Complications
660 21 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

           I woke up the following morning with Fyre holding me tightly from behind. I snuggled into him with a smile as he unconsciously gripped me tighter. After last night it was safe to say we were dating now. Well, at least that had been our agreement when they had me tied to their bed and had been slowly kissing up my side. The rest of the night he had shown me things I had never really considered, like how nice it felt to be spanked. I wiggled slightly and they woke up behind me.

           “Someone feeling happy this morning?” They asked and lightly kissed the back of my neck making me feel comfortable and safe.

           I nodded and turned to kiss them. Their lips were soft against mine as they tangled their hands in my hair and firmly rolled me onto my back. I found my legs wrapped around them as they sat up. I followed his gaze for a moment to the nightstand where their strap-on sat after seeing fairly recent use on me. I blushed deeply and he sighed.

           “Unfortunately, I don’t have time for that today, c’mon you sexy thing let's go shower and I will get you some breakfast before I head off to work,” Fyre said and started to get up.

           I locked my ankles behind their back with a mischievous smile, “I thought you worked from home, babe.” I said innocently as if I was not grinding on them.

           They wrapped their hand slowly around my neck and squeezed. I gasped as they forced my chin back with their thumb. Slowly they leaned down and bit my neck above their hand. The pressure increased until I whimpered and they let go with their teeth causing me to moan.

           Their lips found my ear and nibbled gently on the lobe, “I do lovely,” There was a slow growl from them as they exhaled, “I do have to go in occasionally though and if you keep this up I will be late because someone needs to be reminded who is in charge.”

           I shuddered and squeaked slightly as I let my legs untangle from behind them.

           “Good girl,” Fyre said and slowly climbed off of me.

           I groaned and looked down to see that I was already suddenly very aroused.

           Fyre looked at me with a cheeky smile, “Come on shower time.”

           I rolled my eyes and climbed out of bed. I padded barefoot after them into their nice fairly nice shower. It was nothing like that hotel shower, but I liked the soft intimacy I shared with Fyre. Our bodies rubbed together under the water as we squeezed by each other to get soap and lather each other up.

           It would be a lie to say that we showered efficiently, but it was more efficient than it could have been. After all, I ended up on my knees servicing them only once. We got dressed amongst multiple shared kisses and walked out the door holding hands. I was on cloud nine, I was dating my best friend who I felt so very strongly for. I looked at them and smiled as I admired them. They were such wonderful human beings and I was so grateful for him to be in my life.

           I leaned my head on their shoulder and reveled in the smell of their cologne.

           Fyre looked over at me, “You ok girl?”

           I nodded, “Just being very grateful for the twists and turns my life has taken.”

           He smiled and tilted my head so he could kiss me. We stood there on the street and kissed for a long moment. Probably longer than what most would consider proper for the public. I definitely did not care.

           There was a low cough that interrupted us.

           Fyre gently broke the kiss and positioned themselves in between me and the cough, “You got a problem?” He asked roughly of the man who had coughed

           There was something off about the man. He was wearing what could be considered normal clothes. A pair of slacks and a button-down shirt. He had a rosary wrapped around one of his wrists and a silver cross necklace. In his hand, he held something that looked like a bulky cellphone.

           He bowed his head, “I am sorry to interrupt the two of you, but I need to ask you a few questions.” His brown eyes were far too cold. Like he was analyzing us.

           “Hey, how about you go ahead and fuck off instead,” Fyre snapped, “C’mon Alex let’s go.” Fyre took my hand and we started walking past him.

           The device then beeped harshly as I passed. The man’s arm came down and grabbed my arm, “I am afraid ma’am that I need to speak with you.”

           I yelped in surprise and Fyre leaped into action. His fist connected with the man’s face and knocked him away from me. The strange man stumbled back and Fyre took my hand.

           “RUN!” He instructed and we took off running. I felt fear in my spine. That man radiated bad vibes in the worst of ways. Five blocks later we slowed down. I was panting heavily, that was the most exertion I have had in months.

           I leaned heavily on the building next to me as Fyre smirked at me with their chest heaving slightly, “Winded babe? That was only a short run.”

           I rolled my eyes and stood up straight, “Who the fuck was that guy?” I asked with irritation.

           Fyre shrugged, “I dunno, but stiffs like him are never good news. Especially with that whole cross vibe.”

           “Well let’s forget him and eat.” I chimed in. I wanted to forget the unnerving experience as soon as I could.

           We soon found ourselves in a little coffee shop with small breakfast sandwiches and some coffee. I was cuddled up nicely to my partner with my feet tucked up under me as we wait.

           Once again, we were interrupted by the same guy who had stopped us in the street sliding into the opposite side of the booth.

           Fyre sat up and grabbed my hand, but a second individual moved to block us in the booth by standing in front of the end preventing us from just dashing off.

           “I am sorry to interrupt,” The man’s tone was frigid. His face was slightly red on one side where Fyre had punched him, “But I have questions that must be answered.”

           “How about you show a badge or fuck off,” Fyre snarled. I saw he had already dialed the emergency number. This meant he was desperate. Fyre hated the police.

           “Your phones will not work currently; we have disconnected cellular signals to this area.” The man said and clasped his hands on the table in front of him.

           Sure enough, the rest of the little café started cursing as they realized their phones were not working.

           “Who the fuck are you?” Fyre asked in shock.

           “None of your business, Katherine Johnson, or Fyre as your legal name is now,” The man said evenly without a twitch, “Now be quiet or leave. Our business is not with you. I am sure you understand what it means that I have that information.”

           “Fuck you, and leave Alex out of this. What I do in my spare time is my business,” Fyre was starting to look nervous.

           “I do not care about any of your little hacking adventures Mr. Fyre. This is beyond that and concerns Alex Orwell here,” He paused and looked at Fyre, “Quite frankly if you leave now, this process will be much easier.”

