Chapter 117 – Respite VII
1.3k 4 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Correction, it was worse. Teyva looked mournfully in the tall mirror while the attendants fussed around her. The traditional gown was all looks and no function. The bodice was white as her skin and lined with silver along the edges. The whole thing was stiff and made her back hurt, that wasn’t even mentioning how it compressed her chest. It could have been worse, she supposed, given the nature of the Siren Stone. The shoulders of the gown flowed outward dramatically and cascaded down into flowing sleeves that did a great job of hiding Teyva’s toned physique. From her waist, the dress split at her thigh and fell to the ground before seeming to float delicately just a few millimeters above the surface. Stars above, they made her wear heels too!

The whole ensemble was brought together by the fabric itself, which was somehow able to allow the glow of her skin through while keeping it tight against the surface of the dress. It made her look like she had some kind of luminous halo around her. Teyva tried to restrain a groan as the attendants adjusted her bodice again, making sure it was fitted properly. Instead, she peeked at the mirror and spotted Azrael standing just off to the side, her arms crossed and an amused look on her face. Unlike Teyva, Azrael wore a slimming button-over tunic with a tail that fell to her knees. She wore dark slacks and a pair of shined boots along with it. Teyva scowled at her through the mirror and Azrael raised her hand to her mouth to cover a snicker.

When the attendants finally gave her some space she looked herself up and down and sighed, she’d have to tolerate it. She admitted she looked good in it, fabulous even, but it just wasn’t her thing. In contrast, Nephral sat on the floor staring up at her with wonder in his eyes.  She glanced at one of the attendants as a thought occurred to her, “Do you think it would be a problem if I accessorize? I think it’ll match with everything.”

The attendant hesitated, “If you wish, my lady, but if it is not suitable we may ask you to remove it for the sake of your first impression on the clan nobles.”

“Noted,” Teyva said, and held out her hand, she considered her talons and after a moment’s thought used [Alter Self] to change them to silver. One of the attendants gasped, but she wasn’t done. She opened her inventory and pulled out the [Masque of the Newborn Queen] before slipping it on over her face, ignoring the faint buzzing her head. The veil fell over her lips and she turned to look down on one of the young women who were surrounding her. “Well?”

“It most certainly matches well with the gown, my lady, it adds a certain mystique to your personage,” The attendant said.

“You look marvelous, Lady Akura,” Another insisted.

“Let the walls themselves sing of your beauty, mother,” Nephral said in awe.

“Okay, okay, enough, thank you ladies, Nephral you charmer,” Teyva said, holding up her hands, “Next time I’m going to have some warning about this thing and wear some pants,” She grumbled. She paused after she said it and let out a long breath, “I’m sorry ladies, I’m not used to dresses. I don’t mean to be rude. You worked so hard on preparing this for me. Thank you very much for everything.”

The attendants all gave her a starry-eyed look before quickly moving out of her way as she turned around, stepping down from the pedestal and looking at Azrael, “My knight,” She said, trying to put on some airs. She might as well.

“My Lady,” Azrael said with a low bow, she stood up straight, “They aren’t wrong, it suits you.”

Teyva rolled her eyes, “You can’t run in a dress.”

“You’re not supposed to run in a dress,” Azrael pointed out, deadpan. “Nephral, help me with your mother,” She said, glancing down at the sphinx who offered a feline approximation of a shrug.

“See? There’s the problem!” Teyva groaned.

“Get used to it Tey, you’re part of the family now,” She said, “Who knows? You might like it after you see everyone’s reactions.”

Teyva looked down at herself, “You think so?”

Azrael raised an eyebrow, “Oh boy, you poor thing, come on, do you remember what we practiced?”

Teyva nodded, “We spent all morning on it, I walk out with you once we’re introduced. We stand in front of him and then part, sitting on either side. Then Paraklytus, Elat, and Batel,” Teyva rattled off, “After that, we just sit and try to look important, right?”

Azrael snorted, “That’s the gist of it, yeah, you’ll be fine,” She said, almost more for herself than for Teyva. “Come on, let’s go.”

“Just a moment,” Teyva said, turning back to her room and striding toward the crib. It was awkward walking in heels but she managed well enough. She stopped at the edge and peered down into the sleeping baby’s face. Stella was as quiet as ever, mumbling in her sleep as she lay on her back, her blanket wrapped snugly around her. Teyva reached down and touched one of the little girl’s antennae, “Be good for Abba, dearie,” She whispered, before leaning in and placing a kiss on the girl’s head. She stood up and turned around, catching the smile in Azrael’s eyes. “What?”

