Chapter 5: Old Companions (1)
887 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A guide accompanied Keira towards the ballroom. As she entered, she was greeted with a radiant light. The atmosphere was joyous, people were dancing in the center of the ballroom, some were having a casual discussion on the side and a very few others were simply sipping their champagne in the very corner.

It's just how Keira imagined a ball would be. Her eyes sparkled at the sight and a bright smile appeared on her face. Although she wanted to have fun and dance all night long, she knew she needed to keep a low profile. All these people know nothing of her, and if one were to question her status she surely would not be able to answer. She decided to make her presence as little as possible and just observe the people enjoying the ball, imagining that she was the one dancing instead.

Keira walked to the corner of the room where the wallflowers usually reside but she didn't mind that she would become one of them. Simply being able to attend was already fulfilling for her.

She grabbed a glass of champagne from a roaming waiter and took a small sip. The wine tasted exquisite, it certainly lives up to the royal family's name.

Having small sips of champagne, Keira carefully observed the people around her. Despite her status being relatively high before, she did not get the chance to meet a lot of people, thus the people around her looked unfamiliar. Until she saw a very familiar face.

Fritz.

This was one of her companions that fought alongside her and Aster during the Light and Darkness wars. Keira froze for a moment as she recalled the time she spent with her companions in this world. Even though their time together was only for a brief moment, they fought life and death together. Every moment she has spent with her friends, her companions are still precious in her heart. Sadly she does not belong in this world, hence, she had to leave them.

Keira looked down as she reminisced about the fun times she had in this world. Every time she leaves a world, she promises herself that she will never forget the faces of her friends, and yet here she is right now just remembering the bond that she once had with these people. She slowly forgot these people after going through different worlds even though she had pledged to herself to forever remember them. Truly despicable.

System 999 saw her Host get frustrated but it could not understand why.

Keira looked in Fritz's direction again and saw a woman approaching him. This was also a companion of hers. She was the woman that Keira got along with extremely well. Her name was Guinevere.

Guinevere was the opposite of Fritz. While Fritz was upright and always obeyed the rules, Guinevere was similar to her true self, loose and loved to have fun. If Aster and Keira were deemed to be a couple in the people's eyes, the same can be said to Fritz and Guinevere.

Keira wondered if they finally realize the feelings they have for each other. Before, they would constantly deny the things going on between them even though it was blatantly obvious.

Keira wanted to approach them so badly but she knew she couldn't. She resisted the urge and just decided to get out of this room. She felt like she would suffocate from remorse so she exited the ballroom to the backdoor.

After walking for some time in the corridors, she ended up outside. The cool night breeze greeted her as she took a deep breath, getting rid of these unnecessary emotions that would hinder her goal. She felt herself trying to suppress tears forming in her eyes from falling.

Continuing on walking, she arrived at the palace gardens. She also spent a lot of time here before because this place contained a lot of fascinating flowers. She gently touched the flower as her mind drifted away. This was the problem in herself that she hates. When she feels overwhelmed, she just wants to bawl her eyes out.

Her system comforted its Host even though it does not understand why it wants to cry all of the sudden.

Maybe because of the ambiance in the garden, Keira could not hold herself back. Tears formed in her eyes as she silently tried to hold back a whimper.

Keira: [Ellyy… I am purely a terrible person huhu. T_T]

System 999: [There, there Host. Don't worry, after we find the Manpasikjeok we will go to the next world!] The system tried its very best to comfort its Host.

Keira knew that Elly didn't know why she was devastated but she felt touched that her cute Elly was trying to cheer her up.

Keira: [Elly, don't ever leave me T_T]

System 999: [Don't worry Host. I will always be right here.] System 999 assured its Host.

"Young maiden? Why are you out here alone crying?"

A pleasant voice sounded beside Keira.

Keira found herself stunned and frozen in place.

'Fuck! The Male lead is here!'

"I— uh" Keira could not find the right words to say as she was dumbstruck by the sudden appearance of the male lead.

'Was he not in the ballroom? Wait, I didn't see him there. Was he perhaps in the garden all this time and I just failed to realize it due to my grief?' Keira wanted to punch herself badly.

A handkerchief was offered in front of her and Keira could not help but look up. She instantly regretted another impulsive decision of hers. She was breath taken by the captivating face of Aster.

His look gives off a different vibe when hit by the moonlight. He has his usual radiant smile yet it presents itself as alluring. His golden eyes were peering into Keira's blue irises. Keira could examine Aster's handsome face more clearly now that he was close. His sharp jaws, intricate nose, and soft lips. He was just breathtaking.

Keira snaps herself from the spell that Aster's handsome face cast on her. She gently took the handkerchief from his hand and used it to wipe her damp face. Aster continues to stare at her face, his smile plastered on his face.

"May I now ask why you were crying, my lady?" Aster said as if he was trying to coax Keira. His smile was still visible.

Maybe it was due to that that Keira blurted out, "I recalled something tragic in the past which brought tears to my eyes."

"Is that so?" Aster sweetly said while brushing his thumb across the tear streak on Keira's face, slowly bringing them up to the corner of her eyes and wiping the remaining tears.

His eyes never left hers as he was smiling sweetly. HIs deep stare made Keira unconsciously shudder. Keira wanted to back away in fear that he would uncover her true identity, yet her body wouldn't move.

Whenever Keira was confronted with his eyes, she couldn't help but tell the truth. His eyes expressed a very deep yearning and expectations. Her throat ran dry as we continued to stare at each other's eyes, trying to uncover what was behind them.

After what felt like forever, Aster removed his hand from my face but he didn't bother taking a step back.

"May I ask this beautiful maiden's name?" Aster coyly asked.

"It's... Mapajoke" Keira earnestly said, her eyes shining as those words left her mouth.

"Mapajoke, what a beautiful name." His smile widened as he repeated those words.

System 999 felt itself choke in her own nonexisting spit. It was completely flabbergasted by this ludicrous event. 'Her name even includes the word 'joke' in it and yet, even the male lead doesn't find her name absurd!' System 999 began to question its system's views of human idiocracy.

15