Chapter 6: Rite of Names
410 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Little foxy! I'm back!" Mikoto called out in the sewers.

 

Eventually a large red fox rounded a corner and looked at her angrily.

 

"I would prefer if you didn't call me that."

 

"Then, may I use your name? I'm sure that you've already heard my new name is Mikoto Hyuga. I would greatly appreciate hearing yours." Mikoto did a small curtsy before looking the fox in its eyes. Although he looked displeased, the fox still spoke.

 

"…I suppose a promise is a promise. My name is Kurama. Are you happy now?"

 

"Very! Thank you for telling me your name, Kurama!"

 

While Kurama was looking slightly uncomfortable with Mikoto's ecstatic reaction, Mikoto was busy falling into deep thought. Kurama stared at her as she floated on the spot, staring at the ground as if the rest of the world didn't even exist.

 

She jerked her head up, startling Kurama with the speed at which she did so, "Ah, however, there is one important thing. Do you remember the freeloaders I mentioned?"

 

"Yes, why?"

 

"They tend to attack anyone they perceive as an outsider. Naturally, you're an outsider at the moment. Although I don't know if they were able to cross the universal boundary with me, I would rather not risk you getting hurt."

"What are you getting at?" Kurama's gums began to curl back but he didn't move. "Are you calling me weak or planning on freeing me after forcing me to tell you my name?"

 

"Neither! Become part of my family. Not some temporary Hyuga affiliation, but a true connection. Specifically, I want you to become part of my familia." Seeing Kurama tilt his head, she continued, "My familia consists only of those that are close to me and hold my original family name. All we need to do is perform the Rite of Names. I will bestow you with my surname and at that point our souls will become linked; you will become my kin. This comes with a load of benefits but I'm no saleswoman. I will just say that there are no downsides for either of us, so long as we can be cordial with one another. If you happen to be wondering why I want to do this, the reasons are quite simple. First, of all the beings around your age that I've met, you are the most straightforward; I respect that and want to preserve it. Second, I suspect that I will be mostly alone for years to come and would like to have a talking partner that I enjoy being around. Third, I just think that you're cute."

 

"You- what are you saying? Don't think you can trick me with honeyed words!"

 

"I'm not trying to trick you. I swear on my many lives."

Instead of a curtsy, Mikoto bowed to Kurama. He lied down and looked to the side, his face partially covered by his paws.

 

"…Fine. Let's just get it over with. I would rather not get killed by the psychopaths living in your mind."

 

Mikoto chuckled.

 

"Of course, please look at me and bring your face to my hands."

 

Kurama took a moment before bringing his face to hers. Though he was too large for them to see eye to eye, Mikoto was unfazed and gently took his snout in her hands. Pressing her forehead to Kurama's fur, Mikoto closed her eyes and the sewer lights dimmed. The only visible beings were her and Kurama, the rest of the world fading into nothing. Mikoto began speaking.

 

"I, Mikoto Xandros, hereby indoctrinate you into my familia. From this moment forward we will be as one, always together in spirit. As matriarch, I will always come to your aid, and I hope that you will come to mine. We will share our strengths and my powers will one day become yours, should you train to inherit them. You bear my mark, and any enemy of yours will know fear. Now, rise! Rise under your new name, Kurama Xandros!"

 

Kurama stood and let out a mighty roar, shaking the waters of the sewer, turning them even more violent. The water took on an orange-red tint as the lights briefly turned to flames. While this happened, Mikoto floated in place and smiled at Kurama.

 

"I'm glad you're happy with your new name, Kurama."

"I am. Though I'm ashamed to admit it, I was still distrustful of you up until this moment. I felt somewhat forced into this as you could have extinguished my life at any moment. Now, though,  I can feel newfound powers at the edge of my reach and for a brief moment I felt exactly what your intentions were. You truly meant what you said. I promise that I will help you when you call for me. Also, you have a great amount of charisma, and I am sure that you won't be alone for as long as you think."

 

Kurama lowered his head, once again trying to hide his face behind his paws.

 

"It's fine, truly. Even I know that everything I've said is hard to believe. I'm just glad that things worked out in the end. As for me being alone, we'll see. If the rest of the Hyuga are anything like their annoying clan head, I may even be abused for a few years."

 

"If they try, I will kill them myself. You're far too kind."

 

Mikoto blinked once. Twice. Three times. After that she gave Kurama a wry smile.

 

"I'm not so sure about me being kind… Rather, nobody has given me sufficient reason to be angry yet. For their sake though, let's hope that they don't cross any lines," her face lost its smile and turned viscious, albeit only briefly. It felt as if the darkness in her pupils could swallow the world whole and Kurama felt his stomach drop when seeing the expression on Mikoto's face.

 

"However, I still won't take it too far. I've grown up since my planet-smashing days. Besides, as I am currently, I would need to practically obliterate my soul to destroy anything on the scale of a planet."

 

"I am grateful for the fact that I hold no care for any of the shinobi in this world. Otherwise I would end up feeling sorry for anyone that crosses you."

 

"I'm flattered. Well, Natsu has returned with food so I should probably go. I'll talk to you again soon, Kurama. If you need anything, I've left a mental link in place so you should be able to call for me at any time."

 

"See you, Mikoto."

 

Mikoto once again flitted out of existence and left Kurama by himself.

 

"Alone again in the sewers. I can't say it's the most pleasant feeling, but at least I have a conversation partner I can trust. I haven't experienced that since my time with Hagoromo. Still, the darkness in her eyes feels disturbing beyond belief. I've been called evil but from what I feel, the energy within her is far more malevolent than mine…"

 

Kurama laid down and reflected on the day's events. Thinking about his capture, then viewing Natsu's treatment through her eyes, and finally his joining of her familia. He kept thinking various thoughts while Mikoto was having a meal outside. Eventually, he dozed off soon after Mikoto did.

 

People are out of character and there's rushed developments? It's more likely than you think. I can't wait to become a better writer so I can redo these chapters in the future.

23