Chapter 12 – Silver Linings
483 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Cloud, Tifa," Aerith stood in front of the two in the Forbidden forest while they were confused.

"What happened?" Tifa confusedly asked her. The last she remembered, she attacked Yon-Rogg, and then she got pushed back; now she was here.

Aerith bit her lip, looking down, "It started when we first came to this world. System approached me…and told me that there are instances where our actions could lead to a disaster, a much bigger one than what we can handle. And so, it wanted me to correct those instances to avert the disaster."

It took a moment for Tifa to take it in, but then she realized something and closed her eyes, "Aerith…you didn't…? Oh, Aerith."

Tifa opened her eyes, hastily walking up to Aerith, hugging her tightly.

"Tifa…" Aerith bit her lip, burying her face in Tifa's neck.

"She didn't do it."

"What?" Tifa pulled away from  Aerith a little, looking over her shoulder to see Cloud leaning against the tree.

Cloud watched the palm of his hand, letting his hand down, crossing his arms, "If she did do it, then she wouldn't have been explaining things. She would be bawling her eyes out."

Aerith stuck her tongue out, "Aw, I never wanted to make you think I did it."

"What happened out here?"

Aerith walked over to Cloud, falling forward, resting her head on his chest, her hands on his waist, "I am sorry, Cloud."

"Why?"

"I was worried about your mental state, about you, that you wouldn't be able to handle it."

"You weren't wrong, were you? Didn't you say it was a disaster, big enough that you had to set things right? And I wasn't able to handle it. These memories came gushing in, and I am not even sure if they are mine, some of them might be, others might not be. You know, I even have that feeling of holding the buster sword in the palm of my hand, taking it from the dying Angeal. I lost it…and I put us all in danger."

"Cloud, that couldn't have been helped," Tifa earnestly looked at him, "It was needed to be done. After all, we couldn't have left Mar-Vell to die! Right?"

Aerith pulled Cloud closer, "No…I still should have told you, and you know it too, and so does Tifa. I am sorry for hiding it from you. I know I don't deserve to ask this…but trust me, one last time? I won't hide anything from you two, ever. I don't like doing that."

She had her eyes closed when she felt a push, and she realized that Tifa was also hugging her.

"What happened out there?" Cloud wanted to push them away from embarrassment.

"Well…"

No time ago, Crash Site,

"I can't do it," Aerith gasped for breath, closing her eyes. It wasn't much; she had to take the System's power back by using the Authority she got as the Supervisor.

[Do you need to be reminded how many lives will be lost if you don't?]

"No, I still can't…." Aerith closed her eyes, "Is there no other way?"

The system didn't reply to her but waited, and Aerith felt her mind go blank. It was like someone had put too much weight on it; she couldn't even think straight with the pressure she was feeling.

Aerith took a shuddering breath, resting her wildly beating heart and focusing on her problem, when she unexpectedly heard a voice she didn't think she'd hear.

"Aerith?"

"Tifa?!" Aerith jumped on her feet, confusedly shaking her head, "System?"

[Error. Error. It is suggested Supervisor freezes Tifa Lockhart's Time.]

"Freeze my time?" Tifa glanced around the crash site before crossing her arms to see Aerith, "Aerith, what is going on?"

"Tifa!" Aerith wiped her tears, "Tifa…Am I sorry…? Umm…no, wait."

"Aerith!"

"Right, System, transfer all information to Tifa."

[…That is not the suggested course of action.]

"You made me the supervisor, right? So trust me!" Aerith raised her voice with shining eyes.

[Very well.]

Tifa felt a sharp pain in her head, but to her, even this passing moment in a place where time was stopped felt much longer. She saw Aerith waking up, her deal with the System, the information the System gave Aerith before making the deal, and Aerith's determination.

She slowly opened her eyes, "Stupid Eri…why do you have to go and do silly things like these?"

"No! Tifa, I know how to get around it!" Aerith held onto Tifa's hands, "When you came just now, I thought the only way to hide this was to erase your memory and send you back!"

"Oh," Tifa furrowed her brows, but momentarily, a fantastic expression replaced the frown, "Ohhh!!!!"

"Right!!!" Aerith grinned, "If we can erase, no, plant fake memories in his head of Mar-Vell's and that woman's death!"

She didn't get to finish her sentence when the System spoke

[Carol Danvers must go to the Kree Planet. It is a fixed event that will affect the future of a whole race. It cannot be changed.]

"Oh," Aerith and Tifa both felt their spirits dampen when Tifa whispered in Aerith's ear, making her eyes shine again.

"Right, then, System, I want to use my Authority as a Supervisor to make Carol Danvers a Fast Travel Point."

[Course of Action – Accepted.]

[Carol Danvers has been set as a Fast Travel Point.]

