Chapter 87: Rachel Rynald
521 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stella came back ten minutes later while the class was still ongoing. She avoided eye contact with everyone in the class and only looked at the ground most of the time.

The sparring matches were pretty much done by now so the real lessons were about to start.

“Now that everyone is warmed up, we can begin your training,” Rodrick grabbed a wooden sword and held it at arm’s length with its tip pointing upwards.

“I’d like to correct Arnold’s words from earlier,” he looked at Arnold, “You said that Sword Intent was developed by us humans to combat arrows, right?”

“Isn’t that true, though? The technique is as old as this empire. They used it in war during the second emperor’s reign when swords were the primary weapons that dominated the lands. But soon people started crafting other weapons. This included the spear,” he pointed at the rack of spears, “and the bow,” then he pointed at the archery table.

Rodrick beckoned him to continue.

“Our empire had warriors that outclassed other nations in swordsmanship, hence the term Sword Master being derived from the earliest sword saints. But what we didn’t expect were long-ranged weapons. How ridiculous did it seem to our forefathers when they saw pieces of wood, with a tiny blade attached to the top, fly at their heads? Even worse, the magicians began appearing during these times which made it possible to enchant arrows.

We dropped like flies because we didn’t expect to be attacked with such weapons. Many called it cowardice, but I can only see it as smart because they used the ignorance of our empire’s soldiers against us. One day a group of martial artists calling themselves the Murim Martial Alliance came to our empire. They were notorious for fighting as mercenaries and killing even their allied nations’ soldiers. But our emperor from that time had to rely on them.

They began teaching our people a technique that can even stop the blade of a sword or a lance from a person on horseback. It was crazy how such a convenient technique could exist. Some doubted this but that changed when the leader of the alliance showed them the art. The Sword Master’s blade couldn’t even pierce through this thin layer of film,” Arnold lifted his hand which was surrounded in a misty haze. His hand was covered in Sword Intent.

“As such, they taught this art to our soldiers and we managed to win in every war ever since. If our enemies had a new plan then we would crush it. But sadly, the technique didn’t last ever since the first piece of enchanted armor was invented.”

Rodrick smiled, “Do any of you know what Arnold is talking about?”

All of them averted their eyes.

‘How can you be a swordsman yet you don’t know the roots of swordsmanship?’ Arnold thought in disappointment.

Even Flora remembered this even if she herself can’t use Sword Intent that well.

“It’s a pity that the academy decided to not add Sword Intent as a subject. Anyway, the reason I’m talking about it is to help all of you master this art.”

‘Oh? I’ve never considered mastering it.’

Arnold had his aura so it wasn’t necessary for him to use Sword Intent to its full potential.

Arnold only used his Sword Intent to sharpen the blade of his sword when fighting. That way he wouldn’t need to use his aura when it wasn’t necessary.

“Does Sword Intent have the ability to act the same way as Aura?” one of Arnold’s classmates asked.

“You mean as a means of powering up? No,” Rodrick simply answered, “but that’s only when it's used at the first and second stage. Only the third stage can be weaponized.”

“There’re stages to this technique?” Stella’s head jerked up and she asked that question.

“Yes, allow me to demonstrate,” Rodrick pointed his index finger at the archery targets that was 100 meters away.

A misty haze surrounded his entire body. It was light so it didn’t fall to the ground like Ki—which was much denser.

“Watch how every drop of power is being focused on my index finger.”

Just like he said, the power slowly went towards his finger. The power surrounding his finger was now as large as his head.

If aura was used in the same manner then the power would violently thrashing but the power surrounding Rodrick’s finger was gentle.

“The first stage is known as Breeze; the second stage which is used to sharpen your blade or act as a weapon is Sword Intent, and the third and final stage is called Aether and it has a plethora of uses. Like this.”

A deafening vibration resounded as the power was shot from his hand. It shot so powerfully that it made the air around it whistle.

An explosion, followed by a mushroom cloud, followed.

‘What the…’

Arnold’s entire body trembled.

‘S-Sword Intent was this powerful all along…?’

Rodrick’s finger was blue and swelled, “Ugh, I shouldn’t be using it all at once again.”

“T-That was amazing!”

“Yeah! I can’t believe we can use it like that!”

“Can we do it too!?”

“Teach us, Rodrick sir!”

“H-Haha… Calm down everyone. I’ll teach it to you but you must remember that this power is very dangerous. The board will be very upset when I mention this to them. Its origins are unknown but I am certain that even Aura and demon energy can’t compare to this power if we take into account that it’s an endless stream of power.”

Arnold asked his own question this time, “Endless… Are you saying that this power has no limit?” he asked while gazing at Rodrick’s finger.

“Indeed.”

“Yet you injured your finger with that one demonstration. Am I right to assume that it depends on the individual’s body and constitution?”

Rodrick’s eyes widened, “Impressive. I was just about to say that. Yes, this power is dangerous to its user’s body.”

A power that could combat blessings of the gods. It wasn’t demon energy or aura.

It was Aether and it could make even man equal to a God.