           I suddenly felt sick, my former manager had often bragged about having connections in the mob. I always thought he had been posturing, but now it was looking very real. “Fyre goes,” I said quietly, “I am not worth you getting hurt over.”

           Fyre shook their head, “No fuck this.” They tossed their still-hot coffee onto the guy to our left. He yelped and fell back.

           It was not much but gave us room to sprint past him. Fyre was dragging me along and I was holding onto his hand like it was my single anchor.

           We made it out the door and I took the lead, “Let’s go to Azrael’s hotel, he can help us!”

           Fyre paused and shook their head, “No he might have sent those goons after you.”

           I laughed almost maniacally, “Trust me, he does not need to do that.” I dragged them after me as we walked quickly. At Fyre’s instruction, we tossed our phones in a trash can.

           We had almost made it to the massive hotel when they found us again. A nondescript white car squealed to a stop behind us and the same two from the café plus two more exited the car.

           We both swore and started sprinting for the hotel, I heard what sounded like several harsh coughs and Fyre grunted, but we made it inside the doors. At my approach, the door guard just moved out of the way.

           I led us to the elevator and pulled Fyre in behind me. I hit the button for penthouse and slammed my purse with the keycard against the reader, “Made it.” I said in relief. I looked back and saw Fyre slump against the wall. They were grey in the face.

           They smiled weakly as I saw the pool of blood around their feet, “I don’t think I did.” Their voice was weak and they crumpled into a pile. I screamed their name and turned them over. I saw the exit wounds which looked like the size close to my fist. They had been shot. I remembered the cough sounds and realized that had been a gun.

           I tore off my shirt and pressed it to the wounds.

           His bloody hand caressed my face, “I love you, babe, it is ok.” Then their eyes drooped closed. I screamed as the door opened.

           “ALEX?” I heard Azrael boom from behind me and the sound of him running to the elevator.

           I turned to the red-skinned demon sprinting towards us, “HELP HIM, THEY’RE DYING!!!” I screamed.

           Azrael did not hesitate and scooped Fyre up in his arms. In a flash, he had moved to the dinner table and cut off Fyre’s clothes. He dropped his ear to Fyre’s mouth and swore.

           I clutched his shirt from behind as he worked chanting in that dark demonic language. The wounds closed with dark tattoos were swirls of the demonic script. Still, Fyre did not breathe in deeply. Instead, I saw a shuddering exhale. I could almost feel them slipping away.

           “Azrael, please, please, save them,” I begged.

           Azrael paused for a moment then swore in at least three languages, “I am going to catch so much shit for this. Fuck it.” He pulled out a dinner knife and cut the inside of his wrist. He then began to chant in that twisted language that seemed to layer over itself in language after language. Then I understood it. There were hundreds of his voice repeating itself in every language. Then I heard English and it echoed in my head.

 

 

 

 

Drink deep this lifeblood,

Reject the false light,

Reject the broken order,

Join me in eternal night,

Surrender that cursed mortality,

Taste the elixir of hell,

And fall with me.

He pressed his wrist to Fyre’s mouth and his black blood trickled inside. Nothing happened. Azrael turned to me with sadness in his eyes, “I am sorry they chose to pass on.”

I felt a wracking cry rise inside me, a sorrow I could not express.

Then Fyre grabbed Azrael’s wrist suddenly and latched on with a fierce bite that made Azrael’s lip curl. I saw them swallow and drink like Azrael’s blood was the best thing they had ever tasted. Their grip began to tighten. Then they let go and black blood was trickling down around their mouth. Fyre sat up and gasped.

Azrael stepped back and gave them space.

“What the fuck? I thought I died!” They exclaimed, I saw them look down where they had been shot and the puddle of blood, “What the fuck?! I was shot!”

I noticed their skin was missing the demonic script that was there earlier.

Azrael was still in very much demonic form, still recognizable, but taller and a lot scarier, “It was a close thing Sir Fyre, the lady brought you here and begged me to save you. I thought initially you had chosen to move on.”

“Uh, Alex?” Fyre actually looked at Azrael, “The fuck is that? Why does it look like Azrael and sound like him, but is you know like deviant art demon?”

Azrael snorted and looked at me as if it was my problem as he used a napkin to bind his wrist and went to the kitchen.

I looked at Fyre who was looking at me with hazel eyes. Were they getting darker and more intense? I swallowed with my suddenly dry mouth, “Uh yeah, Azrael kind of is a demon.”

Fyre blinked very slowly, “Say what?”

I nodded, “Yeah, I accidentally summoned him.”

Fyre looked at Azrael who was draining a bottle of wine in the kitchen, then back to me, “How the fuck do you accidentally summon a demon?”

“I have been asking myself for the last several days,” Azrael rumbled, “The closest answer I got was too much anime and doodles.”

Fyre slapped their face, “I am dead and this is some kind of hallucination. I signed on for Vahalla I thought.” He stared hard at Azrael and saw the dark-stained napkin around his wrist, “Did I drink your blood? Wait, what did you do?”

Azrael took another swig, “Alex begged me to save you, I tried some healing magic of my variety, little bonds that you could have paid back with candy. But you were too far gone.”

“What?!” I asked in shock, “But they’re here and they are alive!”

“Indeed, they took the choice I gave them,” Azrael answered.

“What do you mean choice?” Fyre asked hopping off the table completely shirtless, “And why is it so hot in here?”

“At the line between life and death, I can offer the soul a choice. To continue on to whatever they want, or to fall like me.” Azrael set the wine down, “You chose to fall. And yeah, give it a little a bit that heat is about to get a lot worse.”

“What?!” Fyre exclaimed. Their eyes were definitely starting to glow.

“Azrael?” I felt my voice shaking, “You mean fall with a capital F?”

He nodded, “It was the only way they would survive, only a miracle would have saved their mortal body and miracles are beyond me these days.”