Aerith grinned, brimming with happiness, "Now, all we need to do is plant false memories in Yon-Rogg, and we'd be done! We would have saved Mar-Vell, and kept an eye on Carol for her safety without changing anything!"

"Are you forgetting something?"

Aerith tilted her head, thinking deeply, "No?"

Tifa held Aerith's cheek, pulling them, narrowing her eyes, "You were thinking about erasing my memories."

"Sworrrry!!!"

"And you are coming clean to Cloud the moment we get back. This involves him, so he should know about it!"

"Ywassss!!" Aerith hastily said, getting away from Tifa's clutched, holding her cheek, "But…are you sure Cloud will be able to handle it? You know…Angeal committed suicide at Zack Fair's hands. Sephiroth went mad and became obsessed with Jenova. Genesis became obsessed with LOVELESS, and that was his end. And the three of them were in a much better mental state than Cloud is right now."

Tifa softly smiled, "I believe in him…I believe Cloud can handle it…the way he is now."

Aerith pressed her lips, smiling, "Then I'll believe in that too and apologize."

"Good," Tifa breathed out, "Now, let's clear this mess."

"Tifa…thank you," Aerith smiled, walking up to Yon-Rogg, starting to create his false memories.

While she was busy doing that, Tifa turned her attention to the scarlet ball floating in the air, "You are, the System?"

[Yes.]

"Do you have a name?" Tifa tilted her head, asking.

[Yes.]

"Ok…" Tifa looked down, tucking her hands behind her back, "I never thanked you…well, I did more than a few times in my mind, but I never said it out loud. So thank you."

[…Welcome…]

Forbidden Forest,

"So that's all that happened," Cloud said, glancing towards Aerith, "You got played by the System."

"Huh? What?"

Cloud opened the system window, "System, how was Tifa able to move during the Time Stop?"

"Oh, we asked that too…."

[Tifa Lockhart was hit by the immense energy from the Energy Source. The complex change because of that energy helped her be released from the Time Stop.]

"Is that so. So you were able to stop the complex explosion from the Energy Source and the Energy Source itself, but not Tifa?"

[Tif Lockhart's change was unexpected. There were no countermeasures for such a situation.]

Cloud scoffed, "As if…I won't deny it…I almost created a disaster and probably picked a fight with Alien Planet. I have been trying to stop myself trying through meditation, focusing on martial arts. But at that moment…I was overwhelmed by feelings that weren't my own, by memories…that might not be my own. But that feeling of taking the Buster Sword from dying Angeal… was real. I couldn't stop myself."

"I don't know about this world, but seeing as there are alien empires and hidden magical worlds, there might be more scenarios where it might turn into a disaster if I lose control. And in such cases, there is no silver lining."

"But, we managed to solve this one without any deaths, and even if we had to compromise a little, it was for good! So it wasn't all a disaster; no, it might be the best possible outcome!"

Cloud shot a look at her, turning his eyes towards Tifa, "There are no silver linings. You two are the silver linings."

"We?" Tifa blinked, "We! Oh! Then the reason why System chose Aerith as a Supervisor?!"

"Why don't you ask it?"

"System?" Aerith opened the screen, narrowing her eyes.

[System is calculating reward.]

[Because of the energy consumption – The system is going into sleep mode.]

[Basic functions will be available while the System is in Sleep Mode.]

Aerith parted her lips, exasperated, "I can't believe it!!"

Cloud shook his head, walking toward the main building, "Thank you…for dealing with the mess I created."

"Wait, we are coming too," Tifa pulled, sulking Aerith, "We'll see to it later."

"The reward better be good," Aerith walked with them, huffing and puffing.

Midnight,

Cloud opened his eyes, looking at the roof of his dorm room. He would women up much sooner if it were months ago, "What are you doing?"

Aerith raised her head out of the blanket, "We thought that since the timer for System's Reward is about to reach zero, we come and wait together."

"You are going along with her silly plans as well?"

Tifa winced when Cloud removed the blanket from her face, pretending to be asleep, even though her eyes were trembling, giving away the truth.

"Just be quiet." Cloud closed his eyes, waiting for the system to show their reward.

Tifa raised her body on her elbows, cupping his cheek, whispering his name, "Cloud…?"

Cloud tried to keep his eyes closed but couldn't stay like that for long. He gently opened his eyes, asking, "What?"

"Are you angry, Cloud?"

"About?" He said, but then shook his head, "Not really…I felt what Angeal felt…and I am unsure what to feel…about carrying Jenova cells. I am not even sure whatever I feel will be my feelings."

Tifa looked away in embarrassment before taking a deep breath and lowered her body, abruptly planting her lips onto his.

Cloud and Aerith slowly widened their eyes, realizing what was happening while Aerith covered her mouth so she would not let out a voice and wake others up.

Tifa blushingly looked into Cloud's eyes, kissing him, pulling away with a flush covering her face and neck, "What you felt right now…are your feelings, Cloud. And only yours."

