Chapter 140 – Cold VIII
1.1k 5 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Teyva and her group arrived at the Central Spire just as the sun was centering itself in the sky. She opened her inventory and checked the pocket watch, noting that the hands were pointing to noon. She hadn’t really taken the time to check and see what kind of hourly cycle Orum had but had figured it was pretty close to Earth’s twenty-four hour cycle. To her surprise she hadn’t been wrong, it was exactly twenty-four. Paraklytus glanced at the object in her hand and leaned in, inspecting it.

“A very small clock,” Paraklytus mused.

“You had these in your time?” Teyva asked, glancing up at the miniature mountain that was drawing closer. She could see the decorations on the archway that marked the entrance to what was more than likely the Patron’s cave. The arch was made of wood that had been lacquered until it was almost black, flowers hung from the top and created a sort-of curtain of vines and color. Large carvings of serpents wrapped around the bases of the arch until they met at the apex.

“Most assuredly, my ancestors possessed technology even beyond my own understanding such as the great mills that brought light into the university and labyrinth beneath it,” Paraklytus mused, “Not even the great Labyrinthians were blessed with a consistent timeline. Our empire fell many times in the past, knowledge was lost, it is the way of things.”

“You, Nephral, and I need to have a chat then,” She said with a wry smile, “Where I come from, the technology dwarfs that of those ‘mills’ you’re talking about. Nephral seems to have the ability to possess complex knowledge of anything I’m vaguely aware of as long as I meet the requirements.”

Paraklytus’ eyes flashed, “I see where you’re going with this, a technological advantage would certainly aid you in your vendetta with the Katali.”

“Might help with Sari as well,” Teyva said, “She said she has studied the medical arts of every race on this continent.”

“Not yet, she hasn’t,” Paraklytus followed, nodding, “I will use this information well, Majesty.”

They came to a stop at the archway and turned to see the group hurrying to catch up. Teyva had wanted some quiet time to speak with Paraklytus without interruption and the group had obliged without being asked. Azrael gave Teyva a look as they approached and raised an eyebrow. Teyva shrugged and crossed her arms behind her back before looking around for someone to guide them further down. “I’m surprised this gateway isn’t guarded,” She murmured.

“What’s the point of posting guards for a creature that could kill anything that displeased it without a thought?” A voice said from the left, Teyva turned and spotted a young Azar man approaching. He wore white robes and a hood over his head. He stopped and bowed once to Teyva and then to Azrael, “Princesses, I am Ooru, I will be leading you into the cavern.”

Teyva offered him a magnanimous smile, “Thank you Ooru, we promise not to take up too much of your time.”

The man shook his head, “This is my sole duty besides catering to the Patron’s various requests. Please, follow me inside,” he said and passed through the thin veil of flowers, stepping into the darkness. Teyva dipped in next, following him while the others followed suit. Azrael slipped in alongside Teyva and gave her a playful elbow.

Did you forget about my ears? Azrael asked.

Of course not, I figured you’d be listening. Teyva said, offering her sister a coy smile.

You really think she’s worth the effort? Azrael pressed, glancing once in the direction of Sari who was speaking quietly with Elat.

I do, though I plan on warning Paraklytus not to do anything that might upset Elat. Teyva said as she examined their surroundings. The cavern was lit by a photoluminescent moss that hung high above their heads. The off-yellow glow provided enough light to walk without stumbling about. The cavern walls were simply hewn stone, nothing special. The floor, however, was made of meticulously crafted tile that had some sort of raised, rough surface. Even if it rained and left the passage filled with water it would be next to impossible to lose one’s balance. It was an impressive approach.

Thank you, Majesty. She said, turning her gaze to Ooru’s back as he turned and proceeded deeper into the tunnel.

Teyva glanced her way before turning to focus on the path. She kept her face still though she felt a slight tightness in her chest. She let out a breath, willing the feeling away. She needed to stop feeling guilty when she did something that was necessary. This was about bigger things than one person and she couldn’t afford to let an asset slip from her grip. When the time came for her to step out from under Thrake’s wing she needed to be ready. She rolled her jaw a bit and steeled her nerves, casting Elat a brief look before they came to a stop at another set of doors.

These doors were ornate, covered in depictions of an enormous serpent weaving its way through the mountains as if they were nothing more than mounds of dirt. Ooru gripped the large circular handle at the center of one of the doors and pulled, heaving the heavy hunk of metal out of the way far enough for those present to enter. They stepped inside and found themselves on a cliff overlooking a vast pit centered with a single column of stone that rose all the way up to the ceiling. Ooru strode past them to the apex of the cliff and dropped to a knee, gesturing for the others to do the same. Teyva, on the other hand, remained standing.

