Chapter – 3 Drafted. Drafted..? Drafted!
939 17 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Empire's Defense Law Act 1. 3 -

"All male citizens of the Empire that are aged 16 must faithfully serve in the Empire's Armed Forces for 2 years. Male citizens are able to voluntarily enlist once more if volunteered."

The Empire's Defense Law Exemption Act 1 -

"Students of the Academy are not required to be upheld by the Empire's Defense Law Act 1.3 and are exempted from military service unless they lose their status as a student."

What does this mean?

Basically, if you're a male citizen of the Empire; you're drafted. 

However, if you're a student of the Academy; you are exempted from the draft.

This means most aristocrats don't serve in the armed forces of the Empire; as most of them are students of the Academy - along with a few commoners here and there.

However, unless you get kicked out of the Academy like this dumbass, you're fucked. (me)

 

The Academy; is a one of a kind place.

All fees paid for by the Royal Crown.

With 400 students each grade, starting from the ripe age of 16 - they are given top education by the Academy.

Basically a elite school to nurture future generations of the Empire.

To enter, you have to have immense talent (if you're a commoner).

Or.. you are a noble. (You bribed the examiner.)

Lowan Geldver, was a 1st year of the Academy.

Meaning he was 16.The draft requires 16 year olds to serve.

That means I'm drafted - cause I'm not in the Academy no more!

 

"AT THIS POINT, YOU'RE NOT A HUMAN! YOU'RE NOT A CITIZEN OF THE EMPIRE! YOU'RE NOW A SLAVE OF THE EMPIRE!"

Those were the first words I heard when I stepped into the Army Training Center I was forced into.

Some mighty fine encouraging words for drafted 16 year olds.

Honestly, I kinda wanted to kill myself - but I just stuck up with it.

Like that, 4 weeks of training in a hellhole began.

The instructors had a habit of asking the trainees if they were drafted - to piss them off.

Cause they were indeed drafted!

 

Funnily enough, I didn't need to go through those 4 weeks of training.

 

Reason?

I had noble blood. Nobles who don't go to the Academy are given an officer rank.

So, my humble Army life started as a Junior Lieutenant commanding 20 drafted 16 year olds on the northern front fighting some other drafted 16 year olds or feral magic beasts.

And soon, that small number of 20 men being under my command became 40.

40 became 100.

100 became 200.

200 became 500.

500 became 1000.

And after 3 years of faithfully serving and defending the northern front, at the age of 19 - I was a major.

A major in charge of 1000 men.

-----------------------------------------------------

Within in the northern front, there's a saying.

'The strongest don't survive. They discharge.'

This is due to the fact that on the battlefield, a knight that has been training for years has an equal chance of dying as a lowly spear-man.

The northern front, a place filled with feral magic beasts that could massacre hundreds of soldiers. 

The northern front, coincidentally a place under attack by the Lousern Federation at some times.

If the northern front falls, the Empire falls.

That's why it's such an important strategic point.

However, that doesn't matter anymore.

'Cause I discharge from the armed forces today, after 3 long years.

Today is an important day.

Standing in front of the highest ranking officer of the northern front's office door, I take a deep breath and knock on the door.

KNOCK KNOCK

"Who is it?"

In the room behind the door, a deep, rough voice calls out.

"Major Lowan Geldver of the 1st Special Infantry Bt, Sir."

...

A silence ensued.

"Khmm.. C-come in."

The deep and rough voice calls out again.

As I grab the door handle and enter the room, an old man in a formal military uniform can be seen on a desk full of documents.

"Glory to the Empire."

"Glory."

As I salute the man on the desk, the man saluted me back.

"What is your purpose of visit, Major?"

The man asked.

This man - is the 'General of the Northern Front.' - as an official title.

His actual name is Kroneweg Meldove.

He oversees all military affairs as the highest rank within the northern front.

"I am here to request for a discharge as I have filled my 3 years of service."

All officers of the Empire of the armed forces must receive permission to discharge by their direct superior by law.

"I see.. Well, request denied."

"What?"

What? What? What?

"I mean it. Your request to discharge has been denied.

"Why..?"

"Orders of the Royal family. They want to keep you affiliated with the Empire."

"..."

A greater silence ensued.

"Major? Are you there?"

"So... if the problem is the Royal family... if I kill them, I can discharge. Right?"

"W-wait. Let's not get to there."

"..."

"..."

"...I won't say more. My discharge papers; hand 'em over."


Kroneweg Meldove, the General of the Northern Front was sweating like crazy.

'Maybe I shouldn't have talked about the Royal family..'

The man in front of him, Lowan Geldver, 1st son of the Duke of Geldver was staring at him with eyes that could kill.

Kroneweg Meldove felt like a new recruit fighting a feral magic beast.

Of course, General Kroneweg Meldove could order Lowan Geldver to get out of his office as his direct superior, but Lowan Geldver was a different issue.

Like that, Kroneweg had to fix this issue quick.

"Of course I want to let you go. Who else deserves to be discharged as much as you?"

"Right? Think of how many things I've done for the Empire."

"But you should know as well, the Empire won't let you out of their grasp."

"..."

It was as Kroneweg said. The 19 year old man in front of him might have been a lowly junior officer 3 years ago, but now, he was currently one of the Empire's most valued individuals.

Kroneweg himself could vouch for Lowan's value as both a combatant and a desk-worker.

"So you can't discharge me? I'm about go crazy."

"Haha.. no need to be so pessimistic. We are going to double your pay. How cool is that?"

"Don't need it. If you don't hand those papers over, or I'm deserting."

"I have a family.. Please."

"Do I look like I'm joking? Woohoo desertion!!"

"W-wait!"

Seeing Lowan actually prepare to jump out the window of the office caused a panic response. 

But what can he do? The Royal family told him that he shouldn't let Lowan discharge at all costs.

'Hah... I want to retire.'

'General of the Northern Front'? 

What's the use of that if he's going to be fucked over by his subordinate and his superior both at once?

General Kroneweg had to resort to the final measure.

"Alright! I'll discharge you!"

"Really??"

Lowan Geldver stared at Kroneweg as if he was about to cry of happiness.

"But!! You need to still work for the Empire."

"What? Fuck no."

"Lowan, what do you think about governmental work?"

"Shit. Why?"

"How about working for the Ministry of Finance? I'll transfer you."

The reason for this proposal was due to the fact that Lowan was extraordinary good at looking over finance and military logistics.

"...Sure."

"You'll receive triple the pay - Wait what?"

"Sure."

"Are you for real?"

Kroneweg couldn't help but ask again. Lowan Geldver, the officer that always kept saying something about escaping the grasps of the Empire, accepting his proposal?

To be quite frank, Kroneweg didn't have high hopes that Lowan would accept his proposal.

"A-alright. I'll hand over your discharge papers tomorrow."

"Alright."

The Royal family probably just wants Lowan Geldver to be under their grasp for the time being - so Kroneweg wouldn't have a problem transferring Lowan to the Ministry of Finance.

.. Probably.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

40