Assault
434 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

* * *

Join the Dragonfall Discord!

If you enjoy my work, and want to read chapters early then check out P*treon.com/Mark1681 for Early Access, P*treon Exclusives, and Behind-The-Scenes content.

* * *

I spent a couple more hours in the sheets with my scarlet seductress, making an even greater mess of the place, but eventually I did manage to exhaust the insatiable vixen. I left her to rest as I bathed, dressed, and slipped back into Elderia, but not before informing Maya I'd be 'out', and not to allow guests inside.

'I should probably set up some defensive measures sooner rather than later, but then again, if the manor's damaged, or destroyed, I'd be fully in my rights to hunt the perpetrator down and disembowel them. Decisions, decisions.'

I wore Fuji on my waist, hoping it might serve an adequate deterrent for the local rat population, not particularly interested in vermin extermination. Fuji had still yet to awaken from her slumber, and I was beginning to consider whether keeping her stored had delayed her recovery.

Sephillia had apparently woken me quite early as people were just beginning their day, completing their morning chores as shops opened their doors. 'Do I need less sleep?' I thought. 'I figured it would be the opposite. Stereotypes and all that.'

Regardless, there was plenty of daylight left, even if it was obscured by clouds, and I was looking to do something productive today. A quick inquiry, and I had directions for the local Hunter's Guild. A short walk across town later, and I'd arrived at the described building - a wood and stone construction sporting a plaque etched with an iconic symbol of a two swords clashing.

"Welcome to the Guild, here to make a request?" A middle-aged woman manning what I assumed was the receptionist's desk asked.

"Here to join actually." I replied, causing the woman to lift an eyebrow, give me a once over, and shrug.

"Alright, handsome, if you think you've got what it takes to be a Hunter I'll need to test ya in the back to assign your starting rank." She didn't bother waiting for a reply as she walked out from behind the counter, and opened a door leading to 'the back' as she called it.

I followed her through, pushing open the door that had swung shut. Only to be ambushed by a wooden pole that slammed into my shoulder. "Was that supposed to hurt?" I asked, unamused.

"Yes, and I'm impressed you didn't so much as flinch. That would have floored most the guys around here." She shakes her head, frowning. "Your reaction time is still shit." Without warning, the staff - I'm assuming it's a wooden staff anyways - was aimed towards my temple. I'd been expecting another attack, however, and knowing the attack was coming allowed me to put my physique and perception to use.

I backstepped, allowing the tip of the staff to sail harmlessly past me, but it halted mid-flight, changing directions and striking my shoulder, again, but this time with a lot more force that caused me to lose my footing. I landed on my ass, expecting her to take advantage and deliver another strike, but when my eyes flicked to her, I saw the staff resting on her shoulder as she stood relaxedly.

"Get up, shirt off." She ordered.

That, I wasn't expecting. "Excuse me?"

"Get off your pretty little ass, and take off your top." She ordered again.

She didn't seem like she was joking, and after an awkward second or two, I stood up and pulled off my shirt. She had stepped closer, and was circling me, using her finger to poke here and there as she inspected my physique.

"Built like a warrior, but green as they come." She shook her head, her brows scrunched together. "Not even bruised after a solid hit, and can track me at half-speed with ease." She was obviously speaking more to herself than me, but her next words were obviously directed at me as she looked me in the eye. "Can you even use that sword?" She motioned towards Fuji. I'd not drawn my sword against her since she wasn't trying to do more than ascertain my level.

"I'm untrained." I replied.

She sighs, rubbing her forehead with her free hand. "Anything else?"

A grin split my lips as I casually raised my hand, lightning dancing between my fingers.

"Magic, huh?" She closes her eyes in thought, and I waited patiently until she finally said, "Obviously lacking in experience, but strong enough that I can't rightly refuse you." She grumbles. "Follow me."

I pull my shirt on quickly as we exit the training area, returning to the main room. The place was still devoid of a single soul besides the two of us.

