Chapter 2: Fatherly Advice
7.8k 12 153
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Book 1, Volume 1

Chapter 2

The Garden Lunchbox Shop kitchen greeted Michael as he stepped out off the last step. His dad was a little busy getting the kitchen ready for business. The door to the backyard was open bringing the gardens into view: A flower garden, herb garden, vegetable and fruit gardens... nurtured and well cared for.

The gardens were essential for Dad's Garden Lunchbox Shop and Mom's online Fayre's Garden Atelier Shop.

Ever since Michael was little he'd help out in the gardens, helping his dad in the food shop, and helping his mother in her basement handicrafts workshop. Between helping out the family businesses, the gardens, school work, and the dojo his days were often busy.

As for his sisters: Big sister Cara was better at cooking than him so, she mainly helped dad. While little sister Rori was a 'tinker blood'; She worked in her own attic Clankwerks Art Workshop.

His family owned, lived in, and ran their family businesses out of their wonderful 3 stories European inspired stone building... well, 4 story if you counted the basement.

His mom was named after her Irish grandmother, Fayre. Which explains Mom's and Cara's green eyes, Rori's blue eyes, and mine... uh no, I had no such luck. Just plain boring muddy brown eyes for me. /sigh Michael thought.

His mom's online shop sold homemade soaps, shampoos, conditioners, scented decorative candles, essential oils, teas and herbs, and recently, Rori's steampunk-inspired Clankwerks Art, which seemed to be selling quite well. Thanks to their family businesses, they were doing quite well financially.

“Morning dad,” Michael walked over and gave his dad a quick hug.”Thanks for letting us go. You know, most parents wouldn't let their kids visit another city without them.” Michael made his way to the door that led to the dining area, turned, and smiled at his dad. “But not my parents, pssh... another city, my parents are letting us visit another world!”

His dad lightly chuckled. “You all be good and enjoy yourselves. But don't forget, even if it's a virtual world, treat others as you would have them treat you... okay? Kindness with kindness... don't want no bad karma... even if it is virtual.” His dad gave him a smile and a wink, grabbed a couple of baskets, and then headed out the back door into the gardens.

Michael turned around, opened the door, and walked into the dining area that resembled some type of women's only club meeting. Sitting around a table while chatting were his mother (Fayre), big sister (Cara), her best friend (Irene), little sister (Rori), and her best friend (Sadie).

“Morning ladies, hope I'm not interrupting your sisterhood of the fayre pants meeting. If so, I can head back into the kitchen while I wait for you little women to tell me it's time to go.” Michael said as he started to turn around.

“Hmmph! We've been waiting for ages for you to be ready, took you long enough.” Cara walked up to him, stretched her arm up, and lightly thumped him on the head. “What's the matter you big oaf, did you forget how to work the shower? Is that what took you so long?”

Michael quickly grabbed Cara's arms, held her in a partial bear hug, while looking at his mom, “Quick mom, I caught me a wee little leprechaun. Get some rope to bind her and force her to lead us to her pot of gold.”

Laughter filled the shop's dining area. A moment later Cara's muffled voice broke through his bear hug, “If you don't let me go, the only place I'll be leading everyone to is your pot of hentai!” Another round of laughter filled the room as Michael let her go.

“No need, I tossed that all out long ago,” his mother said as she got up off her chair and walked over to him. She gave him a hug and looked around the room. “You all are growing up much too fast...”

“No, just Michael...” Rori and Cara muttered quietly.

Not minding their comments, their mother carried on, “After this summer Cara will be a senior, Michael a junior, and my baby girl Rori will be starting her first year of high school. My 3 babies will all be going to the same school together. That hasn't happened since grade school...”

“Mom don't you think it's a little early to be talking about this, we still have all summer before school starts...” Cara said.

“Summers always past by in a flash, and this will be the first time we'll spend it apart.” Their mother said. “Well, we'll see each other virtually at least. Remember, Father and I will be playing and forming a craftsman guild with some of the other parents from the PTA. We won't be getting in the way of your fun, but we do want you to stop by and spend time with us every now and again. Understand?” She asked with a warmth in her heart as she looked at her children's faces.

“I'll be happy to mom, but you'll probably have a hard time recognizing me,” Cara said in a dancing sing-song voice. “I'm planning on being a tall female magic warrior race, that way I can finally make Michael look up to me when talking.”

“Sorry to burst your bubble big sister, but the game only allows you to make your avatar the same gender and height as you are in real life. Didn't you read through the information pack?” Michael laughed as Cara became crestfallen like a little girl who's ice cream fell on the ground on a hot summer day.

“Well, I'm hoping that I get chosen for a Unique race! They get their own starting story area, bonus attribute points, unique skill and/or spell, an extra god or goddess blessing, and a unique Soulryn.” Rori said excitedly. “There's common races, uncommon races, rare races, and the ultimate... Unique races. You'd have to be a major baka to decline a Unique race if you're chosen.”

“Don't forget though, even if you get a common race, don't be sad, races can evolve into higher-tiered races or mixed races. It all depends on what you discover in the game.” Sadie said shyly while holding Rori's hand. Rori smiled at her, gave her hand a gentle pat, and then turned back to the others.

153