64 – Snakes and Stars [3]
1.1k 8 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Regression.

It is the term used to address the trope in which the main character wakes up in their past body after dying or failing in whatever task they set out to do, effectively giving them a second chance.

Such a thing happening to anyone was simply impossible in real life. After all, there was a reason why it was mostly used by novelists, not professionals like archmages or scientists.

However, Sylvia knew that such a term was what would best describe her current situation.

Instead of being on the torture table, her consciousness was transported into her younger self.

Although all of this could have been Keith casting very powerful illusion magic on her, Sylvia didn't care. After all—

"M- Mom!"

—The one she missed the most was right in front of her.

Sylvia then dashed towards her mother, Melissia, and embraced her tightly, as if she didn't want to let go of her ever again.

"M- Mom... I miss you!"

She buried her face into her mother chest, sobbing and crying like there was no tomorrow.

After a while, Sylvia's emotions calmed down, and she turned her gaze up to face the figure who she had been holding onto.

Golden hair with blue eyes much like hers, and white feathery wings that protruded out of her back. Her mother looked just like how she remembered her to be.

"Have you calmed down, little Syl?", Melissia spoke with a familiar gentle voice, snapping Sylvia out of her thoughts.

Staring at her for a few seconds, Sylvia lets out a bright smile and then embraced her tightly again.

"I'm okay now, mom"

Perhaps it was because she used too much of her mental power to endure the torture earlier, or maybe it was due to her consciousness suddenly being transported in a younger body. Or perhaps it was a mix of both.

Whatever the case was, Sylvia felt tired, awfully so.

And thus, she slowly drifted asleep in the embrace of her mother, feeling the warmth that she missed so much.
...

Sylvia was sitting in a carriage with her mother, deep in her own thoughts.

'So I really regressed, huh? To my 10th birthday at that...'

Even now, she still couldn't believe that such a thing happened to her.

At first, she thought that this was just an extremely potent illusion Keith conjured up to torture her.

However, during the last 3 months, she had asked her mother several personal questions that even her father didn't know, let alone Keith.

'Well... I'm not supposed to know that he's my father... not now...'

However, that was not important, as her mother had correctly answered each and every of her questions, effectively confirming that Sylvia had indeed regressed.

As such, she spent the last few months enjoying her time with her mother. Well, she wasn't exactly doing just that either, as she made preparations to prevent her mother's death, which was... today.

She didn't actually need to prepare much to prevent her death. Thus, she mostly spent time playing with her mother in the last 3 months.

Pausing her thoughts there, Sylvia looked at the white snake that was coiling around her right hand. Its name was Leil, and it was her childhood pet.

'Now that I think about it, it doesn't sound right to give a 10 years old kid a snake as a pet'

However, she soon decided to not think about it, as giving her a pet snake was the least weirdest thing her mother had done. 

"Are you enjoying yourself, young miss Sylvia?"

Sylvia's gaze turned from the snake to outside the carriage's window to face the source of the voice, Keith.

She felt... complicated when looking at him. After all, the warm smile he was giving right now was vastly different to the crazed smile he had while he was torturing her.

'... But I guess he had always been crazy'

After all, Keith was the one who always took Sylvia, who was as young as 6 at the time, to the torture chambers for her to... observe the other Serpente knights extract information from criminals.

Despite being punished many times by her mother, Keith could always find another way to secretly sneak Sylvia in.

'This is the things you'll have to do one day', he used to say. 'You're the one that will succeed our goddess Melissia!'

In retrospect, she should have told her mother about all of this. However, she was too young at the time. Thus, she thought that torturing people like the Serpente knights did was normal.

"Young miss, are you alright?", Keith's concerned voice suddenly snapped Sylvia out of her thoughts.

"I'm fine, thanks for worrying about me", she said in a polite tone.

Keith smile warmly at her response. "I'm glad you're fine. You'll have to be healthy to succeed our Goddes—"

GULP—!

He gulped a mouthful of saliva when he felt Melissia's glare. "I- I mean our captain's daughter have to be in good health to protect the Empire in the future!"

"Oh look, Nick's calling me. Guess I have to go now!", he continued.

He then hurriedly rushed to the back of the escorts.

Sylvia inwardly shook her head at this and looked at Leil again.

'If you weren't the reason why mom died, Leil...', she thought as she petted the snake. '...You would have been much cuter'

Pausing her thoughts there, she then moved towards her mother for a hug.

"You're really clingy lately", Melissia said as she planted a kiss on Sylvia's cheeks. "I thought my little Syl is too grown up to pay attention to her old and wrinkly mother like this"

Looking at the Angel who was the exact opposite of what she had just claimed herself to be, Sylvia smiled and hugged her tight.

"Nuh uh, even if you become old and ugly like grandpa Semier, I will always protect you!"