"Here." I hadn't been paying attention, and she managed to produce a gold coin from... somewhere. "Most wear it as a necklace-" She says, tugging a chain from between her cleavage to emphasize the Obsidian-colored coin dangling from the end. "-but you can wear it however you like, or not at all. So long as you don't lose it. If you do, there's a replacement fee."

I take the offered coin, and inspect the two identical sides displaying the Guild's insignia. A small hole had been punched out near the edge, allowing a chain or something similar to be threaded through.

"That indicates you're a Gold-rank Hunter." She gestures towards the coin in my hand. "Hunter Ranks are, from lowest to highest, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Onyx, and lastly, Dragonite."

"How good is Gold?" I ask, pocketing the coin to avoid her seeing me store it away.

She shrugs in response. "Better than most, but below what you deserve." She frowns, but continues. "I'd make you Platinum if I could, you took two good hits without any issue, but there's no precedent for a newbie being evaluated so highly. Hunters like you don't just appear from thin air, meaning you're going to get a lot of attention whether you like it or not." She smirks with schadenfreude. "Try not to get yourself killed too soon, yeah?"

I chuckle and say, "I'll do my best."

"I'm sure you don't much care for the details, so I'll keep it short and sweet." She tells me. "Request board is there." She points towards said board, a wall-spanning monstrosity dominated by papers, with not a single free space available. "You may accept requests at or below your current rank. In order to advance ranks, you will be provided a request by the local Guildmaster, that's me, and if you succeed, your rank will officially be updated. Failure, for any reason, results in a year-long penalty, during which you're not permitted to undergo another advancement test."

Her expression had become one of incredible boredom, her eyes drooping and unfocused, her elbow on the counter with her head resting against her palm. She must have given this recital countless times by now.

"Normally, I'd suggest you look around for a Party, but as you can see-" She gestures with her hand to the ghost town that is the Guild building. "-everyone's out trying to strike it rich at the crash site." She sneers at that, and mumbles just loud enough for me to make out. "Idiots."

She drummed her fingers on the countertop. "That's about it. The rest is common sense, and if you don't have that you ain't gonna lost long anyways." She says with finality, her fingers done drumming as she lifts her head, takes a seat in a chair I can't see from this angle, and kicks her feet up.

'So that's the Guildmaster, huh?' Was my thought as I turned to get a look at the Requests Board. I discovered pretty quickly that it followed the theory of 'organized chaos', the requests scaling up in difficulty as you moved further right. The Bronze-ranked requests were essentially chores, labor, or transport. Silver-ranked requests boiled down to pest extermination - the culling of low-ranked monsters causing issues for the area's populace. Gold-ranked requests were where things actually got somewhat interesting - primarily the procurement of dangerous monster parts.

I was surprised that the volume of requests didn't decline as the difficulty increased, but appeared to be about the same, if not slightly higher in quantity.

Unfortunately, none of the requests were particularly interesting, nor challenging, so I returned to the Guildmaster. "Here." She thrust a stack of papers at me as soon as I reached her. "Figured you wouldn't want to waste your time being a merchant's errand boy." She explained as I took the papers and began to leaf through them.

It was a Platinum advancement test, and the target? An Alpha Dire Wolf. I skimmed over the details, taking note of the target's appearance, and location of last sighting. "I'll take it." I tell her, turning to leave when I remembered something. "I'm Ryu, by the way." I was never the greatest at naming, and although 'Ryu', Japanese for Dragon, was a little on the nose, it couldn't be more fitting.

The name got a raised eyebrow from her, "You from Mizuchi?" She paused, humming to herself a moment. "I'm Arya. Happy hunting, Ryu." She says, waving me off.

* * *

I was making 'preparations' for the advancement test, another way to say I was procrastinating, when I stumbled upon a shop I'd not expected to discover in all of Cendor - a slave shop. A chime rang as I pushed open the door, revealing the luxurious interior.

"Good afternoon, Sir, and welcome to the Golden Shackle. My name is Alexander, and I'll be your host. Please, have a seat."

