28 – Dejection
1.4k 16 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"...So that's your plan?", I asked Amelia while sitting on her bed.

She nodded nervously, afraid that I might reject her.

Her plan of testing whether Raun still loved her or not was, to put it bluntly, extremely stupid.

I mean, haven't she read any romance novels? If she did, then she would have known that things like this would always end disastrously. However, this might be a good chance to get the plotline back on track somewhat.

"Don't get me wrong, it's a good plan but... how about asking Arthur out?"

Amelia immediately shook her head. "N- no! I'm not acquainted with him. B- besides...". Her face was drained of colors as if she thought of something horrible. "I- I don't think Marie would l- like it if I asked him out"

"That's true...". Although Marie wasn't so extreme that you would call her a 'yandere', she would definitely try to crush her competitor, especially when it's someone without strength like Amelia.

"How about you think of another plan? I don't think it would go so wel—"

"NO!", she screamed. 

I was baffled. I've never seen Amelia this mad before. Even when she found out that Raun was cheating on her, she only felt depressed, not anger.

"DON'T YOU DARE THINK LOWLY OF MASTER'S PLAN!"

'Master? Was there such a person?'. Amelia never had a master. In fact, she basically self-studied in the church of Life.

'Did the plotline go awry again?'

Seeing that Amelia was very adamant about going through with this plan, I finally gave in. After all, it also irks me to see her going out with anyone other than Raun or Arthur, even if it was just a fake date.

"Fine... When are we doing it?"

"Tomorrow, after class. A- and master will be there to help us too!"

"Alright. But how are you going to get Raun to meet us?"

"T- that's..."

'She didn't think that far huh?'

"Nevermind, I'll figure something out", I said as I walked out of her room using [Alternate dimension].

It took a while but I was standing in from of my room, thinking over what had just happened.

Amelia claimed that her so-called master was going to join us tomorrow, which was a good thing for me. I wanted to confirm his identity. And—

'I'll figure out if he knew about the novel'. After all, a mysterious person interacting with a heroine was very suspicious to me. And if the need arises, I wouldn't hesitate to kill him.

CLANK—!

I accepted Amelia's request, however, I didn't want to let everyone know that I was going on a date with the Saintess of Life, even if it was just fake. As such—

"Wake up."

"...?"

"Can you cast your magic on the grimoire again?", I woke up the sleeping Alicia.

She rubbed her eyes in annoyance, before complying.

Looking at the now-filled grimoire, I nodded in satisfaction. 

"You remember what do to, right?", Alicia said as I tugged her in. The blanket she was covering herself with looked fluffy and warm.

"...Cakes, is it?", I sighed.

Alicia nodded in affirmation.

"I'll get some when I come back"

Alicia's eyes flashed in excitement before she calmed herself down and started to fall asleep again.

'She's still a kid after all', I chuckled, before walking out of the room.
...

March 1st, year 788 of the Imperial calendar

"—and that's why those with the noblest of bloodlines will always triumph over filthy commoners", professor Wade concluded his lecture.

Wade Vermillion, younger brother of Marquess Vermillion, and uncle of Max Vermillion. Just like his nephew, he was haughty, arrogant, and an extreme blood supremacist. 

Luckily for me, Max had already forgotten about me refusing to be his lackey, so he didn't ask his uncle to torment me. Arthur, on the other hand, was not so lucky.

Since a rather interesting event was going to happen today, I pulled out my snacks and waited in anticipation. And, almost immediately, it started.

"Student Arthur Kilvillain, you seems to have something on your mind. Do you mind sharing it with the whole class?"

Arthur looked at Wade in confusion, before pointing his finger to himself. "Me?"

"Of course you! Who else in this room is named 'Arthur'?"

"..."

"Well, what do you want to say?"

Arthur, who was flustered by being suddenly called out, decided to speak his mind. "I don't think your lecture is right. I'm a commoner and I'm confident that I can beat other nobles"

Instantly, the classroom was filled with murmurs. Male nobles were frowning at Arthur's words, while females, regardless of social statuses, were supportive of him, like always.