“I am a demon?” Fyre asked in shock, “But, but-”

“You knowingly took my offer, remember?” Azrael snarled, “They're in the place between; I told you what you would lose and what you would gain. You chose this!”

Fyre was silent for a moment and the whites of their eyes turned to the black of night and their irises turned a molten red, “I remember.” They turned to me with a strange look and smiled, “Is this going to hurt?” They asked while looking at me.

“Like you would not believe,” Answered Azrael, “Your body is about to change and it is going to suck.”

“Fuck,” Fyre said and then they hissed in pain and clutched their sides. The breasts they once had disappeared into their chest. They grew and the sounds of bones crunching became audible. Glowing red horns emerged from the temples of his head. Unlike the long obsidian horns of Azrael, these were short nubs still on the side of his head. They fell to the ground and a small pair of wings emerged from their back and their legs lengthened and reshaped into something more predatory and feral. They sprouted sharp claws from their hands with a scraping noise as they curled their hands into fists. He arched his back with a loud crack and two black tails came spiraling out from his tailbone. He spat and teeth fell from his mouth he stood up with a far more feral grin. He had three fangs on the top and bottom. He rolled his head and then hissed and fell to his knees. His hands flew to his crotch and he yelped.

“Azrael what is happening to them?” I asked fearfully. I was worried too much would change.

“Their body is shifting to what they want it to be,” He answered watching the transformation with a cautious eye, “It is much more…animalistic than I expected.”

I looked back and saw Fyre rubbing their groin and then yelling in delight, “I HAVE A COCK!!”

I blinked in shock, “Uh what?”

Fyre rounded on me with a fanged smile. Despite the metamorphosis, it was still him. I could see it in his eyes, the way they moved, how their lips curled up in that smile. A smile that was becoming more lecherous by the second, “I. Have. A. Cock,” They licked their lips and looked me up and down, “Wanna see?”

Azrael sighed dramatically, “I will be out for a bit, the two of you have a few hours, make good use of it.” Azrael entered the elevator and pressed the buttons inside. As the doors shut, I felt butterflies in my stomach.

Azrael’s presence had been the only thing holding Fyre back. Without it, well, the distance between us became zero in an instant. His eyes had been smoldering as he waited for the elevator doors to close. They scooped me up and literally tore the clothes from my body. I yelped and moaned in equal amounts as their new claws delicately grazed my body. Soon I was naked before them.

“Payback time,” Fyre rumbled and tore their own damaged pants off. Their tails lashed around and pulled my legs apart. He was now sporting a cock the same color as the night sky and there was a suspicious and intimidating knot at the bottom.

“Really?” I panted while staring at their new appendage which glistened wetly. I suspected I would not need lube by design.

“You knew I was a furry going into this, no way in hell I was going to pass this up,” he snarled and pounced on me. His cock rubbed against my own hardness as his lips found mine. I moaned into him as he ground against me and caressed every inch of me. His rumbling began to grow in fervor. “Fuck Alex, you feel so fucking good.” His sharp teeth found my neck and gently bit down.

I moaned and felt my hands grip his back as his fingers found the swell of my slowly growing breasts. He tweaked my nipples and I almost came then. In fact, my entire body began to grow warm with desire. I needed him now, I needed them so badly inside me. “Fyre please,” I begged with a whimper.

“As you wish love,” He put his fairly sizeable cock at my opening. I felt my eyes widen for a moment, it felt even bigger than before, “Fyre?” I heard a tremor in my voice.

“Don’t worry, it will fit,” They growled into my ear. Then they pushed into me. For a moment I felt like I was being split in two, then it slipped in me and the heat in my belly exploded, “Yessss!!!” I yelled in pleasure as he seated his cock into me. The only thing remaining outside of me was his knot. They began to slowly rock inside of me. I felt them moving inside of me and came. It was like every stroke ignited new pleasure endings inside me. For a moment they went slow and steady, gently coaxing orgasm after orgasm out of me. Then something shifted. They growled from their position inside of me and I found them lifting me off of them and flipping me over. A sharp slap to my ass left me moaning.

“There we go that’s the view I love,” I could hear the smirk in their voice as they thrust in me with a heavy groan, “Fuck this feels so much better than I thought it would.”

I could only whimper as he began to eagerly thrust in me. This time there was no awkward position to stop his thrusts into me. What was once gentle became steadily rougher as I felt myself melting on their cock. Each thrust pressed the knot harder and harder against me, just a tad deeper each time. I felt his claws digging into my hips as he pulled me onto him over and over. Then it happened.

With a pop, I felt down to my toes the knot slipped inside me and then back out. I saw sparks as I orgasmed again at the sensation. It was so unlike anything I had ever experienced before and then it happened again. I felt my toes spasm and my eyes roll back into my head as Fyre mercilessly pounded me, each thrust going deeper and deeper. His balls slapped against my own. My orgasms just bled together as I screamed out in pleasure with every thrust. Then the knot swelled inside me and was locked together.

“I’m cumming Alex,” Fyre whispered in my ear.

“I love you!” I moaned as I felt his warm seed pour into me and send sparks of pleasure throughout my body. I knew then if I had a womb, he would have knocked me up.

Like they were reading my mind, “You like being bred huh?”

I moaned and writhed on his cock. Normally I could start recovering after they pulled out of me, but with the knot, I was stuck in a perpetual pleasure loop. Especially as they took advantage of my helpless state. Over and over, they rubbed my nipples and cock causing me to just moan constantly. I was not even sure if I was orgasming anymore. It all just felt so good. I finally slumped against Fyre’s chest, “I need to take a breather,” I panted, “You are going to make me pass out.

Their chuckle was a rumble, but they just took my hands instead and we waited together. This is how I learned if stayed still he got softer quicker, but if I wriggled any progress disappeared. Finally, he was soft enough for me to pull off and I felt his cum coat the inside of my legs as I stood shuddering over him.