I was greeted by a well-dressed young man, no more than 19 if I had to guess, as soon as the door closed. His appearance triggered my trap warning like no other. He was short, slim, and effeminate. He was rather soft-spoken, had soft facial features, and didn't appear to possess an ounce of muscle. To top it off, he wore a thin, metal collar with golden inlays around his neck. I admit that if he wore a wig and dressed in feminine clothing, rather than the butler suit, I wouldn't be able to tell that he wasn't female.

"What can we do for you today?" He asked.

"I was curious about the shop. I thought slavery didn't exist in Cendor."

Understanding seemed to dawn on the young man's face as he nodded. "Slavery is practiced across the Four Continents in varying degrees. You're a foreigner to these lands, yes?" He asked.

"I am."

"Slavery is a-" Alexander appeared uncomfortable trying to find the right words to say. "-..necessary evil. Most Cendorian slaves are criminals, sentenced to slavery for a time as reparations." He asserts. "It is not permitted to enslave another for any other reason."

"If most of the slaves are criminals, and this is the only permitted reason to enslave another, then where do the remaining slaves come from?"

"I'm glad you asked, Sir. This is the Golden Shackle's specialty. While it is true that you cannot enslave another unwillingly, but if one were to willingly enslave themself then there is no issue."

The proverbial light bulb in my head flickered to life. 'Of course.' I thought. Humanoids are willing to go to great lengths to obtain what they desire, even so far as to sell their souls, let alone their freedom.

"I see. There must be rules or regulations for the sale and purchase of these individuals."

"Yes, Sir. The Golden Shackle strictly adheres to all laws and regulations concerning the acquisition and sale of slaves. Additionally, the individuals for sale set forth their own criteria which must be met before purchase."

"Such as?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "Every individual is unique, Sir, and the criteria varies greatly. Some only wish to serve a female mistress, some will only consider those of nobility, and others may only serve a master capable of besting them in physical combat."

I had to admit, I was intrigued. I'm sure I would have taken issue with the practice of slavery, just on principal, were I still Human, but circumstances have changed. Although I have little experience with owning another, I can say for certain that slavery can be a very beneficial relationship. Sephillia has given herself up completely to me, but has she not earned just as much in return? Thinking of my Demoness only makes me hunger for more.

'But not just any will do.' I think. 'They must be worth it.'

"Do you have any more inquiries, Sir?" He asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yes." I say. "How do we begin?"

Before answering, Alexander fingered through a stack of papers, selecting a handful or so. "Prospective owners are asked to fill out this form." He says, passing me the sheets in hand. "It's optional of course, but providing the requested information will ensure a smooth process." After saying this, he provided me a fountain pen.

The first half of the form requested my preferences for the ideal Slave, and left absolutely nothing to consider. Everything from their appearance to their social standing, from their religious beliefs to their combat ability. There were sections for everything I could think of and more. That thoroughness continued in the second half where I was asked to provide that very same information about myself. That caused me to pause, hesitating for a moment, before ultimately deciding to 'fudge the details a bit'. I didn't much care if the truth of my race or status as a Greater Dragon was eventually publicly disclosed, but it was far too early for that.

A good half an hour or so passed before I finished, and another couple minutes before I was through double-checking, but eventually I'd dotted all my i's and crossed all my t's.

"Thank you, Sir. I'll take a moment to review the provided information and return with a list of suitable individuals." He bowed slightly and left the room after saying so.

I felt like I'd barely begun to relax before Alexander returned with a folder in hand, which he promptly placed atop the low table between us, and said, "I apologize for the wait, Sir." He apologized, but I waved it off, because really the wait was incredibly short in my Mind. "I've compiled a list of all those who match your specifications. Please peruse them at your leisure, and if you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask for assistance."

The folder contained a handful of profiles introducing the slave available for purchase.

At the top of the stack was a female Neko, a native of Mizuchi. She had long, lustrous black hair, and striking, jade-green eyes. Atop her head sat two cute little cat ears with fluffy tufts of white lining the insides. She had a slender tail the same silky black as her hair, but tipped in white like a dipped paintbrush. She was short, just 150cm in height, her physique svelte and supple, but possessing clear musculature. Her physique was built for explosive speed, dexterity, and agility as opposed to raw physical strength and endurance.