Cloud pressed his lips, feeling his eyes burning from embarrassment when Aerith whispered to the two, "You know…Mar-Vell is coming to London to hide. We still have to create the whole spaceship for the Skrulls. Because of our warning, they were moved and saved, but now we have to find them a new place to live."

"Oh," Cloud and Tifa calmed down hearing her talk about something serious.

But the next moment, her smile turned mischievous, "So, Mar-Vell will buy a house. We planned to rent one with the money we got from the Casino, but now we can live with Mar-Vell. And we can be in our twenties…so you two can do everything you want."

Cloud and Tifa's faces became puffed red, and they seemed to have lost their voices, leaving Aerith to enjoy their reactions.

[The System has analyzed the situation, and the rewards have been calculated.]

Aerith clicked her tongue; she wanted to tease the two of them a bit more and pressed on the logs, sharing the screen with them.

[Cloud Strife – Managed to tap into the will in the Jenova Cells – An Absolute Replica of Buster Sword will be created.

Error – The Keyblade Fenrir is reacting to the Will.

Error – A new power is being born from Cloud Strife's Heart.

Error – A new Keyblade is born.

Calculating New Probabilities – The current flow of events will lead to the loss of much life and the enslavement of humans.

Calculating Solution – The supervisor shall be handed the power to decide.]

"Sorry," Cloud said when Aerith shook her head, "Let's see Tifa's?"

[Tifa Lockhart

Error – Tifa Lockhart is saturated in (???) Energy Source.

Calculating – Chances of replicating Carol Danver's Success.

Calculation Completed  - None; the possibility has been taken.

Solution – Time has been stopped to save Tifa Lockhart's Life.

The System has absorbed the energy from the Source.

Error – Tifa Lockhart is free of Time Lock.

Error – Decision-making power is in the hands of the Supervisor. The System cannot act.

Solution – The decision is left to the Supervisor.

Problem – The Extra Energy.

Calculating – Solution Calculated – Will be used in granting Tifa Lockhart the Reward of Successful Mission.]

"It seems I will get a good reward," Tifa smiled, "How about we see Aerith's?"

[Aerith's Gainsborough's Logs have been redacted since she became the Temporary Supervisor.]

Aerith pouted, "Whatever. Give us our reward."

[Dadadadaa dan datana~~]

[Cloud Strife – For having accepted the Will of those who came before and managing to awaken a New Keyblade has been given a Guide Book to Keyblades.]

[Aerith Gainsborough – For having performed her duties has been awarded Bladed Staff and Awarded Four Materia. Healing Materia, Magic Up Materia, Hp Up Materia, and Magnify Materia.]

"Materia!" Aerith let out a loud voice; thankfully, she had already cast the Muffliato Spell.

"Oh, yes! I got HP Up Materia! Now I won't have to train so much!"

"If only there was a Stamina Up Materia, then you could have trained more, and it would have increased your HP naturally," Cloud shrugged.

Aerith felt a chill down her spine when the System's voice followed.

[User's Suggestion has been heard. HP Up Materia is being Replaced with Stamina Up Materia.

Error – Stamina Up Materia Not Found.

Calculating the Cost of Creation.

Cost Calculated.

Request to Borrow Power of Cetra from Aerith Gainsborough.]

"No! No! No!" Aerith wildly shook her head, "No way!"

Cloud's lips smugly curved, "Take is the price of hiding everything from me for so long. Do it, and I will forgive you."

"Tifa~!!"

Tifa shrugged, looking away, "Aerith, this is your good. Like we hid things from Cloud for his own."

Aerith slumped her shoulder, watching them teary-eyed, but they didn't show her pity, not after all her teasing.

"Fine, Fine!" Aerith puffed her cheek, holding her hands together to draw in the Planets energy, which the System used to replace HP Up with Stamina Up.

"I'll never put it on the Staff," she whispered under her breath.

"No, worries. I'll make sure you do," Cloud stroked her head, forcing her to cower when she thought of the future hell she would face.

"What is my reward?"

[Tifa Lockhart – For showing the bravery and courage of an enemy that outclasses her on every level, and because of the extra energy taken from her has been rewarded Personal Gravity Manipulation and the Ability Amalgamation.]

"I guess…The first mission was a great success?" Tifa tilted her head, smiling.

Cloud lay down on the bed, closing his eyes, "Since we are done with that, leave."

"Just like that? Shouldn't you give Tifa a goodnight kiss?" Aerith naughtily blinked.

"No. No Need. Goodbye. Thanks. Leave."

Tifa chuckled, leaning forward, kissing Cloud's cheek, "Goodnight, Cloud."

She pulled away to leave when a little tug pulled her back. She turned around to look at Cloud, only to feel her lips covered by his. She softly smiled, kissing him back as the two slowly pulled away, and he whispered, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

21