61 – The rain clears [3]
1.1k 16 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I haven't been able to edit this chapter much so it might be of lower quality. Sorry for the frustration it might cause

Spurt—!

Having heard the unmistakable sound of blood spilling onto the floor, Sylvia suddenly jumped up.

Before even checking if she was the one bleeding, she rushed towards Theodore with worries apparent in her eyes.

"I'm sorry... Syl..."

Although she was embarrassed by Theodore muttering her name out loud so intimately when he was sleeping, she still persisted through it. After all—

'I- I have to make sure he's okay'

—Theodore's safety comes first.

Standing right in front of him, Sylvia checked for any wounds.

She sighed in relief as she realized that the sound of blood spurting was just Theodore clenching his hands so hard that they started to bleed.

<[Water serpent]>

As soon as the chant left her mouth, two serpents made of pure water coiled around Theodore's hands, healing them.

It was then that Sylvia was convinced that Theodore was okay, and she was about to come back to her bed to do her... activities. However—

"Syl... I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

—Theodore kept apologizing to her despite not having done anything particularly bad to her.

Hearing this, she turned back to observe Theodore more. 

He was tossing and turning around in the couch, with his face as white as sheet and his body filled with sweat.

'Is he... having a nightmare?'

That was undoubtedly the case.

Sylvia was worried, even more so than when she first heart the spurting sound. She knew all too well how... terrifying nightmares could be. After all, she was plagued with them for years after her mother's death. 

Even now, she still sometimes experiences them.

The situation was even more severe now that Sylvia knew that she herself appeared in Theodore's nightmares, considering how he was muttering her name with... fear and... guilt apparently in his voice.

'W- What am I like in his nightmares?'

Although she was curious, she quickly shook such thoughts off her mind. After all, she needed to do something to get rid of his nightmares.

'What did mom and aunt Lica do when I had nightmares.... Ah!'

—Pat —Pat

"There there", Sylvia spoke with a voice as soft as possible. "Everything will be alright"

She wasn't embarrassed while she was doing this like she would normally, as she was determined to ease Theodore's mind.

After a few minutes of doing this, Theodore's face softened, and he had stopped sweating or muttering as much.

Despite having achieved her goals, however, Sylvia kept patting his head while looking at him absentmindedly.

'Soft...'

That was what Sylvia felt as she caressed Theodore's hair.

As she was feeling Theodore's soft hair and looking at him with dreamy eyes, however, something was slowly clicking in her head.

'A- Ah!'

She was close, really close to figuring out what the weird emotion that plagued her was.

'Come on! Think, Estellare, think! Just a bit more'

Just as she was about to figuring out what it was, however—

"Enjoying yourself, little lizard?"

—Semier suddenly appeared out of nowhere and whispered in her ears.

"Ah!"

Having been snapped out of her trance, Sylvia slowly turned towards Semier with a pout.

"Master Semier! Why do you have to ruin my moment!?"

"Huh?", he raised his eyebrows in confusion. "Your moment? I've been in here for 10 minutes looking at you staring at him very creepily and you didn't even notice me"

Still pouting, Sylvia turned back towards Theodore. "N- Nevermind about that! Just keep silent and don't interrupt me!"

She then continued to pat Theodore's head while being immersed into thoughts. However, even after 20 more minutes of doing so, she still couldn't figure out what the emotion was.

'I was so close!'

Frustrated, she turned to Semier again and punched him in the guts.

"Ouch! What was that for?"

'This is for interrupting my enlightenment!'

However, she decided that it wasn't worth voicing her frustration out.

As such, she ignored his question and asked while still glaring at him. "Why are you here? Didn't you want me to stay in this room alone with him so badly?"

Scratching the back of his head, Semier sighed. "Sorry about that.... but I'm here to wake Theodris up. Some problems occurred when I was making his scabbard"

Hearing this, Sylvia turned towards Theodore again and lightly nudged him. "Theodore, wake up"

But after a few minutes of doing so, it was apparent that Theodore wouldn't wake up anytime soon.