There was something that confused me, however, and a glance through the other profiles confirmed that something, or rather, the lack of something. "Why aren't their names given?" I asked Alexander.

"Owners typically prefer to give their slaves new names, and oftentimes slaves themselves wish to receive a new name for a variety of reasons." He explains.

'A variety of reasons.' I thought. I gave myself a new name as a way to move on from the past. I suppose that, for all my change, I'm not so different after all.

"I understand." I tell him.

The diversity of slaves was surprising - a Human, an Elf, an Ogre, a Lizardwoman, and a Kitsune. The Human and Elf were, unsurprisingly, natives of Cendor, but the Ogre was a native of Kaldgrim, the Lizardwoman a native of Ixtacotak, and the Kitsune a native of Mizuchi like the earlier Neko. I stopped myself from asking Alexander the obvious question, realizing that I didn't actually care how they 'procured' their 'goods'.

I considered my options, but my decision had already been made from the beginning. I had to wonder if Alexander intended this or not, considering the Neko's position at the top of the list.

I collect the other five profiles and slip them back inside the folder, leaving the Neko's profile out. "I've made my decision." I tell him, passing him the Neko's sheet.

"Excellent choice, Sir, I-" He was interrupted by the unmistakable roar of a Dragon, causing all color to drain from his face, leaving it a pale ashen white. He immediately ran to the door, threw it wide, and looked towards the sky.

I followed behind the terrified boy, pushing past him to exit into the street where dozens had halted in their tracks, and turned their gaze skyward.

The roar sounded again. Louder. Closer. But still, no sign of the world's apex predator was visible. The sky was overcast, the sun blotted out by a thick blanket of dark gray clouds, and I couldn't help but smile in amusement.

'Clever.' I thought. Masking it's approach by utilizing the elements. 'Why announce it's presence by roaring then?' To incite chaos? Fear?

A bolt of lightning crashed to the earth, the spark that lit the powder keg as a massive black silhouette became visible through the clouds. Cries of alarm and terror pierced the air as all hell let loose. I [Blinked] onto the nearest building, observing the show below me.

There were a handful of distinct reactions to the incoming natural disaster - panic, grim resignation, and lastly, resolve. All those I saw fell into one or more those three categories.

I turned my head back towards the sky as a roar sounded once more, powerful enough to feel it in your chest and shatter glass, and got my first glimpse of my kin.

My immediate reaction was... 'I expected more.' The sight was... underwhelming. His size was significant, but his appearance was... plain. I suppose he should have been quite intimidating what with the lightning arcing across his azure scales, spikes adorning his head like a crown, a maw of razor-sharp teeth visible as he roared, and eyes ablaze with primal fury, but the sight just didn't conjure any powerful emotions for me.

Other than disappointment.

A blue-white light leaked from between his scales, pulsing across his chest, before climbing towards his throat, and finally coalescing in his widened jaw. It was a Dragon's Breath, a Lightning Breath to be precise, and the only indicator before a veritable storm of lightning descended upon the small town.

I reacted on instinct, projecting a dozen Arcane Barrier's overhead.

A cone of lightning descended, obliterating all that it touched, reaping dozens of lives, and demolishing several buildings. The sound of thunderclaps was deafening to the extreme, blocking out all other noise for a time, and if not for my enhanced eyesight, I would have been blinded by the explosion of white.

The opening move had been made, and the battle officially began. The sky was suddenly assaulted by Spellfire from Mages scattered across the town returning fire upon the Dragon, but the vast majority fizzled out before reaching it, and those that did manage to make contact splashed harmlessly off it's scales.

* * *

===Author's Note===

How does a Greater Dragon stack up against his lesser brethren? Will our favorite Dragon get his pet Neko? Will Arya learn of Ryu's true potential?

Tune in next time to find out!

10