North
82 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The blood washed off easily enough. The feeling of revulsion and guilt was another matter, though it wasn’t the first time Muraji had led her to such feelings. She hoped they would dull with time in this case as well.

Staying with the body earlier, to make sure they really took it out from her apartment, may not have been the best decision for her peace of mind, but she needed to know he wouldn’t be there when she returned from bathing. It would be there. The room still needed to be cleaned, and she wasn’t sure how long that would take. If she was going to make a break for it tonight, before the Yarite found out what really happened or any or Muraji’s men showed up properly looking for vengeance, then she could tell herself it wasn’t her priority. What she needed to do was to gather her savings together and hope that it might be considered enough for her to get out, while she still had the sympathy of the guards.

Drying off and wrapping a linen yukata around herself, covering the blackening bruises that dotted her body (though her neck remained bare), Ranka headed to Fuji’s apartment, doing her best to hide the pain that every step sent through her. What she needed first, now that her stomach had calmed itself, was food. Once she had food, then she could try actually thinking about things. Making plans with actual specifics.

After knocking and being let in, Ranka found Fuji alone. The other woman had a pot of soupy buckwheat porridge boiling, having evidently predicted Ranka’s needs.

“Where’s Asa and Kane?” Ranka managed to whisper.

“Over at Kane’s inn. She can keep Asa there for a night or two, if that’s how long it takes to manage an escape plan,” Fuji replied. “We figured it was best to keep her as far from the Yarite as possible.”

Ranka nodded, as Fuji passed her a bowl of the rather liquid porridge. Taking a drink, she was annoyed to find swallowing still hurt, but was glad the meal stayed down. She knew to pace herself though, a stomach as empty as hers did not respond well to a rapid influx of food.

“I’ll need to change again, before we leave,” Ranka rasped, staring into a vague middle space. “Two women travelling together can be dangerous.”

“That would be three times in one day, no?” Fuji asked. “Isn’t two your limit?”

“I’m not a kid anymore. Three should be doable now,” Ranka mumbled. 

“You’re battered, bruised, and... and nearly died today. Maybe you could handle it on a normal day, but today?” Fuji countered. “No.”

“The sooner we get out of Edo, the better for Asa.”

“And if you push yourself too hard you’ll pass out for... the Buddhas know how long,” Fuji replied. “Go up to Saki’s and take a nap. I’m not giving you any rice until you’ve had at least a couple hours sleep.”

Ranka wanted to argue, but, reluctantly, realised she had no grounds to counter. It would probably be better to leave after nightfall, and there was still the possibility that Tousui might let her borrow a horse, so she should wait until after he’d arrived.

“Fine,” Ranka at last admitted, swallowing some pride. 

Wincing at the pain that standing up brought, Ranka excused herself and headed towards the stairs. They felt much taller and more tiring than usual, forcing her to admit there was no way she could have handled a third transformation right now. Knocking on Saki’s door, she was surprised how quickly Ichi opened it, and how excited the young girl seemed (one could easily forget how recently her operation had been).

“Is it true?” Ichi asked. “Did you really kill a guy?”

Ranka could only stare. “How quickly do rumours spread in this ageya?”

“When the shinzou girls see the guards carry a body out, quite quickly,” Saki replied, as she sorted through some clothing. 

“Did you do it as a man or as a woman?” Ichi asked, her interest in the death somehow surprisingly innocent.

“You’re a bit young to get details on such a thing,” Ranka whispered.

“The shinzou girls promised me rock sugar if I can get details,” Ichi replied.

“Fine, if that’s your motive... I was a woman for the fight, and I’d like to forget all other details,” Ranka rasped. “Now, Saki... could I borrow your bed? The air in my apartment is surely still thick with death, and Fuji might well have a client before I’d wake up.”

“Oh, yes... of course,” Saki replied.

Ranka gave her thanks and limped her way to the bedroom, more or less collapsing onto the bedroll. Sleep hit her faster than she expected it to.

The sleep that followed was far from restful, though. Chaotic and confusing nightmares filled her dreams. Sometimes things clarified enough to make a bit of sense... a snake with Muraji’s face twisting around her neck, blood never washing off, or the ever lingering fear of Asa rejecting her still. All a vaguely connected mess that seemed stuck in a loop, some new fear popping into her mind with the regularity of the clap of a bamboo souzu against a rock.

