Chapter 085 – Heart II
1.7k 5 89
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The descent into the catacombs beneath the city was far easier than Teyva had initially imagined it was going to be. It turned out the floor lifter could take them all the way down for the most part. Teyva had wondered where exactly the catacombs were, given that the city itself sat atop a large body of water. Her questions were answered when the lift went deeper and deeper into the ground, well past what she imagined was the depth of the lakebed. When the lift stopped they stepped out onto a surprisingly well-lit platform overlooking an architectural wonder. 

All around them off-gray stone had been used to construct what appeared to be an open-air entrance complex. Two sets of stairs branched off of the platform and descended into a large courtyard where benches were scattered around a long ruined statue of a person. Teyva’s lips thinned when she eyed the foot of the statue from far above, the Labyrinthian text carved into it obvious to her. She rubbed her arms and looked away, focusing her attention on the far wall. Every inch of the once smooth surface had been carved into various statues and figures depicting various themes and ideas. There was one of a man standing with his hand stretched to the sky while another had a man weeping. 

At ground level, near the center of the carvings, was a round door that looked like it had once been chained shut. Chains hung limply around it. Teyva glanced toward  Azrael who was hopping up and down with nervous energy. She rested her hand on her weapon and thumbed it a few times before turning to Argus.

“This is as far as I go,” Argus said.

“What?” Azrael asked, “What do you mean?”

“The King only gave you lot permission to enter Nulakam. I’m just making sure you get through the front door safely,” He said, scratching his head. “It’s a pain, but rules are rules.”

“Didn’t see you as the type to heed that kind of thing,” Teyva pointed out.

“You’d be surprised, we bicker now and then but the King and I are good. I won’t let him down for anything,” Argus said and stepped to the edge of the platform. He pointed toward the door. “Past that door, the dead walk the halls. There are floors and floors of the things before you get to the library itself. Hope you brought plenty of supplies.”

“Tiisha gave me a month’s worth of trail rations for the both of us before we left,” Azrael said, “We have enchanted waterskins too.”

“Medicine?” He asked.

“Of course,” Azrael quipped back, putting her hands on her hips. “What do you take me for?”

He grinned at her and ruffled her hair, “Just checkin’ kid,” he turned to Teyva and cocked an eyebrow. “Watch this brat for me, I’d be one pissed-off son of a bitch if something happened to her.”

“We’ll all have drinks when we get back,” Teyva said.

“Looking forward to it,” Argus said, “Though maybe something non-alcoholic for the lightweight here,” He said, jerking his thumb in Azrael’s direction. The woman groaned and started pushing him towards the lift door, muttering about old men under her breath. He burst into laughter up until he was firmly inside the lift. “Good luck you two.”

They both thanked him and just like that, he was gone. Azrael stared at the empty lift tower for a few moment before glancing back at Teyva. “We should go, I want to get this done.”

“Two weeks,” Teyva said.

“Huh?”

“That’s the soonest he can get back.”

Azrael’s face went stony and she looked down at the ground. Teyva walked over to her friend and pulled her into a hug. For a moment Azrael didn’t move but eventually, she returned the embrace. “I miss him already.”

“I know,” Teyva said, pulling back, “He’ll be fine, I have a good feeling.”

“You better not just be saying that,” Azrael shot, letting out a sigh.

“Nephral? What do you think, sweetheart?” Teyva asked.

The drowsy sphinx yawned and stretched his legs as he drew himself out of yet another nap. The lazy feline grumbled and peered down at Teyva from his perch on her shoulder. “I have little doubt about Sir Elat’s abilities, Lady Azrael,” The sphinx said. “You also have the presence of Master Yftha and The Marble to consider.”

Azrael pulled away from Teyva and looked at the feline, “You’re right. She’s way stronger than either of us.”

“What level is she, anyway?” Teyva asked, “I never checked.”

“I did while she wasn’t looking,” Azrael admitted, “Fourteen.”

“Fourteen!” Teyva blurted, “She’s a match for pretty much anything in the Wildlands!” She paused and tilted her head a little toward Azrael, “What about the others and your dad?”

