Chapter 4. I’m F*cked
1.1k 12 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The 1st Special Infantry Batallion. An independent unit that I command.

The 1st Special Infantry Bt. is an experimental battalion that was created by myself within the Empire's armed forces to directly copy the concept of a "Special Operations Forces" unit back on Earth.

The reason it's experimental is because a unit with a mission statement of such hasn't existed at all till now.

This is because up till all this time, "Knights" with some weird-ass supernatural power called "Aura" ruled the battlefield - therefore there was no need for an expensive elite unit when you could just wipe out a whole army with a few powerful knights.

However, Knights were not an entity under the jurisdiction of the armed forces. They had an entirely separate command and rank structure called the "Knight Order" - Similar to how a police force isn't under the jurisdiction of Department of Defense.

This caused for some communications problems and jurisdictional problems within the battlefield when two allied fighting forces were merged.

So, I just proposed a special unit with top tier training, equipment, and tactics to be made without being a separate entity within the armed forces.

Basically, a unit with unconventional tactics and better equipment than your average drafted conscript that's still under the command of the Empire's armed forces HC.

Up till now, the effectiveness of this battalion has been proven with a few successful exploits against foes.

However, High-command are still unsure if this "idea" of a unit would be effective when mass produced into actual divisions out of experimental status.

This is why the 1st Special Infantry Battalion isn't known that well to the public unless you have access to some information - it's just another crazy experiment by the armed forces to the public.

Because I'm finally leaving, there needs to be someone to oversee the whole battalion in place of me.

I went to Kyle, the 2nd highest ranking soldier within 1st Special Infantry Bt.

"Kyle."

"Yes, Sir."

"You're commanding this battalion now."

"What?"

"I'm discharging today."

"Are you for real?"

"Yep. So, I'll be going."

"Wai-"

Like that, I vanished into thin air with an official(?) notice.

On this other faithful day, I'm free.


Finally outside the northern front, I head to the capital via carriage - with a notice of transfer from General Kroneweg and some of my personal stuff in a briefcase.

The capital is where all the important government facilities, the academy, the crown, and more are.

Due to the fact that I transfer as a Major, I receive an equivalent rank as a finance section leader within the Ministry of Finance.

 

There's a few good reasons on why I accepted General Kroneweg's offer to be transferred into the Ministry of Finance.

First, there's experience.

I was a civil servant in my previous life before I took the body of Lowan Geldver.

Specifically, I worked for the Internal Revenue Service.

(The Internal Revenue Service is an agency that is responsible for the collection of tax, investigation of finance, etc, within the United States.)

A few months ago, I thought about my future.

What would I do after I discharge?

I've been temporarily exiled from the Duke of Geldver still - so I can't go back to my "family".

While I do have lots of money stocked up from my service within the armed forces - and could probably play around for the rest of my life,

I want to be a productive member of society.

So, I was deciding on taking up some desk job.

Coincidentally, General Kronweg offered me a stable desk job as a civil servant.

I had to use my previous life experience somewhere.

 

Second, the progress of the novel.

While the novel, "The Academy's Strongest Swordsman" was a innocent novel meant for 11 year olds, there are underlying dark bits that isn't really noticeable until you think about it.

Such as, corruption, sex trafficking, prostitution, and other illegal services.

Specifically corruption.

I've already ravaged 80% of the corruption going around within the northern front in terms of the armed forces.

However, it's different for the bureaucratic section.

Corruption ultimately causes the downfall of the Empire and humanity.

If the Empire's nobles and government body supported the main character with all their might as a representative of humanity, the main character probably would've won against the demon king.

The numerous chances that were cut off by the corruption and prejudice of the nobles to make the main character stronger caused the main character to be weaker than he could be.

Here comes my purpose.

Cut off the major bits of corruption while working for the Ministry of Finance.

Support the main character as the 1st son of a duke family and help him get through the prejudices and mental attacks.

Then,

The main character and his love interests beat the demon king, humanity is saved.

I hand down my successor position as the first son of a duke to my little brother, then retire to some countryside and get married with some kind and caring woman.

Boom. Happy ending.

No one dies and humanity doesn't go extinct because a few nobles didn't want to give up their pride. (Like Lowan Geldver)

Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted.

"We're here, Sir."

It was the carriage driver notifying me that I finally arrived to the heart of the Empire, the capital.

"Thank you."

As I handed the carriage driver his pay, he interjected.

"Seems like you're a soldier coming back home. The fee's on me."

I forgot.

I was wearing my formal uniform within the Empire's armed forces when being discharged.

Specifically, an officer's uniform.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course."

I didn't ask more since the carriage driver seemed insistent.

Though, I did remember the carriage driver's face just in case I can help him with something in the future.

"Thank you."

"No problem."

I got off the carriage and went through the gates of the capital.

While most people are stopped by a security check when going through the capital, I was given a freebie due to my officer uniform.

A few soldiers guarding the gate even saluted me with a firm body posture.

"Glory."

"Glory."

God bless this fucking Empire and their power imbalance.

Like that, I passed the admission process which would usually take hours within seconds.


The streets of the capital are beautiful.

Full of lively people and eye-catching medieval architecture.

I was planning on relaxing for the day before getting into official shit tommorrow.

While sightseeing the streets for a short bit, I look for an inn to put my stuff in for a bit.