"You're lucky your grandpa isn't here...", Melissia chuckled as she pinched Sylvia's cheeks. "...But I guess I'll have to count on you to keep me safe, my little knight in shinning armor"

"Don't worry mom, I will"
...

Eventually, their carriage arrived at Gerodd city, where the coming-of-age ceremony would be held.

"Little Syl, we have to walk from here"

'Warm...', Sylvia thought as she held her mother's hand.

Although she had been experiencing her mother's warmth for the past 3 months now, she never grew tired of it. As such, Sylvia was still savoring the sensation that she missed so much even when they arrived before the Altar.

Flick—!

"Ow!", Sylvia lets out a yelp of pain as her mother lightly flicked her forehead.

"We're here, Syl", Melissia chuckled.

Hearing this, she finally woke up from her thoughts and looked around the venue where the coming-of-age ceremony was held.

Since the Ecertold dukedom's population was mostly consisted of humans, dwarves, and of course, dragons, there were three separate venues for the coming-of-age ceremony.

To her left was the venue for humans, containing Holy orbs.

To her right was the dwarven venue, containing the Hammers of zeal.

And directly in front of her was the dragon's venue, housing the Altar of origin.

Since the number of dragons her age, and the number of dragons in general, was low, she didn't have to wait long for her turn.

Walking up to the altar with her mother following right behind her, Sylvia placed both of her hand onto its rocky surface and—

=====

Name: Sylvia Salvant / Estellare

Race: Dragon (Part-angel)

Rank: G+

Strength: G+

Agility: G+

Stamina: G

Intelligent: G+

Mana capacity: F+

Profession: Ice mage (Lv.0)

--

Affinities:

[Perfect - Ice magic]

[Extreme - Star magic]

[High - Water magic]

[Low - Lightning magic]

[Low - Time magic]

[Low - Space magic]

--

Skills:

[SS - Authorities]

The user can infuse Mana into her throat to let out a voice that carries certain <Authorities>.

[S - Magic Eyes of emotions]

<The effects are hidden until the Skill's first activation>

[S - Polymorph]

Innate skill of every pure-blooded dragons. Allows the user to turn into his/her own counterpart of most other sentient races.

[A - Mana sense (Superior)]

The user is granted a sense of Mana superior to most lifeforms

--

Battle arts:

-NONE-

=====

'It's just like I remembered it to be'

—As soon as Sylvia awakened her Status, Melissia used her feathery white wings to cover the entirety of their bodies, obscuring everyone's view.

"Little Syl", Melissia whispered. "You see the strange word that is right next to your name?"

Sylvia nodded.

Smiling, Melissia continued. "That's your true name. Don't tell anyone other than the one you will marry in the future your true name, okay?"

"Not even you, mom?"

Although Sylvia had already knew her mother's answer, she still asked that question anyways. After all, she was supposed to be the 10-year-old child who knew nothing.

"Not even me", Melissia sighed.

Despite the fact that she would never reveal her daughter's true name to anyone else, even if it costed her life, Melissia still refused to let Sylvia tell her it. 

The past Sylvia might have not known it at the time, but now, with her memories of the future, she was able to tell that the reason why her mother did so was to emphasis on the importance of true names.

After all, horrifying things would happen to Angels or Demons whose true names fell in the wrong hands.

It was then that Melissia's stern voice snapped Sylvia out of her thoughts. "Little Syl, do you get what I'm saying?"

"I got it, mom!", she instantly answered.

Nodding, Melissia took out a necklace from her pocket and hung it around her daughter's neck.

"This is an artifact that blocks appraisal from every Skills and other artifacts. You must wear this at all time until you learn how to hide your true name in your Status, understand?"

Sylvia nodded.

Smiling in satisfaction, Melissia planted another kiss on Sylvia's forehead and retracted her wings.

"Let's go home, shall w—"

"Knight captain Melissia Salvant!"

Melissia frowned and turned to the source of the voice that rudely interrupted her, only to see a man dressed in fancy clothes.

"What do you want?", she said as she put herself between Sylvia and the man.

Not caring one bit about her actions, the man continued with a formal tone. "Duke Ecertold requests your presence!"

Hearing this, Melissia heaved a long sigh.

"If you want to meet your daughter then you should come to her yourself...", she muttered in a low voice.

She then turned towards Sylvia with a smile. "Little Syl, wait here for me, okay? Mommy will be back in a bit"

"After I beat the shit out of that dragon that is", she then muttered under her breath.

"It's alright mom, I can wait!"

Patting Sylvia's head affectionately, Melissia followed the man to meet Evanos Ecertold.
...

Sitting on a bench in the venue, Sylvia waited patiently.

'Any seconds now...'

As soon as she finished her thoughts, something happened.

Tssssssss—!

Leil hissed at Sylvia, apparently wanting to tell her something. Of course, Sylvia didn't know what it was trying to say.

