Bullfighting
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Following chapter and following ones are partly inspired by the bullshit some companies do to avoid dealing with climate change.

‐--------------

Alright then, gettin' a subsidy from the big K is gonna be easy. The King's Spokesman has repeatedly expressed disgust over the health standards of New Winstam, so now that we have a plan they should be leaping with joy at ending this fiasco. Here's the observers office, now to get myseld into my gentlemanly voice...here wer go. "Good day sir, I come from the Ministry of Health. May I speak to you for a bit?"

"Of course!" The jolly Crown Observer replied, "I would be delighted to have a gentleman from the local government pay me a visit. How are things?"

"They are going very well Observer." Jacob began, flashing a winning smile as he does so, "The Ministey has come up with an ambitious project, having recieved the mayor's approval of course, and wishes to recieve a grant for it. I think it would have no trouble recieving funding since it has been high on the Crown's list of priorities for some time, basically we wish to build a sewer system under-"

The Observer immediately raises a hand to stop him from talking, "I think that is enough young man. I am afraid the Crown sees such an endevor as fruitless and without merit."

"But there's proof supporting-"

"The Grand Minister of Territories and Autonomous Zones, my superior, has made it clear that such acts are foolish and will not be supported. If New Winstam was not an autonomous zone then the Crown would stop you from trying to implement such a policy in the first place."

"...May I know the reason for such a decision?"

"As a government official I am allowed to tell you that promiment supporters of the Crown, who will remain unnamed, have expressed a desire to prevent any such system."

"Understood, then I am to understand we must obtain funding elsewhere."

"As an observer I must insist you scrap this project immediately."

"Good day Mr. Observer, I am afraid I must take my leave now."

"If you must, it was a pleasure meeting with you."

"Likewise." What a fucking twat. What the hell are these "promiment supporters" and why the hell do they want to oppose a sewer?! I need the other two to help tackle this.

-----------------------

Well, here we are. The house of my biggest client, former client anyway. Mr. Gougar, a promiment banker and healthcare activist, this is where I will likely make a breakthrough, not to mention he is on the Mayor's list. Now to gently bang the door knocker a bit...

The door opened right when Clein banged the door to reveal a professional middle-aged butler who promptly spoke, "How may I help you?"

"Hello, I am Clein from the Ministry of Health. I am here to speak with Mr. Gougar over a matter of financing." Clein kindly informed the butler.

"Ah, a member of government, I shall get the Master right away. In the meantime please wait in the sitting room."

Clein spent a woefully long while in that sitting room, Mr. Gougar was either extremely busy or enjoyed letting visitors late since Clein doesn't remember the last time he was able to meet with the man within a few minutes. But he waited, sipping some beverage or other until the butler returned, which luckily was not too long this time. The butler lead him to Mr. Gougar's office where he saw the man in question. "Greetings, Mr. Gougar, I come from the Ministry of Health."

"Ah Mr. Clein, it is a wonder to see you again. Tell me, what does the Ministry desire?"

"The Ministry is seeking sponsors for a sewer project underneath New Winstam."

"...And this is the part where you explain how this is profitable for me yes?"

"I do not see the point of your question, surely fewer epidemics would appeal to you, especially since such epidemics endanger your life, no matter how little."

"Well, the thing is that I do not live in this city, I only work here. Frankly I am unconcerned with the local epidemics, there will always be investment opprotunitied that spring up after all. Ther is no financial incentive, without that how will I reply to the ire of the shareholders? I am afraid that you will have to bring an incentive. Now then, let us talk of other things. I hear that the hospitals are about to expand quite a bit, personally I am waiting for a spokesperson to come ask for a loan..."

Clein was all but forced to converse with Mr. Gougar over investments, stocks, and other tedious financial news. He left the house feeling dissapointed, but he wad not defeated yet. He needs to convince the banks that investing into a sewer would be economical in the long run, he almost certainly needs the aid of his peers to even begib doing that though.

---------- 

So, charities huh? I suppose I will have to put on the charm. Here is the door to the biggest charity in New Winstam dedicated to fighting disease wherever it springs up. It has quite the staff of nurses too.  Anyway, I should greet the receptionist. "Hello Stacy, I have not seen you for quite a while."

"Oh, Eleanor! How have you been? How is the Ministry treating you?

"I could not be better Stacy, but I am afraid I am here on official business. The Ministry is seeking funding for a sewer system underneath New Winstam."

Stacy beamed at the news, "It is wonderful to have a Minister of Health that does his job. I will bring you to our finances guy." With that Stacy beckoned Eleanor to follow her down a few spartan hallways. Eventually knocking on a door calling " A member of the Ministry of Health here to see you." Before leaving Eleanor to the fellow inside the room.

The door opened revealing abrather gaunt bespectacled man. "It is a pleasure to meet you," Eleanor began, "I am Nurse Eleanor with the Ministry of Health."

"Nice to meet you too," the man replied, waving off Eleanor's polite tone. "I am Negles with the Coalition Against Disease charity and volunteer group. How may I help you?"

"The Ministry is seeking funding for a sewer system, we were hoping the charities could pitch in." Eleanor replied as Negles led her into his office and offered her a seat.

"...I am afraid that will be rather difficult. Our funds are stretched thin at the moment dealing with a crisis in the colonies. Frankly, we will not be able to provide much...But we could probably get a good amount of manpower, especially of we are able to provide food and housing to the homeless volunteers during the building project."

"That sounds agreeable, we could probably borrow some food stores for the project, promising to repay later. I am also sure we could secure some tents, which would be better than living off the streets. Can you work with this?"

"Can you do something more about the housing? Perhaps give the hardest workers a guest room or something?"

"...That will be difficult, ordinary homes are cramped enough as it is and it is not like anybody at the Ministry owns a mansion... We could probably house 15-20 people tops if we were to get the workers at the Ministry donating some rooms."

"Then that is just what we will have to work with, it has been wonderful meeting you Nurse Eleanor, I do hope you can secure that funding." 

"I also hope so." Now, what are those two peers of mine up to?.

1