'The Fiat Inn'

Seeing an inn with a similar name to a car company(?) back on Earth, I enter out of curiosity.

"Welcome!"

In front, a receptionist with a smile greets myself.

"Hello. May I have a room for one day?"

"Sure! Single sized bedroom?"

"Yes."

"It's 100 Kroners in total."

I give the receptionist 100 Kroners and receive my room key.

'Room 13'

I opened the door for room 13 and just tossed my stuff on the ground and decided to take a quick nap.

After all, travelling for a few days in a carriage is exhausting.

As my thoughts wondered off, I closed my eyes.

***

'Fuck.'

I overslept.

I was planning on waking up around 7:00 and eat dinner and take a walk.

It's currently 9:30.

Well, better late than never. It's not like I'm that hungry. I can skip dinner.

As I was preparing to change, I realized I had no change of clothes - so I just went out with my formal officer uniform.

As I go out of my room and head outside the inn, I admire the clean streets of the Empire.

Of course, if you go a bit further within the alleyways you're bound to go some nasty places.

The night was lit by magically conducted lamp posts - with vendors opening booths of snacks till late at night.

On the street, are couples, families, or other single people like me.

"Mom, look! Handsome man!"

As I walking, I was stopped by a 5 year old girl.

"I'm so sorry.."

The girl's mom, ran forward and apologized.

"Haha.. It's okay. Kids, right?"

"Yes.. Well have a nice day."

The mom then took the girl and walked away.

Like that little girl said, Lowan Geldver, I, was handsome.

Very much so.

Black hair, endless black eyes, and exquisite facial features.

That's all defining my face.

Don't know why, but the author made it so that a 3rd rate villain's face was on par with the facial features of the main character.

Well, it benefits me, so I don't care.

Facial features are 50% of the first impressions, according to my brain.

Reminded of one of the only benefits of this body (looking handsome), I felt good.

That was until, I heard a shout of a young woman.

Of course, nobody else noticed the shout as it wasn't really noticeable.

However, as a man who practiced listening to the most random shit, I knew.

Someone was in danger.

Of course, I have to help.

Do you know how sensitive fuckers are these days?

If you can't stop a crime as a civil servant within 100 feet of your area, the blame goes on you.

This counts even for people who are preparing to be civil servants.

Literally.

'You work for the glorious Empire and can't stop a single crime near your area? You call yourself a civil servant?' - My future superiors, probably.

It's worse if you're a son of a duke, even if you are temporarily exiled.

Such is the bat shit crazy accountability system of this fucking Empire.

Therefore; I quickly ran into the dark alleyway where the shout was heard.

The dark alleyway was littered with a bit of shit, trash, and sexual materials(?) in a healthy portion - along with some dying homeless dude.

This is the reality of the Empire.

Not really mentioned in the novel, but there was a number of "slums" within the Empire, even in the glorious capital.

97% were functioning aspects of normal society, 3% was a gateway to crime.

You just had to search hard enough to find these places.

Of course, you can guess what would happen if a woman went into these dark alleyways.

Especially if you heard a woman's shout.

As I approached the source of the shout, I saw 3 burly, tan, bald men surrounding a hooded woman. (I have nothing against people who are tan, I'm just writing the normal cliche of most novels when they find some woman surrounded by tan bald gangsters.)

Observing, it was obvious what it was.

Attempted sexual harassment. (In softer terms.)

I dashed, and pushed one of the tan burly bald dudes into a wall.

CRACK!

Fuck. I put too much force.

The dude who I pushed into the wall collided head first onto the stone wall and cracked the stone - falling unconscious.

"W-what the fuck? Who the fuck are you?"

One of the other burly bald dudes asked.

I ignored his question and punched him in the face.

BAM!

"Fuck! My nose!!"

The burly bald dude fell on the ground and rolled around in pain.

The one remaining gangster opted for running away.

"F-fuck. Get away!!"

I chased after him and kicked his shins.

He also rolled around in pain.

The Empire's Law & Order Act Regarding Aristocrats Act 1.1 - 

"All aristocrats are able to perform a 'citizen's arrest' arrest when faced with a situation of unlawful events - and such is the responsibility of an aristocrat of the Empire."

Right now, I have the power and responsibility to arrest these 3 dudes.

"You are all under arrest by the Empire's Law & Order Regarding Aristocrats Act 1.1 for attempted sexual harassment."

As I kicked the rolling dudes and the unconscious fucker into a corner of the wall, I went to the hooded woman seeing as the offenders were securely immobilized.

With my softest voice, I asked.

"Are you okay?"

The hooded woman, though with a slightly trembling voice, said,

"Y-yes.. Thank you."

Of course, I ain't no saint. I don't have any reason to comfort this woman right now.

However, if this woman talks good things about me, I have an advantage.

Reputation +. Plus, if this gets into the ears of my family, they'll think I changed and accept me into the juicy & rich Duke family.

"Are you sure? I can bring you to the constable corps station if you want."

"Yes.."

As the hooded woman looked up, her hood fell off her head, revealing the woman's identity.

Beneath the hood, was a beautiful woman with silver hair and light blue eyes.

Seeing her face, I gasped.

Not because she was beautiful, but because I knew I fucked up.

The woman's identity - was the one and only saintess of the Holy Church. 

She is also one the main love interests of the main character.

Hahah.

God help me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

42