Chapter 7: Onto The Road (1)
814 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the sun rose, Keira gathered her belongings in her room and prepared the necessary things for her journey. She still needs to roam around the city because she had forgotten to gather information regarding the Berrick Valley yesterday.

'I should definitely avoid Aster. Yesterday was too dangerous. He is unto me without a doubt.'

Before Keira left the inn, she asked the owner of the inn who greeted her yesterday regarding  any news about her Berrick Valley. The innkeeper, paused for a moment to think then replied,

"Berrick Valley? There is not much going on in the place after the final war. Furthermore, that place has been wiped clean and even after 5 years, it remains barren. No signs of trees and plants were growing."

"Is that place accessible to the people?" Keira questioned the aunty.

"From what I have heard before, it was indeed not accessible to the public after the war, but then 2 years ago, the palace had announced that we could freely access that route again. They have assured that there was no threat; the land was stable but the place is just deserted."

Keira thought that maybe it was due to the Manpasikjeok that the valley remained desolated even after 5 years had passed. Plants would have begun to grow as it was a valley surrounded by mountains full of vegetation and animals. It was impossible if it was due to the aftermath of the war, for when she sacrificed herself, the land was purified alongside the darkness. So Kiera was certain this was caused by the Manpasikjeok.

Keira decided to ask one last question before she heads off, "What route should I take in order to reach Berrick Valley?"

The aunty eyed her conspicuously with a questioning look.

"Why are you trying to go to that deserted place anyways? Other people have traveled there before to try and seek remnants of the war. Of course, it was to no avail. The royal family has already cleared that place in 2 years." The innkeeper said while shaking her head, but Keira still insisted on asking.

"Well, I am traveling from place to place to study about the Light and Darkness war. After the anniversary of the Saintess yesterday, I was enlightened to uncover more of her marvelous deeds! It was just that spectacular, you know?" Keira said with a beaming smile on her face while her System 999 can't help but be in awe of the shamelessness of its Host.

Keira continued and asked, "So, could you tell me more about 'these people' who have traveled to this barren place?"

The innkeeper just sighed but still replied to her insistence, "A friend of mine went there before. He should be able to tell you how to safely go to Berrick Valley. He runs a bakery near the plaza. If you walk straight from this street, you should be able to see the bakery."

"Thank you so much!" Keira happily said as she finally had the information she wanted.

Keira left money for payment of her room and a small tip for the input the aunty gave her. She merrily left the inn. The innkeeper looked at the money Keira left her and her eyes immediately widened. 'She left a gold coin with 3 silvers!' The aunty was delighted that she shared the information she had.

...

Today was a good day. The weather was nice and everything seemed to be flowing smoothly if she omit the fact she collided with the male lead yesterday.

Keira breathes in a good amount of air before exhaling it as she strolled the city. She headed to the bakery the aunty told her and as she was walking down the street, the scenery was becoming somewhat familiar. Her suspicion was cleared when she arrived at the bakery.

'This! How could such a coincidence happen?!'

She was faced with the bakery she once stole the bread from. She knows for a fact that this was the same bakery for she could clearly see the corner of the alleyway she hid in yesterday!

Keira was debating to just go ask for information from other people, but she didn't want to bother. So Keira steeled herself and went into the bakery.

Keira: [Elly, how many times did the original owner of this body rob bread from this bakery?]

System 999: [53 times within the past 8 years.]

Keira wanted to cry.

Keira: [Do you think he would be able to identify the thief that continued to steal bread from his bakery for 8 years even after I'm all dressed up and clean?]

System 999: [This system thinks it would not!]

With the system's assurance, he approached the owner of the bakery. He was dressed in simple clothes with an apron attached to the front. Despite being a baker, he contained a robust body that seemingly could crush a rolling pin with one hand.

Keira thought that the friend of the aunty would be older but the man in the bakery looked young despite his rough appearance. Rather. he gave off that scary vibe yet a cute one with his apron on.

Keira: [Elly, did the previous owner actually dare to snatch bread in front of this 'healthy' fine man?]

Keira was not able to see her pursuers before because she was busy hiding in the corner not daring to look in their direction. She actually was shocked and amazed at the previous owner for her bravery to risk stealing in front of this man. Inside the shop, the bread was placed on display. It's no wonder how a petite girl could sneakily get bread here.

Keira took a deep breath, smiled, and greeted the man. "Excuse me my good sir. Are you friends with the woman who owns the inn just up the street?"

The man paused momentarily from what he was doing as a pure young maiden talked to him. He collected himself and answered the girl's question.

"Ah yes, I do indeed know her. How can I be of service?" A genial smile radiated from the big rugged man.

Keira inwardly laughed to herself for this man clearly has no clue this was the same peasant that robbed bread from his bakery for the last 8 years.

"I was told that you have been to Berrick Valley before?"

"Indeed I was, but that place is desolated and not anything of value could be found there. Is there any reason as to why a beautiful lady like yourself is asking?" The man coquettishly asked.

Keira could barely hold in her laughter to see this grown man act friendly and cute in front of the girl who robbed him 53 times! She took another deep breath to recollect her composure. She could not break character now.

10