“Teyva!” Elat hissed.

“A queen does not kneel,” Teyva said, standing firm as the ground beneath them shuddered once before a steady vibration began to work its way up their legs. Somewhere down below something massive was moving. The column at the center of the vast room shuddered as a dark shape began to work its way up and around it. The serpent was massive, many orders of magnitude larger than the entity that Tiisha had summoned during the festival. It’s head was as large as a small house, its eyes as big as trucks. Teyva wanted so badly to use her journal right now but felt like that would be incredibly unwise.

A voice ripped through the air, a rasping hiss that battered their eardrums. “A QUEEN WOULD KNEEL TO A GOD.”

“Great Serpent,” Teyva said, “We’ve come to pay our respects, not offer our fealty.”

“Teyva!” Azrael gasped this time.

The Serpent stared at her from its distant perch, its enormous glowing eye fixed upon her. It pulled itself away from the column and began to stretch its incomprehensible body across the gap, drawing closer. Its presence spread out among them, a terrible cloud that even pressed down on Teyva. Teyva grit her teeth, feeling the oppressive aura begin to focus on her. She wrapped her mana around herself and looked up into the titanic entity’s eyes, bracing her feet against the ground. She knew that her resistance to such attacks was a combination of her [Mana Manipulation] and [Willpower], she didn’t know if she had enough to hold out here but she was going to give it everything she had. It was just another test ahead of dealing with Teyva Rani.

Sweat beaded on her temple and she felt her right knee shake as the pressure grew more intense, the creature’s aura trying to enter her mouth and nose to flood her lungs and cut off her breathing. Teyva clenched her fists, pushing back with all her might. She held the creature’s gaze even as every instinct screamed at her to relent, to let it push her down. She could feel it in her mind, reaching for the place of her soul, searching, exploring even as it tried to suffocate her. She closed herself off, not willing to let it read every one of her secrets.

“Stay out of my head,” She bit out, “That is not your domain.”

The serpent paused and drew back, it’s presence finally diminishing until Teyva could feel herself breathe again. The others let out gasps of their own. “YOU ARE STRONG.” The mighty creature hissed, “YOU HAVE MY RESPECT, ASCENDANT. I WELCOME YOU TO MY HOME.”

Teyva forced herself not to wipe her brow, “Thank you, Mighty One, you honor me. You have mine as well.”

“YOU ALL ARE WELCOME IN MY TERRITORY, THE CREATURES OF THIS LAND SHALL NOT STAND IN YOUR WAY,” The Serpent hissed and pulled itself back to its perch, “GO WITH MY BLESSING, LITTLE ONES.”

With that, the Serpent began to slide back down into the abyss from which it came, its glowing eyes fading into the darkness. Teyva let out a breath followed by a hacking cough. Azrael jumped to her feet and took Teyva by the arm, helping her stand as all of Teyva’s strength gave out in her legs. “You are a mad woman,” Azrael said, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Teyva grunted, ignoring the sound of a prompt, “Just need somewhere to sit down.”

Ooru got to his feet and turned to Teyva, his face pale, “I’ve never seen it, someone actually stood before the Great Serpent,” he breathed, his eyes wide. “He called you an Ascendant, what does he mean?”

Teyva looked at Azrael and then back at Ooru, “That is between the Serpent and I,” Teyva said, “I’m afraid I can’t speak to it,” She tried to sound convincing even as her lungs felt like they were full of sand.

Ooru bowed his head, “Forgive me, I hope I did not offend with my insolent question.”

“No offense taken whatsoever,” Teyva said, coughing again, “Get me out of here Azrael,” She whispered as she pulled up the prompt. Azrael quickly turned and began to carry Teyva down from the raised cliff toward the tiles that would lead them back up to the open air. Paraklytus quickly glided after them with Conrad, Elat, and Sari following behind.

You have earned an Achievement!

[Tempered Soul] - Over and over you have exposed your soul to great pressure and strain, coming out stronger than before. Your will is like steel. You have gained a natural resistance to Spirit and Mind magic. Your base willpower has increased by 10.

 

Alert!

You now possess new resistances, these may now be increased by your [Adaptable] trait!

 

Teyva grinned wearily, she finally had a resistance now. She glanced at Paraklytus who looked at her with concern in his glowing eyes and offered him a wicked smile. She knew what she needed to do next. It was time to grind. She wouldn’t just beat Teyva Rani, she would crush her.

66