Although what I knew what he said was absolutely true, it still came off as very arrogant. 

"Hahaha! What a nice joke. A commoner beating a noble? Don't make me laugh!"

"I still think that I'm right. I believe that a noble who only lived in protection and luxury cannot beat a hard-working commoner."

Arthur believed that with enough hard work and determination, anyone can become strong.

Well, he didn't really account for the fact that nobles also had to train rigorously from birth, some even going as far as joining knights in subjugation quests when they were barely 10.

And commoners, who didn't have as much resources and professional training, will more often than not lose pathetically to nobles of the same age.

Regardless of whether what Arthur said made sense or not, commoners of class 1-1 was cheering for him, thinking that the first-ranker was different from what they thought. They had expected him to suck up to the nobles, but he instead took their side. 

Stopping himself from frowning, Wade's eyes brightened up as if he thought of something amazing. "Well, Arthur, if you're so adamant about it, how about we make a bet?"

"A bet?"

"Yes. If you can reach <D> rank before the midterms, I'll admit that I was wrong and formally apologize to you and every commoners in this class"

Frowning, Arthur looked at professor Wade suspiciously. He was about to refuse to take the bet, before a look of surprise appeared on his face as he stared into thin air. "I accept! I hope you don't regret your decision later, professor"

"As if! Some commoners like you can nev—"

Interrupting Wade's speech was an eruption of mana coming from Arthur. The pressure of his mana was suffocating every students in the class.

Even professor Wade had a look of surprise on his face, which is normal, considering what had just happened.

Yes, Arthur Kilvillain, the first-ranker, had reached <D> rank. Nevermind the fact that he was the youngest in history to reach rank <D>, everyone was more surprised that he had broken through to <D> rank as soon as he accepted professor Wade's challenge.

'He's strong!', I cheered inwardly. It meant that Arthur was now officially as strong as he was in the first version of the novel. 'Looks like the troubles I went through wasn't for nothing after all'

Arthur, smirking, provocatively looked at professor Wade. "So professor, I hope you keep up your end of the deal"

Professor Wade's face flushed red, before he stormed out of the classroom.

"I'll prove that you're cheating!", professor Wade shouted in the distance, but everyone was too excited to care.

They flocked towards Arthur as soon as Wade left the classroom, bombarding him with questions.

Satisfied, I walked out of the classroom and began preparing for my 'date'.
...

Stepping foot in the Southern district of the Imperial capital, I couldn't help but to stare at everything in awe. Although I had been here before, the liveliness of the place still surprised me.

People roaming everywhere, fancy restaurants, scattered food stalls, and even massive stores. This was truly the economical center of the Imperial capital.

Observing the street for a while, I made vow for myself to take Lyra here sometimes. I knew how cramped she must have felt staying in my dorm room, so it was the least I could do for her.

I was wandering near the fountain in front of the adventurer guild, before catching a glimpse of a familiar figure. 

Long brown hair tied into a braid that was resting on her left shoulder, jade-colored eyes and facial features so attractive that she could have been mistaken for a succubus if not for her innocent aura. It was Amelia Helot, the girl who I was supposedly having a 'date' with today. She wore a dress whose arms and shoulders were black, and its bottom had a brownish-golden color.

Men around her stared at her in amazement, and I was no different. However, I soon woke up from my stupor and approached her.

"Hey Amelia!", I tapped her shoulders.

"W- Who are you!", she looked at me warily.

I was confused. Did she forget about me? 

I pulled out my holographic phone and looked at my reflection. Ash gray hair and orangish-red eyes, I looked just like the male version of Lyra.

That's when I remembered that I was using illusion magic. "Oh, it's me, Theodore"

Amelia let down her caution a little bit, but still looked at me in suspicion. "Y- you don't look like him"

I let out a long sigh. "Haaah, check your holographic phone"

I pulled out my phone as I said that and sent her a message.

Confirming that I was indeed me, Amelia looked at me confusedly. "H- how come you look like this?"

