Chapter 33 : Dragged away
2.1k 20 103
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was having a great time at dinner with my parents. We were all chatting and laughing, and for once, I was actually enjoying small talk. Not to mention Carine is taking a nap, so I can focus on relaxing as Feyt. Mom had made my favorite vegetable soup and deer meat, and the delicious smell wafted through the room. Oh the nostalgia~

"So, Feyt," said Dad, turning to me. "How is it with Ricent?"

"Fun, I guess?" I replied, taking a bite of my food. We played for a bit, but we mostly just cleaned his room. Which is entirely his fault, by the way.

"Is Kaela doing great? I haven't had the time to go to the bar lately."

"She's doing fine mom."

The conversation flowed easily as we finished our meal, talking about everything from my plans for the weekend to my parent's farm. I felt relaxed, I feel like I don't need to keep up an act here. Perhaps I should take father's offer and extend my vacation a bit. A few days wouldn't hurt, right?

"I'll wash the plates."

Mom stood up and started picking up the plates.

"I'll help!"

Just as I was about to stand up, there was a sudden knock at the front door.

"Did we expect any guests?" said Mom.

"Not really, hold on, I'll get it."

Dad stood up and excused himself.

I watched as Dad walked to the door, a feeling of unease creeping over me. I couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. The way the door was knocked, it was knocked aggressively, more pounding than knocking. And if I focus my mind a bit, I can hear some sort of commotion outside.

But before I could warn Dad, I can hear him opening the door and greeted the guests.

"Hello- Hey! What are you-!"

Suddenly, the door burst open and I could hear Dad being pushed to the ground. A group of armored men stormed into the room. Grabbing Dad with force.

"Let me go you-! Agh!"

One of the armored men punched Dad in the stomach, knocking him unconscious.

Dad's built like a tank, how strong is that man?!

I jumped up from my seat, Mom took a few steps back, shock and fear etched on her face.

"What's going on?" I shouted. "What are you doing to my Dad?"

One of them turned to me, a cold, hard look in his eyes. He then turned his eyes downward on a paper he is holding.

"Say," The man said to me. "Are you Feyt?"

How does he know my name?

"Y-Yeah? What-"

The man seemed to disappear, or rather, I couldn't see him anymore. However, I can hear his footsteps, I hear a loud kick to the floor as a gust of wind flew right into my face, causing my eyes to flinch and,

"GUHAGH-!"

Before I could react, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. My vision dimmed as I hear Mom scream.

"Feyt!"

I tried standing up, but my arms and legs won't respond. They felt like inanimate noodles.

I felt my body being lifted by someone.

"What should we do about her?"

"Leave her, we only need the kid and the men."

After that, I couldn't hear anything as my consciousness fade.

...

..

.

 


 

"Huh?"

I woke up with my head throbbing and my body aching. I attempted to stand up, but a sharp pain shot through my stomach.

"Gah!"

I slumped back down due to the pain.

I looked around, trying to get my bearings. I found myself in a small, dark cell with cold stone walls and iron bars. The floor is covered what seems to be hay and a single, rickety cot in the corner. The room has a few other people, all of them are men ranging from young adults to the elderly, and I recognize a few of them from the village. Some are sleeping, some are sitting in silence.

Then I realized that I was in a jail cell.

"Again? Seriously?"

I had barely lived in this world for a year, and I had already been kidnapped and put in jail, twice!! Thrice if I count Carine differently.

Anyway, I had no idea how I had gotten here or how long I had been unconscious.

I rack my brain, trying to remember what had happened. The last thing I could recall was having lunch with my parents, and then the armored soldiers attacked. They dragged me and Dad away.

Wait, that's right! Dad got kidnapped too, so he should be here!

"Dad!!" I screamed.

I looked around me and realized that Dad's not here. I yelled again, this time directing it out of the cell.

"Dad?! Where are you?!"

My shout echoed through the narrow halls.

"SHUT UP!" A loud voice responded in kind, echoing through the stone hallway outside of the bars.

I hear the clanking of iron boots as they near me. Soon, a man wearing armor that looks a bit different than what I'm used to seeing stands in front of my cell.

The armor the man is wearing has a design that is lighter in color, with blue drapes and cloths decorating it. The cloak he is wearing has a bear symbol that feels familiar to me, perhaps from a book.

Bears... Blue color scheme...

That's the Ortensian flag, isn't it?

However, my thoughts are cut short by the man's sudden punch at the iron bars.

"KID! Do you know how LATE this is?!"

