134. Miscalculation
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Utter disbelief splashed across the Little God's face. "Mentor..."

"If you die without a successor, Spirit Empire will be left in shambles."

"Still can't kill what's already dead."

"Then, don't get destroyed!"

What is Hu Liena playing? There's no way the Golden Generation doesn't want me dead, Ru Shenqi thought.

The Three-Tailed Charm Fox withdrew her spirit power, and the Supreme Pontiff of Spirit Empire took a deep breath. She slowly stood and walked over to the balcony with Hu Liena's support. The two women stared out over Liuying Gorge.

"Mentor," Ru Shenqi began, desiring to change the subject. "What was my mom like? I have so few memories of her."

"Elder Ru Zuanshi... was unpredictable. When she put her mind to something, she'd do it no matter what, and no one would be able to persuade her otherwise. I only met her on a few occasions, but I do remember that she was arrogant. At the same time, she had the capability to be. She was also a loner and didn't have many friends in Spirit Empire. I suppose it was her personality that the other Elders couldn't stand. Laoshi tried to reign her in, but she did whatever she wanted usually. As you already know, she worked on the assault against Star Luo's troops for a while back then to keep them from coming to Heaven Dou Empire's aid. But then, Laoshi gave her a different task. Since she was of my generation and already a Limit Douluo, she had an indescribable beauty that was comparable to mine and that rabbit you call Laoshi. Her task was surveillance and infiltration."

"I read about that in the Supreme Pontiff Palace archives. Mom was supposed to get close to Emperor Xue Beng, seduce him, and gain his trust. But with Senior Tang San always around, she never got the chance. But what the archives didn't say was how she ended up with my dad."

Hu Liena sighed. "That, I don't know either. Laoshi got a report from Elder Ru Zuanshi she had found a different target with a much lower chance of arousing suspicion. Since we failed in our original hope, Laoshi decided someone was better than no one. So, she allowed it. It wasn't until much later that we learned it was that One Horned Fire Dragon from the Chi Huo School Elder Ru Zuanshi had approached."

"Am I much like my mom then, do you think?"

"I would say so. You have her freaky innate talent for being a spirit master. You also have her arrogant streak."

Ru Shenqi nodded slowly. "I also betrayed Spirit Empire like her."

"If you dare to do so again, the other Flamens will never let you off."

"And you?"

Hu Liena turned to look at her. "Neither will I."

<><><>

Over in the joint army camp, the Shrek Seven Devils, Shrek Six Tyrants, and the Golden Iron Triangle met with the two Emperors, Marshal Ge Long, and Sea Dragon Douluo. Everyone shuddered upon remembering the Rakshasa God powers.

"Who the hell unleashed the Prison of Rakshasa?" the Star Luo Emperor demanded.

The Golden Iron Triangle and Xue Beng shook their head. Yu Xiaogang sighed, "Xingyun is already the God of Storms. It should be that no one's been chosen as a successor."

"Ge," Xiao Wu murmured ever so softly.

"Although our junior cannot help us any longer, we should not make things any more difficult for her."

Not hearing their conversation, Liu Erlong's hands clenched into fists. "Whoever did it, I'll beat them up!!!"

Flender adjusted his glasses and added, "If it's someone from Spirit Empire, then we're in trouble. If the Golden Generation has someone that can unleash the Rakshasa God powers, then we'll have to rely on Xiao San and Xiao Wu's Coexistence of Two Gods' spirit fusion skill. Xingyun and Yong can help, but they're no match for a First Class God yet."

Just then, a person entered the meeting tent. Her usually pale complexion was more sickly than ghostly, and she used the Supreme Pontiff staff as a crutch. Everyone gaped at her.

"Xiao Shen?"

"Dean Flender, Vice Dean Liu, I'm sorry."

"Eh? Xiao Shen, what for?"

Pain filled the Little God's eyes. "For unleashing the Prison of Rakshasa."

The ones who hadn't known choked; their eyes bugged at the revelation. Yu Xiaogang breathed sadly, "Xiao Shen..."

She shook her head. "Mentor gave me permission to do it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have dared."

"Of course Hu Liena would let you do it!!" Liu Erlong roared. "She wants to destroy the Continent!"

"But she doesn't want the Rakshasa God to come back. The reason why she let me join them as Holy Maiden back then was not only to stop me from helping you all but also to prevent the return of the Rakshasa God."