“Nothing,” Azrael said, waving for Teyva to follow her.

They stepped out of Teyva’s room and into the common room. Elat was the first to react, staring dumbfounded at Teyva before turning his attention to Azrael and smiling at her. Azrael winked at him as Teyva stepped into full view. Nephral stayed close at her heels. For once he seemed energized and eager to stay nearby. Teyva was glad that at least Nephral could accompany her. The mockeries, residing in her satchel, wouldn’t be something she could keep on her person when she went to face the nobles. Nor could The Marble tag along. She felt a little naked without her usual cadre of summons present, but she’d make due.

She turned her attention away from Nephral and on to Batel who stood in a tunic not dissimilar from Azrael's. His, however, was off-white and was fitted with a decorative chest plate along with decorative metal greaves on his legs. His hair had been brushed into a comb-over which put his glowing blue eyes on full view. She turned to Paraklytus who had, to her surprise, really cleaned up. He wore a hooded black satin robe that was lined with silver. The robe was accompanied by a sash that crossed around his waist and up over his shoulders before falling down, like that of a priest. Beneath the hood, he wore a silver mask that gleamed a little when he turned his head. She supposed it made sense for him to wear a mask, they didn’t want to frighten the nobles too badly.

The two men looked in her direction and stood transfixed for a moment, taking her in. Teyva frowned and looked away, crossing her arms, “Say something you idiots,” She grunted.

“Not even my sister could hold a candle to you,” Batel said emphatically. 

“Incomparable,” Paraklytus rasped. “Remember what I told you, hold your head high, my lady but do not lord yourself over those within, you are a leader. You are not a despot, be kind when you can and stand your ground when you must.”

Teyva’s lips twitched into a faint smile beneath the veil. That wasn’t a bad compliment, and it was fairly good advice.  As much as she hated Teyva Rani, she had been a real queen and one hell of a beauty. She turned her gaze on them again and nodded before taking a breath, “Thank you, gentlemen, now let's go, we have a ceremony to attend.”

The small party gathered at the lift door and after a brief trip arrived in the passage behind the throne. The doors opened and Teyva could just barely see a huge crowd in the lower part of the throne room. They all had taken a knee, their eyes downcast. Spread out across the raised part of the room on either side of the throne were the backs of the four. In particular, Yaga was wearing her Warden uniform that matched Azrael's. To the immediate left of the door, the severe woman who lead the King’s guard stood at attention. She glanced sidelong at Teyva and Azrael and gave them both a gentle nod to get ready.

Teyva took a breath, the nerves finally beginning to creep up her spine and the butterflies forming in her stomach. She clamped down on them, why was she nervous now? She’d fought monsters! She forced down the feeling and took another steadying breath before nodding at Azrael. Teyva turned her attention to the back of the throne and the two chairs on either side of it. She’d be sitting there in just a few moments. She forced herself to remember the routine they’d practiced, going over it in her head one more time. 

“Princess Azrael Unabi, Warden of the People, Liberator of the Balthin Sea, and Conqueror of Nulakam! Princess Teyva Akura, Queen Mother of the Akurai, Liberator of the Balthin Sea, Titan Slayer, and Conqueror of Nulakam!”

Teyva froze and shot a panicked look over at Azrael, “They didn’t say anything about giving us titles!” She whispered.

“I didn’t know either!” Azrael shot back.

“Ladies!” The royal guard captain hissed.

Teyva and Azrael immediately squared their shoulders and stepped out side by side. Teyva kept her face forward, trying not to glance over at Yaga despite wanting to see her lover’s reaction. The two of them strode toward the back of the throne, Teyva on the left and Azrael on the right. When they were within five paces they split off, curving around and for the first time putting themselves within full view of the Azar nobles. The crowd stared up in silence, some of their eyes going wide at the sight of Teyva accompanied by Nephral. The two women stopped at either side of the King’s throne and turned to face him, dropping into low bows. The King kept a stoic face, gesturing for each of them to sit.

Both of them inclined their heads and then stood, moving to their respective seats. The ceremony continued. 

