Chapter 41: To the Front
2k 15 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I got up from the tent's carpet and stretched, feeling the stiffness in my muscles. I really needed to rest. But I needed to get moving if I wanted to be ready for the battle. As I was about to leave the tent, I heard a name being mentioned in the chatter outside - Captain Lisenda.

They must be referring to the brown-haired knight. Based on my impressions, she seems pretty no-nonsense. I can't escape if she decides to be my 'bodyguard'. Well, more like my captor, to be honest. But I have no other choice but to rely on her.

Anyway, I need to find a sword. I made my way over to the weapons tent and was relieved to find that there were still some swords left. Approaching the knight who was polishing the swords in front of the tent, I asked,

"Hey, can I have a sword?"

"Huh?" He looked up at me. "A sword?--Oh, you're the kid."

"...Yeah."

The knight grabbed one of the polished swords and handed it to me.

"Well, here you go."

It's a basic mass-produced sword, a bit heavy, but nothing I can't handle.

"Thanks."

"Sure..."

The knight turned away from me, avoiding my gaze as he resumed polishing the swords

He seemed oddly unconcerned, as if he was trying to act like this was normal. I couldn't help but feel a little angry. This was anything but normal for me.

I brought the sword with me as I walked back to Lisenda's tent. But I stopped in my tracks just outside the tent as I felt a nagging sensation. I felt like I was forgetting something.

There was something I was supposed to do, but what?

Amidst the clangs of steel being tempered and the shouts of orders, I overheard a conversation between two people a bit far from where I stood. Based on their dialects, they were Ortensian.

"The front-line troops from the southern camp have already been sent to the front camps, right? Are we still preparing?"

"Yeah, but it won't be long. Ten minutes at the most. We're just waiting for the Captain."

"So, we're transferring the drafted soldiers and the bears too, right?"

Drafted soldiers...

Drafted...

Oh.

How could I forget? I wanted to punch myself for not remembering this.

DAD WAS DRAFTED TOO!!

I need to find him, fast!

I threw the sword with its sheath inside the tent and then I ran across the camp, scanning the faces of the soldiers and searching through the tents, calling out for my dad.

"Dad!? Where are you?!"

The people around me, both knights and the drafted, looked at me as I ran past them.

"What the--"

"H--Hey! Slow down--"

I pushed through them all as I frantically looked around.

"Daaad?!"

Come on! He has to be here somewhere!

As I turned a corner, I almost ran into Lisenda. She stood tall and imposing, her armor gleaming in the dim light of the pre-dawn hours.

"What are you doing?" she demanded, her voice sharp.

I panted for breath, my heart racing. "My Dad... I remembered... he was drafted too. I can't find him."

"Your father?" Lisenda raised an eyebrow, her eyes narrowing as she studied me. "What does he look like?"

"Short black hair, blue eyes and muscular, very muscular!" I spread out my arms, emphasizing the size of his muscles.

Lisenda placed a hand on her chin, considering my words as she looked down at me.

"Hmm, muscular... Yeah, I remember him."

"Really?!" My heart leaped with hope.

Lisenda nodded. "Yeah, he was one of the first ones to be sent to this camp. He resisted us when we try to push him into the carriage, but it's nothing I can't handle."

She even defeated dad?!

Lisenda continued, "You were one of the later ones. I believe he's already been sent to the front camps as well."

"What?!" My voice cracked with fear. "What do you mean by that?!"

Lisenda rested her hand on her hips as she explained.

"The first half of the drafted soldiers were sent to the southern camp, while the second half, which includes you, are stationed in the northern camp where we are now. A letter from the southern camp arrived 15 minutes ago, stating that the troops are already headed to the front camp. It's possible that your father is among them."

My heart was racing with worry. "So... the war will start--"

"Don't fret, the war won't start without me. Your father should still be in the front camp," Lisenda assured me.

Relief washed over me.

"Wait, that means I can meet him there?"

Sadly, that feeling didn't last long.

"Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll allow it."

"What? Why?!"

"My goal is to ensure that you stay in the battlefield," Lisenda said, crossing her arms. "And having contact with your father might complicate things. He may try to interfere with my mission and prevent me from making sure you won't escape. That's why I can't allow you to meet him."