It then moved to the ground a slithered out of the venue.

"Bye Leil!", Sylvia waved and continued resting on the bench.

After all, as long as she didn't follow the snake, nothing bad would happen.

However—

'Huh?'

—Things played out differently than Sylvia had expected them to.

'W- What's happening!?'

She was confused. After all, as soon as the snake left the venue, her body moved on her own.

Hard as she tried, she couldn't stop herself from following the snake. It was like her consciousness was trapped inside her own head, watching someone else pilot her body.

And eventually, it happened.

"Hoh? What's a little girl doing out here?", a man, who looked like a stereotypical ruffian with spiked hair and nose piercings, blocked Sylvia path.

"I'm looking for a white snake, mister. Have you seen one?", she answered innocently.

"Oh, that snake? It's inside that alley!", he pointed to a dark alley behind him.

'N- NO! DON'T FOLLOW HIM!'

She screamed inside of her mind. But alas, it was futile. 

"Thanks mister!", she smiled brightly 

As soon as Sylvia entered the alley, she felt a sharp pain on the back of her head, and her vision went black.
...

When Sylvia regained consciousness, she found herself tied to a chair in a dark room.

This time, however, she had full control of her body.

'I HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE!'

She tried to get out of her bindings using her physical strength. However, there was only so much she could do as a mere <G+> rank.

She tried to use her magic to get herself out of here. However, her body wasn't developed enough to use magic yet. As such, all of her attempts just served to cause her pain.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

CLANK—!

As she was screaming, the door to the room was swung open.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU BITCH!", the man from earlier shouted as her as soon as he laid eyes on her.

Ignoring him, Sylvia pleaded. "Please! You have to let me go!"

Pausing for a bit to look at Sylvia in disbelief, the man chuckled. "You brat still don't get what kind of situation you're in right now? I'm selling you to slavers. A beauty like you could fetch me a pretty coin"

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!", she screamed. "MY MOM IS GOING TO COME HERE!"

"Pfft! As if anyone's ever going to find this place!"

"Although...", he then licked his lips lustfully. "...I'd like to meet the wrench that popped out a someone like you"

Fantasying about god knows what, the man giggled to himself and left the room.

CLANK—!

Sylvia continued to scream, begging for her to be released. However, the man didn't come through the door again, as if ignoring her.

Eventually, the door creaked open again.

CLANK—!

Instead of the man, however, the one who walked through the door was... Melissia.

She was doused in blood that was not her own's, shifting her eyes all over the place with anxiety.

As soon as she noticed Sylvia, Melissia heaved a sigh of relief and rushed to hug her.

"Syl! Thank god you're fine!"

She then untied her daughter. "That bastard didn't hurt you or anything, right?"

'MOM! GET AWAY FROM ME!'

"I'm fine, mom... B- But hic! I'm scared..."

She tried to warn her mother. However, what came out of her mouth was something completely different.

'I- It's happening again!?'

Just like before, Sylvia became a passive observer inside her own body.

As such, she could only watch in horror as her mother patted her head with an reassuring smile.

"There there, everything will be alright, Syl. Mommy's here"

"R- Really?"

"Yes.", Melissia then hugged her.

'N- NO!'

Sylvia tried her hardest to control her body. But of course, it was all for naught.

Thus, she could only observe herself—

"I'm glad you're here for me, mom!"

—Smiling brightly.

<[S - Magic Eyes of emotions]: Passive> is unlocked

...

A month had passed since Sylvia had been kidnapped. Currently, she was bringing food into her mother's room.

"Hehahaha!"

Tok—! Tok—! Tok—! Tok—!...

"Hahahaha!"

Tok—! Tok—! Tok—!...

"Hahahaha!"

Tok—! Tok—!...

Sylvia could hear her mother's laughter getting clearer and clearer as she got closer to the room.

Eventually, she arrived in front of her mother's room.

Staring at the door for a few seconds, Sylvia mustered up all of her courage and opened the door.

CLANK—!

"Mom..."

Hearing this, Melissia snapped her head in Sylvia's direction with a wide smile. "Hehahah! Little Syl! You don't need to force yourself to deliver food to me, you know? Hahaha!"

In response, Sylvia merely stared at her with an expressionless face. However, she couldn't conceal the guilt that was flashing through her shaking eyes.

Seeing this, Melissia laughed. "Hahaha! Don't give me that face, Syl! It's not your fault! Hahah!"

"Come here!", Melissia extended her arms out. "Give me a hug like you always do. Hahaha!"

Still keeping an emotionless face, Sylvia hugged her mother, albeit with much reluctance.

"Hahaha! Little Syl, remember this...", Melissia laughed as she caressed Sylvia's head. "...No matter what happens, and no matter what anyone says,... Mommy still loves you"
...

The next day, Sylvia came into the room again, only to find her mother, with a knife embedded in her throat, dead.