“Archmagus Paraklytus and Knight Captain Batel Rani, attending to Lady Akura!” The royal guard captain called out.

Paraklytus and Batel were soon standing behind Teyva. Paraklytus’ looming form cast a bit of a shadow over her which only emphasized the glow. Teyva kept her eyes forward even as she made an effort to make a quick scan of those present. She knew none of these faces, though she could tell that they were all separated into four columns. The group on the left had a bluish tone to their skin, the next one over had a reddish tone, further to the right had a yellowish tint to their grey skin and the last group had a greenish tone. They must be the clan that Azrael and Yaga were descended from, the Eastern Clan.

She made eye contact with a few of them, though she doubted they could tell where she was looking because of her mask. None of them showed any immediate emotional reaction, except for one. He had the same grey-green skin as the other members of the eastern clan. His face was familiar, but it was the look of barely contained fury and spite that she recognized more. He had the same rage face as Yaga. That must be her younger brother. Teyva made a note of him and pulled her gaze away as Elat was called out and he made his place behind Azrael. Azrael made a point of reaching up behind her and taking his hand for a moment before returning it to her lap.

No one spoke for several seconds before the King rose to his feet.

“Family chiefs of the Cardinal Tribes! Welcome to Osan!” He bellowed, his voice amplified-probably by some kind of magic, “Once again we meet on this day to begin a celebration that we have observed for generations. The first unification of our tribes under the first Azar King! Our people have lived with the memory of that day in their hearts, through trial and tribulation we have persevered, dogged in our pursuit of that next sunrise. Now we are stronger than ever! This celebration marks the longest our peoples have remained united in recorded history, truly a celebration of the age!”

The applause that filled the room was deafening. The King allowed it to continue for a few heartbeats before raising his hands for silence. “Members of the Four! Please call upon your first elder, so I can recognize them!”

Argus Wo, who stood furthest to the left in front of his kin, stepped forward. “First Elder Peka Ji,” He commanded, and an elderly woman stepped forward from the gathered group to stand in front of the king.

Next, Barin Kot stepped forward and addressed his brethren, “First Elder Tarus Pell,” his words drawing a wiry-looking man in robes out from his own group to join the aged Peka Ji.

Tiisha stepped forward and raised her commanding voice, “First Elder Miliard,” she called, and a burly man with graying hair stepped past his associates, his eyes fixed on the King.

Finally, Yaga stepped forward and hesitated before calling out to the gathered Eastern Azar, “First Elder Niko Yftha,” She called, and her brother pulled himself from his position near the head of the group and strode forward, head held high. He was the youngest of the First Elders to present themselves to the King.

“Niko,” Thrake said, looking down at the young man, “You’ve risen quickly.”

Niko inclined his head and raised his hand to his heart, “By the blood of my people, my liege.”

Thrake chuckled and turned to the others, “You’ve grown old, Peka, what happened to that unmatched beauty?”

“I exchanged it for wisdom, highness,” The elderly woman said with a playful grin.

“MIlliard,” The King said shortly.

“Majesty,” The greying bulldog of a man grunted.

“Still up to your old tricks, Taurus?” The king asked, turning to the first elder of the southern Azar.

“You wound me,” He chuckled in response, “I reserve my pranks for my grandchildren now.”

“I would love to meet them,” Thrake laughed, “You know Azrael of course?”

“I do! She has grown into a fine woman, such ferocity in those eyes!” Taurus said, giving Azrael a respectful bow.

“It’s good to see you too, First Elder Pell,” Azrael said in response, “I miss your games.”

“A round of cards, then, when we have a moment,” Taurus responded.

Thrake cleared his throat, “And this is Teyva Akura, whom I’ve adopted into my house as Azrael’s sister,” The king said, gesturing to Teyva who had been forcing herself to sit up as straight as possible.

Teyva inclined her head to the old man so that their eyes could meet despite her mask, “It’s an honor, First Elder Pell.”

“The honor is mine! They call you a Queen Mother and I have heard about the death of the Lydan. So that was your doing?” He asked, his eyes twinkling.

“My children, the Akurai People do, yes,” Teyva said, throwing everything she could into the act, she was already beginning to feel sweat bead on her lower back. “I played a role in its demise, First Elder, but the battle was one of deception rather than raw power.”

“Nevertheless,” The old man crooned, “I am impressed.”

