Chapter 38 : The Three he trusts
2k 11 100
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sitting in a relatively large sized tent are two figures. The tent is lit with a single lantern sitting in the middle of the tent. Feyt sits on his knees with the opening of the tent behind him, across from him is Lisenda, sitting with her arms and legs crossed.

Feyt sits with his head down as Lisenda observes him from head to toe with stern eyes, then, she spoke up.

"Have you been training?"

"Y-Yes!"

Feyt answered with energy, not because he was ordered to, but Lisenda has a vibe that makes him feel he should.

"What are you trained in? Sword? Spears?"

"S-Swords! I've been trained in swords!"

Feyt answers with little stammers at the start of his sentences. Lisenda's dominating aura is too pressuring for him to stay calm, especially knowing that she is willing to let him participate in the war.

"Swords, huh. Ask for one with the soldiers outside later."

"Y-Yes! I will!"

The tent fell into silence, with the commotion for the preparation outside the tent being the only sound they could hear. Feyt decided to ask a question.

"C-Can I ask something?"

"Hm? What?"

"Why am I here?" Feyt asked, trying to keep the plea out of his voice.

"No idea." Lisenda answered so with a shrug.

"What?"

"Even if I know, I wouldn't tell you."

Lisenda looked to the side, averting her gaze from Feyt.

"My orders are to keep you on the battlefield. I don't know the reason or goal, and I don't need to."

Feyt's shoulders slumped. He feel like he's a pawn, being used for something that he doesn't even know.

"Don't worry, you won't die."

"Huh?"

Feyt turned his head upwards to face Lisenda.

"The order did not specify that you must die. That means my order is to keep you fighting as long as possible, including preventing you from dying. But, I will also ensure you do not try to escape."

"Huh? R-Really?"

Feyt breathed a sigh of relief. If someone as powerful as Lisenda is protecting him, he might be able to survive. But, he wanted to know something.

"But, wouldn't helping me complicate things? That would mean you'll be staying at the back all the time, right?"

"Who said we're staying at the back? I'm the front-liner, and you're coming with me."

Oh... I'm screwed.

Lisenda stood up, her head nearly reaching the tent's roof. She towers over the sitting Feyt as she spoke.

"If you're tired, get some rest after you request for a sword. The battle will happen when tomorrow noon. Or is it technically today? No matter, it will happen in less than 24 hours."

"W-Wait, shouldn't I be helping the others outside?"

Feyt refers to the people carrying the boxes and helping around for the preparation outside.

"What's a kid like you gonna do? I doubt you'll be able to carry those boxes anyway. Just stay in the tent after you get the sword."

"O-Oh..."

Lisenda walked towards the tent's flaps and opened it with her right hand. She looked back at Feyt as she was about to leave.

"Remember, although I will protect you. If I'm ever ordered to kill you, I won't hesitate."

She left the tent, leaving behind Feyt who can only sit in silence. His hopes of escaping is 0% with Lisenda by his side, so he can't go with the guys back at the carriage with their plan. No, he couldn't even go close to them when they carry out their plan, in fear that Lisenda will notice.

He pushed those thoughts aside and decide to just focus on the current situation.

"Right. I need to ask for a sword."

If I can't run, I just have to do my best.

Feyt stood up and left the tent.

 


Sat in a heavily guarded carriage is the King of Denta, Pilante Als Rudick. The carriage is on the way to the camp set up just before the land that serves as a bridge between Ortensia and Denta through Lake Hinder. This land will serve as the battlefield for the upcoming war, camps from both sides have been set up on opposite ends.

"How long till we get there?" Said Pilante.

"Just a few more minutes, Your Majesty." Replied the coachmen.

"Good."

King Pilante's large muscular figure is barely able to fit his seat. So his bodyguards, 2 in number, and his strategist sat together on the other seat opposite of him.

His first bodyguard is a woman named Lydia, who has just recently joined the Denta force. She has jet black hair, so black one might think a void is sitting on her head if seen from afar. She styles it in a bob cut and she wears red eye makeup to contrast her pure black eyes. The King seems to have placed a huge trust onto her, one that might seem unnatural to others.

His second bodyguard is Tumiro, a man who has devoted his entire life into serving in the knights. And he has just been promoted to be the King's personal body guard. He has long spiky blonde hair with bright green eyes. His colorful appearance is a stark contrast to Lydia.

The strategist was just a scholar with basic knowledge of tactics, but he was chosen by the King due to him being one of his 'Yes-man'. The officers of Denta aren't concerned about this, because even if a genuine experienced strategist joined their battle, the King wouldn't listen to him and just follow his own ways.

Pilante asked the three people in front of him, "So, what do you guys think of our chances of winning?"

"Why, it's 95% at the minimum," said the strategist, "Once the group of soldiers we sent to flank from Lake Hinder attacked the village, we'll win, I'm sure of it."

"I believe so too," Said Lydia, "I have faith that your plan shall succeed, Your Majesty."

Lydia shifted the way she sat, she was seated between Tumiro and the strategist, so her seating space is small.

"Even if it fails somehow, I will call some of my 'friends' to help."

