Chapter 128 – Festival XI
1.2k 2 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite the best efforts of the Osan Guard and the agents of the Pinnacle, word spread about Teyva’s merciful act toward Niko like wildfire. Soon it was all anyone could talk about and the change in attitude toward the enigmatic and often frightening woman was more than significant. Thrake and Tiisha had arrived at the viewing box ahead of schedule, taking a moment with one another before their battle. The King himself looked tired, he had greater concerns these days. According to his spies in Katal, the Count whom had been his only opponent thus far had gained a surprising amount of support among the nobility and had rallied an initial force earlier than anticipated. Seasonal constraints would still hamper him, but now it seemed like the attacking force prepared for Osan would be twice or even three times what was initially estimated.

“You’re brooding again,” Tiisha murmured, drawing him out of his thoughts.

“Am I?” He forced out a chuckle, “It would seem that the times weigh heavily on my mind even during this celebration.”

“The report from Solstice,” Tiisha nodded, “I have a suggestion on that front, if you’ll indulge me.”

“Anything at this point,” He ground out, resting his chin on his hands.

“You had planned to send the girls to the Elves before winter. Perhaps send them sooner?” She offered, leaning back and crossing her legs. “You and Himat are friends, are you not?”

The King chuckled, “I doubt anyone would see our squabbling as any form of friendship.”

“Have the girls ask for his aid in the form of a sealed missive. They don’t need to know what they’re bringing to him, only that it is important,” She said.

He looked at her, “And the Elves are just supposed to trust her? There are casters skilled enough these days to falsify my seal, it isn’t like it is difficult to find an example. She is not Azar either,” He frowned a little, “I’m ashamed to say it but I do not trust our friends to the north to be as welcoming as we are.”

“Then she needs to bear with her an accolade,” Tiisha said, turning her gaze to the arena.

Thrake looked out at the arena and considered her words. His eyes widened and he turned to her, “You suggest we forfeit together? What kind of example will that set?” He demanded.

“Thrake,” Tiisha chided him and nodded back out at the assembled crowd, “They aren’t here for you, I’m afraid.”

Members of the audience were carrying in hand-painted signs, some were wearing faux horns on their heads, there were folk with their skin painted to look like Teyva’s, glittering and white. Supporters for both Azrael and Teyva filled the arena stands, their eyes filled with hope and excitement. He let out a breath and hung his head, shaking it a little. He looked up at the stoic woman next to him and smiled. “You complete me.”

“I know,” Tiisha said with an arrogant grin.

“Together then?” He asked.

“When our match starts, we’ll put on a little show and then bow out, just so the people aren’t entirely disappointed,” She said, glancing in his direction. “Does that work for you, my king?”

He nodded and looked back out to the crowd.

“As long as one of them wins this competition and demonstrates their strength,” She continued, “The elves watching will go home with stories of what they’d seen. By the time the girls arrive, the way will be paved for them. Combined with your seal and perhaps a few members of the Pinnacle Guard, they will have no trouble seeing Himat.”

“Very well,” He said, straightening his back. Behind them, the door opened to the viewing box. Teyva and Azrael entered, he turned to them and offered a big smile, “Ladies! I’m looking forward to a good match today!” He laughed, “Put on one hell of a show for me, yes?”

They looked at one another and shrugged.

Teyva sat down next to Azrael, resting her elbows on her knees and staring out into the Arena. She glanced her sister’s way and offered her a nudge with her shoulder. “How are you feeling?”

“Better than you might think,” Azrael said, a small smile on her face, “I have something to confess. Or rather, half of something,” She said as the King and Tiisha stepped out and faced one another.

“What’s that?”

“I haven’t been sitting still these past few weeks, Teyva,” She said, “I held back quite a bit against Conrad. I used as much power as I was capable of back in Nulakam to face him, I wanted to prove to myself that I could. I almost slipped up a little bit though near the end.”

“No wonder I haven’t seen much of you,” Teyva said, watching the two fighters part and take their positions.

“I’ve made a decision, but it’s not a declaration I want to make here to just you and Nephral. I’ll wait until everyone in the stands can hear what I have to say,” Azrael said, clenching her fists.

“I’m looking forward to it,” Teyva said.

In the Arena both the King and Tiisha raised their hands simultaneously. She couldn’t make out their expressions at this distance but she immediately felt that something was off. They raised their voices so that all could hear and shouted in unison; “Behold you Faithful! The Lord of the Lofty Peaks!” A crackle rippled across the ground and behind both of them, the dirt took shape and grew into a tremendous serpent. Tiisha’s was the same as it had been before, dirt-colored with colorless eyes. Thrake’s, on the other hand, had taken on a dark purple hue and it’s eyes were blazing with red light. Both serpents hissed at one another, snapping their jaws and thrashing their heads in hostility.

“Tiisha!” Thrake called to her, his voice booming with magical amplification, “We both know how this will end!”

“You are correct, Majesty! What do you suggest?” Tiisha responded without hesitation, her voice also amplified.

“I would think the honorable thing to do would be to let the next generation rise to the occasion, wouldn’t you?” Thrake shouted back. There was a murmur in the stands, Azrael and Teyva looked at one another.

“What is he doing?” Azrael asked, focusing on her father.

“I agree! We’ve had our fun, have we not?” Tiisha laughed, “Let these people see what they have come for!”