Eventually it all became too much and Ranka shot back awake, disoriented by her location and her form for a few moments. She saw Saki sitting near her, and a look of relief on the other woman’s face.

“Thank goodness. We tried waking you up a little earlier, but you wouldn’t wake up. We were worried you might have gotten possessed or something along those lines,” Saki said, handing Ranka a small cup of water.

“I... I think it was just nightmares,” Ranka rasped as she took a sip. “How late is it?”

“The sun is only starting to set. Tousui arrived a short while ago, and has been very worried about you. He wanted to go get someone from the shrine,” Saki said. 

Ranka nodded slowly, drinking a little more water, and surprised how raw her throat felt. She could only guess she’d shouted out in her sleep, as she’d felt like she’d done in her dreams. 

The door slid open just a crack, revealing Tousui’s nervous face. “I heard talking. Is everything alright?”

“As alright as it can be, with everything that happened today,” Ranka replied.

Tousui’s eyes looked spooked as he nodded. “I... I heard that it was quite the day. To have fought Muraji... I could barely meet his glare. You truly have the courage of a samurai.”

Ranka could only shake her head. She didn’t feel courageous. Denial would take more words, though. Her throat wasn’t ready for more words.

“I’ve got some rice ready for you, if you think you’re actually up for changing now,” Fuji’s voice called out.

Dismissing her feelings of self doubt, Ranka got to her feet and headed to the main room. She was glad to see the two small chests of money, that which Fuji had saved in one and that which Tousui and she herself had raised in the other. That saved having to go dig them out.

She was a bit less thrilled by the runny rice porridge she was being offered, but suspected her throat couldn’t handle much more. Drinking it more than anything, she felt the buzz of a transformation, and then a brief wave of exhaustion. Ranmaru managed to keep himself awake, though, shaking his head a little to try to break free of the feeling. A sharp pain shot through the rib he’d worried about earlier, but it did not worsen.

His hope that the pain would feel more distant in his alternate form proved hollow. He quietly finished the meal, throat still raw enough to make unneeded talking unpleasant.

Ranmaru then grabbed one of the chests, Tousui grabbing the other, and the pair headed down to the Yarite’s chambers. She looked rather less than pleased to see Ranmaru, though there was slight guilt in her eyes as her gaze lingered on his bruised neck. That guilt vanished when her eyes dropped further, to spy the chests both men were carrying.

“You already made your down payment, Mister Akado. I’m not one to refuse full payment up front, but... I do trust your father’s accounts,” the woman said.

“This isn’t payment for Saki,” Tousui replied.

“I have been saving for a while now,” Ranmaru whispered. “After what happened today... I can’t keep working here. This... this should be most of my contract.”

He felt weak for having to pause and rest his throat a moment, but did as was needed. “My possessions should cover the rest. Especially that ‘guitar’ Muraji left on his last visit.”

The Yarite narrowed her eyes, walking over and opening both chests to examine the contents. She seemed almost disappointed to find everything was in order, and that Ranmaru’s estimates were probably right. 

“I suppose it’s for the best that you won your fight today,” the Yarite muttered. “No doubt Miss Fuji would have swept in and gathered both these chests, leaving me down my biggest money maker without any recompensation... fine. That all sounds reasonable.”

Ranmaru was about to give his thanks when Tousui leaned in and pulled out a few bundles of coins.

“You’ll need some spending money when you get out there,” the young samurai said, before turning to the Yarite. “You can charge the shortfall to my father. Tell him it’s a processing fee or... something. I won’t see Mei out there without a coin to his name.”

“Very well. That’s pocket change on the full price of his contract,” the Yarite muttered, though she looked annoyed.

She quickly pulled out part of Ranmaru’s contract and harshly stamped the designated spot to approve of his freedom. He quickly, but politely, grabbed the paper and held it close.

“Thank you again, Tousui... and thank you Yarite,” Ranmaru said, bowing to both.

“I’ll probably be happier with you gone. You were always a headache,” the Yarite grumbled as the pair left. 

Ranmaru ignored her as he headed towards his apartment. There was still a smell in the room, but without the body he felt he could slip in and out to grab a few things and say a quiet farewell. While he was going to leave behind all his nicer clothing, he had a couple simpler masculine outfits that he was sure he wouldn’t be in trouble for taking. They were of little monetary value, but were rather necessary for travelling after all. He grabbed his old bokuto, not expecting it to be of much use against bandits but for the illusion of being armed it lent him. He grabbed his hair blackener as well, quickly applying some to help blend in as he travelled.

