Chapter 067 – Wildland XV
1.6k 2 95
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Yaga Yftha gave Teyva a few minutes to throw on what was left of her personal gear. Her [Travelers Britches] and [Traveler’s Gambeson] had been torn to shreds by constant fighting and her [Gloves of the Woodspeaker] weren’t faring much better. Her boots were still in pretty decent shape but she realized she was in dire need of new gear. Even so, they still hung on her body well enough and concealed the starry sky that had appeared on her skin and the eerie glow. There was still the matter of her face and hair but there wasn’t much she could do about that.

Master Yftha, on the other hand, was positively spotless. She wore a heavy breastplate over her chest and a maroon gambeson underneath that had been fitted to her figure. Her dark, tight-fitting slacks were tucked into jet-black boots that were bound up by dark leather straps and golden buckles. She bore a sword identical to Azrael’s on her hip as well which seemed to fit her as well as a dainty glove would on a princess. She had a regal air about her that screamed command in a way that Teyva could only dream of emulating, straight posture, high chin, and ferocious eyes. A single scar on her lip that Teyva hadn’t noticed before made it clear she wasn’t afraid to get bloody if she needed to.

The two of them walked side-by-side along the edge of the camp, there were over a dozen tents ringing a large fire pit and the caravan wagons stationed off to one side. Humans and Azar mingled cheerily, the members of Yftha’s patrol group who were on their break sitting and dining with some of the caravaneers. Teyva looked up at the moon and closed her eyes, listening to the sounds of people and the distant sounds of nature. The wind picked up and blew her hair about her face and she had to quickly pull it out of the way.

“So your name is Teyva Akura,” Yaga began, her arms crossed behind her back, “Azrael tells me you and she have been through quite a lot together,” Even her voice had an air of command, Teyva felt almost compelled to respond. The sensation of compulsion left a bad taste in her mouth, though, and the faintest rise of annoyance tickled the back of her mind. She let out a breath, trying to fight down the rising coil of tension in her chest. She’d already figured that the leader of the Wardens had been interested in vetting her, Azrael had said that Yaga had played a role in her upbringing. She was just being protective. More to the point, she wanted to know the kind of person she was bringing to see her King.

“Yes,” Teyva managed, “She saved my life, we’ve been together ever since.”

“I’ve made note of that,” Yaga said, “I haven’t heard Azrael laugh like that in a long time, the girl doesn’t have many in the way of true friends. Only sycophants and attendants back at Osan.”

“I knew she was a princess,” Teyva said, feeling the conversation open up a little.

“Don’t let her hear you say that, she hates that title,” The woman said with the faintest hint of a smile. They rounded some trees and she glanced in Teyva’s direction, Teyva noted that Yaga had to tilt her head up a bit to look her in the eye, “So tell me about yourself. Where do you hail from?”

That was a polite way of saying ‘what are you?’ and Teyva knew it. Teyva frowned and let out a sigh. There was no point in being dishonest with the woman but she hardly knew her well enough to tell her everything. “Not from here,” Teyva said, “I’m what you’d call a Labyrinthian.”

“Labyrinthian,” Yaga tested the word. She turned her gaze fully on Teyva and she felt a new sensation wash over her. It was odd, like someone had begun dumping water over her head. She felt a chill go up here spine and she started to smell something on the air. She blinked, realizing it was mana she was smelling. She felt her own mana, which had been tightly reigned in to hide her Aspects, begin to give way. She grunted and clamped down, steeling herself against the presence that was bearing down on her. She stopped and turned toward Yaga, meeting her eyes and pursing her lips. 

“If you want to know something, ask it,” Teyva rumbled, a chill in her voice. The pressure relented and she felt her whole heart slip down into her stomach as the relief came in a wash. She’d held out but she felt like she’d lost the battle anyway.

“How many do you have, Teyva Akura? Aspects.”

“Four, as of just a few hours ago,” Teyva said, doing her best to hold her ground. 