Late? Is it nighttime? How long was I out for? I can't tell since there are no windows to give me a sense of time.

The man slammed the iron bars again with anger.

"I am TRYING to SLEEP! Got it?!" The man slams the bars each time he raised his voice.

Some of the people inside the cell with me who were sleeping woke up from his shouts.

I kept my silence, I don't want to anger him further, who knows what he'll do to me. After staring at me for a few seconds, the man walked away while grumbling.

"Tch, first, war with Denta, now a kid won't stop screaming, I swear I'll quit the second I get my pay..."

"Hey," One of the man who woke up called out. I looked at him, he's resting on the wall by the corner of the room. He has a short messy black hair with a thin body build. "You're a kid, why are you here?"

I recognize this man, he sells apples on the market if I recall correctly, he's the one who keeps yelling "Apples here! Get your apples here!".

Curious, I answered his question while asking one of my own.

"I was kidnapped, did all of you get kidnapped too?"

I assume so, they all look depressed and out of energy.

However, the apple man didn't answer me and just grumbled on his own. But of course, I can hear him perfectly.

"Why did they draft kids into war... Setus is messed up."

Draft? War? What is he talking about?

It took me barely a second to realize.

I got drafted into a war...

Shit shit shit! What do I do?! I can't fight in a war, I'll die in seconds, I'm a kid!!

Wait, I can just tell Father about this! Carine's still at home so-

Oh wait, I took a nap...

Shit, I need to wake me up!

Hey, wake up!

Wake uuuup!!

...

After several minutes of internal screaming, I gave up.

I'm screwed aren't I? Will Father even realize that I got kidnapped? Probably, thanks to the knights I was with. They've probably rushed to the mansion to let father know about this. But where were they when the soldiers kidnapped me and Dad? Surely they know something is amiss with all that commotion in the village.

After half an hour of waiting and doing nothing, Carine is still sleeping.

How long are you going to nap?! Wake up already! Our life is on the line here!

 


 

I quietly watched lady Carine from the side of her bed. She was fast asleep in her little nap, her chest rising and falling with each breath. The rain outside the window is rather loud, but she remains asleep soundly. I breathed a sigh of relief and closed the door, making sure to lock it properly. Lady Carine is safe, but my heart is heavy with worry for Feyt.

Feyt was just a boy when the lord took an interest in him and brought him to live with us. I and the others called him Sir Feyt due to Lord Kyrat's orders, I followed the orders but some of our staff was hesitant in doing that as they felt weird calling a commoner 'Sir', especially a child. But over the course of a few months, I watched Feyt grow into a fine young man, befitting to be called "Sir Feyt", and the hesitation the staff had dissipated little by litte. He is kind, gentle, and hardworking, and I'm sure he would have become a great knight if he ever strives to be one.

Unfortunately, Tinore's men accidentally drafted him into the war. I have a suspicion that this was deliberate. After all, why would a child be drafted into a war? Lord Kyrat shares my sentiment. I believe calling it a mass kidnapping is more appropriate than drafting, given the uncouth and rushed way in which it was carried out. From what I've heard from Lord Kyrat, this behavior aligns with Tinore's personality.

The Lord has gone to Tinore's mansion with his trusted men to try and have Tinore stop Feyt's carriage from reaching Ortensia, though I doubt he'll be there in time. It's been hours since the knight Feyt was with arrived with the news, but even if the knight had rushed, it would take him at least an hour to get here from the village, and Lord Kyrat's journey to reach Tinore's mansion isn't a short one either. Time has slipped through our fingers since Feyt was taken by Tinore's men, and I fear there may be little left.

Even so, I pray that Lord Kyrat is successful and that Feyt is spared from the horrors of war.

I stood there for a while, lost in thought as I watched the rain pour down into the garden. Eventually, I decided to head down to the kitchen to keep myself busy. What better way to do that than by cooking? I resolved to make some warm soup to calm my lady down when she wakes up and hears the news.

As I chopped vegetables and stirred the soup, my mind wandered back to Feyt.

"Hah..."

I let out a short sigh of worry. I wish I could do more to help, but there's nothing I can do now except hold onto hope.


Sorry for the long hiatus! I'm back now!

I'll try to release 3 chapters every week from now on. I didn't have a set schedule before this, so this should help me structure my chapters better.

And, as you can see, I have a new cover! Drawn by the amazing PurpleHorn! (Twitter) Please check them out!

I hope you are all having a good day, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

>>Full Cover Art<<

 

103