"Um let's just say I have a friend who is an Illusionist". It was technically the truth, although she was more of a daughter than a friend.

Amelia accepted my answer. "O- okay. But why do you have to disguise yourself?" 

"I don't want too much trouble... And can you not call me Theodore when I look like this?"

"H- huh? What do you want to be called then?"

I thought for a second before answering. "Lyran, Lyran Myrsky"

"O- okay"

We then sat on the edge of the fountain in awkward silence, ignoring the stares many people were giving us.

"Uh, so what are we waiting for?", I broke the silence.

"My master isn't here yet, so we can't go!", she firmly said.

"What do you mean, I'm right here", a voice rang out from behind us.

Startled, Amelia quickly glanced behind her, before jumping up and running towards the person. "Master!"

I gazed at her master curiously, wanting to find out what kind of person he was. But-

"Ria?"

"Hm, do I know you?", Ria, Amelia's 'master', asked in confusion.

"Everyone knows about you, oh mighty daughter of duke Freywright Pyrian"

Ria eyed me before nodding in satisfaction. "Mhm, you chose a good man to execute the plan with. What's his name?"

"He's Theo— I mean um... Ly... Lyc..."

Seeing that Amelia was struggling to remember my alias, I decided to intervene. "My name is Lyran Myrsky, my lady. I'm but a humble knight of the church of Life tasked with protecting lady Amelia"

I lied. There was no way those other Saints and Saintesses at the church of Life would spare any knights to protect Amelia. After all, the competition for the position of the Pope of Life was very intense. But, Ria seemed to have bought my lie.

"I see. I suppose you know about the plan?"

"Yes, my lady. I am to pretend to be 'dating' lady Amelia to make sir Raun jealous"

"I trust that you have already found a way for Raun to witness your date, Amelia?"

"Y- yes", Amelia glanced at me for confirmation before answering.

"Lady Ria, do you mind if I asked a question?", I bowed respectfully,

"Hm? Spill it"

"Do you know anything about the Hero of Light going to Avaron?"

I eyed Ria closely for her reaction. Not even a light twitch of her brows could escape my sight.

However, Ria's expression remained the same. "Hero of Light? I heard there was a rumor that he is also going to Avaron. Why did you ask?"

"Nothing, my lady. Just pointless curiosity"

"Do you have any more questions?"

"No, my lady"

"Good, then let's go!", Ria shouted in enthusiasm, making everyone stare at us. 

"Where are we going, master?", Amelia's eyes sparkled in anticipation. 

"Hm? You're on a date. Of course you're going to a café", Ria said as she picked up the pace.

Pulling out my holographic phone and messaging Raun, I hurriedly follow them.
***

===

Brother-in-law: Hey

Brother-in-law: Go to Eferent café in southern district

Brother-in-law: I'll send you the location

Brother-in-law: be there quick

Brother-in-law: I need to discuss somehting 

===

Raun furrowed his brows as he checked his notification. Theodore had never texted him first, so it must mean that he had something very important to tell.

Although his crotch was still hurting from yesterday, he decided to go and meet up with Theodore. Putting on a cap, Raun went through a transfer gate and into the southern district of the capital.

Following the directions on his phone, Raun soon entered the café. Instantly, the aroma of high-quality coffee and deserts stimulated his appetite. 

Scanning the café for Theodore, Raun was absolutely terrified by what he found.

Instead of Theodore, he spotted Amelia. She was sitting at a table, enjoying her drinks. But she wasn't alone.

A man who looked Raun's age, but much more handsome than him, was drinking at the same table as Amelia. They laughed and chatted happily with each other. Amelia even fed the man her desert at one point.

Although, Raun was too shaken to notice the stiff smile Amelia had. 

Waking him up from his stupor, was his holographic phone vibrating. He quickly checked the messages.

===

Brother-in-law: nvm it's nothing important

Brother-in-law: I'll just tell you tomrorow

===

'What perfect timing', Raun thought. With whatever business Theodore had with him out of the way, he could focus entirely on stalking watching out for Amelia's safety.