◇◇

“I hope all of you go back to your rooms and study this power. I can’t teach it to you if you don’t have a basic understanding of it. From what I can tell only a few of you can use Sword Intent. But I know that only Arnold can use it like a third limb.”

Which meant that only Arnold has mastered the second stage.

The bell rang when Rodrick finished speaking.

“See you all tomorrow. Hopefully, we can begin the preparations for the third stage tomorrow.” Rodrick waved them all goodbye as they left and spread out.

“Arnold.”

Rodrick called out to only Arnold. Arnold turned around to face his professor.

Rodrick only spoke when everyone left.

“This power is not something that is meant to be taught to children.”

“Then why teach it to us?”

“Simple. Because we need it. But there are limits to using this power. I want you to watch this closely.” Rodrick took out a potion and poured it on his finger.

Arnold’s eyes widened when he saw that nothing was happening.

The liquid only dripped to the ground, making plants bloom from between the stone.

“See what it does to the body when pushed over the limit? Even 7th star swordsmen like myself can’t master this power without difficulties. But I’m glad we can use it at the very least. Although the aftermath would be your body feeling as if it was being prickled with needles.”

“Will our bodies ever heal?”

“Only if you don’t push it like I did. If it’s only muscle spasms and cracks in your bones then it’s reversible. But,” he showed his finger, “My finger might need to be chopped off so that the corruption doesn’t spread. Anyway, like I said, be careful with this power. There are rumors that state that this power corrupts the mind and soul.”

Rodrick walked passed Arnold after finishing what he had to say.

“…I’ll remember that, sir.”

Arnold said to no one in particular as Rodrick had already disappeared.

Grace was feeling hopeless.

This feeling was the same emotion she felt ever since her marriage with Jurius was cancelled.

The entire empire knew that he was related to the attack on the Berkley castle. Many people loathed the prince for this. Of course, being his wife and all people hated Grace too.

‘Even though I had nothing to do with it!’ Grace stomped angrily towards her next class which was history. ‘Now I have to see the face of the guy who also caused this.’

His handsome and mature face appeared in her mind which made her blush.

‘No, no! Why am I thinking about him like that!? H-He might be hot but…’

Grace felt drool fall from her mouth so she hastily wiped it.

“Good morning~!” A cheerful shout came from beside Grace.

A girl with blonde pigtails hopped in front of Grace while she was imagining Arnold’s six pack.

“Ah, it’s just you Rachel.”

“Why do you look so down?” The girl tilted her head.

Rachel was apparently a friend of Grace. From what “she” remembered, Grace Lewan wasn’t a very sociable person. That being said, the entire reason Grace befriended this person in their first year at the academy was to use her.

Although Rachel wasn’t a noble, her family was very well known in the merchant world.

She was… a Rynald.

Grace had befriended this girl specifically because of her family name. Well, she didn’t need to know that.

“I… came down with a cold the other day so I’m a little grumpy.” Grace shrugged.

“A cold, huh? You could’ve told me then I would’ve brought you some soup!”

“It’s fine… Anyway, how was your previous class?”

“Eh, not great. Her highness Olivia caused quite a stir during the lesson.”

“What did she do?”

“Well, some guys came into our classroom and demanded her to come with them to have lunch. She profusely refused and even slapped one of them.”

‘Haa…’

“I don’t think they came to invite her for lunch…” Grace shook her head, “They’re probably from the imperial faction sent to embarrass Olivia. Most likely they would rape her in front of a lot of people.”

Of course, the perpetrators would be punished heavily for this but the mastermind would firmly deny having any part in all this. Ronia could simply say that some of her people got ahead of themselves and acted single-mindedly.

“R-R-Rape…?”

“It’s to put pressure on her for not choosing who to side with. Of course, Olivia wouldn’t really do anything even if those guys really did rape her. But that guy Arnold would’ve killed them for sure. Anyway, what happened to them?”

“A little fox attacked them when they tried to grab her highness. The fox managed to rip off three fingers from one of them.”

‘Why did she bring Neguard to the academy. This entire place is filled with Olivia’s enemies. Him transforming and causing absolute chaos is not impossible. If the commoner faction gets involved then even more trouble will follow.’

Unlike the crown or imperial faction, the commoner faction liked to be subtle. They wouldn’t cause trouble so openly. It was more like they would send a killer in the night when everyone is asleep.

Why would they want to kill a princess?

Even Grace didn’t know. She didn’t even know who the commoner faction supported between Ronia and Julius. This was because they never revealed it to anyone in the academy. But Grace was certain that they had more favor towards Ronia.

“As I thought, Olivia made a mistake keeping Arnold at a distance. The least she can do is pretend so that he can protect her. Elna will be brutally murdered since she’s not as strong as he is.”

Both of them were 5th star knight students but Arnold outranked her in every aspect of fighting capabilities. He had more aura, fighting techniques, swordsmanship experience and training under his belt.

It was a pity that Grace couldn’t make him her bodyguard since they weren’t exactly on good terms.

Rachel and Grace arrived at the classroom.

The smell of old books drifted in the air.

“Welcome to history!” A woman was standing at the board.

‘Huh? A new teacher?’