“Do all Labyrinthians assume the powers of the aspects with no need for ritual? Or is there something else about you that you’d like to share?” She pressed, stepping in closer. She was about Teyva’s height but Teyva still felt small in front of her. She wondered what level the woman was but some small instinct told her now was not a good time to check. Teyva took a pace backward and found herself against the side of one of the wagons. Teyva frowned, so that was what that felt like.

“I couldn’t say, I’m the only one left as far as I know,” Teyva breathed, feeling her nails dig into the wood behind her. She felt Queenie begin to squirm in her pocket, the little creature growing restless as it felt its mother’s discomfort. Teyva forced herself to keep her gaze locked with Yaga’s while she willed the little creature to relax. 

“Convenient,” Yaga quipped, “A mysterious woman from an as-of-now unknown race, bearing multiple aspects, comes out of a forgotten tomb, apparently weak as a babe only to bring down the mighty Lydan less than a month later. You must understand why my hackles are a little raised, young lady.”

“Next you’re going to ask what my intentions are with Azrael,” Teyva said.

“Exactly, I’m glad you’re quick on the uptake at least,” Yaga ground out, “I respect your strength and cunning. You did something that I wouldn’t dare risk my warriors to attempt. You protected Azrael and from what I understand saved her very life by nearly giving your own. That speaks to your character which is why I am tolerating you,” She said quietly. “Make no mistake, I do not know you, Teyva Akura. I know nothing of who you are and what you stand for and so I do not trust you.”

“Feelings mutual,” Teyva said, “You helped raise Azrael so I gotta thank you for that. She’s the best friend I’ve ever had. But tricking Azrael into leaving the two of us alone so you can interrogate me? Not exactly a good trait yourself, lady,” Teyva growled, “Azrael trusts you, looks up to you. Did she actually have something to do at the medical tent or did you lie to her too?” 

Yaga’s hand snapped out and grabbed the side of the wagon. She got in close, looking Teyva square in the eyes. Teyva returned the gaze and the pressure came back. The watery feeling washing over her as her tightly wound mana was pressed, twisted, and crushed beneath an evergrowing weight. It didn’t take long for the dam to burst this time, her own defenses flagging in the face of a much greater force. She felt like she was drowning, the watery sensation entering her lungs and mouth, her knees buckled and she gasped for breath, trying to push back against Yaga’s mana manipulation. 

“If you hurt her in any way, I will destroy you, little person. Do we understand one another?” Yaga growled, pushing down even harder. Teyva felt her lungs fill with imaginary water and she lost feeling in her legs. 

She coughed, forcing the feeling out long enough to speak; “That won’t be a problem,” She gasped, grasping at the wagon behind her so that she wouldn’t hit the ground. 

“Mother?” A voice came from nearby, Nephral. The pressure abated and Teyva fell into a coughing fit, trembling as the Sphinx called out her name again. Yaga gave Teyva a warning look and Teyva scowled right back at her. “Mother are you here? I sensed your mana.”

She caught her breath and shook off the trembling, clearing her throat enough to get her voice out clearly. “I’m here darling! Come to mother!” She called, standing up straight and looking Yaga in the eyes. The woman returned the gaze and walked off in silence. Teyva’s chest rose and fell as she centered herself, closing her eyes and wrapping her mana back around her body. The sickly scent faded and she finally felt what had become the comforting embrace of privacy. Nephral landed next to her and looked up with big eyes, he turned his gaze toward Yaga and back to her.

“Is all well, mother?” Nephral asked, “Lady Azrael was looking for you.” 

Teyva glanced at Yaga’s disappearing figure and cleared her throat; “I’m fine, just tired. I absorbed a new stone today so I’m still getting used to the feeling,” She lied, “You said Azrael was looking for me?”

“Yes mother, she was following me as I searched, she shouldn’t be far behind,” Nephral said.

Teyva’s eyes widened and she rushed to the edge of the wagon, sliding to a stop when she saw Azrael standing there. The look on her friend’s face was absolutely crushing. The stoic sometimes goofy young woman had been reduced to red eyes and tears. A sad smile played across her pretty face. “These new ears are really good,” Azrael croaked.

95