Sighing, she turned around, only to catch Semier lightly smiling at the scene.

"What are you smiling for?", she pouted.

Shaking his head with a bitter smile, Semier refused to elaborate and instead moved towards Theodore and whispered in his ears while having a grin on his face.

"Wake up, Theodris. Your knight in shinning armor, Arthur Sparevillain, is here!"

Suddenly, Theodore's eyes shot open. With ragged breaths, he jumped up on his feet, and covered his body defensively.

"S- Stay away from me!"

Seeing this, Semier burst into laughter.

"HAHAHAHAHHA! PFFFFFT!"

Sylvia, however, just looked at the scene confusedly.

Realizing what he had just done, Theodore coughed in embarrassment and tried to change to topic.

"Keum! W- What are you here for, Grandmaster Semier? Has it been 5 hours already?"

After calming down his laughter, Semier replied. "No. It has only been 2 hours, but... there's a problem"

'2- 2 hours!?', Sylvia was extremely surprised.

After all, it meant that she had been patting Theodore's head for 2 hours straight without even taking her eyes off him.

Just thinking about this made her cheeks flush red in embarrassment.

"Huh?", Theodore suddenly looked at her. "Why is your face red?"

Hearing this, her cheeks got even redder, and she buried her face in her hands with a muffled squeal.

"MPHHHHHHHH!"

Looking at her weirdly, Theodore eventually sighed and turned his attention back to Semier, who was watching their interaction with an amused face.

"Anyways, what kind of problem is it?"

Still chuckling, Semier gestured for them to follow him.
...

After exiting the room, Theodore looked around the smithy.

The guns he had asked Semier to make was already finished, and are lying on a table nearby.

And, right next to the forge, was a hot piece of metal Theodore identified as semi-melted Mythasium.

Seeing this, Theodore looked at Semier in confusion. "Everything looks fine... what seems to be the problem?"

Sighing, Semier spoke. "Yes everything's fine... but when making the scabbard, I realized something"

"A- And what is it?", Theodore gulped a mouthful of saliva in nervousness. 

After all, this was the only mass of Mythasium he had. So if there was something wrong with the metal, he could only swallow his bitterness and kiss goodbye to having his dream scabbard made.

Semier then continued. "You never specified what properties you wanted your scabbard to have"

"Oh", Theodore sighed in relief. "It's just that?"

"Yes. Now tell me, what do you want your scabbard like?"

Thinking for a bit, Theodore answered.  "It must be able to store Spatial attribute mana, block mana detection from the outside, while simultaneously doesn't interfere with Mana concentration. Oh, and it must be very durable, but I guess it isn't a problem considering the main materials I provided you with"

"That's doable...", Semier replied after a minute of thinking. "But there's still a problem"

"..."

"The red ore you gave me, it's extremely resistant to mana. So if you want it to do everything you said before, we will need to find extremely mana-conductive materials"

"Won't Mithril suffice?", Theodore asked.

"No", Semier shook his head. "Mithril is extremely brittle. And although its alloys are more durable, they won't be conductive enough to use in your scabbard"

"What about Yzerite?"

"No! Are you even listening to me? It's not even half as conductive as Mithril"

"How about..."

This back and forth continued for a few more minutes, before Theodore and Semier sighed in defeat.

After all, no metals known the the Empire could fulfill Semier's requirements.

However, what both of them didn't notice was that Sylvia was watching them from the start.

As soon as she heard about the requirement of a mana-conductive and durable material, she already had an idea of what would fit the description.

However, she quickly shook such thoughts off her mind.

'N- No! If I suggest it, Theo will think that I'm a weirdo!'

But, upon seeing Theodore's face, which was full of despair, she steeled her resolve and decided to do it.

'G- Get yourself together, Estellare! It doesn't matter what Theo thinks of me. What matters is that he leaves this smithy satisfied!'