Of course, this was when Azrael showed back up. The elevator dinged and we both looked at it like a caught pair of teenagers. Azrael arched an eyebrow as he walked past us. He set groceries on the kitchen counter, “Looks like you two had fun.” He began pulling out various products and lots of steaks.

Fyre surprised me when they spoke, “You know you could take a ride too, I think you’d have some fun on my new addition.”

Azrael chuckled, “Oh, trying this are you?”

Fyre stood up and I sat on the couch. There was a weird tension in the air. It was not like jealousy, but more like when two predators cross paths. I was still breathing hard and watching. Fyre stalked over to the kitchen.

“I have to say your ass looks very nice in the slacks,” Fyre winked at Azrael.

Azrael continued to put away the groceries and did not look up, “This will not go the way you think it will Sir Fyre.” There was a note of warning in his voice.

“Oh, but it will,” There was a note of sultriness to Fyres's voice that made me want more even though I was already sore, “I think I know what kind of demon I ended up with. And I know you want some. Even before all of this.”

Azrael did not pause, “Don’t push this Fyre,” his voice was a rumble, “I was going to cook some nice steaks and pasta to regenerate the energy you used up.”

Fyre did not listen and stalked Azrael, “I know what kind of demon you are I think, and I think I can take you.”

Part of me wanted to warn Fyre, but the other part wanted to see what would happen. I saw the tension in Azrael’s shoulders.

“I saw how you looked at us when you came in, how you looked at my cock. I can smell and taste your arousal little Azrael,” Fyre rumbled.

Azrael looked up and his human disguise burned away. He became more demonic than I had ever seen. He suddenly towered up to almost seven feet not counting his horns which lengthened even more. His wings scraped the ceiling and a dragon-like tail swished behind him as he delicately picked up an apple and took a bite. He looked back to Azrael, “Last chance Fyre to back off.” His voice was a bass boom that I could feel in my chest. His eyes were blazing orange and the smell of smoke filled the room.

“Bring it, winner fucks the loser,” Fyre said with a smirk.

Now Fyre had a thing with competition. They almost could never back down when there was a challenge in front of them. This was a good thing in martial arts as I knew that they refused to go down unless they were knocked out in a match. In video games, it meant they considered nothing insurmountable and would drag me through the harshest raids. We would grind for hours until we achieved victory.

This was not a video game though and Fyre was obviously outclassed. I could see it, Fyre could see it too. I saw them realize it the moment their confident tail swishes faded at the sight of Azrael’s true form. Pride would not let them give in though.

They leaped up and rocketed a kick at Azrael’s chest. Azrael caught it easily and pulled them in towards him. He wrapped his hand around Fyre’s neck and slammed him into the marble counter so hard that it cracked ominously. Fyre wheezed and coughed as Azrael held him pinned there. Fyre was kicked out and landed blow after blow against Azrael. It was like watching someone attack a rock with a piece of Styrofoam. Azrael weathered each blow like he did not feel a thing.

Finally, Fyre just lay there panting.

“Are you finished?” Azrael asked in a tone that was reserved for parents with a child who was throwing a tantrum.

Fyre nodded, “I yield.” He swallowed nervously and shifted in Azrael’s grip. I had a feeling this was the first time Fyre had ever been beaten so badly.

Azrael released Fyre, “Good, now take Alex and go shower and get dressed while I cook.”

“What about the bet?” Fyre asked and I could have sworn they were blushing.

Azrael sighed and put down the pan he had just selected, “Listen Fyre, I engineered your fall. For all intents and purposes, I am responsible for you. I also agreed to no bet; therefore, your terms are completely null and void. Next time don’t think with your dick.”

Fyre looked away, “Sorry I don’t know what came over me.”

Azrael smiled softly at them and shifted back to a more normal human appearance, “You learned a little through my blood, enough to learn that you are now an incubus variant of demons. After your change you had needs that needed to be satisfied, it is why I left you with Alex, she was definitely more than a willing partner for you. Also, your body is still mostly physical so you would need to eat,” Azrael suddenly looked angry, “I went looking for who shot you and smoothed any wrinkles that came of it.”

“Did you find them?” I asked nervously and shifted as I felt unease in my chest.

Azrael shook his head, “I am looking and while the modern world is a bit beyond me as I have not spent much time here, I did make some calls.” He rolled his neck with a bit of cracking, “Go get cleaned up and we will talk more over dinner.”

Fyre and I both shuffled into the bathroom. I half expected him to leap on me again, but they appeared lost in thought as the hot water rinsed the products of exertion off of us.

He paused and looked at me, “So what was really up with the tattoos?”

I told him everything. How Azrael used those tattoos to prevent me from harming myself and the events after.

“Huh,” Fyre looked at me, “Azrael is a demon and somehow is more considerate than most humans.”

I nodded, “He- He has been through a lot and it is not my story to tell. But as you saw first and foremost, he is a warrior.” I winked at Fyre, “Really? Loser gets fucked by the winner?”

He hissed in embarrassment and made effort to furiously scrub, “I really don’t know what came over me. I just wanted to dominate and I really thought I could take him for a second. Show that I was stronger and better, and I dunno maybe it was fueled a little bit by jealousy.” Fyre looked a bit ashamed.

I walked over and hugged them tightly, “Talk to me.”

Their shoulders slumped and he leaned fully against me, “I have had a crush on you for a while, been honest about that. However, I knew I did not have too much to offer someone like you. Then you show up with what looked like some kind of man that was chiseled right from the pages of a romance novel. Considerate, wealthy, and willing to back off when confronted. I felt so very outclassed in every way by them and a bit dysphoric from seeing the comparison between him and me. He could offer you everything and I am just some hacker screwing around on the internet in my free time.” Fyre looked at me sheepishly, “At that moment I thought I could prove that I was better than him, more powerful, stronger, everything.”

