The Oriole
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The mayor has remained neutral so far, merely watching the spat. But Vanderbilt believed he could convince him to intervene, for he had something that his opposition did not, renown. While his opponent is in the dark, he is in the light, and that comes with certain advantages. Advantages such as public speeches and not-so-secret opposition. He could certainly make things hard for the mayor, much more so than someone who officially is not involved. It is with this plan in mind that Vanderbilt made his way to the mayor's office where he was welcomed by the receptionist and lead in. It appears the mayor was expecting the visit.

"Minister Vanderbilt, it is lovely to see you. What is the reason for your visit?"

"Mr. Mayor, I believe we both know the reason for my visit. What can you do to assist me against this unknown harasser?"

"Why would I aid you?" The mayor asked, head cocked in confusion. "What could you possibly do to return the favor? And do not try the threaten me Vanderbilt, I hold more power in this city than you could dream of."

There's a dilemma. The mayor was expecting a threat and has likely taken countermeasures already, but he is still listening so there must be something that can be offered. What is it, what is the mayor looking for? He does not need fame, money is likely a non-issue for him, he has near-absolute power officially..."officially" might be the key word here. Could he want support? But whatever for?!

"I see you realised what it is that I want. Yes, I do want your support for some projects I plan to implement. If you grant the assistance of your name and title, I will give you my aid."

"Done," Vanderbilt replied, "I will give you my name and title as long as it doesn't interfere with my duties."

"Wonderful, it is nice to have seone cooperative for a change. I look forward to working with you."

"Likewise."

-----------

With that little deal with the devil put of the way. Vanderbilt merely had to wait for results. In the meantime the Cholera taskforce came up with results. The water of a couple companies, the Nameral water company and the Tuskan corporation to be specific, are associated with increased risk for Cholera. It is also noted that people who do not drink the water of these companies do not get Cholera. This would be a smoking gun, Cholera has been linked to water with these findings, and with the power of the Minister of Health the need for sewers can be properly advocated.

-----

Breaking: Cholera spreads through water!

Yesterday the Ministry of Health has come out with the news of a link between Cholera and water. Cholera is a disease that causes severe vomiting and diarrhea, leading to rapid dehydration and eventually death. The proper cause of Cholera has so far been unidentified, leading many doctors to feel like they are fighting a ghost. The water of the Nameral and Tuskan corporations is currently the only source of Cholera within the city. Investigation into possible contamination is currently underway and all citizens are advised to avoid drinking their water. They provide for....

The newspaper was gently put down and the old man reading it looked to his ailing wife. "If only we didn't drink that water..."

The old woman, slowly dying of dehydration replied, "Silly man, we would have only had a few more years anyway, and the good doctor had found the cause already, soon enough there won't be people going through this anymore. Is that not happy news?"

"I must admit I am somewhat lacking in perspective at the moment." The old gentleman smiled toward his wife, gently stroking her hand as he does so. "And I would prefer death to not be so undignified."

The wide smiled at her husband's words, "If you don't want to die without dignity then the only choice is to not die, being forced toward the end of your life is never dignified..."

"Well, I'm afraid I can't argue with you on that. You know, I'm thinking of selling this house and donating the profits over the healthcare charities."

"That would be nice, and you can get our son to take care of you afterwards..."

"Yes, that is the plan."

1