“Why do they call you mother?” Came a question from the left, the elderly Peka Ji leaned on her cane and stared at Teyva intently. Teyva swallowed, wondering how much she should reveal about the origins of the Akurai people and how much she should omit. 

She smiled from behind her veil and inclined her head to the First Elder of the Western Azar, “When I found them, they were lost. I gave them new life and new purpose,” Teyva said carefully, “Not unlike a rebirth.”

“Aha, a mother in metaphor,” The old woman said, squinting at Teyva, “Curious.”

Azrael had warned her that they would probably pepper her with questions; she’d been more or less ready, but the intensity of their gazes made it difficult to answer with comfort. She took a breath just as Niko stepped forward, his eyes burning with hate.

“I have my doubts, about all of it,” He said flatly, “Who are you really that you can place yourself at his majesty’s side? You are not one of our people! Do not think we do not see your horns, devil, or your monstrous eyes. I do not recognize you and neither should any of us!” He declared, drawing gasps throughout the room, “It is well known that Princess Azrael has refused the role of Crown Princess. Which makes you the next candidate! How convenient! I for one will not stand for a creature not born of our blood to sit on the Pinnacle Throne!”

“Watch your tongue, First Elder,” Thrake commanded.

“Forgive me, my king, but I shall not!” Niko barked, “What manner of spell has she cast on Osan that no one can see her for what she is? We of the Cardinal Clans are not blind!”

“No spell has been cast on our people, First Elder Niko,” Barin Kot said, his voice cutting through the conversation. Everyone in the hall turned to look at the wiry magi who canted his head to the right, staring down at the young man. “The only one under a spell here is you, a spell of ego and delusion, the King bade you watch your tongue,” He ground out and cast his eyes in Yaga’s direction. “Your brother does not know his place, Master Yftha.” 

Yaga’s eyes narrowed at Niko, “So it would seem.”

Niko stared at his sister, aghast, and then turned to look at Teyva again. He tilted his head forward in a glare, “Whatever is said, there are those other than I that do not acknowledge you as one of us. You have not earned-”

He was cut off by the King who leaned forward in his seat, “This is your last chance, Niko Yftha!” He bellowed, “Silence!” Niko shrank back, his eyes wide as something seemed to press against his body, he went pale and let out a gasp as he dropped to the ground, coughing. “Let that shake you to your senses, boy!”

Niko pressed his head to the ground, “Forg-”

“I said silence! I do not want to hear your empty platitudes!” The king growled, “Although, you may have something of a point,” He stroked his chin and leaned back in his throne, glancing over at Teyva who returned his gaze. What was he thinking? She forced herself to sit still.

“My Daughter, your achievements and accolades have taken place away from the eyes of our people. Indeed, they do not know you as well as your sister, the four, and myself, would you agree to that?” Thrake asked pointedly.

The eyes of the chamber were now on her, she let out a breath and forced herself to nod. She had a feeling she knew where he was going with this. She turned fully to face the King, “I agree with you, your Majesty. Perhaps I should accept a challenge from your grace to prove my worth to the Azar people?” Teyva looked past the King to Azrael who smiled and nodded, Teyva felt relief wash over her. She didn’t know how much longer she could keep this facade up! Fake it till you make it was one thing, but this was insane!

“The festival games begin tomorrow, I ask you to participate,” he paused and made a strange face then turned to the crowd, “As a matter of fact, in celebration of our new trade agreement with the northern elves and the easing tensions with the orcish people, I do believe we should allow any and all to participate in this year’s games. Let the outsiders prove their worth and let us show them exactly what we are capable of! What say you, Cardinal Clans?” He bellowed.

There was a stunned silence, then an eruption of approving cheers. Even Niko, who had been on his knees, rose and smiled up at the king. His eyes turned, though, and he focused on Teyva. Teyva returned his gaze as the din grew. His smile grew wider and he bore his teeth. Teyva could practically taste his malice. Teyva felt her stomach twist and turn, her fingers tensed against the arms of the chair and she leaned forward to return his gaze. 

Behind her, Paraklytus rasped out a question, “Are you alright with this, my lady?”

Maybe it was the aspects, maybe she had finally gone crazy, but in the moment there was only one thing she could say, “Are you kidding? I’m looking forward to it.”

She didn’t care how strong Yaga said he was, she was going to crush him like a bug.

75