I kissed their cheek gently, “Then Azrael made you realize how badly you were outclassed?”

Fyre nodded, “I have sparred with my teachers before, I have lost matches before, but I always made them count. I have never lost in a way that made me feel like that. It was like fighting a mountain. I hit him as hard as I could over and over. He just took it like I was a toddler pummeling his leg. He did not even struggle. Even as a demon I am no match for him.” Fyre just looked miserable.

I squeezed them tightly, “Luckily there is no competition there.”

“Huh?” He blinked and looked at me in shock, “What do you mean?”

I smiled and spun them around so I could look into their crimson eyes. No matter what form they took, I knew this was my Fyre. I kissed him, I had to lean up now to do so. “Azrael is one kind of being and you are another. You were at my side for the most difficult parts of my life. You helped keep me alive when I might have not made it. I have known you since high school Fyre. No one can replace or supplant you, even a super-strong demon. You are Fyre and I am so fucking happy to be your girlfriend.”

I kissed him again, “Now you are going to have all of the demon babes hanging off you, I am gonna be the jealous one soon,” I said playfully. “I love you Fyre, and I can say that with us having gone through shit with each other.”

Fyre nodded, “I love you too Alex. Have I mentioned how fucking hot you are?”

I blushed and ducked my head shyly, “Ah, thank you!!”

We finished up our shower with only some light rubbing and kissing. It was an achievement because despite him having destroyed me just recently, I felt myself wanting more. We both got dressed. Fyre ended up wearing some pants he creatively cut at the legs. I just put on the black dress that was still hanging up in the closet that Azrael had got me. This time I was eager to put it on. I loved the feel of the dress as I slid it on and put on the matching fishnets. I did not have shoes, so I just walked out barefoot. I could feel Fyre staring at me hungrily and I reveled in the sensation as he followed out in his improvised pants and a button-down shirt. Azrael paused where he was by the stove as he saw us. I saw him take a deep breath and exhale honestly to gods smoke.

“Of course, you pick tonight to wear that,” He rumbled and went back to cooking something that smelled absolutely delicious.

I realized that everything was clean and a pair of slender-looking androgynous demons were in the dining room setting the table. They looked up in perfect sync at Fyre and me. They simultaneously licked their black lips and their matching obsidian eyes looked hungry.

“They are mine Li’Va,” Azrael rumbled without looking up, “If you continue to look at them like they are treats I will snap your backs and throw you back into hell to figure your situation out.”

The twin demons with strange dark blue skin bowed towards Azrael, “Of course lord, we would not dream of touching your property. We live to serve,” Their voices came out of both of them at once. Like one person was talking, not two. It was an odd sound.

“Ah, and that’s why you have tried to kill me no less than three times in the last two centuries,” Azrael looked up and I felt pure violence radiate from him, “If you endanger them, nothing will save you from my wrath. Do you understand Li’Va?”

Again, the odd demons bowed, “Of course, we only attempted to undermine you because you were an archdemon with no house or lands. We simply assumed you were weak. Seeing you increase your holdings from the mortal world has shown we were wrong and we are available to serve you in a more permanent capacity should you desire.”

Azrael glowered at them, “I will consider it though my tail still itches from the last time you stabbed it.”

Both swallowed nervously in perfect sync.

“Are you finished?” Azrael asked and resumed cooking.

“Yes, my lord,” They answered.

“I will consider your offer, depart now.”

They both bowed and left in a puff of fire and unpleasant-smelling smoke.

Fyre slowly walked forward from where they had positioned themselves in front of me, “Who was that?”

“Li’Va, a native demon that I trust enough that it surprises me,” Azrael answered and began making plates of food.

           “You said they tried to kill you,” I said slowly, “Isn’t that reason not to trust them?”

           Azrael shrugged, “When the rebellion failed, they were cast down to hell. Hell had its own native races living there before the Fallen ever arrived. There was a lot of fighting. It was the demons' land and the Fallen were invaders. From the Fallen’s perspective, they had nowhere else to go and like most situations like this, things turned to violence for a few centuries. The demons were able to match the fallen in numbers and skill so things fell to a standstill. The language barrier was overcome and after another century of negotiation, the Fallen were allowed to remain as long as they embraced the demons and reject their previous appearance. Thus, the Fallen were welcomed as Demons after heaven disowned them. Since then both groups have prospered though demons only respect strength so if they see what they perceive as a weakness in those over them they will lash out to dethrone the imposter. It is where they get their reputation for treachery. They simply do not respect unearned authority or false power.”

           “Why did you call them a single demon?” Fyre asked. He had picked up on something I missed as I sat down at the table beside them.”

           Azrael shrugged, “Li’Va is an ancient demon. All I know is that they were once two separate beings, somewhere along the line they decided to merge their minds into one. Ever since then, they have acted as a single being and react harshly to any who considers or addresses them as separate entities. It is why they tried to kill me the first time. I disrespected them out of ignorance and they pressed the issue. I reacted poorly and we fought. They were in the right, but I did not want to die. I won and asked their forgiveness. They accepted and ever since we have been frenemies.”

           “Which is why you threatened them,” I said as he sat a plate of steak and assorted vegetables in front of me. I saw the plates for him and Fyre was more like serving platters filled with much more food.

           He nodded as he sat down and began to cut one of his steaks, “Indeed, I respect and value them, and they feel the same, but our relationship has always been lukewarm.”

           “Why don’t you take them up on their offer?” Fyre asked between bites as they rapidly ate their steak.

           “There are still politics in hell, I do not wish to get involved,” Azrael answered, “But this brings me to my next point. You are now both considered part of my house for lack of a better term.”

           Fyre cocked their head, “I get me, like you changed me and all, but isn’t that laying too much claim on Alex.” There was a slight edge to their voice.