And with that thought, she reinforced her hands with mana and brought her tail close to her face.

Gritting her teeth and bracing herself for the pain, Sylvia pressed her fingers down.

CRA— CRACK—!

A violent cracking sound could be heard in the smithy.

Startled, both Theodore and Semier turned towards the source of the sound, only to see—

"LITTLE LIZARD! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

"S- Sylvia?"

—Sylvia, who was trying to rip the scales off her tail.

Before they could do anything, however, she had already managed to remove 2 of her scales.

CRACK—!

All three of them stared at each other without saying anything. After a few seconds, the silence was broken by Theodore.

"S- Sylvia, why did you..."

Sylvia, still having a small tear in the corner of her eyes due to the earlier pain, slowly walked towards him with a smile.

Though, her smile was a little forced, as she was still experiencing the pain of having her scales ripped out.

"These scales are both mana-conductive and durable at the same time. You should know that since you've personally seen how easily my tail... deflected your Lightning attacks"

Still looking at the scales with a complicated gaze, Theodore stuttered. "B- But why would you? Didn't it... hurt?"

In response, Sylvia spoke with a straight face. "I'm just merely carrying out my end of the deal to the best of my capabilities"

However, she couldn't help but to voice out her next words with a slightly shaky voice. "S- So don't you think that I'm a w- weirdo, okay?"

"But—"

"No buts", Sylvia interrupted him. "I've already ripped them off, so it would be a waste if you don't use them. Besides—"

She then spoke in a nonchalant tone, as if nothing was wrong with the current situation. "They'll grow back in a month anyways"

However, her attempt at playing down the severity of her action utterly failed, as Theodore was still looking at the scales and her with uneasiness and... guilt.

Sensing the weird atmosphere, Semier spoke up. "It's just like the little lizard said!"

He then took the scales from Theodore's hands. "What is done is done. So we'd better make the best of it"

Thinking for a while, he handed one of the scales back to Theodore. "Your scabbard only need one, so keep the other"

Receiving the scale back, Theodore stared at it without saying a word, seemingly lost in his thoughts.

Though, looking in his eyes, Sylvia could tell that extreme guilt was coursing through his body.

As such, she moved even closer to Theodore and spoke. "You don't need to feel guilty. I did it because I wanted to. In fact, after those scales regrow, they will even be more shiny than before!"

Turning to look at Sylvia with a shaken gaze, Theodore stuttered. "I- It's not that..."

"Huh?", Sylvia titled her head in confusion. "Then what?"

In response, Theodore merely shook his head and plopped down on a nearby chair.

He then closed his eyes shut while still clutching the scale in his hand. It was obvious that he didn't want to speak to anyone at the moment.

Although she found his actions weird, Sylvia didn't pay much attention to it.

'I'm not one to judge anyways...'

Pausing her thoughts there, she similarly sat down a chair a little bit away from where Theodore was.

Clank—! Clank—! Clank—!...

Listening to the rhythmic clanking of her grandfather's hammer hitting against her scale and the red metal, Sylvia closed her eyes and fell into deep thoughts, trying to find out what could have made Theodore feel that guilty towards her.

Of course, hard as she might have tried, she still couldn't figure out what it was that was bothering Theodore so much.
...

"Anddddddd it's finished!"

Upon hearing thoes words, both Sylvia and Theodore jumped up from their respective chairs and looked at the scabbard Semier was holding with intrigue.

The scabbard was red, with 5 small light-blue streaks running along the entirety its length.

Its surface wasn't smooth like most scabbard was. Instead, it was akin to the shiny and crystalline surface of a crystal or a gem.

Theodore's eyes sparkled at this sight, and Sylvia's too. After all, they had never seen anything as well crafted as this.

Puffing his chest in pride, Semier suddenly threw the scabbard towards Theodore, who caught it and held it in his hand like it was the most precious thing in the world.

Still smirking, Semier spoke. "Want to see something cool?"