Things gathered, he headed out into the lobby, to find everyone waiting. Fuji was dressed nicely, but not fully in Oiran mode. Saki was dressed more simply, an outfit more befitting of a wife. Ichi was also dressed more like a normal girl than the specific look of a kamuro. 

Ranmaru felt himself suddenly overcome with the realisation this might just be the last time he saw any of them. He hoped he’d come back to Edo some day, but, all the same...

Overcome, he rushed ahead, grabbing one of Saki and one of Fuji’s hands.

“I hope this isn’t a permanent goodbye,” Ranmaru whispered.

“Send me a letter when you get home and Tousui and I will come and visit,” Saki said, tears running down her face.

“I’m not sure how long it will take, but I will,” Ranmaru replied, realising he’d started to cry as well.

“For me, you’ll probably have to come and visit. The Yarite seems to want to make me her successor after all,” Fuji said, a couple tears on her face as well.

“Not sure how welcome I’ll be in Yoshiwara, but I’ll try to come back to Edo at some point then,” Ranmaru said, trying to smile. “Oh, and do give my thanks and farewell to Katagami when you see him.”

“Yeah, I can do that,” Fuji replied with a bit of a smirk, not erasing the tears.

The trio then hugged, none of them wanting to break the hold. Eventually Ranmaru knew he had to back away, having to get out of the city before all the chaos in the air around him came crashing down.

He was ready to take a moment to give Ichi a goodbye however.

“Don’t be too much of a handful for Tousui and Saki, alright?” Ranmaru said, crouching down next to her. “Remember to keep up your visits with Doctor Nishizaki, too.”

“I’ll behave. I can follow rules. And I’ll keep seeing the doctor. He knows how to help me be more of a proper girl,” Ichi replied, studying the ground. After a moment she looked up, also crying, and threw herself onto Ranmaru with a hug. “I’d rather go with you though... not that I don’t like big sis Saki, she’s very nice, but... we’re both... you know, a little outside normal.”

“I’d love to bring you with me, but I don’t even have a home to give you now. You’re still recovering... I can’t drag you on the run with me,” Ranmaru said, ruffling the young girl’s hair.

Ichi pouted, but reluctantly let go and walked back over to Saki’s side, muttering an apology that got a chuckle and a smile out of Saki.

Ranmaru couldn’t help smiling a little at Ichi’s way of doing things. He was really going to miss the lightness she brought.

“Well, one last apology, Saki, but I’ll have to borrow your husband for a moment. I gather he has a horse for me?” Ranmaru said, turning to Tousui.

“It should be along shortly,” Tousui replied.

Ranmaru gave another final goodbye, before heading off with Tousui to the inn where Asa was being hidden. It seemed Kane had told the other employees to expect him, and the pair were shown the way upstairs quickly.

Kane’s room was small, though surprisingly filled with furniture and wall hangings. What half of it was he didn’t even register. Asa was there and she was the focus of his attention, even if she had a rather plain dark kimono and a sugegasa hat. Asa hurried over to him with a soft smile, running a hand lightly down his cheek.

“I was worrying,” she said.

“I’m very sorry. With everything that happened... I ended up having to buy my contract and freedom now... amongst other things. We’re going to be going now though. It’s getting dark and it’s probably safer to sneak out of the city now anyway,” Ranmaru replied.

Asa nodded, her eyes slipping down to his neck. He felt nervous for a moment, but she said nothing, only sliding her eyes back up, seeming to study his face.

“It’s a shame I’m not getting to talk with her more. That whole account of a kingdom of only women sounds fascinating,” Kane said.

“I’m sorry for that. I’m also sorry for having dragged you into keeping her hidden,” Ranmaru replied.

The actress shrugged. “What can I say? I’m a romantic. Now get going you two.”

Ranmaru nodded and led Asa down the stairs. Tousui followed, mumbling something in confusion regarding Asa’s homeland being women only. 

Then they were outside again, the evening air still humid. Edo in summer gave one little escape from the heat and that was one of many reasons Ranmaru wanted to head back home.