           Azrael sighed and sat back for a moment, “In Alex’s case, to any magic user, demon, or angel, she reeks of demonic energy. Specifically, she smells like me and my magic, well now both of us.”

           Fyre looked uncomfortable, “Could you explain more?”

           I reached down and squeezed his hand and he squeezed back in gratitude.

           Azrael leaned back and once again his face became gentle, “Everyone has a unique smell, right? Even as a human you would have noticed this to a degree.”

           Fyre nodded, “Yeah and so do places.”

           “Demons reek of demonic energy. It is both a physical and metaphysical smell to those who are aware of such things. Before your Fall you would have never noticed this, now?”

           Fyre looked away, “She does kind of smell similar to you.”

           “And to me, she smells similar to you, it is how demon summoners and such have been recognized and hunted throughout time. As you have already acknowledged you smell like me solely because I enabled your fall. You will carry that scent for at least a few centuries.”

           “What about Alex?” Fyre asked suddenly.

           “Well, she will smell like demons in general and specifically us to other demons until she goes and cleanses herself in some fashion. Otherwise, it lasts till her death,” Azrael explained.

           We ate in silence for a bit, “I am not messing with that cleansing bullshit,” I said definitively, “Smelling like my partners is not something I would consider a bad thing.”

           “It means you may be ostracized by certain groups and while mortals cannot smell it per se, some may get unpleasant feelings from being around you. Like religious folk,” Azrael cautioned.

           “Listen the two people I care most for are in this room right now. Everyone else has fucked off or hurt me in some way. Fuck anyone who wants to try and get between me and you two,” I snarled.

           “Alex, listen today has shown that things may be extremely dangerous for you, someone is hunting you. Someone with enough resources to get away from me even,” Azrael tried to harden their face, but I saw sadness in their eyes, “Besides it’s pretty bold of you to claim to care for me. You barely know me, my dear. Honestly would be best if you stayed away from me.”

           Fyre looked up in shock at Azrael.

           It was then I knew Azrael had a kind soul. The fallen angel of death. One who had fought and killed angels, demons, humans, and everything in between was kind. It was kindness well hidden. The mercy he would not show to many. For was he not the avatar of death? A sinner amongst sinners? But he cared for me and I saw it then and in the little moments in between. The way his commands he had given to me were to protect me. How he held me as I cried. How he called upon one of the most powerful beings in hell to come to give me advice just because she was like me. How he had removed his bonds from me the moment I asked. How he had carried Fyre gently to the table. How he had decided to save Fyre just because I begged, doing something which had more far-reaching consequences than I could have even guessed at the time.

           I got up and walked over to in front of him, “You carried my partner in and tried to save him with deals for candy. You could have demanded their soul or anything else, instead, you chose candy. When I begged and cried you did something that I did not even understand, but had consequences for you. Every single time you have had time to be selfish you have chosen the selfless path,” I reached and touched his face. He tried to reach up and pull my hand away, but then Fyre was at his side and holding his hand down.

           “I acted like a fool out of a pride and jealousy, you would have been within your rights to beat me senseless, kill me, or even take my bet,” Fyre laughed and shook his head, “Instead you cooked me dinner and sent me to go shower with our girlfriend. Stating you had not agreed to the deal so it was null and void,” Fyre hesitated for a moment, “I am not sure how I feel about you. You scare the shit out of me on different levels for different reasons. But one thing is doubtless. You have been kind to Alex and me when you had no reason to, less than no reason,” Fyre smiled softly. They were being vulnerable in a way I was not used to seeing them be with other people, “I can’t be mad at a person who has gone so far out of their way for the girl I love.”

           Azrael tensed for a long moment, then his shoulders relaxed, “Fine, but Alex you are in danger, and association with us only will make that worse,” He paused, “And I will soon have to take Fyre below so they can recharge and gather strength. Leaving you alone like this makes you vulnerable.”

           “There’s a simple solution then,” I said definitively, “Make me a demon too.”

           Fyre blinked, “She’s right, that would solve the issue.”

           Azrael was silent for a long moment, “Alex, the process of falling means your soul is no longer tethered to your body. It means you would have to be at the point of death. It means you have to want to return. It means sacrificing any chance at any afterlife you want. This is not some simple swap, then you will be bound to me for a long time.”

           I leaned down and kissed Azrael gently, “I know you will do the right thing.” My kiss distracted Azrael and Fyre was still lost in his thoughts slightly. Neither of them had seen me palm the knife. I knew this was dirty, but it was a way Azrael would not feel guilt over it. Then I stopped. I could do it; I knew it. But it was wrong, it would force Azrael into a position where he had no choice and that was not fair. It was manipulative and abusive at the same time. I would not be that person. I sighed and set the knife down quietly. Or so I thought.

           Azrael looked down and saw me set the knife down, “Alex?”

           I looked away ashamed, “I am sorry. I just don’t want to be a burden or be separated from the two of you. I also don’t want to give you two up for some false sense of safety.” I looked at the two of them, “It is what I want, but I will not force you into it, that is just wrong and I know it,” I went and sat down. Internally, I braced for the screaming, the condemnation for my selfish actions.

           Instead, I felt Fyre wrap me up in their arms while Azrael looked at the knife for a long moment before he came over and hugged both of us.

           Fyre whispered in my ear, “Proud of you girl, that is hard to do.”

           I felt tears well up in my eyes and drip down my face as I turned into them. I treasured them both so very dearly.

           Azrael pulled back and looked at us, “Is this what you want Alex?” He asked softly.

           I nodded, “I understand the risks and if anything happens it is on me.”

           “Fyre?” He asked softly.

           Fyre took a deep breath, “I am scared to lose her, but if it is what she wants, she has my support.”