"W- Why..."

She stuttered as she held her mother's cold hand.

"This is supposed to be my second chance..."

Despite this being the second time she has witnessed her mother's death, hot tears still rolled down her cheeks.

"SO WHY!? WHY CAN'T I CHANGE ANYTHING?"

She then clenched her fists in anger.

"HOW MUCH MORE DO I NEED TO SUFFE—"

"Little Syl!"

Sylvia suddenly paused in the middle of her scream and turned towards the familiar voice.

"M- Mom?"

It was her mother, alive and breathing.

Not just that, the scenery around her changed again. And just like the time when she first regressed, she was sitting at a wooden table, with a big cake right in front of her.

'D- Did I... come back again...?'

Though, she was again snapped out of her thoughts by her mother's voice. "Little Syl, are you not feeling well? You've been screaming at the cake, you know?"

Staring at her mother for a while, Sylvia eventually closed her eyes and accepted the situation. 

'That's right... I've regressed once more...'

She then turned towards her mother with a smile. "I'm fine, mom"

Hearing this, Melissia sighed in relief and caressed Sylvia's head.

Instead, of focusing on her mother's warmth like before, however, Sylvia fell into thoughts.

And, after a while, she had decided on what she would do.

Thus, she picked Leil, her pet snake, up from the ground and held it in her hands.

"Oh, Leil's here? I think she also wants to wish you a happy birthday, little Syl!"

She nodded her head in acknowledgement to her mother's statement.

Gazing at Leil with a look of determination in her eyes, Sylvia—

'Time to right my wrong!'

—Tightened her grip on the snake.

CRACK—! Spurt—!
...

"Little Syl, wait here for me, okay? Mommy will be back in a bit"

"It's alright mom, I can wait!"

Sylvia waved at her mother. 

As soon as she got out of sight, however, she fell into thoughts again.

'Will it happen this time...?'

After all, everything was mostly the same this regression.

Mostly.

The main difference was that Keith was actually kicked out from the knight order. 

The reason was that due to her killing Leil, Melissia thought that something was wrong with Sylvia and observed her more closely. Thus, Keith was caught red-handed trying to sneak Sylvia into the torture chambers.

However, Sylvia was soon snapped out of her own thoughts, as her earlier question was answered. 

'W- What!? Again?'

Whether there was a snake to chase after or not, her body moved on its own again.

Things then played out like they did in the first regression, and the result was of course, her mother killing herself.

"..."

"Little Syl, are you alright? You've been staring at the cake for quite a while now"

Startled, Sylvia turned around only to see the all-too-familiar sight of her mother sitting right behind her, caressing her head.

'So I regressed again...'

Standing up and kissing her mother's forehead, Sylvia became even more determined.

'This time, it will be different!'
...

3rd regression: She tried to go with her mother when she was summoned by duke Ecertold. However, the man who relayed the duke's order to her mother always found an excuse for Sylvia to wait by herself at the venue.

4th regression: She tried to secretly follow her mother. However, she soon lost control of her own body and walked to the dark alleyway instead.

5th regression: She tried talking her mother into appointing several Serpente knights to protect her. However, she somehow always found a way to slip by the knights and go into the alleyway.
...

9th regression: She tried to get into the Ecertold estate , claiming that she was the duke's daughter. However, she got kicked out every single time.
...

24th regression: She tried to run away from her mother, aiming to miss the coming-of-age ceremony altogether. However, she still got kidnapped either way.
...

36th regression: She was getting really desperate. As such, she amputated her own legs to prevent herself from running off to anywhere. However, the man who kidnapped her just waltzed into the venue and carried her out without anyone even suspecting anything.
...

"Heh... nothing works... Is the future truly... unchangeable?", Sylvia muttered to herself as she sat alone in her room.

She was justified in thinking that. After all, this was already her 37th regression.

Eventually, she heaved a long sigh. "Haaaaah... I guess all I can do is... give up..."

Thus, she decided to just enjoy her time with her mother, before she inevitably regressed again.
***

In a dark room, a figure with pitch black sclerae, irises and pupils was sitting on a couch, watching TV.

However, instead of normal programs, what was playing on the screen was the footage of Sylvia of the '37th regression' playing with her mother.

"Hmmm... she hasn't despaired quite enough yet..."

It then stood up and snapped its fingers.

Snap—!

Instantly, the TV and the couch disappeared. Manifesting in their place was a massive library full of... books, of course.

And out of the millions of books, the figure picked out one with pink cover.

"Let's see who are you clinging your hopes onto..."

Flipping through the pages, it muttered.

" 'Father', 'brother', 'grandpa', 'Ria', and... 'Theo', huh? Very well then..."

It then put the book back on the shelf and laughed to itself. 

"I'll show you true despair, oh perfect vessel of mine!"

34