Plans
76 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ranka still didn’t know what to do with herself, even after a day of processing the news she could be open about the love she felt. It was like she was walking on clouds. There was, though, the lingering question of where Asa would stay. Her own apartment could only work on those nights she had no clients... having Asa in the building at all made her feel uncomfortable with the idea of taking clients, if she was being honest. Still, she had nowhere else to house her. She didn’t trust any other house in Yoshiwara to leave a woman as beautiful as Asa alone, unless she paid more for rent than she could afford while hoping to buy her own freedom in the near term.

Outside Yoshiwara, she had only three options to even debate. She trusted Tousui, but his father was a friend of Muraji’s. There was no way Asa would be safe with him. The Shidates were good people, but she couldn’t drag them into this, and the same held true for Katagamis. Muraji was obviously a ruthless man, and the guarded moats of Yoshiwara seemed the only place in Edo safe from him. The only place he couldn’t send in hired thugs.

Well, apart from the Imperial Palace or some other option off limits to Ranka as much as to him.

“I suppose between the three of us,” Ranka muttered, going back to the option of having Asa sleep wherever Ichi would sleep.

“Pardon?” Saki asked, her soft voice drawing Ranka from her thoughts.

She hadn’t forgotten that Saki was visiting her apartment to have breakfast, but it certainly hadn’t been the main concern on Ranka’s mind.

“I was just trying to work out, now that the Yarite has confirmed I can bring Asa around, if I’m discrete, where she should stay. I can’t leave her where she is... but having her sleep here in my apartment while I have a client in the other room seems... inappropriate,” Ranka explained. “Between the three of us, though, we should usually have someone free for the night.”

“Oh,” Saki replied, her voice distant. “Well... I won’t be here too much longer.”

“Pardon?” Ranka asked, checking to make sure Saki’s complexion seemed normal enough.

“Ah! No, not in a negative way. It’s... Tousui. Between his feeling Yoshiwara is no place for a woman who is with child, and our realising together it could solve his father’s demands for an heir, he’s begun to negotiate for money from his father to buy my freedom, so that I can marry him,” Saki replied, eyes studying the table. “I hope you’re not offended?”

“Why would I be offended? It’s excellent news! I only wish I wasn’t saving money, so I could throw you a party to celebrate,” Ranka replied, grabbing Saki’s hands into hers and giving her de facto older sister a large grin.

“Well, he was your client?” Saki said softly, still not making eye contact.

“So? I’m not losing his friendship in this. I’ve already lost his patronage for unrelated reasons, even if we were to pretend you were somehow a threat to that,” Ranka explained, laughing a bit.

“I suppose that’s true,” Saki replied, her cheeks red. “It will be strange, to have my marriage be such a firm retirement from the trade... at least as long as I am carrying a boy right now. A girl might not satisfy his father.”

“Well, you can worry about that later,” Ranka said. “For now, we’ll celebrate you being set to escape this city of little sleep, too much makeup, and closed gates.”

Saki gave a smile at that, and the pair slid into discussing what she’d do once she was free. Both agreed that too much travel while pregnant might not be the best move, but that she should do some travel as soon as she was able. Fresh country air was something both of them missed, along with the snowy winters of their home. 

Of course, even once Saki returned to her own apartment, Ranka found concentrating harder than ever. She was excited for Saki and had her mind racing about what to do for Asa. 

A mischievous smile grew on her face as she realised she could try pressuring the priest to let Asa stay at the shrine. The man was like puddy, and, if his sister refused, a little rice would let her charm the miko too. 

Of course, that was no doubt pushing things on how much kindness she’d received from servants on Inari during her life. She would find a better solution.

Knocking on her apartment door drew her from her thoughts and Ranka headed over to open it. A blushing shinzou girl passed her a letter, before hurrying off. She realised, as the girl rounded a corner out of sight, that she’d been one of the ones to propose yesterday. Ranka laughed for a moment, until she looked down and saw the seal on the letter.

Muraji.

Eyes narrowing, she pulled the envelope open, to read its unpleasant contents. He opened with bragging about how well his trading was going, going into specifics that she had little context for and less interest in. Then she hit the part that mattered. He was returning early. 

He’d sent the letter just before gathering supplies, promising to visit her within a week of the letter’s arrival.