“Karx!” Thrake bellowed.

Karx’s voice trembled out over the stands, “Y-your Majesty?”

“Tiisha and I have decided to step down from this contest! Please give your ruling!” Thrake shouted.

“A-are you sure? I-I mean, As you wish your Majesty!” Karx stammered, “W-With an unprecedented turn of events and a showing of honor and respect for the rising stars of the next generation, Master Tiisha and His Majesty King Thrake Unabi have withdrawn from the competition! We will now move on t-to an unprecedented early Final Match! A duel between the two mighty princesses of Osan! Princess Teyva Akura and Princess Azrael Unabi!”

The roar of approval from the crowd was once again enough to cause the protective barrier around the viewing box to shudder. Teyva and Azrael sat in silence, wide-eyed, they looked at one another and then back out at the King and Tiisha who were already making their way back inside. The two girls hurried to the waiting room and slid to a stop when they saw the King step inside, he turned and offered them a grin. “Give me a good show, girls.”

“Why?” Azrael asked.

“What about our spar? Weren’t you looking forward to it?” Teyva demanded.

“Aha, now you’re excited,” Thrake laughed, glancing at Tiisha as she entered. He looked back at his daughters, “Our time will come, I’m sure,” he put his hands on his hips, “But today is your day to shine. Show our people what you are truly capable of.”

Teyva looked down at her feet and let out a breath, “Right,” She looked over at Azrael, “You ready?”

Azrael swallowed and broke into a wild grin, “Figured I’d have more time to mentally prepare but it looks like we’re doing this.”

“Make us proud,” Tiisha said, putting a hand on Thrake’s arm. “We will be watching you both with great interest.”

The two left without a word after that, Azrael and Teyva standing in silence for a while before both of them turning to one another. They embraced and Azrael spoke first, “Sisters?”

“Forever.”

Teyva stood opposite Azrael on the arena field, the crowd was louder than ever. Shouts of her name and Azrael's rung about her head as she tried to focus on what she was going to do. Azrael had implied that she had a few more tricks up her sleeve but at this point she wasn’t sure what that was. She glanced over at the Akurai section of the stands and was surprised to see Niko standing next to Batel. Elat and Paraklytus were both leaning against the rails, their eyes fixed on the pair getting ready to fight. Conrad was still seated but his attention was just as intense as the others. Teyva swallowed and looked over at Azrael who appeared to be taking a few steadying breaths.

“I’ve been waiting for this a long time, Teyva!” Azrael shouted, her voice carrying with the use of magic. Teyva really wanted to learn how they did that. “When I swore my oath to you to be your knight I never knew that we’d come so far!”

“Me too!” Teyva called back, finding her voice amplified as well. Azrael winked in her direction.

“I’ve made a decision, Teyva! I will be your First General, your right hand!” She shouted, “But that means I need to stand next to you, rival you if I must! So I did what I had to do to catch up with you! They may be new, but I have experience and have learned to adapt quickly to new skills!” 

Teyva blinked, what was she saying? Azrael drew her sword and pointed it at Teyva.

“I don’t care how long it takes, I’ll wait, summon everything you have! I myself and all those gathered here want to see the extent of what you are capable of! I will accept nothing less than your full might! Hold nothing back, hide nothing, and I will show you the same courtesy!”

“Are you sure?” Teyva asked.

“Don’t doubt me! I am the First General of the Akurai Queen Teyva Akura! I have more than enough power to handle your monsters! Now show everyone why you call yourself The Mother of Monsters! Show me everything!” Azrael shouted, “If you don’t come at me with all your strength I may very well be the victor here!”

Teyva swallowed, “What changed, Azrael?” She shouted back.

Azrael laughed, “Come on Teyva! Do you really think I’ll give away the surprise that easily! If anything you can thank Father and Paraklytus for how far I’ve come! I will not fall far behind you, I will chase you as you reach for the peak!”

Teyva’s eyes widened and she felt her heart race, she didn’t even realize how wicked her smile had become. She rolled her jaw and summoned up the [Masque of the Newborn Queen], putting it on and shifting her arms into the [Grasp of the Tomb Guardian]. She held out her arms and began to summon, over and over, her mana dropping and rising thanks to Nephral’s presence. Four Darkeyes rushed into the corners of the field. Her Mockeries spread out into a cloud of glittering metal. Behemoth came next, arriving in front of Teyva with a terrible roar. The Death Elemental followed, rising up behind Teyva and looming even over the Behemoth. She whipped her arms out further and four faceless figures rose up out of the dirt and stone, each of them appearing like store mannequins affixed with joints like an artists manikin. The manikins turned to face Azrael and began to change, their bodies shifting until they took on Teyva’s appearance. Each of them grinned and whipped their right arm out, the limb turning into a blade.

Azrael stood, alone, before an army of monsters, a bead of sweat dripping down her brow as the crowd went silent.

“This is what you wanted Azrael! Are you ready?” Teyva demanded.

Azrael dropped into a fighting stance, two wolves stepping out of the mist behind her. The creatures flickered and a sphere of defensive magic wrapped around them. Her sword began to glow a dull pink that grew brighter as she held it. “You are incredible, sister!” Azrael called, “But let’s see how you deal with an opponent built as your natural predator!”

Azrael lunged, and the battle began.

62