Not waiting for anyone to answer, he took out a spear from a rack behind him and threw it at Theodore.

"Try to put it in the scabbard"

"But it won't fit!"

Theodore's concerns were valid, as the scabbard was very obvious made for swords.

Snorting, Semier urged him. "Just do it"

Sighing, Theodore complied.

As soon as the tip of the spear entered the scabbard, however, something strange happened.

"Huh?"

The scabbard suddenly transformed into a... spear strap. 

Seeing Sylvia and Theodore's bewildered face, Semier chuckled. "Pretty neat, huh?"

"I- I don't know what to say", Theodore chuckled. "This is beyond my wildest imagination! Thank you, grandmaster Semier!"

"No need to thank me. It's just part of your deal with the little lizard anyways"

Despite hearing this, however, Theodore still bowed in gratefulness.

He then turned towards Sylvia with a serious expression. "It's time I finish my end of the deal"

Before Sylvia could voice out her surprise, Theodore extended his hand out and tore the space open into a rift.

<[Alternate storage]>

He then reached into the rift and took out a pair of contact lens, ones that perfectly fitted her eyes.

"These contact lenses will help you suppress your Eyes"

"R- Really?", Sylvia stuttered as she stared at the lenses as if they were the most precious thing in the world.

Before Theodore could answer her question, however, Semier suddenly interjected. "Oh! Are those made of transparent Sverite? I thought they have already been mined to exhaustion?"

"Huh?", Theodore looked at Semier with surprise. "How did you—"

"Don't underestimate a grandmaster blacksmith that has lived as long as I did, brat"

"...I should have guessed", Theodore muttered.

Although Sylvia could hear their conversation, she didn't pay much mind to it. After all, she was about to put on the things that would blow away her biggest problem.

Just as she was about to put on the lenses, however, she felt an arm slung around her neck.

It was Semier, and his other arm was similarly slung around Theodore's neck.

"Leave testing the scabbard and the lenses for later! It's time for celebration, you brats"
...

Having settled down on a table in the tavern adjacent to the smithy, Semier ordered them some food.

And, after a while, their food had arrived.

"Come on", Semier slapped Theodore's back. "Have a drink with me"

Looking at the alcohol while recalling a certain very embarrassing memory, Theodore refused. "Sorry... I'm not good with alcohol"

"I'm not forcing you or anything but just saying, you're missing out on something great. Isn't that right, little lizard?", Semier snorted as he poured alcohol in Sylvia's mug instead.

As they were about to start drinking, however, Theodore suddenly asked. "S- Sylvia, do you know what's the date today?"

"Hm? It's the 15th, why?"

Instead of answering her question, Theodore's eyes turned sad. He looked down at the scale he was still clutching in his hand with the same gaze before falling into thoughts.

After a while, he turned his head up to look at Sylvia.

Seeing that Theodore was looking at her with a gaze as if he wanted to say something, Sylvia hurriedly spoke. "U- Um Theodore, what do you want to say?"

"S- Sylvia, you have to r—"

SLAP—!

"...nevermind"

Instead of finishing his sentence, Theodore suddenly slapped himself and sighed.

Before Sylvia could question his weird actions, however, Theodore snatched the mug from her hand and gulped down all of the alcohol in one go.

"Pwah...! Ano-ther o-ne!"

That meager amount of alcohol very obviously did a number on him.

Amused, Sylvia ignored his weird actions earlier, and poured him another mug full of alcohol, all the while having a mischievous glint in her eyes.

And then she poured another.

And another,

And another...
...

Three figures were in a shabby tavern, sitting together at a table.

One had his face flushed red because he was drunk.

The other had her face flushed red not because she was drunk, but because she was staring at the drunk boy while muttering 'cute' over and over again under her breath.

The other figure, who had white feathery wings, just looked at the two part-dragon's interaction with an amused smile.

"Pfffft! I had no idea Krista was like that! So what happened next?", Sylvia laughed like she did so many time before during their little celebration.