Ranka felt the ground pulled out from under her, and had to place a hand against the wall for balance. She was supposed to have nearly a month left. A month to plan, to find somewhere safe for Asa, to raise more money to make her freedom come sooner. 

Against her desire to destroy the letter right then and there, Ranka forced herself to read on, her heart somehow dropping deeper as Muraji promised he’d set himself up as her sole patron. Freedom would take so much longer to manage now. 

She had to act. She didn’t have a proper plan, but she was going to get Asa out. Somehow.

On her hands and knees now, Ranka was left wondering at what she’d done to warrant being taken from euphoria and dropped to the depths of despair so quickly. Despite trying her best to form an emergency plan, pessimism and fear began to overwhelm her, causing her to feel that every idea she had would only end in failure.

She was so lost in her turbulent sea of emotions that she nearly missed more knocking on her door. Slowly, hoping to wipe away some of the tears with her yukata’s sleeve, she got to her feet and went to the door. Sliding it open a crack, she was greeted by Katagami’s face, the man looking confused at first and then concerned as soon as he got a proper look at her.

“Is everything okay? May I come in?” the young guard asked.

Ranka nodded, stepping aside and sliding the door open just enough for him to slip in. 

“I’m sorry for the tears,” Ranka said as she slid the door closed. “I just got a letter with... unpleasant news.”

Katagami gave a slow nod. “Does it have to do with that Asa woman?”

Ranka blinked, confusion temporarily overwhelming her other emotions. “Pardon?”

“Er, well... I ended up telling my wife about the odd request that Lady Hanamoto made yesterday. The one about Oiran being allowed female lovers and... she said that that was delightful news for you. That there was a woman named Asa who was important to you?” Katagami explained. “I have to admit to being curious, so, now that my shift has started, I wanted to ask you about things... if I came at a bad time, I can leave.”

“No, no... I mean, it is a bad time for me, but that’s a reason to want you around. Or, at least, someone around,” Ranka replied, elaborating when Katagami looked briefly alarmed. “I... I suppose I can explain the full situation, now that there’s no longer a threat of punishment. Well, aspects of it could rile up the Yarite, but... can I trust you to keep those things secret?”

Katagami gave a nod. “I’ve come to consider you a friend. I would gladly keep secrets for you.”

Ranka smiled. Then she began her explanation. Her chance meeting with Asa, growing lost for a brief time in discussing her beauty. Then the way Muraji treated Asa: effectively a prisoner in a foreign land she could not escape into. How Ranka had snuck out to see Asa again a few times, and fallen for her completely. Her singing, her quick wit, the fire in her dark eyes, still smouldering despite everything that she’d been through. 

Then she got to the dangerous part. How Muraji had become a patron of the Ageya, visiting her, drawn in by silver hair. How he’d... Ranka couldn’t help shivering, and noticed the look of horror in Katagami’s eyes.

“A secret against a client isn’t too great a request, is it?” Ranka asked, terrified she’d pushed too hard and fast on Katagami’s trust.

“No... It’s not that he’s a client... well, okay, it’s that he’s your client. That he did what he did... that you had to entertain so loathsome a man. And to have to go further...” Katagami replied, before trailing off with a shiver.

“He’s been gone the last couple months, on a trading expedition... somewhere. The letter though, that’s from him. He apparently had more success than expected, and is returning early. In a week at the most. It’s also been enough of a trading success that he plans to become my sole client,” Ranka explained, trying to hold down the contents of her stomach.

“So, what’s the plan? We rescue Asa and... my home is small, but we could host her for a short period, while we hunt for something better?” Katagami offered.

“We? I... I can’t drag you into this,” Ranka said.

“I’m dragging myself into it. I refuse to sit to one side while such an injustice is being played out. I already have to ignore the crimes of the less reputable businesses here in Yoshiwara... I’m not about to sit out on an injustice I can actually fight.”

Ranka felt a smile on her face again. “Alright, I’ll accept your help. I won’t make you house her though. The Ageya is large, and only guards can bring weapons within the gates of Yoshiwara. It’s safer for everyone if she’s here.”

Katagami nodded, and the pair began to plan. There was generally only one guard outside the Muraji home, but... a frontal attack in such a rich part of Edo would surely get city guards mobilised. Still, Ranka had no idea what Asa might need to bring with her. Even if Katagami’s fighting abilities might not be needed, his strength would probably be of use.

