemed pretty interesting, master. Mind if I try my hand at figuring it out?”

Aki turned with shock and noticed that a short woman, veiled with black clothes which seemed to melt into the shadows behind her, was lounging idly on the top shelf of his jade slip storage.

Aki also noted that she seemed to be lazily eating spirit lemons from a suspiciously full bag at her waist.

19