Chapter 329: Deus ex Machina
161 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What does it feel to be a 'character'?

Simply, it is staring to another screen and reading their journey. All of their struggles and glory will be seen as a 'book'. No matter how a 'reader' tries to empathize with the 'characters', they couldn't truly understand them.

The Most Ancient Dream's case was the biggest example. The story he weaved couldn't be fully understood without experiencing it himself—and he did exactly that.

This 'reader' wants to do the same, but it must 'reconstruct' everything first. That was the reason behind the 'apocalypse' drawn in this period. 

To be honest, I might've failed without The Root's intervention.

Just as how [Chaos] was allowed to spread in reality, I was granted another chance to rectify things. That time was when the anomaly with Altair occurred. By then, everything went the same, but there are subtle differences—so subtle it wouldn't show its repercussions until now.

"You—!"

For the first time, the faker who copied my appearance wore a shocked expression. The expected 'subtle differences' had finally arrived.

Nothing changed inside the blank room except for the chess board. Several new pieces appeared on my side, pushing his king to a checkmate.

"How do you like it?" I asked. "My plot armor, that is."

"How..?"

"You're a bit dense, aren't you? I have mentioned it already. You never understood us."

The Root couldn't 'fully understand' its 'characters'. That was an absolute thing. However, what if 'The Root' allows itself to be used by its 'characters'.

It results in unimaginable changes.

*****

"You'll feel it when the time comes."

It was Shiro's parting words moments after his disappearance. It transcended space and time as it reached the ears of his trusted friends and lovers. With these eight words, everyone understood its meaning. Add to that the knowledge of Kal'tsit, Shinji, and Kuroneko who briefly connected to the future, it was already a done deal.

Despite the 'time barrier' existing, they managed to retain their future memories. Albeit, Shiro left a special reminder.

"Don't affect what you've seen. Help the variables. Lastly, never concede. I will be there."

Due to those words, the three never divulged much. Romani and the rest understood it. The former had experiences as a former possessor of [Clairvoyance]. There are some things in the future that should be left untouched. 

Since it was Shiro they were talking about, they trusted his judgement.

The chat group members proceeded as usual. They took in new members, accomplished missions, and so on. Meanwhile, Shiro's wives had seemingly disappeared in pursuit for him. Cardinal was the one chosen to 'pass' their message. She also understood Shiro's concerns with the 'things' he left behind.

As for the three people who saw the future, they discreetly fulfilled it. Kuroneko was the designated one to rally the 'variable' <Beyond> for the upcoming 'time' he spoke of.

With that, everything proceeded similarly to the future they saw. Kuroneko was caught by the expanding influence of 'The Root' and had to be guarded by his black sword. Kal'tsit and Shinji completed their responsibilities of spreading UR-rated items to other people.

S@#@$%$#: "Ah. Mic test. Mic test."

S@#@$%$#: "Oops. I never had to do it here."

S@#@$%$#: "I apologize for interrupting. The signal here is quite bad."

Immediately, the rowdy chat group fell silent for a moment.

Shadow: "Isn't this the richest guy?!"

Maou: "You're right..?!"

Rimuru: "Shiro-san?"

Fourteen: "Don't tell me you're asking for money?"

Shadow: "Can you give me something, great-great-richest-benevolent-sama?"

Maou: "I won't stoop as low as you!"

Fourteen: "Foolish humans. I should've destroyed you when I had the chance."

Ilhan: "Please don't take a minority as a general example."

Shinji: "Says the one with a dozen wives and children that could play a football game."

Shinji: "Aniki is finally here!"

The chat group became extremely lively with his addition. Everyone in the chat group knows about 'Shiro' from Rimuru. Although, their knowledge are more limited. The 'leaders' restricted the fact that he created the [Archives] used by the chat group as well as him traveling in time.

[S@#@$%$# has created a new chat room.]

Upon inviting the "leaders", the current <Beyond>, he could finally talk clearly.

S@#@$%$#: "So... This should be the sign."

Romani: "You said that 'you'll feel it'."

Romani: "I never expected something this direct."

S@#@$%$#: "My bad. I said what sounded cooler at that time."

Fourteen: "So? What are you up to?"

S@#@$%$#: "Some very 'important' things. I came here to ask if everyone's ready."

Rimuru: "Ready for what?

S@#@$%$#: "Nothing much. You'll just meet the guy behind everything. By everything, I mean it."

The chat group fell into a momentary silence.

S@#@$%$#: "How are things going on your side, Kuroneko?"

Kuroneko: "Piece of cake. It's completed."

S@#@$%$#: "...Thank you."

S@#@$%$#: "Everyone doesn't need to worry. All I need are your presence. I shall do the rest."

Romani: "Alright. What should we do?"

S@#@$%$#: "Think of me."

Fourteen: "..."

Ilhan: "..."

Romani: "..."

Haruhi: "You're good at jokes!"

S@#@$%$#: "Right?"

A few seconds later, the atmosphere turned serious once again. They followed Shiro's instructions and thought of him, which led to—

"Yawn..."

—this situation.

The hundred or so <Beyond> were surprised to find out they switched perspectives. They are currently facing someone who looked like me. The scattered pieces of the chess board and his empty gaze made them bewildered as to what happened.

I sent an explanation to them. It didn't last a moment before they all calmed down.

How could you..?

It reverted to its previous way of speaking. He showed his 'intent' to reality itself.

'Hm.'

Momentarily, my cognition was overturned.

...

The world turned gray.

"We are both 'The Root', but only I am aware of our single flaw. As a reader, you couldn't fulfill your dream in this way. For this turnaround... a hundred <Beyond> tilts our balance. I simply concealed this possibility and you overlooked it. With that, I won and you lost."

'The Root' was split into two sides. We are of equal standing. However, my decision to 'merge' with 'myself' changed that fact. The other self took advantage of a loophole and came to this place by itself; in sharp contrast to my decision to be with 'Shiro'. I gained full understanding of all this world, yet it didn't.

"From the prologue, it is our inevitable fate."

...

I came back to myself. I sensed that 'The Root' wanted to say something to its counterpart. Everything went back to normal save for the bewildered look of the faker.

"We're done talking. Let's not pad up the word count further. Everything will be resolved after this chapter."

I stopped wasting time. I picked up the king piece on my side.

"I'm sorry to say, but we'll be terminating your career as an author. It's best you remain as a reader... because your novel idea sucks."

Crush-!

"With the power of plot armor..." I muttered. "...this is checkmate."

With this move, reality was overturned.

7