Chapter 23: Make Haste (1)
541 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Keira looked down at the floor. She felt conflicted inside. She thought she didn't have any attachment to these people as she separated her true identity from the 'Keira' of this world she portrays. Nevertheless, she didn't notice that she was slowly revealing her true self to these people as she truly treated them as her friends. Perhaps that's why Fritz was able to see the old Keira in this body.

Seeing Keira was silent, Fritz thought that she was just happy and was also overwhelmed but he decided to address the elephant in the room.

"Keira... How exactly did you manage to get back? And how did you end up in this body?" Fritz's voice carried a serious tone, different from what it had been just a few seconds ago.

Keira retracted her gaze from the floor and directed it back to Fritz. Her face also became serious and said, "As I said earlier, I also have no idea how I managed to come back, much less how I came into this body either. All I knew is that I was supposed to be dead. The moment I released my light powers during the war, everything went black. It was like being asleep for a brief moment, and when I woke up, I was already in the body of a beggar. I tried to find clues about what happened by going to the place I previously died in but it only led to a bit of disaster but thankfully Aster was there."

999: [Host, your story doesn't align with what exactly happened. The male lead knows you are seeking the Manpasikjeok so by telling these lies, aren't you digging a hole for yourself?]

Keira: [I know, but I believe Aster would not speak about the Manpasikjeok to the others because he won't tell anyone about the matters he is unsure of. He doesn't know what the Manpasikjeok is and why I am trying to obtain it.]

999: [Oh I see! (・∀・)]

Fritz remained soundless as he tried to take the information in. He appears to be in deep thought and Keira didn't plan on disturbing him.

A light knock on the door interrupted the silence.

A palace maid brought in the refreshments and also passed the quill and papers that Keira asked for earlier. Keira politely thanked her. The maid gave a slight bow before leaving after filling in their cups seeing that they wanted to be alone.

Keira brought the teacup near her lips, taking a whiff of the fresh lemon tea before taking a small sip. Fritz also did the same, grabbing his tea and drinking it.

After quenching her thirst, Keira asked Fritz about Guinevere's situation, "How is Guinevere now?"

At the mention of Guinevere's name, Fritz lowered his cup to his lap and his eyes seemed to wander far away. Fritz then began speaking, "Guinevere was also gravely saddened by your death and she could not bear to remain in Ilios city where she was being constantly reminded of your sacrifice. People rejoiced but Guinevere could not even bring herself to attend the victory celebration. As much as she was happy that the war was finally concluded, she could not find herself in a festive mood."

Keira faltered but thankfully Fritz was not able to see her expression as he had his eyes cast down. Fritz looked up again and brought back his warm smile.

"You two were extremely close. Even though I have known Guinevere longer, she would not leave your side even for a bit."

Keira laughed as she recalled the time when Guinevere would always drag her along to cause trouble just cause Guinevere was bored.

"Her energy just doesn't diminish, does it? She's like a battery that is always hooked up to a charger."

Fritz tilted his head and questioned, "Battery? What's that?"

"Oh, what I meant to say was she was just brimming with vigor like a person who never lacks the supply of energy." Keira inwardly gave herself a facepalm as she had forgotten that batteries don't exist in this world.

"Yeah, and you were the supplier of her energy, whenever you're around she would always be so active and lively just like the time you two decided to prank one of the soldiers."

"Excuse you! I was not in any way the cause of her childishness, she was the one who always brings me along whenever she creates trouble just to have me as a shield whenever you or Aster comes around to reprimand her."

"Hahaha! I guess that's true!"

Keira and Fritz continued to talk about the past that the four of them shared together and also the things that Keira missed from her 5 years of disappearance. Before they knew it, it was already dark outside.

"It has gotten dark outside, sorry for taking up your time Fritz. I'm certain you must have been busy as you are the Grand Duke after all."

Fritz let out a light chuckle and pat Keira's head. Keira felt warm inside and she could not help but form a small smile on her lips.

"It was no problem at all. I have already finished most of my work before coming here today anyways."

Keira looked up and scoffed at Fritz, "How could you have finished your work when you came here during the morning?"

"Is that right? Hahaha..." Fritz awkwardly scratched the back of his neck after having his 'lie' be exposed.

"Anyway, I have to leave now as I still have matters that I have left unattended."

Keira let out a giggle and responded, "Okay, take care. I can't see you out, so you just have to walk by yourself."

Fritz gave a light nod before heading towards the door. After Fritz left, Keira sat back down on the couch and finally let herself sink in the comfortable seat. But not long after a knock resounded in the room.

Keira propped herself up and uttered, "Yes?"

The door opened revealing Aster in his casual clothes. 'He is still as stupidly handsome as ever.' Keira inwardly thought to herself.

"I have come to pick you up. It's already past dinner time."

"Okay." Keira only gave a light response before standing up and walking towards the door.

Aster escorted Keira out of the room back to the dining room.

The food was delicious and everything was being catered according to Keira's taste. Keira was silently enjoying her meal when Aster spoke, "Guinevere would be arriving tomorrow."

Keira paused her actions and looked at Aster. He continued, "I sent her a letter to come back to the palace immediately when I brought you back to the palace. She is not living in Ilios anymore but she is not staying that far as she wants to easily come back to the city whenever it's your anniversary."

"Yes, I already heard from Fritz." Keira uttered as she proceeded to continue her dinner.

At the mention of Fritz's name, Aster's eyes narrowed. He originally doesn't want anyone to meet Keira as he doesn't like to see her smiling and talking about other people besides him. But, in order to convince Keira to stay, he could not force her in this way. He was already stopping her from wandering outside, any more than that, he felt that he would only push Keira further away from him, the exact opposite of what he wanted. So he could only result in these cunning ways.

When he heard his subordinate's report earlier before he went to Keira's room, he barely managed to hold himself back from tearing those two apart. He could not do that however as this was exactly going according to his plan. So he could only bury these dark thoughts for now.

The two continue to eat their supper and when they both finished, Aster escorted Keira back to her room, bidding her goodnight before returning back to his own room that was next to Keira's.

Having returned to her own room, Keira collapsed herself to the bed. Her face implanted on the bed, she mumbled under the sheets, "Elly, let's steal the mapajoke today."

System 999: [Why did you call it mapajoke again Host? You were able to pronounce it clearly before when talking to the male lead.]

Keira tilted her sideways before speaking again, "Manpasikjeok or mapajoke it's still the same thing at the end of the day; it is my ticket way out."

System 999: [I suppose that's true (・∀・)]

Keira: [Let's try and locate the mapajoke later at midnight.]

System 999: [But aren't there guards outside your room Host?]

Keira: [What could petty guards do when I have a formidable system by my side.]

System 999 felt touched by its Host words.

System 999: [You are also formidable Host QAQ]

"Huh? What are you talking about? I meant the system store." Keira felt that her Elly was still stupid as ever.

System 999: [ (・∀・) ]

6