Chapter 8: First-first aid
404 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Enjoying the update scheduling so far? Update:in terms of a tie monday will win automatically
  • Yeah Monday's Fine I'm Used To It (default) Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I'd prefer it closer to the middle of the week (Tues, Wed, Thurs) Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I'd prefer it on the weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) Votes: 1 20.0%
Total voters: 5 · This poll was closed on Jul 1, 2022 12:17 AM.

Okay, so make that one idiot knight I had to heal.

I walk around the knight who had a red feather in his helmet, the probable leader, and take off his helmet to look at the pallid, angular face that puffed out a muted gasp every few seconds. His eyes blearily stared ahead, like they were looking at something just beyond me. I toss his helmet to the side and look at the stomach wound leaking out from his chainmail. Gross. I shove a wet tube back into his body and sit back for his own cubes to form. And waited. The idiot must’ve forgotten because all that happened was him bleeding a bit more.

“Augh!” I smacked my forehead in frustration. Then I smacked his forehead so that he feels included, and he shows his appreciation with a low grunt.

“>Heal already you idiot!<” I grabbed the cube falling from my mouth and pushed it into his wound, which I watch flesh knit together. Not fast enough. I say some insult about his combat effectiveness because I got that bug down in like, five minutes.

Bam, another cube slapped against his healing side. Loser passed out for some reason, but that’s not my problem. He’s not going to die directly because of me, and now I’m hungry again. Little body, big stomach.

I look down at the bodies littering the clearing and wonder what to do. I nudge a close body with my foot. Hm.

---------------------------------------------------------

I dragged the bodies and lined them up in a row, then I search their bodies for food. I don’t find any, so that means either these people are very stupid, or other people live nearby. If I go find those people, then they’ll find <Mom> for me. A hopeful feeling sits in my chest. I look at the still faces of the former knights

“>I’ll find her,<” I inform them “>And then I steal her jerky as vengeance<”. Pretty straightforward, I think. If there’s magic to harness the power of a storm, then surely I can find one dark-haired woman. Piece of…something. Berries. Piece of berries.

I fail to find food, but I find a bag of some sour-smelling liquid and several bags of shiny metal pieces with a carving of some tree. Watching them glint in the dim sunshine I decided to collect them, which was easy until I got to the living knight, who grunted and kicked at me even while asleep.

Wounded emotionally I glared at the unconscious man, “>Rude…<” It’s not like he was using the pieces. Still, I didn’t care enough to fight him for his pieces, so I kindly let him be.

I look up at the darkening sky peeking through the branches then decide to work my way back to my little cave. I’m comfortably full and incredibly tired. My legs are heavy and my eyes work slowly. I glance at the sleeping man, whose face is a healthier color than before. I nudge his arm a little, then try to drag his body to my cave, 

Logically this should work, as I already pulled four others into the clearing, but red-feather doesn’t budge. I push, I pull, nothing happens. I am panting beside him, and he has only moved a little from where he rested against the tree. Irritated, I poke his face and then look at the knights. More specifically I look at their cloaks.

Red-feather-jerk looks a lot warmer under four new cloaks on him and I head back to my cave. I’m not staying out when it gets fully dark, and I’m not sleeping next to the jerk that tried to kick me after I saved his ungrateful butt. Besides, who knows if that guy is trustworthy? I’ll check on him in the morning and feed him some bug, as he refused to eat it earlier. Jerk.

My cave is where I left it, stick pile and all. I settle the four bags of metal in a divot in the wall, then curl into a ball again to sleep. My arm is playing a pillow again, I’m fed and warm. I was tired, but apparently, it was time to think. I think about the monster, how big it was. How I shouldn’t have survived. Why my cubes dissolve it. Why I ate it so quickly. I don’t have answers to any of those questions, and that’s irritating.

I huff and close my eyes, hoping the sun returns quickly.

I noticed that most people tend to actually read the story like a day after I update so maybe Monday 5 pm isn't the most convenient time; though even if y'all vote for a day later in the week that doesn't mean extra chapters this week- just a bit longer to wait next week. Happy Monday!

18