There was no doubt that she was really enjoying her time right now.

'The drunk Theodore is too c- cute!', she thought.

Unaware of her thoughts, Theodore continued. "An-d t-he-n sh-we k—"

THUD—!

Before he could finish his story, however, he suddenly plopped his head to the table and fell unconscious.

Seeing this, Sylvia chuckled.

Just as she was about to have another drink, however, her phone suddenly vibrated.

mmmmmmmmmmm—!

Frowning, Sylvia checked her phone.

"Oh...", she lets out a disappointed voice.

She then turned towards Semier. "Sorry master Semier, I have to go back now or else my guards will start to look for me"

"Nah, it's fine, today was more fun than I have expected it to be"

Sylvia chuckled.

She then turned towards the sleeping Theodore with a worried gaze.

Seeing this, Semier hurriedly spoke up. "Don't worry, little lizard. I'll take care of him, so just go back to Avaron"

Hearing this, Sylvia bowed. "Thanks, grandpa!"

She then turned around and dashed out of the tavern.

Semier was frozen in his seat for a good second before breaking into a chuckle. "Heh... you called me 'grandpa' twice in the same week. That's a new record..."
...

Plit—! Plat—!...

It was still raining when Sylvia got out of the tavern.

Although she could use her Water magic to stop the raindrop from pouring down on her, she decided not to.

After all, she wanted to savor the moment when she finally overcame the curse that was her Eyes. And she really couldn't do so if she spent most of her mental power on stopping the rain.

Shuffle—!

Taking the lenses out of her pockets, Sylvia's hands trembled as she slowly brought them closer to her face.

Staring at them for a few second, she lets out a long exhale. "Haaaaaaaah... Let's do this!"

Plop—!

With a plopping sound, the contact lenses were fitted neatly on her eyes.

Sylvia then closed off all of her senses in concentration, trying her hardest to concentrate her mana and aether in her Eyes.

However—

"I- I can't...? N- Neither m- mana nor aether w- works...?"

—She couldn't do so, no matter how hard she tried.

After confirming that she really couldn't do it for a dozen more times, her lips curled up into a wide smile.

"Hehe..."

"Hehehe..."

"Hehahahaha..."

"HEHAHAHAHAHA!"

"HEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! F- FINALLY! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!"

She laughed on the streets like a madwoman. If it wasn't for the rain drowning out the sound of her laughter, there was no doubt that she would have had the city guards called on her.

After a few more minutes of continuously laughing, she calmed down, and looked back to the direction of the tavern with a grateful face.

"Thank you, T- Theo..."

Her lavender-blue eyes then glistened, and tears of joy slowed rolled down her cheeks.

Those tears couldn't have been mistaken for rainwater, however, as coincidently, the rain that had plagued the Capital for the better part of a month now had just ceased.

Sylvia watched as the dark clouds slowly cleared away, revealing the dusk's sky, which was dyed with a deep shade of orange.

"How... beautiful..."

Although she had seen the sunset countless times in her life, this was the first time she had done so through Eyes that were freed from the curse of Emotions.

As such, this was infinitely more beautiful than any other dusks she have observed.

'Well... it would be more beautiful if Theo was here with me', she chuckled

She then lets out a smile, one that was much calmer than the one she had just minutes before, and one that was full of determination.

"Now that I'm freed from this curse, I can finally devote my everything to being a good friend to Theo—"

"Sylvia Ecertold! Today you shall pay for the sins you have committed against our Goddess Melissia!"

Before Sylvia could turn around to confront the source of the sound, however, her legs suddenly lost all of their power, and—

THUD—!

—She fell to the ground face-first.

Although her face was planted firmly on the ground, she was still able to catch a glimpse of a familiar insignia, one that depicted a snake coiling around a white Scythe.

"T- The Serpente knight order...?"

Those were Sylvia's last words before she felt a sharp pain on the back of her head, and her vision darkened.

BAM—!

37