           Azrael closed his eyes for a long moment, when he spoke it was a swirl of profanity in languages long forgotten to the humans who walked this planet, “Very well, but I swear Alex if you do not come back to us; I will hunt your soul down and pull you back.”

           I nodded. I watched Azrael reach into a little pocket void and pull the slender knife he had once offered me death with. This time it was something different he offered me. His hand moved in a flash and it felt like I had all the air knocked from me. I was surprised at the lack of pain. I just could not get a breath and as my world went dark, I smiled and caressed both of their faces.

           I opened my eyes and found myself sitting in a windowless dark room with a single fluorescent light. It buzzed a little and was too cold. I looked down and saw I was still dressed in my dress just with a giant bloodstain on it. The door opened and a woman walked in. At least I think it was a woman, she wore a business suit with leather gloves, the only odd addition was a hood which I could not see into.

           She sat down with a folder across from me, “Alex Orwell.”

           It was not a question, “That’s me, kinda.” Something about her felt familiar. Like I had known her for a long time, “Listen you probably get this a lot, but have we met before. Like you are familiar and my life has taken enough crazy turns that I feel like I would.”

           Despite the hood, I felt like there was a sad smile coming from her, “Indeed. I have come for you before and waited after you tried to take your life in the past.”

           Suddenly I remembered her, sitting beside my bathtub holding my hand as I cried and the world faded to black. “You held my hand,” I said feeling tears in my eyes. She had brought me so much comfort at that moment. I remembered waking up in the hospital with that comfort and it kept me going for a time after. I stood up and rushed to her. I threw my arms around her. I hugged her tight, “Thank you so much. That helped so much in the days after and I never forgot that comfort even if I forgot you.” I suddenly stood back and sheepishly shrugged, “Not to be rude.”

           She laughed at the sound of funeral bells. To many it would be ominous, to me it was comforting. It was a sound I heard before when I told her a joke in my dying moments, “It is quite alright, mortals do not remember me once they return to the living. It is one of the rules.” I once again got the feeling that the hooded business lady was smiling, “But thank you, it is not often I get a hug. Usually, the reaction is different.” She looked me up and down for a moment, “I have to say you look a bit different than the last time we met Alex, is that the name you still use?”

           I nodded, “Yeah, though I am still figuring things out, it has gotten much better. Have started feeling happy again.”

           I felt a distinct sorrow from her, “I am very sorry to see you here then.”

           I blinked there was something I was supposed to remember, but it had left my mind, “Hey, there was something I was supposed to remember.”

           The sorrow I felt from her grew, “Indeed, that it is how it goes. After passing your memories of your life, both good and bad start to fade.”

           I looked at her, “That is why I remember you now isn’t it? You are Death, aren’t you?”

           The woman took a dramatic bow, “I am indeed Death, the escort to the beyond for some.”

           “Why only some?” I asked out of genuine curiosity.

           “In the case of the souls who have had none to come to claim them,” Death explained.

           “Yeah, I was never the religious type,” I shrugged, “So is it purgatory for me then?”

           Death radiated a desire to tell me something, “You have a few choices.”

           “Don’t suppose staying on earth is one of them?” I asked with a smile.

           She shook her head, “No, mortals do not give that option.”

           I was suddenly filled with a desire to get to know her better. I don’t know what it was. Maybe the fact I had sought this for so long before in my life, the fact she held my hand, the fact she was so nice even now, “Hey can I make a selfish request, you know if it does not throw off the process too much or anything.”

           Death smiled; it was the sensation of cold wind. For me, though it was like a refreshing breeze in the summer, “Oh? Somehow, I get the feeling you won’t be bargaining for time, but go-ahead Alex.”

           “Can you tell me about yourself?” I asked softly.

           “You realize you won’t remember this conversation after your choice?” Death said sadly, “There will be no secrets of the universe you can take with you.”

           I waved my hand, “I don’t want to know any secrets, I want to know about you. I mean I am sure you do other things than the whole reaper thing.”

           “It is a rather busy job, Alex; I don’t have much time for hobbies.” Death said with a small laugh.

           “What’s your favorite type of ice cream then? Surely you had time for ice cream,” I pushed a little.

           “I don’t need food,” Death said and then hesitated, “But it would be strawberry if I had to pick.”

           “See was that so hard?” I teased.

           Death laughed a bit more genuinely, “You are an interesting soul, Alex. Asking Death itself questions, and you ask about ice cream.”

           “Are those your pronouns? I mean I have been thinking of you in she/her, but I can change it,” I asked.

           “She/Her works just fine, most just consider death an end or an act. I do not often get personified the way you are doing,” Death explained.

           I shrugged, “You held my hand at a really bad time in my life. You aren’t some object or event,” I sighed heavily as a flicker of bad things which had been done to me flickered through my brain, “Hell, it makes you kinder than most mortals.”

           “Thank you,” I felt pure sincerity from her, “Not many see me that way.”

           I reached across the table and took her hand in mine. It was cold and almost uncomfortable to hold, but I squeezed it tightly, “In this mere mortal’s opinion, I see you as a source of comfort.”

           We continued to talk. There was no idea how much time passed. I learned so many interesting things, she liked classical music and metal the most, though she had an appreciation for all arts. An expression of the living she explained. I learned she only was in the mortal world when someone died so she only got snapshots of the world. I told her she should take a vacation and actually go visit. Have a nice dinner. Maybe meet someone and have some fun. You know live a little. That particular comment sent her into hysterics. We spoke for a long time, the time was strange, but I did not care.

           I learned Death’s favorite color was pink, her favorite flowers were roses, she liked oil paintings the best, and the business suit was reflective of her approach to her task. She actually liked sundresses the best. I found her to be stimulating, she even had thoughts on the nature of life. She said it was no answer, but a life richly lived was for the best.

           We had found ourselves propped up against the wall as those chairs seemed to be torture instruments for sitting for long periods. Death had fallen silent.