She won't let me meet dad... I understand her point, but...

What's up with this order of me being staying in the battlefield anyway?! I'm just a kid! A 13-year old kid!

How did I get into this mess?! Moreover, dad's involved too!

I just want to yell out my frustrations, but I need to keep it civil, at least for now. When the battle starts, Lisenda is probably the only person who can keep me safe.

I felt relieved that dad is still safe, but also disappointed that I couldn't see him. Lisenda's words echoed in my mind. She wanted to keep me to herself, to make sure I stayed in the battlefield. I wondered what her real intentions were. Was she just following orders, or did she have some ulterior motive? From her tone alone, it seems she really is just following orders. I can't know for sure, though.

Lisenda interrupted my thoughts, "Come on, we need to get ready."

"...We're going to the front camp?"

"Yeah."

Lisenda walked past me and headed towards her tent.

I shook my head and followed her. Once inside the tent, she grabbed her bag of supplies and helmet while I retrieved my sword that was thrown on the ground.

"Are you ready?" she asked, as we started walking towards the front camps.

"I guess so," I replied, still feeling a little uneasy. "I mean, I only have my shirt and a sword, not much."

"Only a shirt, huh?" Lisenda looked up, as if she's searching in her mind for something. "I wonder if we still have any?"

"Huh?"

Lisenda headed outside the tent, I followed her closely.

She walked towards a tent that seems to be in charge on supplies.

"Hey, do we still have those leather armors?" she asked the knight in charge.

"Leather armors? Oh, the ones from the hunters? Yeah, we still have a few that haven't been processed yet."

The knight stood up and approached one of the open boxes on the floor, pulling out a minimalist looking leather chest armor.

"Here you go, Captain."

Lisenda grabbed it and handed it to me.

"We don't have any knight armors that will fit you, but these leather armors are adjustable, so these should. It's not much, but it's better than nothing. Wear it."

She pushed the leather armor into my chest. I hesitated for a moment before accepting it.

"T-Thanks."

 

As I put on the armor, the scent of leather filled my nose, and the sound of it clinking against itself echoed in my ears.

I tightened the belt-like part, making sure it fit me perfectly, and took a deep breath, feeling the weight of the armor on my shoulders. It feels surprisingly light.

"Alright then,"

Lisenda continued, "We'll be taking a carriage to get there. It's going to be a long journey, as we're also transporting some animals for the [Animal Tamer] squad."

I nodded, feeling a bit relieved that I wouldn't have to walk the whole way there. I wanted to ask what the 'animals' are, out of curiosity. But to be frank, I don't think I have the energy.

We started walking in silence until we reached the carriage.

"You can rest here if you want," Lisenda said, gesturing to the carriage.

"Thanks," I said, grateful for the offer.

Lisenda climbed into the carriage, and I followed suit. The inside of the carriage was surprisingly spacious, with plush seats and intricate carvings along the walls. I could tell this was no ordinary knight's carriage. The Ortensian emblem was emblazoned on the side of the carriage, and the decorations were far more intricate than any other vehicle I had seen.

I slumped into the seat, feeling the softness and comfort of the cushions. My eyes drifted to Lisenda's bag, which was neatly placed beside her. It seems small yet full at the same time.

I wonder what's inside.

Lisenda caught me staring. "You look like you've never seen a bag before."

I shook my head. "No, I'm just a bit curious about the bag."

"Well, if you must know, it contains some magic scrolls."

"Magic scrolls?"

"Yes, mostly [Ice Spike] and [Fireball] scrolls. I don't want to be caught off guard by long-ranged enemies. I don't have any magic like most people, so this is my only way to deal with mages and archers."

"Haaah~" I yawned, not out of boredom, but sheer tiredness.

Lisenda lets out a small chuckle. "Sleep while you still can, you will need every ounce of energy you can if you want to survive this war and see your father again."

I took her up on her offer and laid back, feeling the soft cushions beneath me. I need time to think things through, and I really need the rest. So I will just continue planning with Carine, she's wide awake after all.

As the carriage started moving, I closed my eyes to rest, feeling the swaying motion of the carriage lull me to sleep.

 

 

 

78