They hurried along the still muddy streets of Yoshiwara towards the gate, finding the guards looking bored. It seemed the first rush of the evening (those looking for a more general partying) had ended and it would still be a while until those looking specifically for company started filing in. 

In their boredom, the guards eyed Asa suspiciously.

“It’s not too often you see a beauty like her leaving Yoshiwara,” the one said. “Do you have papers proving she’s not a yujo?”

“Papers proving—this is a very fashionable district with the finest tailors in Edo!” Tousui protested. “Plenty of respectable women can enter and leave.”

“It’s a valid question, Tousui,” Ranmaru said. “Apologies for him, he’s just nervous about taking his own wife home today. As for us, I have my Oiran contract release form right here.”

Ranmaru pulled out his own forms, which the guards gave a quick inspection before handing back to him. 

“Looks right,” the other guard muttered. “Didn’t think they’d have such a foreign looking girl as an Oiran, but... I guess there’s different tastes for everyone.”

Ranmaru gave a sharp smile before taking Asa’s hand and leading her out into the potentially dangerous streets of Edo proper. Tousui followed close behind, waving to a man with a horse not far away.

“You’ll be taking one of the Gokaido, right?” Tousui asked.

“We’ll be following the Oshu Kaido north. At least at first,” Ranmaru replied.

“I’ll have to ask you not to take the horse further than Koga-shuku. I can only lend the horse after all,” Tousui replied.

“That should be far enough to get us safely from the city. Thank you,” Ranmaru said, bowing deeply to Tousui. “I am eternally in your debt for all you’ve done.”

“I was always a demanding customer. Plus, I’ve found a wife through you, and will soon have a child as well. I would say we’re even,” Tousui replied.

“Still,” Ranmaru said as he climbed up onto the horse, trying to ignore the pain that shot through him from the day, “thank you.”

Tousui helped Asa onto the horse and the pair set off. Ranmaru saw a man watch them with suspicion as they rode past, but it seemed that between very different clothing and his darkened hair they didn’t attract enough of his attention. Or the man was just bored and nosey and actually had nothing to do with Muraji. Ranmaru couldn’t say.

He also didn’t have much attention to waste once he saw the man wasn’t following them. He was tired, sore, and knew there were hours of riding ahead of them to get properly away from the city. He hoped to at least reach Kasukabe before resting at any hatago inn. 

He did wonder a bit at the way Asa was holding herself tight against him, her arms wrapped around his chest. She gave him no answer though, at least until they’d travelled long enough to reach the northern edges of the city. 

“You are a man now... again,” Asa whispered as they reached a point where rice paddies began to firmly outnumber houses. (At least as far as Ranmaru could tell in the depth of night.)

“I am,” Ranmaru offered quietly.

“You... you were a woman though? I saw... the bruises are the same. Your eyes are the same,” Asa asked.

“I... I was. If you don’t want me to be one again then I’ll do my best to stay a man,” Ranmaru replied. “And... if you don’t like the idea of my having ever been a woman then... I’ll only stay with you until you’re somewhere safe.”

It hurt to say that. Like breaking his own heart, but he had to be upfront. He’d kept things secret too long.

“How does it work? Is it from the Kitsune part?” Asa asked.

Ranmaru nodded and began to explain. Telling her how he was first transformed to protect him, with the blood transfusion from a Kitsune servant of Inari. How it had been such a surprise when he’d transformed again afterwards. That it was rice that caused the change, and how tiring it could be to try to avoid rice.

Asa had been quiet for much of the explanation, and he worried what she was thinking, until, at last, she spoke up.

“So... you are really a woman?” Asa asked.

“No. Not totally. I was born a girl, but... now I’m as comfortable either way,” Ranmaru replied awkwardly, feeling his cheeks grow hot.

There was another moment of silence before she spoke up again. “You are, at least, not totally a man?”

“I suppose that’s fair,” Ranmaru whispered, bracing for the worst.

He was surprised to find Asa’s grip around him tighten into something that felt truly like a hug. “Then I have not, totally, broken my promise.”

“Promise? What promise?” he asked, unsure if he was missing something obvious with how tired he felt.

“When I first saw the invader men they were all cruel. Dragged south to meet the foreign men, they were just as bad. So I promised myself I would not give my love to a man,” Asa explained. “Then, after time with you, I thought maybe the promise was silly. I still did not like breaking it though.”