           “Alex, it is time, unfortunately,” Sadness was etched in her voice, “This is the first time someone has treated me as something approaching a friend. I will not forget this for as long as I live.”

           I reached out and took her hand, “I would be happy to call you a friend,” I hugged her again. “Everyone deserves a friend even Death herself.”

           She returned the hug; her embrace was cold. It was like flipping over a pillow on a hot night to get to the cool side. We embraced for a long time. The poor girl was touch starved.

           “Just know I am always willing to give you a hug,” I said with a smile.

           Death sighed as she leaned back against a wall, “Sadly you will not remember any of this, it is not for mortals.” She pointed at the door, “I will give you some options in a moment and you will pick one, then once you go through the door, you will forget me,” I could feel the tears in her voice.

           I could not imagine the loneliness. Even to an immortal and powerful being, it had to be taxing to endure a solitary existence like this. I reached into the hood and my hand disappeared. I touched her face and held it for a moment. I did not know what I was expecting, but my hand found soft and cold flesh. I wiped my thumb on her cheek her tears were like the runoff from a glacier. I pulled her in for another hug.

           “Memories aren’t everything Death, I remembered you once. I will remember you again,” I had never known Death could cry, but it did not matter. We cried together. A friend found and lost even for a short time in such a brief time.

           We slowly returned to the table where she opened the folder silently and placed photos of my options. A void where I would simply cease to exist, my level of righteousness in the life I could not remember was enough to earn me entry into a few different heavens and then reincarnation. I picked that photo of the wheel up as soon as my eyes landed on it.

           “This one,” I extended it to her.

           “You realize you would be living a mortal life again; you could be hurt again like you were before,” Death warned.

           “Yep, but if this is the only place we can meet; I think I will pick it every time,” I answered, “We are friends and friends don’t leave friends behind.”

           She hesitantly took it and in that single second, I saw this moment thousand times over. Myself in a variety of forms all of them picking this option and handing it to her. Death in thousands of different appearances.

           I smiled suddenly with the knowledge and hugged her tight, “You remember each time, don’t you?”

           She nodded and cried into my shoulder, “Every single time my friend. Every single time you choose suffering just for a chance to see me again at the end. Each time you choose to learn about me, each time you call me a friend when no one else will. Then you walk through the door to living another life to meet me at the end.”

           “It is what friends do after all,” I said muffled in her shoulder. I hated I would forget her again. I hated it with a bitter intensity.

           “You can pick peace just once, my dearest friend, just once you can choose to rest.” Death said and her hand cradled my face, “You do not have to suffer again, and heaven would be better off having you.”

           I shook my head, “If peace means I lose you, then no. I will take my chances as a mortal.” I walked to the door slowly and opened it, I looked back at Death and wondered how time would pass for her. The hall was tiled in marble and long in front of me. I began to walk it.

           I felt evaluated as I walked and I did not care. I would see my friend again. I mean everyone dies eventually.

           Then I heard it. A series of words wrapping around itself. A series of words I had heard before. This time I understood all of the languages.

           Words that are etched on my soul. I tasted thick blood in my mouth. Bitter and sweet at the same moment. Soothing and acidic in one gulp. I swallowed.

           I remembered a conversation I once had with Death, in one of our many conversations.

           “Can Death love?”

           “I am sure I could, but who would love Death?”

           “I think I could manage it.”

           “Come now, you know it would be impossible, you already know what happens when you walk down that hall.”

           “It is possible though.”

           “The circumstances of it being possible are simply impossible.”

           “Why?”

           “Because I am Death, I am not meant to be loved.”

           “But I love you Death.”

           “I love you too, a soul who chooses me over peace. How could I not help but love you?”

           I sprinted back through the hall. I felt it pulling at my body. The hall itself trying to force me back. But the words were still echoing slowly. The chant was not finished.  I still had time. The door was shut and I wrenched it open there was a screaming sensation that filled my head.

           Death was sitting at the desk crying when the door opened, she sat up and looked at me.

           “What is going on?” She asked confused.

           I ran up to her, “A change in circumstance.”

           I kissed her in the next breath even as I felt the chant growing stronger, resolving quicker. She tasted of ice and cherries. She smelt of rain and roses. I treasured that pure moment.

           We separated for a moment.

           “Alex what?” she gasped.

           “I love you, Death. And this go around something was a bit different.”

           She smiled at me I could feel it even if I could not see it, “You chose to fall?”

           “I chose to fall; you should come to visit me soon. I have some people to introduce you to. My other partners and the ones who made things better.” I felt my mortal memories solidifying, but I refused to let go of my memories of Death. I clutched them tightly. They would not be stolen from me again. Not this time.

           “I can’t wait, this is going to take a lot of explaining on my part, but I don’t care. I will come to see you soon. No matter where you are,” Her voice was fierce.

           “Oh?” I asked with a hint of mischief, “What about the rules?”

           “You shattered the rules when you came sprinting back here and kissed me. I am feeling rather impetuous.” Death said. Was it just me or did she get a little warmer?

           “See you soon gorgeous,” I said and reluctantly let go.

           “See you soon my oldest friend and love.” She replied.

           I closed my eyes and swallowed again as the chant resolved.

 

Drink deep this lifeblood,

Reject the false light,

Reject the broken order,

Join me in eternal night,

Surrender that cursed mortality,

Taste the elixir of hell,

And fall with me.

 

I leaped and fell. I fell from the heavens I could have. I fell from the false peace they promised. I fell towards the ones I loved and I knew another love would follow me soon. I laughed as my skin burned away into something new. I laughed as leathery wings ripped free of my back in a bloody mess. I laughed as the fires of the sky and heaven burnt me. I had found true freedom away from the cycles that had denied me a friend and lover. I would fight to keep it and damn anyone who would stop me.

26