Chapter 17 – An Identical City?
2k 8 98
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Like the first city I encountered when I arrived in this world, the town of Niethe was protected by a great wall and had a large wooden gate that several guards protected.

All of them were human, unfortunately.

We got in a line of carriages and stood there for 40 minutes before it was our turn to go inside.

When the guards approached and saw Jack tied up inside the carriage, he immediately shouted. "Help me! This girl is crazy. She killed my friend and tied me up. Please!"

I sighed, and then Thaddeus got down from the carriage. Even with Jack's screams, the guards didn't seem to care. Maybe they don't believe Jack?

"Welcome back, Mr Thaddeus." One of the guards said.

Jack continued to slander me and yell, so Thaddeus walked away along with the guards so they could talk. They talked for a while. I looked at them apprehensively, afraid of what might happen.

Fortunately, nothing happened to me.

The guards approached me and then asked me to let Jack go. Of course, as soon as I released him, he tried to attack me. The guards got in his way and held him back.

"You bitch, I'm going to kill you. I'll find you again, and I'll rip your head off!" Ah, what an idiot, he's threatening to kill me in front of the guards...

"Is everything okay?" Thaddeus got into the carriage again, and it began to move.

"Are you talking about the insults? I'm not angry or anything like that. But what did you say to the guards?"

"I spoke the truth." Thaddeus smiled.

"You must be a pretty influential guy for the guards to believe you so easily."

"Hahaha..."

"So, what will happen to Jack? And Dan's body?" Paul raised his head and looked at Thaddeus. The guards had not let him accompany Jack to the guard post.

"Jack will be restrained for a while and interrogated. Dan's body will be buried in the city's public cemetery. They will also contact Dan's family to advise them of his death."

"I see." Paul gave a small smile and then looked out the carriage window. I began to feel a little sorry for him. He was a good man; he believed me and tried to contain his friend.

He didn't deserve to have friends as stupid and bad as those two...

####

The carriage stopped in front of the guild building, and I got off while loading my things.

I looked at the guild building and found a structure almost identical to the one in the other town I was in. The only difference was that the building was a little larger and had more adventurers.

And it had a lot of women, unlike the other city. And among the adventurers, I could also find people with animal ears. Unfortunately, they were all men.

"Are you going in?" Thaddeus asked.

"I was not participating in the mission, so it is unnecessary. I'll look for some inn and stay around here for a few days until I can get some transportation to Bacrow."

"I see. Unfortunately, I won't be travelling to Bacrow for the next few days."

"No problem. I'll see you later."

"See you later." Thaddeus entered the guild along with Paul. The two of them walked toward the counter and started a conversation with the receptionist.

I then walked away, taking slow steps and scanning the surrounding buildings. Since it was the main street, it was very busy. There were many food and item stalls, people, and many carriages.

It was noisy, very different from the previous city.

Walking through the streets, I also realized that the city was much more extensive, and there were other gates than the one we used. There were other gates to the right and left; however, those streets were not as busy. Unlike the main street, where most of the buildings were stores and restaurants, near the gates on the right and left, there were many houses and inns.

But one thing that also existed in this town was that damned wall.

A high wall protected by guards separated the normal area of the city from the noble area. Some mansions were so big that they were higher than the wall, which allowed me to see them.

The first thing I noticed was the number of gold decorations. Was it all real gold?

The nobles are wealthy, aren't they?

"Haa~~" I sighed and then went towards the left gate of the city. Some guards protected the gate, and I could see some carriages coming in. It also had a few sales stalls, but not even compared to the main entrance.

Many inns were around, but I didn't choose any specific one; I entered a random inn. When I entered, I found an identical structure to the first inn I had stayed in.

After paying for three days' lodging ( the price was the same ), I went up to my room and put my things away before going to the guild to seek transport to the next city. Also, I would take the opportunity to save up a little more money.

I went downstairs and then left the inn, and I walked back to the main entrance and arrived at the guild.

"Thaddeus' carriage is no longer here." I walked into the guild and couldn't find him or Paul; probably Paul had gone after Jack, and Thaddeus minded his own business. "I'll take a mission then. They say you should rest after a trip, but I don't feel tired."

I went to the mission board under the gazes of many adventurers and picked up a RANK D mission, a Rank above mine. The guild allowed me to take tasks only one Rank above mine, the same Rank as mine, or one Rank below.

It was a basic subjugation mission. The problem is that I don't know these monsters, and I don't know where they are.

Probably the guild will tell me where I can find them, so it's okay.

So, after talking to the receptionist for a while, I got all the information I needed and set off towards the plain near the city. It will probably be easy, so that I will do everything quickly.

 

Not much happened in this chapter, but I promise that in the next one I'll speed things up and leave for the next city. Don't forget to click on the little heart :D

98