Thus, he sat in a table near Amelia's, ordered a glass of orange juice, and observed them, very closely.
***

'He's here', I sipped my coffee as I saw Raun entering the coffee.

Amelia seemed to have noticed Raun too as she had that determined look in her eyes. Thus, commenced the plan.

We had our drinks and chatted enthusiastically. Amelia even spoon-fed me her cake. I thought everything was going well, until—

mmmmm—!

Mine and Amelia's phone vibrated simultaneously. We both checked our group chat with Ria.

===

Ria: Oi

Ria: What's with that fake smile Amelia

Amelia: Sorry master! :(

Ria: Iget it. Stop texting and get back to acting

===

We continued to fake having fun. Amelia was really uncomfortable and she tried to not show it on her face. But she failed to keep her expression in check. 

Luckily, Raun decided to sit at a table behind Amelia, so he couldn't see her expressions.
...

It had been 45 minutes since Raun started stalking us, and there was still no movements.

Seemingly tired of there being no progress, Ria, who was watching us from god knows where, messaged us.

===

Ria: He's not moving

Ria: Do something differnt

Me: What should we do?

Ria: Idk, kiss or something

===

Amelia had a surprised look on her face, before she stared at me.

"I- if master says so", she muttered in a small voice.

Wanting this to end as soon as possible, I stood up and got close to Amelia. 

"Don't worry, we aren't going to actually do it", I whispered as I pulled out the grimoire.

"This will make it look like we're kissing"

Amelia regained her composure and nodded her head.

I placed my hands on the grimoire and channel my mana into it as discreetly as possible.

The grimoire glowed for a second, and I could feel it containing less mana than before. That meant the spell was working.

I sat down besides Amelia, both of us staring at Raun, gauging for his reaction. 

Amelia fully expected Raun to lash out at that moment and take her back. However,

"Waiter, I'd like to pay for my drink", Raun said in a dejected tone.

After leaving 12 Silvers behind, Raun dashed out of the café without looking back.

"..."

I stared at the departing figure of Raun in silence, while Amelia was bawling her eyes out.

"Hic... I knew it... he doesn't love me"

I wanted to point out that Raun was most likely just thought that she was happy with someone else, and thus he didn't want to disrupt her new-found relationship. However—

'This could be a good chance', I thought. I could use this to hitch Amelia with Arthur.

When I looked back at Amelia, she was already sobbing in Ria's embrace. Apparently Ria had just entered the café, and I was just too occupied with my thought to notice.

"Hic.. master... h- he..."

"Shhh, I know, just let it all out. Don't worry, it's not like all the men in this world are dead", Ria patted Amelia's back as she consoled her.

Sighing, I left Amelia for Ria to care for and returned to my dorm room.

'What a shitty drama this is'
...

"Lyra", I called the Celestial over as soon as I entered my room.

|Yes?|

"Can you spy on someone for me?"

|What's with this all of the sudden?|, Lyra gave me a confused look.

"It's nothing, there's just something I just want to confirm"

|...Alright then, but you'd better made at least one person worship God Vihar when I return|

"Sure. You'll be observing Ria Pyrian for the time being. Report back to me if she does something suspicious or mention anything about a novel of some sort"

|Huh? Why do you want to know about a novel?|

"Just do it"

|...Fine|

Watching Lyra fly away, I heaved a sigh.

When I asked Ria that question, I wanted to see if she indeed knew about the novel, or at least was aware that Arthur was the Hero. But, her answer seemed genuine. Too genuine, even. I had no idea whether she was acting or not.

As such, I had Lyra spy on her for me. I could never be careful when it comes to problems like other transmigrators beside Marcos after all.

Stretching my arms, I was about to call it a day and go to sleep when—

"Where's my cake?", a voice came from behind me.

I turned my gaze behind my back, only to see Alicia with a dejected look on her face.

"I... forgot"

"..."

Alicia stared at me in disappointment and pouted.

"D- don't worry, I'll buy some and get back right away!"

Thus, the day ended with me running around the capital, finding any bakeries that were still open.

47