Chapter 121 – Festival IV
1.2k 4 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Teyva didn’t have long to prepare before the first fight. She needed to pull Paraklytus aside and quickly. Teyva found the Lich browsing the merchants who were waiting outside the city gates, the looming cloaked figure hard to miss. When she reached him she found that he was shopping for what looked like cat treats and toys. “Having fun there, Perry?” She asked, stopping next to him and examining what he’d purchased. The lich turned to her and his eyes flashed delightedly from behind his mask.

“Oh yes, Majesty! I certainly am!” He laughed, “I was thinking about adopting soon, perhaps a short-hair?” He mused, looking down into the basket. He looked up from it and canted his head, “How did the race go?”

“Last place among the top sixteen, I couldn’t keep up,” Teyva grumbled, crossing her arms.

“You will still be able to participate in the next stage, then?” Paraklytus pointed out.

“Yeah, true, but it’s a blow. I need to do better, which is why I came to talk to you. Can you come aside with me for a bit?” She pressed, gesturing to a quiet spot around the side of the city gates. As they walked she used the chat function to explain what had happened with the Siren aspect and how her new magic worked. Paraklytus was overjoyed as he followed her over to the spot only to let out a surprising growl when one of the guards approached.

“Um, Princess? This part of the wall is off limits right now,” He said quickly, “I apologize, it helps us keep an eye on folks.”

Teyva frowned and scratched her head, then a thought occurred to her, “Do you mind if we use the training room in your barracks for our conversation?” She asked.

He shrugged, “I don’t see why not, ma’am,” He pointed to a building not far from them, “It’s right there ma’am, please go on in, I’m sure no one will mind.”

“Thank you, dearie,” She smiled, offering a shallow bow to him. The guardsman flushed and bowed three or four times before he dismissed himself. Teyva looked at Paraklytus, “At least the guards like me.”

“If only they were a bit less rude,” Paraklytus grunted, “Very well, I will wait till we have more privacy.”

They arrived at the barracks only a few minutes later, explaining to the guard sitting outside what they were there for. The guard was more than happy to open the training room but warned them not to go crazy as the room itself was only protected against minor magics. Teyva assured him they would be cautious and slipped inside with Paraklytus. She and the Lich found themselves in a long room with runes carved into the stone walls. There were targets at the end of the room that had been punctured numerous times with arrows. Teyva turned to the Lich and beamed at him. Nephral mimicking her expression from her shoulder.

“Where do we start?” She asked.

“Show me fire, first,” He asked eagerly.

“Alright,” She said, holding out her palm and uttered the word in Labyrinthian, “<Fire>.” A flame burst into life on her palm, roaring with heat until it went out when she clenched her fist. The lich brought his hands together delightedly, he couldn’t clap so that was the closest approximation he could manage.

“Magnificent! What versatility, you say you can combine two words at a time? Perhaps there are operative words as well? Let’s start with the six basic elements, ensure that you know those to start with. You have Fire, there is also Water, Wind, Earth, Life, and Death.”

Teyva rolled her jaw and looked at her palm, she went through each word one at a time. Water created a brief gout of water that erupted from her palm before splashing onto the ground. Wind sent her hair and Perry’s cloak flapping about. Earth created a rock, which amused her for some reason. Life caused her fingertips to glow and for an unsettling warm feeling to rush through her body. When she said death, the brilliant white light of life turned pale and cold, ice forming on her fingertips.

You have learned a new spell!

[Aspect Word: Water] - By utilizing this word you can create water at the cost of mana. Mana cost varies based on the shape and purity of the water. Additional words are needed to create more advanced or complicated spells.

[Aspect Word: Wind] - By utilizing this word you can create wind at the cost of mana. Mana cost varies based on the shape and intensity of the wind. Additional words are needed to create more advanced or complicated spells.

[Aspect Word: Earth] - By utilizing this word you can create earth at the cost of mana. Mana cost varies based on the shape and strength of the earth. Additional words are needed to create more advanced or complicated spells.

[Aspect Word: Life] - By utilizing this word you can create life energy at the cost of mana. Mana cost varies based on the shape and intensity of the life energy. Additional words are needed to create more advanced or complicated spells.

[Aspect Word: Death] - By utilizing this word you can create death energy at the cost of mana. Mana cost varies based on the shape and intensity of the death energy. Additional words are needed to create more advanced or complicated spells.

“It would appear that at the moment the word effects are limited to the direction you are pointing your hand, take that into consideration,” The lich added, rubbing his chin. “Let’s try an operative word.”

“Operative word?” She asked.

“I’ve studied books about word magic before,” Paraklytus explained, “I’ve never met someone with the ability to use it though. Try an adjective of some kind in combination with one of the other words.” The lich instructed.

“Got it,” Teyva said, turning to look at one of the distant targets. She didn’t want to use fire magic here since that would cause a lot of damage. Instead, she let out a breath and rasped; “<Big Wind>!” Pointing her palm at the target. She felt her mana drop suddenly and a column of wind erupted from her palm, tearing across the room and crashing into the target, leaving it in splinters. Teyva looked at her palm and then up at Paraklytus. “Uh… whoops.”

