Appointment and Initial Plans
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

St. George Avenue shortly before Dr. Vanderbilt visits the hospital:

The old doctor, having braved the streets of New Winstam, finally found his way to St George, an archaic portion of the city. Gone are the factories, closely built houses, and all other signs of modernity, old Winstam is well and truly living in the medieval ages, despite the cityscape being a short walk away. Don't let the description fool you however, old Winstam is the administrative capital of New Winstam for a reason. That reason being that the rich pushed the poor out of old Winstam, centering power in this little hamlet and creating a mighty amount of discontent. But that isn't impoetant right now, for the good doctor was making his way ro the site of the old town hall, the very brain of New Winstam

As Dr. Vanderbilt made his way through the door, he was greeted by a truly luxurious looking reception room with a pleasantly smiling receptionist behind the counter.

"Good day." Vanderbilt said, searching through his jacket pocket for the letter of appointment, "I have a meeting scheduled with the mayor around this time."

The receptionist, after taking the letter and briefly scanning the cover, replied "Very well sir, I will let the mayor know." 

The receptionist left the good doctor to enjoy the refreshments, and they were delicious with a wide selection of coffees, teas, and various snacks, and went to fetch the lord mayor. After about 10-15 minutes a grim man with quick steps entered the reception room followed by the receptionist. Motioning Dr. Vanderbilt to follow him, the man lead the way to an inconspicuous office and entered without any formality.

"Please, have a seat Minister Vanderbilt." He said while taking a seat himself. "I am the mayor of New Winstam, pleasure to finally meet the fellow my constituents so dearly wished me to appoint."

Vanderbilt smiled pleasantly, "The pleasure is all mine Mayor Deugen."

"Now then," the mayor said while leaning forwards, as if to better inspect his new minsiter. "What can I expect your first moves to be as Minister of Health? You understand that as Mayor this is something I need to know."

"Of course Mr. Mayor, I intend to tackle two problems simultaneously." Vanderbilt began, "Namely the Polio epidemic afflicting the citizens of old Winstam and the high mortality rates of the hospitals in New Winstam." Vanderbilt raises a hand to silence the mayor before he could speak. "I know that I was appointed so eagerly because a quick resolution to Polio was on the populace's mind, but I simply cannot limit myself to the issues of the rich and ruin my integrity among the poor, such an action would be disastrous."

The mayor leaned back into his chair, rubbing his chin deep in thought. "Very well then, you may leave, Minister." He commanded.

"Of course, " Vanderbilt replied as he stepped out of the office and made his way to his own, equally out of the way and impoverished, office where he began to plot. He knew that sitting here, barking orders randomely wasn't going to get him anywhere, it never got his colleagues anywhere either. So he needed information, information that would be unavailable through the report of some survey crew with no experience with medicine. He needed a council of experts from New Winstam, people who could tell him what's actually going on.

He called the secretary and asked for a list of respected professionals, as well as up-and-coming newcomers, of all professions including janitorial staff and nurses. Once he got his list he immediately started on the letters, cordially inviting everyone to give their opinions over the medical state of New Winstam, especially concerning hospitals and Polio. Finally, he got to the last letter, the person he was hoping to visit first. That person is, of course, a Nurse named Eleanor.

1