29 – A young maiden
3.8k 4 139
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I understood that I was being treated to a drink, maybe because she bears a part of the involvement. This is probably the reason for her actions. Because I was the one who provoked the fight, normally she could have very well just ignored me.

I nod towards Lu-chan who was just watching the show. I don't have any reason to refuse a free drink.

"Ok. I'll take you up on that offer."

Once returned to my seat I was treated to a drink as she promised. The treat was just an ice-cream soda but it was still delicious. I guess she isn't used to alcohol. Heck, my body can take it, but if she's a pure maiden I better refrain. It's not very lady like to drink booze this early.

"Mind telling me your name, onee-san?"

"I'm Yufine, and this is my traveling companion, Lu-chan."

"Yufi, can you please not introduce me with that nickname? Only you call me that. Ahem, I am Luvia. Pleased to meet you, miss…"

"Oh. That's right. Pardon my manners. You may call me Nana."

"I appreciate the drink, Nana, but… Do you need something? This treat you gave me is not the reason why you stopped me right?”

"Uu~, you even understood just from that.”

“It was easy to tell that much.” 

The atmosphere around her indicated that she wanted to talk. Without such an intent she would not have stopped me from leaving.

“U~~ Am i really that easy to understand?” 

For some reason, her upturned eyes become cloudy.

"Who knows, Maybe I’m just very sharp. So, what do you want to talk about?"

"Ah, tha-, that is…” 

She stammered as she was hesitant to say her words.

“I will go if you have nothing else to say.” 

It was a tease, but her reactions are cute. A girly elf is refreshing. She's quite a beauty now that I take a better look at her.

My arm was gripped once again as I stood up.

“A-, about your strength. I have never seen a woman like you. Are you perhaps an adventurer?” 

"We're both mercenaries. As for the nature of my power I have no obligation to disclose that information."

“I…..see, Is that so? That’s right….”

"Anyway, you showed guts too, not backing down to them."

"Eeh? Thank you! Fufu!"

When she smiled at that time, it was a such a brilliant smile that it would captivate anyone looking at it. The smile had the ability to pacify and charm those that looked at it. However, it's better to keep a poker face.

"You're not from around here, are you onee-san? What brings you to Aeonia?"

"Well, my purpose is a little bit unusual.” 

“What do you mean?” 

How am I supposed to tell a young girl that I actually was just adapting to every scenario life threw at me? If it's something like an ambition I have in life… I guess I don't have something like that. I could always say that I wish to vanquish The Old One like the Goddess told me, but I don't want to draw attention to me. And besides, why would I want to help a world where the Goddesses decided to abandon me?

Still, it would be nice to one day see Miyuki again, but considering how big this world is… that might not happen. The closest thing I have to a goal would be…

"The Grand Dectus Library is here in this country right?” 

“Yes.” 

One of the vastest libraries in this world is located on this continent. Lu-chan mentioned this, however she didn't know the exact location. This girl just confirmed it for me.

“I came here because I want to receive permission to enter up to the 5th floor.” 

Truthfully speaking, there's one thing I need to research. Dragons and other strong beings. Any clue that can lead me towards Olivia's killer. And after the encounter with the Divine Generals, I came to the conclusion that while I am stronger than most people, I can't let that go to my head. There are stronger people than me, so learning how to grow further or any type of weakness is crucial. The 5th floor is supposed to have all the juicy books.

“Speaking of the 5th floor, you need a royal family’s permission to get there. Why do you want to go to such a place?” 

“Hah? Isn’t it obvious? I want to the read the books? Is there any other reasons rather than to read? Knowledge is power. There's something I need to discover no matter what.”

".....Eh? You will not try stealing and selling the books?” 

She looked at me with a surprised expression, as if she wanted to say “Really?”

“Hah? What makes you think that? What happens if we sell them? Will we get some gold out of it? Give me a few days little girl, and I probably can memorize everything that's necessary. There's no point in taking anything from there.” (Luvia)

“Listen well, I only want to read a rare book. Is gathering intel a bad thing? I have no interest in things like money. If I need money, I can always slay some monsters for it.” (Yufine)

“.........” (Nana)

For a while, the young girl was dumbfounded.

“Ah, I apologize for that. I have received many requests to enter the 5th floor, but up to now, most of thier intentions was to steal what is inside, so I unintentionally asked because most people who wanted it intends to make a profit out of it.

I see, I mean, I’m really sorry about that. I did not consider that there was a person who wanted only to satisfy their knowledge.”

"Don't you love books?"

"Well, when I read a book, it allows me to be someone else. So while I’m reading, I can freely spread my wings.”

"Should I take it that means you are someone that can grant access to the library?"

"You aren't aware who I am?"

"In my point of view, all I see is an ordinary young girl.” 

Startled from Yufine's words, Nana’s heart leaped. It was as if a sharp arrow pierced her heart. No, it’s different. She sensed her heart being gripped by something bare-hand that sent a rush throughout her entire body.

( An ordinary…...young girl? Me? Why am I feeling this… especially towards another female…?) 

Although Nana didn’t notice, her face was dyed in red up to her ears. And because of that, the shopkeeper was grinning at her when she saw such a face.

“C-Ccccalling me an ordinary girl, I-IIt’s embarassing!” 

She took in deep breaths as if trying to calm herself down.

"Ahem. That will suffice for now. Yufine-san, Luvia-san, I will take my leave now. If you stay in Aeonia for a while and make some achievements, we might meet again. Try becoming adventures instead of mercenaries. An adventurer is more reliable. Earn a high enough rank and if it reaches my ears… who knows. I might put in a good word for you and gain the access you need."

What a weird girl. If she says that she must be someone with high social status. At least I managed to dodge any dangerous bullets. Becoming adventures though… I gotta give it some thought.

139