Paraklytus was practically trembling with excitement, “Try another!”

Teyva licked her lips and held out her hand, “<Cold Water>.” She breathed, and a block of ice formed in her hand.

“Infinite combinations, what wonders!” Paraklytus crooned, “Very good, it will take some practice and experimentation but I am certain you can make good use of it.”

“I’ll have to test it on the go,” Teyva said, rubbing her fingers, “The first round of the fights is in a few hours.”

Paraklytus glanced at her and she could practically feel his amusement. “Then we have little time to waste, my lady. We must try as many combinations as possible! I will of course take notes.”

“Why do I feel like you are enjoying this more than mother is, lich?” Nephral asked.

“Poppycock!” The lich declared, “I am of course doing this all for our lady’s benefit!”

“Right,” Teyva laughed dubiously. “Let’s get started.”

Teyva and Paraklytus worked together for as long as they dared, pushing all the way to the very edge of the clock. She didn’t know whether or not she would go first in the competition and was loathe to be late on top of being last place among the sixteen in the race. When they were satisfied, for the most part, the two of them quickly left the barracks training hall in ruins. They apologized to the rather frazzled guard and explained they would do everything they could to help clean up after the competition was over. Before the guard could even get a word in the two of them were off, hurrying to find someone who knew where to go next. Fortunately, Garnett was in the know and he pointed them to an arena that was built into the lower level of the city. They’d have to walk a distance but it wasn’t hard to find.

When they arrived and pushed through the crowd, she and Paraklytus found themselves at a welcome desk. The Azar behind the desk urged Teyva to follow a pathway to the left while Paraklytus who was a guest of the Royal Family could find his seats up a stairwell to the right. With a quick wish of good fortune the two parted ways and Teyva hurried to find the room where the other fighters were waiting. When she pushed open the door she was relieved to see that not everyone had arrived yet. Counting heads, Niko and Kastel were still missing. She frowned and made her way over to the waving Azrael, sitting with her and Conrad.

This was the first moment that Teyva could take a breath and have a good look at the Fallen Knight. Conrad had decided to forgo his beard and moustache, his long pale hair had regained its jet-black color and hung loosely around his head. His face was thin and would be appealing if she was in any way interested in men. His eyes were a deep, murky red with sparks of yellow inside. Instead of armor he wore simple clothes that smelled faintly of crude oil. He looked up at Teyva and offered her a grim smile, “Looking forward to it?” He asked.

Teyva leaned on Azrael who glared at Conrad, “Definitely, I just hope I don’t end up against the King in the first round. That’d be embarrassing.”

“I’m certain you’ll put up a fight at least,” Azrael laughed, patting Teyva’s shoulder, “You definitely wouldn’t win though.”

The door opened and the terrible duo slipped inside the waiting room, scanning the room and nodding politely to the King and the Four who were standing together off to one side. Niko glowered at Teyva but otherwise kept his mouth shut. Smart. He and Kastel sat not far from them while the sounds of cheering outside grew louder and louder. A few of the Azar she’d never met before who had placed ahead of her in the race shifted a bit when they saw her step inside. She paid them little mind, scratching at her chin. What sounded like Karx’s voice bellowed over the crowd outside followed by another roar that nearly shook the waiting room. Just how many people were going to be watching this? Teyva swallowed and felt her nerves flare up again.

Teyva sat down on a bench and rubbed her hands together, letting out a few steadying breaths. The crowds cheers died down a little and she glanced again at a door that looked like it lead up and into the arena stands. That’s probably where the fighters would be watching the other matches from. She looked up at the ceiling and closed her eyes. Before Azrael could try to console her, another door opened in the waiting room and everyone present looked up to see Karx standing there with a grin on his face. “The first match has been decided. Your Majesty, you and Master Yaga Yftha are the first to face one another.”

King Thrake put his hands on his hips and turned to Yaga who smirked at him, “I’ve been looking forward to this.”

“So have I, time to settle the old score, eh?” He grunted.

“Don’t hold back, Little T,” Yaga teased, walking over to Karx, Thrake joined her soon after.

Karx looked up at those who remained. “There is a viewing box for the fighters up the stairwell behind you,” He pointed to the third door that Teyva had noticed earlier, leading out of the waiting room. You can rest there and watch the match.”

Teyva didn’t waste any time, neither did Azrael. The two of them were the first to the door, eager to get up the stairs. When they stepped out into the fighter’s viewing box they realized that they were just above ground level, a glowing barrier rippling across the open space between the ceiling and the rail. Teyva rested her hands on the rail and peered out over the dirt field that made up the fighting space. Above it, she could see rows and rows of seats filled to capacity with people. “That is a lot of people,” Teyva mumbled.

“No kidding,” Azrael breathed, “It was pretty close to full last year, but this is crazy.”

“Not intimidated are you?” Conrad asked, leaning on the rail, “I’ve fought in a place like this before.”

Azrael barked out a laugh, “Hardly!” The two stared one another down with Teyva in the middle. Teyva let out a groan and leaned forward to watch as the King and Yaga stepped out onto the field amidst a roar of cheers.

66