Chapter 28: Two backpacks
212 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_ Behold, I have returned _(:3 」∠)_

We trekked a wide arc to avoid where we saw the goblin, even though it’s probably left by now; Loup was in the front, followed by Lucy and me. I would be further in the back but Lucy said that we’re supposed to hold hands for safety reasons; maybe to make sure I don’t get left behind. That’s surprisingly decent of her for once, and it’s not nonsensical like when she gave me those weeds earlier. Maybe those are also useful? I’ll have to ask Raun.

    A twig snaps from behind us and we all stiffen up and, in a practiced motion, Lucy and Loup gather in a group, backs pointing against each other; I’m also there, but a smidge out of the tri-point thanks to my double-backpack situation; I feel a little off-balance, glazing here and there for…something. Not something good, based on the pinched faces of those beside me.

    From out behind a tree I spot movement and my head follows it. It’s that strange animal from earlier, that… goblin: pale skin and a flat face that trembles as its large open nose twitches up and down as drool drips from the sides of its wide mouth. Unlike the goblin that we encountered earlier, it has a short spear made of a sharpened stick that flexes in its hand. Out of the brush surrounding us, four more goblins follow- chittering excitedly to each other. I squint at the armed goblin and spot a slightly taller shadow hanging back.

    “That must be the leader,” I whisper to my group, nodding in the goblin’s direction. Loup scowled and swore under his breath.

    “Lucy. How far away is the guard rotation supposed to be in the morning?” He asked, tightening his grip on his spear. Lucy hissed a breath between her teeth as she chewed her lip lightly.

    “They shouldn’t be more than a few minutes- no more than ten- from where they could hear us…unless something else has gone wrong.”

    At that Loup gave a humorless-sounding laugh. “We’re having our second goblin encounter within an hour, it’ll be a surprise if there isn’t a stampede attacking the village.”

    Wasn’t there a rabbit stampede just a few weeks ago? Boss rabbit was taken out quickly, so no real harm was done, but it freaked the goats out quite a storm; I had to spend the rest of the afternoon singing lullabies while Raun played his lute till the bleating stopped. Raun said I coulda plucked a few strings but one, strings make me feel like my fingers are going to get cut off and two, Raun’s singing sounds worse than that time I had to help a farmer deliver a drog calf. Both mother and child caused my ears to ring hours after the farmer paid back work with a bag of seeds and a new tool for the orphanage, both grabbed by Brun. Stingy.

    Not like I could do anything with either payment; it always seems like I’m just not meant to deal with plants. Brun says I’m impatient, but that’s just grown-up for I should get used to being bored. It’s irritating- makes me want to itch out of my skin sometimes.

    Wait-wait-wait, what the fuck is that goblin doing. Pay attention; Loup thrusts his spear at it, causing it to skitter away from the point but it keeps circling us with tighter and tighter rounds. I wait until it's close to me and make a few rude noises that would usually get me in trouble but Brun isn't here and they caused the goblin to skitter away a little. Until it comes back hissing, as we kick at it. My breath picks up with the stress as I try and think of a way out. For better or worse, we’re alone with no witnesses. I feel my breath quickening-what do I do- and, after stepping out a bit from my group- I have to protect- in this still-silent-threat clearing, bare my teeth in a snarl. Stress-fear-anger let’s go let’s go-go-go-go. The goblin lunges at me again. Something snaps inside.

    “Fuck’re ya waiting for?” I roar, cleaving my axe into the exposed shoulder of the stunned animal, and grin as noise takes over the previously quiet forest.

10