Chapter 8 – A Long Release and Chapter
1.2k 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I feel like I’m suspended in space, my body feels...no I just don’t feel anything. Am I even breathing right now? I can’t even hear a sound, rather, do I even have ears at this moment? I don’t think I have anything, but that’s not right, since I can still think. Maybe it’d be better to just not think...I’m so tired...let’s just rest.

But, before I even had the chance, a bright light suddenly pierced this empty plane and I found myself in a large rectangular room. The ground in which I stood upon was grey and smooth. Upon further inspection, there was a white line circling the space. It seemed...about the same size as the ring in the field.

Wait, where’s the field??? Where is this?!?! Speaking of which, the last thing I remember was one of those bullets shredding me. If that’s the case, is this the afterlife? No, maybe I’m in a coma and this is a dream?

Then suddenly, I heard a click, it sounded constantly. I kept spinning and twisting, but I kept trying to search for the source of the sound as it echoed. My search came to an end as I saw a bullet rush towards my face.

It hurt, it hurt like someone threw acid on your face and you tried to wipe it off but it just spread. Like a colony of fire ants decided to dig out my face and neck as its new home. And then, it didn’t. The pain faded.

I open my eyes and I find the same scenery as before, grey floor, grey walls, and a light that came from nowhere. Then the clicking.

This time I was prepared, after a subtly louder click than normal I rolled out of the way as fast as I could and watched a bullet sail past me. An urge to feel a false sense of security grew in me, but I needed to be wary still. 

With that thought in mind, I got shot in the back and a gorgeous blooming flower pattern dyed the shirt I wore. Then like last time, everything repeated.

Bullets and more bullets. About every part of my body has been shot at least once at this point and there’s a weird feeling in my head. It’s like I’m tired, just get it over with, why are you here doing this? Why don’t you just-

“Snap out of it!” Inexplicably, I scream those words. Of course, I got shot again. I feel a bit better, somehow. This hellscape of a bullet game isn’t going to put me down alright!

---

I don’t know how long I’ve been doing this, my body feels quicker and I can even see the bullets now. After a while, they started becoming fire bullets, water bullets, heck, even air bullets (those killed me a lot)!

But with every attempt, every restart, I became better...not really. If I have to say, it’s like the difference between crawling and walking. One is obviously better, but you’ll still trip while walking right?

Sometimes I get so tired physically that I just let it kill me so my body feels refreshed again. Don’t get me wrong, mentally I’m even more tired but I’m starting to just get used to it. It and the pain.

I tried lying down once but then a bullet came from straight above me and that was certainly a unique feeling. This place is just a device to laugh at me for losing so fast in the ‘DodgeBullet’ game right?!

Like it was on cue, I suddenly hear a ring, and projected in front of me is a light green panel with the words, “Last Attempt for Success, Failure Results in Death”

Haha, f@q. With profanities in my head, the clicking began, and soon, the bullets.

The first one is simple, the second one, third, fourth...It continues as they start morphing, the fire ones are easy to detect, just feel the heat and move out of the way.

The water ones slosh a lot so I can hear them coming, and the ice I feel the coldness.

Lastly...the air ones, I need to either feel it and move as fast as possible or, predict where they’re coming from. Which is easier said than done.

And so I keep moving, for who knows how long. My lungs roar in hunger for air, but I have to say we don’t have time for air okay? The sting in my limbs becomes more pronounced with every second, and I can barely resist the urge to just give up and end it there.

This is...my limit. I couldn’t help but think, an overwhelming emotion overflowed inside me, I can’t even tell what it is, but I feel the tears. There are five bullets coming at me, I can’t dodge them. Approaching so quickly, but it’s in slow motion. Oh whatever, let’s go out fighting!

However, something feels wrong, a nagging feeling in the back of mind and I don’t know why myself, but instead of trying to avoid all of them, I move away from the center to the left.

I expected a shock of pain and then the quiet of death, but the bullet phased through me, and with widened eyes, I saw a few others also dissipate with one bullet left.

As my body collapsed in exhaustion, I heard a robotic voice saying, “Task Complete”

---

“Hey, are you coming?” A voice made my eyes snap open. In my view, I see a field and some familiar faces.

“Yes, sorry!” I vaguely say as I walk into the ring, a strong sense of deja vu is overwhelming me.

Was it all a dream?

My thoughts are in turmoil, but it’s not like anyone waits for my thoughts. “Ready, Set, Go!” Our homeroom teacher says, and just like before, bullets start flying.

I’m about to start panicking again before I realize something. Aren't these bullets, like, super slow?

Eve: I made an extra-long chapter filled with nothing substantial!

ile: It's crunch time! And you will know what that means tomorrow

1