Azrael scratched her nose and smiled weakly, “Well… Barin is Fourteen as well, Argus is Fifteen, and Tiisha is Sixteen.”

“Tiisha?” Teyva said, surprised, “I figured Argus would be the highest. What about the King?”

“I couldn’t read it,” Azrael admitted.

“Which implies that his Majesty is at least eleven levels higher than both of you,” Nephral said, his tail flicking left and right. “A mighty being indeed.”

Teyva and Azrael went quiet for a moment, “That puts things into perspective,” Teyva muttered.

“Yes it did,” Azrael said. 

“I wonder how much effort it takes for someone without the ability to gain experience to level up?” Teyva said thoughtfully, nodding toward the steps while she checked her satchel. The Mockeries were sleeping quietly, waiting for their mother’s order to do what needed to be done.

Azrael crossed her arms, “It took years for me to reach level five,” Azrael said, “I can only imagine what the Four went through to get to where they are.”

“Mother,” Nephral interjected, “I do not like the smell of this place, it reeks of death.”

Azrael nodded, her nose wrinkling, “This is a foul place, but the rot came and went a long time ago.”

Teyva glanced toward the door as they descended the stairs. It shuddered once and she cleared her throat. Azrael nodded and drew her weapon while Teyva shifted her arms into the [Grasp of the Tomb Guardian]. The two of them drew closer as the door began to creak and groan until finally, it rolled out of the way. Nephral let out a low growl as a pair of tall, lanky skeletons stumbled out into the courtyard. Both of them were thin-looking, even for skeletons, their bodys wrapped in loose-fitting robes that had been torn here and there. Each of them carried an old-looking sword in their clawed hands. The two monsters examined their surroundings before turning to look up at the stairs where Teyva and Azrael were descending. Their eyes smoldered with a faint blue light that made Teyva’s skin crawl. Their heads were angular with narrow eye sockets and rigid jaws. Something churned in her stomach.

“Labyrinthians,” She breathed.

“Are you serious?” Azrael blurted, readying herself. 

“I’m positive,” Teyva said and pulled out her journal to confirm it, Azrael did the same.

[Skeletal Guardsman] - [Labyrinthian Undead]  - Hostile - Level 5

HP: 100% MP: 100% SP: 100%

One of the creatures pointed its weapon at the pair and rasped out a spiteful cry. Teyva whipped out her hands, conjuring up a [Pale Bolt] and sending it hurtling in the wicked thing’s direction. The magic splashed across its body, spreading frost over its robes but otherwise leaving it unharmed. Teyva cursed, she figured it was a possibility but she had to test to be sure. “My [Pale Dawn] magic isn’t going to work on them. You can’t use death magic on something that’s already dead,” She muttered. “That means my silencing aura is probably useless too.”

“Then lean on what you do have!” Azrael called, already racing down the stairs toward her target.

Teyva followed after her, using [Simple Shift] to change her arm into the [Razorchain of the Bound One]. She marveled at how fast she was moving, her body feeling incredibly light, even with the new gear on. She reached the base of the stairs in a matter of seconds, just a few moments behind Azrael. The Warden crashed into the first of the skeletons, bringing her sword up in a diagonal arc that knocked the monster’s sword out of the way. She drove her boot into its chest next, sending it staggering backward. Behind it, its comrade was already moving in a tight circle to get on Azrael’s flank.

Teyva whipped out her arm, putting her back into the swing as she poured mana into her razorchain, she aimed directly at the monster’s head, bearing her teeth and daring it to try anything funny with her friend. It turned just in time to have it’s head knocked clean off, crushing the ancient bone into nothing but a fine powder. Teyva blinked, Azrael froze, even the other skeleton stared at the collapsing pile of bones. Teyva pulled her chain back and twirled it while a smile slowly crossed her face. “Seventy strength is great!” Teyva laughed. 

Azrael turned back to the stunned skeleton and thrust her sword up and into its mouth. The blade cracked clean through the back of its skull before being pulled out. She whipped her weapon down and glanced over her shoulder at Teyva. 

“They’re weak!” She laughed.

“I don’t think that’ll matter much!” Teyva called, spotting five more of the monsters charging out of the doorway. “Azrael, move!”

89