Chapter 34 – Everyone else is awake.
1.1k 2 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I kept talking to the little girl, explaining a little of what had happened. Of course, I made up a lot of lies. I told her that they had been involved in a carriage accident.

The little girl was naive, so she believed me. I didn't want to have to make up a lie, but how could I tell her that I killed her? I am sure that she would be afraid of me and would despair.

What would she think I am? A maniac who likes to kill and revive people just for my amusement? I don't want to have an image like that. I want to be a pretty and kind girl.

"Hm?"

Then, while I was thinking about my image, the older boy woke up. He recovered faster than the girl. He sat on the floor, looked around, and saw his two friends lying beside him.

He approached the girl.

"Milly, are you okay?" He shook the girl's body. "Hal, what happened?" he shouted to the boy. The little girl who woke up first ran to him. Her name is Jully; I found out while talking to her. The older boy's name was Joan.

Jully approached Joan and held his shoulder.

"Joan, everything is fine with them! That woman helped us." Jully said with her cute voice and pointed at me. I smiled bitterly, and then Joan sighed with relief. I was also relieved since he didn't seem to remember anything that happened.

He then stood up and noticed that he had no clothes on. He grabbed the sheet and covered himself as his face turned red.

"Did you see it?" he asked as he looked at me.

"No, I didn't see it." I replied, "And don't worry, I am not interested in children." I gave a small laugh, causing Joan to turn even red and turn around, looking slightly annoyed with me.

"Joan is embarrassed!!!" Jully said and started laughing.

"I am not!" He looked at me. "Now explain to me what happened."

"You can call me Sophia."

"Explain to me what happened, Sophia!"

"Sure."

I told the same story I told Jully. Unlike her, Joan began to question me.

"A carriage? But we were in the alley."

"You guys probably lost your memory because of the accident. The accident happened as soon as you guys left the alley. You can ask the nun later." Damn, I hadn't even asked her name and made the promise.

At least I was able to keep the promise.

"Reslia?"

"Yes, Reslia. She was here in the morning but left because she needed to do some things. You can talk to her later." But first, I will need to tell her the lie I told them.

I hope she will continue my lie and not tell them someone murdered them. That would be kind of traumatic for those kids. Or maybe not... I'll know that when they find out about what happened.

"And it won't be hard for them to find out." Probably when the people who know about the deaths of these children see them, a commotion will happen.

I hope they treat it as a miracle or something.

"Find out what?"

"Nothing."

"You're hiding something, aren't you?" Joan said as she looked at me.

"Yes, I am. Ask Reslia what happened because I refuse to talk to you about it."

"..." Joan was silent, and Jully looked at me, confused.

####

After a few more minutes, the other two children had woken up. Fortunately, the girl didn't seem to remember what I had done. She just knew me as the girl who had helped them.

'That's good.' I stayed in the room for a while until I decided to leave and take them somewhere.

"All right, we're leaving now. This is a building we're not supposed to be in; I brought you guys here to take care of you. Now we're going to leave without making any noise, alright?"

"That's weird," Joan said.

"Don't question it, Joan," Hal told him. I then smiled and opened the door.

"Shall we? Use the sheets to protect yourself from the cold." I'm worried about how I'll walk in the street without attracting attention... This sucks; there's no way we can walk around without being noticed.

If some guard finds us, he will probably question me about the four children being naked and using a sheet to cover themselves.

The children left and reached the corridor. I was worried about the man, but he did not seem to have woken up as he was not trying to open the door.

"Be careful on the stairs." We went down the stairs together and reached the reception desk. They locked the front door, but the key was in the lock, so I opened it. A cold wind hit the children and me as soon as I opened the door.

"How cold!" Jully said. The other children also complained.

"Don't worry. I'll give you guys a hot bath when we get to the inn."

Fortunately, there was no one on the street. However, it would be different when we got to the street where my inn is. There would probably be many people there, and the children would attract a lot of attention.

Because of this, I changed my mind.

"Joan, could you take me to the orphanage where you live?"

"Hm?"

"I think it's better not to take you guys to the main street. I'm sure we'll have some trouble."

"Well, I guess so. Come on. I'll take you there."

"Thanks."

I started following Joan down the street. We were heading to the suburb of the capital. There were few people on the street, and those who saw us didn't question me, so it was okay.

The number of old buildings increased, and the amount of trash on the street was also significant.

"Here it is." We walked for almost an hour before reaching the orphanage. It wouldn't be long before dawn.

 

Favorite?

51