Chapter – 19.1: Professor Quirrell and the first Quidditch match
609 4 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter - 19.1

"Hey, bro!" Nicole waved at Alex when she spotted him and Daphne arriving together. At first, she wasn't sure about Daphne, but now she's cool with her. "Why are you showing up just now? The match is about to start."

"Had to grab some breakfast," Alex replied, strolling towards the stands.

"Hey, wait up!" Nicole hurriedly caught up with him. "So spill it, what did you bet on?"

Alex thought about denying it, but Nicole cut him off before he could say anything. "And don't even think about denying it. I know you too well... You never miss a chance to make some cash."

"You'll find out after the match," Alex replied, dodging Nicole's question.

"Come on... I'll tell you mine too," Nicole tried to strike a deal.

"I can easily figure that out," Alex smirked, glancing over at Hermione. Hermione and Daphne were walking together behind the siblings, "Hermione,"

But at that moment, Hermione seemed lost in her thoughts. When she heard Alex, she looked up with a jolt, "Huh...?" Hermione appeared confused.

"What did Nicole bet on?" Alex asked, still walking backward.

"Ummm..." Hermione went quiet for a sec after hearing Alex. Then she looked at Nicole, who was shaking her head like crazy, signaling Hermione to keep her mouth shut.

"It's..." Hermione hesitated, "Well, she bet four hundred galleons." She just couldn't hide things from Alex, especially when it came to Nicole. He had always been so supportive of her, and she didn't want to break his trust. As expected, Alex had a big grin on his face when he heard Hermione spill the beans. On the flip side, Nicole had this seriously ugly expression going on.

"She put two-fifty on Gryffindor winning the match, and the rest on Harry... Harry getting knocked out in just ten minutes," Hermione spilled the beans after her initial hesitation.

Hermione ratted out Nicole.

"Four hundred...?" Daphne was like, totally shocked by the numbers. She couldn't believe someone would go all out to gamble like that. "Are you out of your mind?" Daphne couldn't help asking Nicole.

Nicole straight up ignored Daphne's question and shot an angry glare at Hermione. She never thought her supposed BFF would blab everything to Alex like a parrot, "Why don't you tell him your size while you are at it?"

Hermione blushed hard, looking down, trying to hide her face.

"What if you lose, though?" Daphne couldn't wrap her head around such a crazy bet.

"Nothing..." Nicole started to say, but Alex cut in, "I bet you'll see Nicole outside some church soon." He didn't need to spell it out; Nicole got the message loud and clear.

"You wouldn't really make me do that... You're kidding, right?" Nicole laughed nervously, hoping Alex would back her up. But he just smiled and kept walking ahead.

"You were kidding, right? Please tell me you were!" Nicole rushed after Alex, desperately trying to get him to clarify. "Think about it... What will people say if they find out?"

"Who cares about me? Think about your reputation..." Nicole kept on pointing out the negatives, but Alex turned a deaf ear to her.

"They'll say you're leeching off your little sister's hard work." Nicole tried to make it about Alex.

"I don't care. The sis has been leeching off me for years."

"They'll talk about chivalry."

"Can I eat chivalry?"

"Then what about being all sweet and caring for your sister?"

"I have a sister? I thought I was dealing with a little devil all this time..."

"Ugh!"

"See, the devil just growled..."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Oh, come on, not again," Alex groaned inwardly as someone called out for him. Everyone turned to see the skinny and timid Professor Quirrell smiling in their direction.

As others looked on, Alex felt annoyed inside. He had been encountering this guy almost daily for the past few days. Before, Professor Quirrell didn't even pay him or anyone else much attention, except for Potter. But ever since he fought that troll successfully, Quirrell seemed to find excuses to talk to him. Alex never had a good impression of this Professor. First of all, the guy was a total wimp – teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts didn't make sense for him. Second, he took Snape's spot, which was just messed up. And third, he was way too clingy. Every time they crossed paths, Quirrell would grab onto Alex's arm and blabber on and on with nonsense.

"Headed for the match?" Professor Quirrell walked up to them and asked.

"Yeah, we are," Nicole replied. "You too, Professor?"

"Of course... I l-love Quidditch," Professor Quirrell replied with his usual stammer.

"Which team are you rooting for, Professor? Gryffindor, right?" Nicole kept the conversation going.

"Wh-whatever team w-wins... It's Quidditch that w-wins," Professor Quirrell said. "That's the spirit o-of the game..."

"Ahh, so you're one of those types," Nicole looked disappointed.

"Sorry...?" Professor Quirrell looked confused.

"Never mind," Nicole shook her head. "Did you need something from us?"

"Oh, well... It's not y-you... B-but I was ho-hoping to have a c-conversation with your brother," Professor Quirrell said.

"My brother? What did you want to talk about?" Nicole was being nosy about Alex's business. She wanted to ask but Alex pulled her back.

"Let's talk after the match, Professor," Alex suggested. "It's almost time... We don't wanna miss our first Quidditch game."

"R-right... We'll do it after the match... I'm sure you'll enjoy the game today... It's gonna be a s-s-spectacle," Professor Quirrell said and said his goodbyes.

"He's weird," Nicole commented.

"Shh... He might hear you," Hermione tried to hush Nicole.

"Oh, so now you care about me? What's next? You gonna rat me out to him too?" Nicole was still upset with Hermione's betrayal.

"I didn't..."

"There's definitely something odd about him," Alex mumbled as he watched Professor Quirrell walk away. All three girls heard him say that.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"He is wary of you," A weak yet menacing voice said.

"There is nothing to worry about... I can slowly bring him to serve you... Once he sees your power... The future you promise... He won't be able to resist..."

"Don't let your guard down... Just because he is a child."

"Yes, my lord... I won't disappoint you..."

But there was no reply this time. And everything went silent again.

* * * * *

Check out my collection of stories: https://www.patreon.com/thelonelyguy/collections

17