She was rather young too. From looking at her youthful skin, bright green eyes and long silky black hair, Grace could tell that she was probably as old as Anna. That was impressive for a professor to be this young. That meant that she was perhaps a top student and managed to skip grades to get her license.

“Oh, more students. I thought this was everyone.” The teacher noticed Grace and Rachel.

“Um, haven’t you heard, miss…” Grace spoke.

“You may call me professor Scarlett. Anyway, heard what?”

“Class A and B are a joint class during history.”

Grace and Rachel were from the B class while Olivia and Arnold were part of the A class. Unlike Earth’s education system, letters represented a class’ academic performance and prestige. Grace wasn’t that smart but she wasn’t dumb either. That was why she was in the B class.

Arnold and Olivia were at the top of the year which was why they were in the A class.

“J-Joint? B-but you’re over fifty students…” the professor said anxiously.

‘Poor thing. She probably won’t last two years at this school.’

The academy made a rule everyone should be treated equally. Of course, not everyone followed this rule. Grace was certain that there would come a lot of trouble this teacher’s way.

Judging by how Scarlett was sweating profusely, Grace could tell that their history professor was easy prey.

The noble delinquents will have a feast tormenting her later.

“Y-You should take your seats. Class is about to begin.”

“Okaaay~! Let’s go, Grace!” Rachel pushed Grace’s back.

Grace noticed that Rachel was dragging her towards Arnold who was casually sitting by the window and gazing outside.

“Hello, sir Arnold!” Rachel cheerfully greeted Arnold as she sat down next to him.

“Huh? Oh, hi.”

‘No, no. Why are you complicating things, Rachel?’ Grace stood there with a frown as she watched her friend obviously flirt with her archnemesis.

“You look so handsome today! Sniff, sniff. Is that a new shampoo? It smells great! One of my brothers use that exact kind!”

“Ah, thank you…” Arnold gave Grace a questioning look.

She sighed, “You should introduce yourself first before becoming so chummy with someone.”

Arnold was never in class so he wouldn’t have known that Rachel was a student from class B. Heck, he didn’t even know her personally.

“Ah! I forgot! Nice to meet you, sir Arnold! I changed my subject to history so now I’m in the same class as my best friend!” Rachel made a peace sign with her hands with a big smile on her face.

‘Who’s your best friend exactly?’

“My name is Rachel Deavia Rynald! Nice to meet you!”

“Rynald?” Arnold’s eyes widened, “You’re from the Rynald family? Your father is Winston Rynald?”

“Yeah…”

Rachel nodded her head with a wry smile.

Everyone always saw her as an annoying fly the first time they met her but their behaviors change once they knew her family name. There were always love letters in front of her dorm room whenever she went there.

Grace would know because the two of them were roommates.

Although it was hypocritical so say so, Grace thought that it wasn’t right for others to treat her like that just because she came from a famous merchant family.

Grace had a bad feeling that Arnold would also want to use this poor girl for his heinous schemes.

But her expectations were shattered.

“Hmm… I haven’t heard about you. Are you a bastard?”

“H-Hey! Don’t say that! Her father only made a mistake once!” Grace shouted at Arnold.

Although Grace saw this girl as immature and clumsy, she was fond of her innocence and friendliness. She decided to protect Rachel from anyone wanting to bully, insult or hurt her.

“Well… I am…but my mother is married to my father after it was found out that she was pregnant with me. I-I’m on good terms with my brothers and sisters, though! I’m not particularly smart but they all support me and want me to join the family dynasty once I graduate. Uhm, I’m unmarried, sir Arnold…”

‘Too much information.’ Grace couldn’t understand why this girl spoke so much.

“I see. Well, if you want to sit here then be my guest. The company will be awful though.”

Rachel’s eyes sparkled, “Okay!”

‘Oh, god… I hope he doesn’t lure this girl into his bed.’

Grace thought as she sat down as well. There were four seats next to each other in total. Rachel was sitting on the one directly next to Arnold, chatting away. One could tell from her eyes alone that she was into Arnold. He was simply nodding to whatever she said and gave quick responses.

Grace chose to sit on the far right seat.

“Now that everyone’s here I can begin!” Scarlett wrote her name on the board. “My name is Scarlett Lannir. I’m a graduate and I finished my degree in another nation. As you can already see, I’ll be replacing your previous teacher. He… err, he did some unspeakable things to one of his students. Many of you may not know the Lannir household. My father owns a city across the mountains past the forest but the city fell due to the conditions of the land. We moved here because of that and became nobles of the empire. All of this was when I was still studying this subject further. Anyway, we can get to know each other during the course of our time as professor and student.

I’ll take in everyone’s books and get to know your names by looking at the student profiles.” Scarlett headed towards her desk and grabbed a chart that was rolled up.

“There’s only two weeks of classes left before your final exam so it wasn’t necessary for me to prepare any materials. We will cover the things that aren’t relevant to the academic year but it could help you in the future. Normally we would be discussing what happened in the past but today I would like to bring up a topic that many students have been asking the academy about.”

Scarlett unrolled the chart and put it up on the board.

“The Sky God Mountain.”

Grace’s expressionless face slowly distorted.

21