Ranmaru felt a strange mixture of emotions bubble up within himself. He wasn’t even sure if the mixture felt positive or negative, but he certainly knew that it felt confusing. 

“I... there’s good men out there. Tousui and Katagami were two of my closest friends,” Ranmaru said, trying to get a handle on the issue.

“Yes. The promise was probably wrong, but... I still made it,” Asa replied.

Ranmaru supposed that made enough sense.

Asa leaned in for another hug. “You are very beautiful. I would like to see woman you again soon.”

Ranmaru felt himself grow flush and was glad for the darkness. “I’ll-I’ll probably stay a man when we stop tomorrow, but... the night after I can show you.”


Arriving at Kasukabe in the morning, the staff at the hatago raised an eyebrow about them asking for a bedroom during the day. They accepted though, as travellers with odd schedules did happen, especially so close to Edo. 

Ranmaru’s sleep was still filled with nightmares. Waking up to find Asa lying next to him, her arms wrapped around him, was comforting. 

The pair ate a quick dinner before setting out again that evening. They travelled more slowly this time, less afraid of pursuit and interested in returning to something closer to normal travelling hours. Taking breaks, and stopping for a morning meal at one of the many chaya restaurants that dotted the Oushuu Kaido, it was early afternoon when they at last reached Koga.

Once there they found a stable that would hold the horse until a servant of the Akado family picked it up. That step out of the way, it wasn’t hard to find an inn with rooms available in the early afternoon. Ranmaru paid for the room and a bit of food to take up with them.

With the door closed, he sat nervously across from Asa, the small bowl of rice in his hands.

“You’re sure you want to see me as a woman again?” he asked, feeling guilty as he glanced up at Asa.

“Very sure,” Asa replied with a smile. “I want to know all of you.”

Ranmaru took a deep breath and scooped up a generous mouthful of rice to eat. The shiver of the change hit, and Ranka found herself sitting looking up at Asa. 

She’d never properly registered that Asa was taller than most Japanese women. Ranka had simply thought of them both being roughly the same height, but that had been for her male side. Now, Ranka felt self conscious about being rather small next to the other woman.

The soft smile on Asa’s face was also comforting, though. That was what mattered.

“So beautiful,” Asa said, her eyes no doubt studying every little change, yet, somehow, it made Ranka feel loved rather than uncomfortable like when others did it.

“It’s not... it’s not too weird, is it?” Ranka asked, half mumbling. She was too busy trying not to blush at the way Asa was leaning closer to properly form any thoughts.

Asa’s soft lips against her own seemed to provide all the answer she could need. The smile as Asa broke the kiss reinforced it. Asa then raised a hand, brushing Ranka’s hair back and tickling her ear in a way that sent a shiver down her spine. 

“It is a little strange that you are both a man and woman,” Asa whispered at last. “I do not mind, though. In this country your being a man has many benefits. For me... I did tell you that I do not know how to treat a man. A woman though...”

Another kiss followed, this time Asa’s fingers tickled the nape of Ranka’s neck. It was not long until Asa’s hands slid elsewhere, always bringing joy with them, Ranka feeling weak from the long forgotten sensation of someone caring about her happiness and pleasure in a moment of intimacy. Clumsily, she tried to answer Asa’s touch with her own, hoping she was providing at least a fraction of the happiness in return.


Still flush, Ranka found herself in Asa’s arms as the pair lay beside each other, drifting on the edge of sleep.

“You will have to teach me what to change for your other side,” Asa whispered, drawing Ranka from her partial slumber.

“We’ll both have learning to do then,” Ranka mumbled, finding the idea almost tricky to imagine with how completely she’d given over to her feminine form just now. “I only had male clients... I don’t really know what to do for a woman in either form.”

Asa pulled her into a tighter hug, nuzzling her face into Ranka’s hair. “Your enthusiasm is very lovable. I am sure it will be the same for your male side.”

“I do have to ask, though... how do you know what to do with a woman so well?” Ranka whispered.

That got a quick laugh from Asa. “I did say I never paid attention to Mosuo men who visited because I was happy in a land of only women.”

Ranka’s cheeks went hot as the understanding hit her. “That... that makes sense.”

Announcement
We’re almost done. After so long of my forgetting to post updates because I’d finished writing the story long before posting it here.
11