Chapter 20: Back to the Royal Palace (2)
590 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After changing her outfit, she finally opened the door. Keira was wearing a light indoor dress that was easy to move with. Aster must have chosen the outfits in her closet as they precisely fitted her and tailored just the way she likes them. She didn't even have to call on a maid to help her dress as it was easy to change into.

Seeing Keira properly dressed, he smiled and extended his left arm for Keira to hold. Keira hooked her arms and let him lead her to the dining room.

The table had already been set. Once they were seated the meals were served and Keira felt her stomach grumble already. She wanted to dig straight into it but according to etiquette, if dining with the king, everyone on the table must wait for the king to raise his utensils first before they could all begin.

Keira directly stared in Aster's direction. Perceiving Keira's intense glare, Aster let out a laugh and said, "No need to follow the etiquettes, I know how much you despise it. Just act like how you usually act at 'home'."

Hearing Aster's words, Keira eagerly nodded and began to dig into the delights placed on the table. Completely ignorant of the meaning behind Aster's words. Aster never planned on letting Keira understand so he also began to gracefully eat his breakfast.

Only the clatter of the plate and the utensils could be heard in the dining room, however, it was not uncomfortable. In fact, it felt peaceful. Just like the old days.

Having their fill, they decided to go on a stroll in the palace garden to help digest Keira's stuffed stomach.

The sun was not hot as it was still early in the morning. Keira and Aster leisurely walked through the palace gardens. The plants and flowers were still as vibrant as ever since the last time Keira saw them during the ball.

Keira approached the rose bush and crouched down to have a better look. The sunlight gave the blue rose a different vibe, compared at night when they were shining amidst the moonlight glow.

Aster continued to watch Keira peer at the roses in the garden. He thought that she looked extremely lovely side by side with the blue roses he had ordered to be planted after Keira's death. But even the roses paled in comparison to the beauty Keira exudes.

Keira spoke, "Aster."

Aster gave a low hum in response to his name.

"I'm not Keira."

Her words were firm and resolute, startling Aster. Without even needing to see Keira's expression, he could already feel the seriousness that laid on that tone. Seeing that Keira planned on explaining further, he remained silent and let her explain.

"What I mean is, I am Keira but not the 'Keira' you once knew." Keira looked back and glanced at Aster's golden eyes while still crouched down.

"The Keira you knew is already gone. She was a magnificent woman who didn't hesitate to throw her life in exchange for the lives of others. She was kind, pure, and can be naive at times."

Keira spoke as if she were talking about a different person. No, in Keira's mind, they were indeed different people who only contained the same name. The Saintess Keira was not her, but only a persona she made to complete this world's task.

She was not kind nor was she pure. She knew that if she had to sacrifice her life, she would hesitate, unlike the Saintess Keira they praised for being a savior. That's why she would constantly remind herself that they were both different people so she wouldn't have any attachment to the people in this world once she leaves.

Keira decided to tell Aster these things as she believes that Aster would be willing to let her go. She knows that Aster was the most understanding among the other male leads. So maybe he would understand and accept these facts.

Keira slowly stood up and faced Aster, directly looking into his eyes with a sober expression, and said.

"The Saintess Keira is dead."

Silence dawned at them. They peered into each other's eyes, trying hard to uncover what lies beneath but both obtained nothing.

"Nonetheless, you're still Keira."

Aster revealed a small but sincere smile and tenderly looked at Keira.

He continued speaking, "Saintess or not, you're still the same Keira in my eyes."

A hint of crazed emotion emerged in Aster's golden irises.

Keira insisted, "I told you I am the Keira you knew. I don't belong here. I never belonged here in the first place."

Aster only patiently declared, "I'll make it so that you feel at home here."

Keira thought that the male lead was not understanding her properly and was starting to feel vexed.

"Keira is already dead and I'm not supposed to be here again. That is why I need the Manpasikjeok."

"What do you mean you were not supposed to be here?" Aster held Keira's wrist, as he continued to observe her expressions.

"It's as I said, I don't belong here. I am already dead so I should remain dead."

"But you're back. Isn't this already heaven's will to bring you back to me?" A warm and gentle face came into view.

Keira regretted trying to reason with the male lead. She had thought that he would be understanding and not act impulsively.

She tried to shake off Aster's hand on her wrist but it only caused the other party to harden his hold on her. Seeing her actions were futile and this whole argument would lead to nowhere, Keira sighed and tried a different approach.

"Aster please, just hand me the Manpasikjeok. I know you still have it because that flute would have already been reduced into ashes if it were that easy to destroy during the war."

"What if I say no?"

"You're being unreasonable! I have already told you I needed that flute and I was the one who found it so please give it back."

Aster cast his gaze down, seemingly trying to cover his overwhelmed emotions. He then said weakly.

"But if I do, you'll forever disappear from my sight… And I can't take that Keira."

Aster suddenly brought his head up again and stared deep into Keira's glistening blue eyes that were shining like gems.

"I can't afford to lose you again." He uttered these words like he was going to lose the only thing that keeps him alive.

Helplessness was evident in Aster's visage. Keira felt her emotions shake. She could not explain what she was feeling but for some reason, her heart hurts.

Why does it feel like I'm hurting 'him'? Why does their expression look extremely similar right now?

They were clearly different people and yet Keira saw that 'person' through Aster's eyes.

8