“Do you know any true Kitsune?” Katagami asked suddenly, throwing Ranka for a brief loop.

“Not well, but I have a few acquaintances,” Ranka replied.

Katagami nodded, scratching his chin thoughtfully. “They can copy the face of a person, right?”

“Yes? I... ah, so that Muraji wouldn’t notice Asa had left?” Ranka asked.

“Mhm, that’s what I was thinking,” Katagami replied.

“It seems worth a shot. He’s rich, and a Kitsune could have lots of fun causing mischief,” Ranka replied. “You’re on the night shift, right? We should head out first thing in the morning.”


To her relief, Ranka had no client that night and was able to get some rest, despite her excitement. A light breakfast of rice, white fish, and pickled vegetables had Ranmaru ready to head out. He got dressed and grabbed his bokuto. It wouldn’t survive long against a katana, but it could possibly buy him enough time that he would survive.

With dawn barely cracking, the morning guards arrived, freeing Katagami from his shift and the pair headed out. Once out of Yoshiwara, the pair initially headed east, towards the entrance of a narrow and winding alley. After a few narrow twists that left Katagami looking concerned, the pair arrived at Ranmaru’s favourite little hole in a wall restaurant. The Tanuki proprietor was starting to wake up some of the passed out patrons, mostly Kitsune, though others were wide awake, a mixture of early risers grabbing breakfast and nocturnal types finishing up their waking hours. 

“I see a few tails, but... no one else seems to be reacting,” Katagami whispered.

“There’s only two humans in the restaurant, not counting us,” Ranmaru whispered back. “The one is too drunk to notice, and I think the other is aware the girl he’s with is a Kitsune.”

“Wait... the rest are all Kitsune?” Katagami asked, eyes going wide.

“Nah, there’s a couple Tanuki, and a few other yokai, but it’s mostly Kitsune. The deep fried tofu here is to die for after all,” Ranmaru explained quietly, before clapping and gaining the attention of most of the patrons. “Hello all! I am in need of a skilled obake to replace the wife of a rich, but cruel man. If anyone is interested in providing him the sort of harassment he deserves, please raise your hand.”

“How rich?”

“He holds a red seal for trading abroad,” Ranmaru replied.

Suddenly several hands shot up, mischief sparkling in the eyes of all. Of course, a few were rather drunk, which left Ranmaru in doubt that they’d sober up in time to properly take in Asa’s appearance. He could further limit things by removing some of the faces he’d seen before who always complained about their plans backfiring. Of the remainder, one stood out due to its mixture of black and red colour patterns. While Ranmaru did not doubt the ability of other Kitsune to match a variety of human skin tones, normal red Kitsune tended to be on the paler end for their natural human forms. 

“Since you’re seeing their human forms, the one with the black kimono... does it seem to have a more tan complexion?” Ranmaru whispered to Katagami.

“Well, yes. I could mistake him for a Ryukyuan or maybe even a Thai trader? Certainly stands out from the others. Though... I don’t understand why he has his hand up, being a male?” Katagami whispered back.

Ranmaru couldn’t help laughing. “That matters less to Kitsune than it matters to me.”

With that, Ranmaru waved the cross patterned Kitsune over, seeing now that the kimono was indeed of a somewhat masculine cut, though a more androgynous style the likes of which Ranmaru also prefered.

“It’s good to make your acquaintance, my friend,” Ranmaru said as the Kitsune approached. 

“A chance to cause chaos and get my hands on some treasure is always tempting,” the Kitsune replied. 

“Oh, there’s lots of interesting treasure where we’re going. Foreign prizes of all sorts,” Ranmaru replied, leading them out of the alleyway and heading south.

“I... I might be too much of a human in asking this,” Katagami muttered, “but, since you’re going to replace a woman... can you wear a female face on our way over?”

The Kitsune blinked, before shrugging. “Sure, if that helps.”

The Kitsune then pulled out a small leaf, slipping it onto its head. The leaf disappeared in a burst of green flame, and the Kitsune’s kimono shifted slightly to a more feminine cut. Ranmaru had no doubt the Kitsune’s illusory form also changed, based off of Katagami’s face, but was more caught up in the shifting kimono.

“I wish I could get my clothes to do that,” Ranmaru muttered as they kept walking.

9