"Xiao Shen, have you been brainwashed by her?" Gu Xingyun wondered. "Why else would you leave us again?"

In the past, I'd feel hurt by Xingyun's doubt. But now, I can't afford to be.

Suddenly, Ru Shenqi coughed heavily. Leaning even more on the Supreme Pontiff staff, she took a shuddering breath.

"Xiao Shen!" her friends cried.

"Lord Sea God, Head Flamen Ru Shenqi cannot serve you any longer."

She knew that her words sounded harsh, but that Tang San would also understand. And he did. He nodded slowly.

"Go back to Liuying Fortress then."

She tipped her head in thanks before turning to leave. As she started to walk out, a hand curled around her right wrist. She twisted her head to see Ming Yong's pleading look.

"Xiao Shen... don't go back there."

She slowly drew her hand away. "Yong-ge, I'm sorry. I'm the Supreme Pontiff of Spirit Empire. I have a duty to the Golden Generation, the seven Flamens, the Seven Clans, and everyone else. If I don't go back, Mentor will be upset."

If I don't go back, I'll be sentenced to execution.

"Xiao Shen," Liao Suyin murmured. "Do you really care that much about Hu Liena?"

"Thanks to her, I have my tyrannical third spirit skill and gained the Death God Domain. Without her, I might not have survived the Advanced Spirit Master Grand Competition final round or the Sea God's Challenges. Plus, she also told me what my mom was like. It seems I'm quite like her."

Bai Shanxin cut in, "You can't seriously believe what that Three-Tailed Charm Fox says?!"

I don't know what to believe anymore. Hu Liena doesn't want me gone one moment but threatens me the next. I don't know if I'm going to survive this war.

"It doesn't matter what I believe or not. But from this day forth, I, Spirit Empire's Supreme Pontiff Ru Shenqi, cut all ties with Shrek Academy, Heaven Dou and Star Luo Empires, and Haishen Island. Everyone, if we're to meet again, it will be on the battlefield."

Before anyone could stop her, she teleported away.

Sea Dragon Douluo hmphed. "And here we thought Master Ru Shenqi would usher us into an even more prosperous era than Master Bo Saixi. It seems we really judged her wrong."

Tears welled in Xiao Wu's eyes. Tang San sighed. The other Devils knew this was extreme, but if they were to win the war, it was necessary.

<><><>

Ru Shenqi reappeared in Liuying Fortress only to be ambushed. The seven Flamens and heads of the Seven Clans descended around her. Yan and Xie Yue approached, dark looks in their gazes. Hu Liena stood in front of the Pontiff's Throne, eyes narrowed.

"Supreme Pontiff, you dare to return to the joint army camp?"

"So what if I dared?" she challenged.

"We should never have trusted you again," Xiang Yuezu seethed. "What did you tell Tang San?"

Seeing as she was already stuck in this unfavorable situation, the Goddess of Souls weighed her options.

I really miscalculated this time. Hu Liena was just waiting for me to slip up.

After making her decision, she lied, "I told him every movement of our troops and the information of all Titled Douluos. Sect Leader now knows everything and is planning to bring Spirit Empire down soon. Bibi Dong is already dead. Spirit Empire should've ended with her. It's time your tyranny on Douluo Continent ends."

The Second Flamen swiped out with his Weathered Iron Spear. When the flat end of the spearhead crashed into the back of her left knee, she dropped. The Supreme Pontiff staff fell out of her hand. She looked up at the Golden Generation with hatred in her eyes.

Hu Liena descended the dais. In a cold voice, she announced, "Ru Shenqi, you have publicly betrayed Spirit Empire. As such, you will be removed from your position as Supreme Pontiff and sentenced to execution in the Elder Palace."

The Little God bowed her head, not saying anything to defend herself. The news of my impending execution will reach the joint army's ears in a few days. I don't hope for a rescue in time, but worst case scenario, I use the Convergence of Souls divine skill to save myself and then return to the Douluo Divine Realm.

Xie Yue ordered, "Flamens, take the traitor back to Spirit City first. We'll follow you in a few days."

The seven nodded and dragged Ru Shenqi away.

At midnight, the Sixth Flamen sealed her spirit skills and put her in chains before shoving her into a carriage. She sat inside, guarded by five Flamens, while Xiang Yuezu and the Second Flamen sat outside. Under the bright full moon, they took off from Liuying Gorge.

1