Glorious Return
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just outside the mayor's office.

There was a man, one of the city's more influential bureaucrats, and he was talking in an agitated manner. "Minister Vanderbilt, you cannot be serious about such an undertaking. Building a sewer system underneath New Winstam would cost hundreds of millions to build the damn thing, let alone the social costs of disrupting everyone's lives! I simply cannot see the value in building such a network." 

"And that is where your imagination runs short." Vanderbilt retorted, rather smug. "This sewer system will pay dividends in the future, where do you think people will spend all the money saved from reduced healthcare costs? Where do you think all those people not dying of disease will work? Eat? From whom will they buy clean water? A sewer system will only strengthen city finances and expand the available manpower for the factories, mines, ports, or any other business. My good man, you see problems because you lack imagination."

"I see problems because I loook at reality! Where is the money to pay for this going to come from?!"

"Charities, sponsors, hell I believe we could scrounge money feom the crown if we frame the request right. The city itself will not have to pay all of the costs. And before you complain, I am sure the business elite would spend a little money to not have their workforce slashed by Cholera every few years. Now then, let me have this meeting."

Before the bureaucrat could even hooe to reply, Vanderbilt entered the mayor's office, expecting him to have overheard the conversation with the barrier placed outside. With such an expectation he directly skipped the formalities and opened with "What do you think?"

"I think it is an ambitious move after your little disappearing act. It will draw attention to you and thus draw attention away from me, which may allow me to push forward my plans..." The mayor took a little time to have a think about it. "I approve, you have the full support of the mayor's office, but you will need to gather at least half the funds yourself. The city's funding is currently being used elsewhere."

"Understood, is there anything you require me to plan for specifically?"

"Yes, I want you to place various large chambers within the sewer system, enough to fit roughly 1,000 people each, and these chambers must be connected by clean tunnels." The mayor gives Vanderbilt a list of names, "the chambers will be placed underneath the businessess of these people who you will solicit funding from. I also want my station and name to be unconnected with these chambers. Do you understand?"

"Absolutely, I will follow it to the letter." Minister Vanderbilt turned to leave the room but was interrupted in his attempt.

"Minister I warn you, do not disappoint me."

-----------------

"Dr. Vanderbilt! I thought you had been kidnapped." Jacob exclaimed.

"Of course he was not, how would one kidnap a Minister anyway?" Nurse Eleanor replied.

"I am afraid I must interrupt," Dr. Vanderbilt so rudely said, "we have been given a mandate by the mayor to secure funding for the new sewer system. Jacob you will ask for a government grant due to your job, Eleanor you will get support from the charities, they will be more agreeable with requests from a woman, and Clein you will use your familiarity with old Winstam to get some wealthy sponsors. Any questions?

"Straight to work? I must commend you for your professionality but I am afraid you are moving too quick for me to quite catch up. What is this about a sewer?" Jacob asked.

"The mayor has agreed to setting up a sewer below New Winstam."

"...huh."

"Oh, and before I forget. You must secure funding from these people," he says as he hands them the list that the mayor gave him. "I do not care if it is through a charity or direct sponsorship. But they must be funding the project. Mayor's orders." Vanderbilt finished.

"Why would the mayor order this." Clein muttered with some confusion at these seemingly pointless orders.

"It does not matter, all that matters is that we set up this sewer. Such a project will transform the city as we know it." Nurse Eleanor interjected

And so the trio set off, Jacob went to the crown's observer to talk of a grant, Eleanor went to visit the New Winstam homeless districts where most charities are based, and Clein set off for the biggest business name in New Winstam, a Miss Hailey Hawthorne. Meanwhile Vanderbilt remained at the Ministry of Health, working with various designers and city planners to build his golden gun against water-borne disease.

1