"Haha! That won't be necessary!" laughed Pilante.

"What about you?" Pilante shifted his gaze towards Tumiro.

"M-Me? I-I am not sure," said Tumiro, "I'm not well-versed in strategies, but, I shall support you no matter what happens, Your Majesty!"

Pilante was happy with the response.

"Good, good, I expect the three of you to work hard, got it?"

"Yes, Your Majesty!" the three of them saluted.

The carriage rode on as the sun is about to rise.

 


Sorry if the chapter's a bit short this time, I want to do a bit of a character recap. This is due to me fearing that some characters are forgotten due to the long hiatus I was in. (7 months lol)

I would like to explain a bit about some of the characters, but not all of them. Mainly ones that are important/haven't been mentioned for a while, so I would encourage you to read it if you feel like you've forgotten some of them!

Carine Sareid: A noble girl born as the sole heir of the Sareid Family. Her Talents allows her to see things even the sharpest of eyes can see. Also has an innate ability to draw and paint extremely well. Shares the same soul as Feyt.

Kyrat Sareid: A nobleman proud with his family's famed sword style. The father of Carine Sareid and the husband of Peyna Sareid. His Talents allow him to fight efficiently with his eyes closed. Recently grew extremely worried as someone sent his best student, Feyt, into war.

Peyna Sareid: A noblewoman who married to the Sareid family, she grew proficient at the sword style and joins Kyrat as an instructor, teaching other noble students their sword style. Her Talent, [Blood Drain], allows her to never lose stamina in long battles and also allows her to incapacitate her opponents as long as she gave one open wound onto them. Very protective of Carine and, to some extent, Feyt.

Tenard Sareid: Kyrat's younger brother. He used to teach the Sareid sword style just like Kyrat. But he stopped after facing some backlash and decided to pursue trading as his dream job. He has an extreme dislike to being in debt, whether it's money or favor.

Ranett Sareid: Tenard's one and only daughter. One of her Talents allows her to read lies from others from their eyes, [Truth Seeker]. She also has a high fire magic capabilities, she is to join the Royal Guard once she graduates from the noble academy. Had no friends until she met Carine, speculates that Feyt is Carine's 'Prince Charming'.

Feyt: A commoner born to a family of farmers. His Talents allows him to hear the smallest of whispers in the loudest of shouts. Also has an innate ability to play instruments extremely well. Shares the same soul as Carine.

Fait: A commoner born to a family of farmers. Feyt's doting older sister. She often goes throughout the country to complete errands to earn extra money for her family. Her name might sound similar to Feyt, so, more often than not, when someone calls for one of them, both will respond. Her parents intended her name to be pronounced similar to 'Fa'it', instead of 'Fate'. But poor naming sense has led both Feyt and Fait into this situation.

Tia: A mysterious, self-proclaimed 'adventurer' who wears a mask and wields a pure diamond spear. She has written a few books of her adventures, most of them are considered fiction by many despite being Tia's real life experience. She relies on her Talent [Clairvoyance] to avoid tricky situations or fights, her Artifacts she obtained from her adventures to help her in combat, including, but not limited to: boots that give her the speed of a horse, a mask that widens her field of view, a charm that allows her to jump higher, and many more.

Teffa: Mother of both Fait and Feyt. Loves to get drunk at her friend's bar, who so happens to be owned by Feyt's best friend's mother. She enjoys cooking warm soup, as both of her children never seem to be bored of them.

Fayn: Father of both Fait and Feyt. Very muscular due to his constant physical labor and training. Easily outmatch other people in strength contests. Would love to see Feyt grow as big as him someday.

Ricent: Feyt's best friend while also being his first friend. Very playful and somehow popular with girls. He is, however, very dense. Has a lot of friends from the village, but he would always refer to Feyt as his best friend. Likes to play cards. Recently learned that he has high water magic capabilities, so he is granted permission to attend the noble academy and will join the Royal Guard once he graduates, hoping he would be able to earn money for his mother by being a Royal Guard.

Tinore Mulleid: A nobleman with a deep grudge against the Sareid Family, Kyrat specifically. Suggested to Munith and others that sending drafted villagers to help in a war is a good idea, that the King himself find interest in. He had sent Feyt to war 'accidentally' by bribing a noble in Ortensia. Values beneficial relationships above everything else.

Munith Alstrad: The First Princess of Ortensia, born with silver hair due to her Talents. Her Talents are only known to Rene, her parents and a few high-ranking Ortensian officials. Her Talents allow her to control large white lances, up to 5 in number. She put on a mask of a  soft and wholesome Princess, easily loved by everyone despite her silver hair. Only Julient seems to see through her facade.

Rene Alsaric: Munith's personal bodyguard, chosen based on his Talents. One of his known talents is [Truth Seeker]. Seems androgynous, able to pass as a handsome woman or a feminine man. Known by many Ortensian nobles as "The Arch Tactician.". He hates being called this, because the real Arch Tactician was actually Munith. Has hidden feelings for Munith.

If you have anymore questions about the story/characters so far, please ask them below!

100