Chapter 3: Don’t trust church jerky
570 4 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Say Hi to Sybil's Mom Everyone!

Lady designated as ‘Mom’ clears her throat and blinks rapidly at me, then nods.

"Yeah, mom." Her voice cracks and she clears her throat again before setting food in front of me, pulling a knife from her boot to saw against the dried meat on the table. She pushes the bite-sized pieces close to me, which I pop in my mouth then grimace at the taste. It's both greasy and dry, feeling like I bit dirt that had some terrible things happen to it. ‘Mom’ laughed at my expression before determinedly eating her own food with a grim face.

"Thos hchruc pploee laleyr don't vut soj for the wejwa' nuqjatlh bugbear?1 Those church people really don't make food for the taste huh bugbear?" ‘Mom’ laughingly poked at my cheek before popping one of my pieces into her mouth. Hey! That's mine! That villain laughs again! 

I shove the rest of the pieces in my mouth and my entire face puckers as the minimal salt used appeared as a tidal wave on my tongue. Still wary of the thieving hand I chew and swallow the mouthful with tears pricking at my vision. Ewww...

"Bleh!" I scrunch up my face and stick my tongue out, getting that evil taste as far out of my mouth as possible. Bleh bleh bleh. ‘Mom’ unscrewed a flask and handed it to me, which I gingerly sip. The taste of whatever this is, is mildly sour and pungent but in comparison to death by salt this is preferable. Bleh.

‘Mom’ takes the flask back and twists the cap back on before letting it slump onto the table; then she claps her hands and rifles through a bag, pulling out a brush with a pale, smooth handle and a curved head, "Ghos nadev Sybil2Come here Sybil" Waving me over to her side of the table. I get there and she starts brushing my hair briskly, pausing only to work out a tough knot she found in the short tangle that rests on my head. It's been two days since I woke up here and I still haven't seen my hair or face properly. Guess we can't afford mirrors, but that makes sense considering the food.

With a muttered word that I assume to be an apology ‘Mom’ wrenched a knot of hair from the back of my skull based on the screeching pain I suddenly feel there. Turns out my hair is black.

"'e' must've 'oy' 'ach tlhih're such a maj puq, qo' shouting at hoch.3 That must've hurt but you're such a good child, no shouting at all." She rubbed my head lightly before cupping my chin and dragging my gaze toward her. This is kind of uncomfortable; don't like looking at eyes. I glanced away but she squeezed my chin and said a word like it's my name. Sybil, Sybil, Sybil...? Are those noises are my name? That's stupid.

"Sybil qim4pay attention" Her brown eyes bored into mine. It felt like a piece of metal was poking at me, sinking deeper and deeper into my skin. Stop it. "Wa'les mah're going on vay' called a wagon, 'ej 'e' is going to tlhap mah far away fromisth aefl-tbeint slum. Mom found an old jup 'iv's going to qah mah, 'ej jih need tlhih to qu' maj. 'e' means qo' fussing, qo' wandering, 'ej qo' talking. 'oh's better if tlhih stay as soqmoh as sboelsip ,uaecebs sthi. Isn't safe. Don't worry though, mom will pol tlhih safe.5 Tomorrow we're going on something called a wagon, and that is going to take us far away from this flea-bitten slum. Mom found an old friend who's going to help us, and I need you to be good. That means no fussing, no wandering, and no talking. It's better if you stay as close as possible, because this...isn't safe. Don't worry though, mom will keep you safe" I'm certain that she said something important, but I cannot understand her and at this point I want to tear my eyes out.

She let go of my chin and continued brushing my hair. My neck shrinks when the brush runs near it while a sharp note of alarm blares in my mind. So the rules are to not look at eyes and not let things touch my neck, got it. A few more close calls before it's a one-way ride to an attempted smack down and my unruly hair is slightly more rule-y. I'm strangely exhausted by this ordeal and immediately head to bed after my hair is released. Ugh...

 

----------------------------------------------------------

‘Mom’ wakes me up for a change, shaking my shoulder gently and refusing to leave with her abnormal strength despite my best efforts, then pulls a brown shirt that’s obviously meant for an adult on me, then the first child-sized clothing I’ve come across as a darker pair of pants then ties a worn belt around my waist to secure it together. She then licks her palm and sorts my hair into some fashion out of my face even as I grimace in disgust at her actions. Gross.

She grabs the bags on the table and glances around the room like she’s checking for something. Nodding, she bends down a little and picks me up on the opposite side of where she’s holding the bags. I guess we’re going somewhere? I leave the room for the first time that I can remember and I stare at the crooked door shrinking behind me until my ride turns a corner. It’s still dark outside, and a little chilly. I involuntarily shiver and feel my back get rubbed as the pace picks up. I turn my head so I can see where I’m getting transported; nice view.

The streets, while unpopulated by passers-by, feel cramped with the amount of trash clinging to the sides of buildings alongside crates and the occasional cart stamped with what looks like some sort of snake. Compared to the surroundings these carts are luxurious, so that means whoever owns them isn’t a pushover. Even further we go until the buildings begin to thin out and there’s an ugly wagon, with an uglier man standing next to it. He sneers when we approach, narrowing his eyes and furrowing his brow as his eyes track my diminutive body.

“Nuqjatlh’s with the nuqjatlh rat?6 What’s with the bile rat?” His voice sounds like he’s trying to gargle mucus and his breath somehow smells worse as he leans to inspect me further.

 ‘Mom’ subtly twists me and her body away from the man and she replies “Jih told tlhih about ghah earlier; tlhih said jih could qem ghah as long as jih brought another bal7 I told you about him earlier; you said I could bring him as long as I brought another bottle” She pulls a dull green jug from a bag and shakes it lightly before the man snatches it away with a snort.

“Alright, Loy wa' more stowaway won’t vut hmuc fo a ifeenerfdc. Not hoch would qu' quite vaj…understanding of your ghu' miss.8 Alright, guess one more stowaway won’t make much of a difference. Not everyone would be quite so…understanding of your situation miss.” He leers and I catch sight of his yellowing teeth before straightening up and gesturing to the wagon “Oph no ,asty inetls 'ej hochhom importantly stay still.9 Hop on, stay silent and most importantly stay still.

 

24