Chapter 150 – Cold XVIII
1.1k 8 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Teyva loomed over Myranda as the Dark Priestess struggled to right herself. She slipped on her hands while trying to push herself back, her body pressing against the barrier she had created to protect her acolytes from the confrontation. The pinkish glass flickered and cracked before crumbling into nothing but motes of light that rose slowly into the air. The Acolytes watched in stunned silence, fear rooting them to the spot. Teyva clicked her tongue and stood up straight, “Is that really all the fight you have in you?” She demanded, looking up at the Acolytes and then off to the right where she heard hurried footfalls.

Myranda’s face fell and she looked away, her eyes glassy and hard. Teyva sighed and sat down on the ground, crossing her legs and leaning in towards Myranda. “Look at me, Myranda.”

The defeated priestess exhaled through her nostrils, clearly gathering her strength, and turned to look Teyva in the eyes. She looked thin, as if she hadn’t been eating or taking care of herself. Teyva examined her gaunt face and then glanced up at the acolytes, “When was the last time you’ve eaten?” She asked. Silence and a lowered head were her response. Teyva shook her head, “Tell me about your vision,” She paused, “The rest of you can go, give us some space.”

None of the Acolytes moved and Teyva let out a breath, “I said, get out of here, now! Your priestess will summon you when we’re done!” Teyva barked. The Acolytes looked at one another and hurried out of the room, leaving the massive circular space all but empty. The incoming sound of people running into the room grew louder and Teyva didn’t even lift her head. Her enhanced senses from the Darkeyes showing her that both Conrad and Sari had come to join her. 

Sari slid to a stop, “Myranda?”

Myranda looked up weakly, “Sari?” She mumbled.

The murderous orcish woman ran over and slid to a stop at Teyva’s immediate right, looking down at the withered elf. She looked over at Teyva, “What happened here?”

“This is our Dark Priestess,” Teyva said cooly, drawing a wince from Myranda, “I revoked her powers.”

Sari knelt down and without warning snatched up Myranda’s wrist, she placed her thumb against her veins and rolled her jaw. She reached up and took Myranda’s head in her hands and a faint glow began to work its way around her fingers. “Malnutrition, sleep deprivation, looks like you’ve been burning through your mana day and night without resting either,” She said, finally sitting down next to Teyva and putting her hands in her lap. “Lady Akura, this woman is not well.”

“I gathered,” Teyva grunted, “We’ll get her back on her feet after she answers some questions.”

“She is in no condition to-” Sari was cut off by Teyva who raised a hand and gave her a steely look.

“Your vision, Myranda, this must have been one hell of a vision to drive you to this,” Teyva said, “What happened to you, why are you even out here doing all this? Your acolytes said that you were working against the Elven King as well,” Teyva pressed, “Explain all of it.”

Sari shifted uncomfortably where she was sitting but fell still when Myranda nodded, “I had the vision just a few months ago during my meditations. I was the High Priestess in service of King Broust and worshipped the greater beings that were said to protect our people, I had believed for so long in the King’s goodwill. He was kind to me and respectful of my family. Ultimately, though, we Elves are the possessions of our King to do with as he decides.”

Teyva held her tongue, “Continue.”

Myranda clenched her fists, “Broust is obsessed with enriching the kingdom by any means necessary. He opened trade with the Azar and has been reaping tax money from imports. At the same time, he enjoys the favor of the King of Katal. Bowing and scraping for trade, weapons, magic, whatever he can get from them. The man is so greedy he’s hardly a king anymore, the Elves have become unknowing vassals to the Katali,” She bore her teeth, “Worst of all is what the Human’s have been asking for in exchange. Our own king sends us into servitude for Human nobles. He pressured my mother and father into sending my sister into the service of a Count,” She spat, looking nauseated.

She closed her eyes and hung her head, “I was doubting, in crisis, when a vision came to me of a pale maiden with two right hands, she came to the north and brought the kingdom to its knees. In the vision I gave her acolytes to serve her, priests to empower her agents, and she gave me her blessing. Her might. I lead her to the gates of our homeland and she tore them down before marching inside and freeing our people from that two-faced bastard,” Myranda’s voice was shaking, her eyes filled with tears. “I saw a goddess of vengeance, one that would destroy our Kingdom and build it anew! An age eater! I told the king of the incoming turning of the age. Warned him to make right with what he was doing…” She trailed off.

“And bring your sister back?” Teyva asked.

“Yes,” Myranda said.

Teyva let out a breath and leaned back, “Okay,” She looked up to the ceiling. So far the only thing that she hadn’t liked about Myranda was the way she treated her summons. Even then, Teyva had to admit that it was probably how most summoners behaved around summoned creatures they hadn’t formed a bond with. Teyva flexed her hand and looked over at Sari and then back at Myranda. She got to her feet and crossed her arms behind her back, “Sari, can you take care of her?”

“Of course,” Sari said without hesitation.

“Get her to the caravan then,” Teyva said, “I will have made a decision by the time I join you.”

“My acolytes?” Myranda asked.

“Are innocent of all this,” Teyva said evenly, “Do they have supplies?”

“They have enough stored for a few weeks,” Myranda said.

“Then they can stay here for now,” Teyva exhaled and began to walk towards the path that Myranda had taken up from beneath the tower. “Sari, if you would?”

Sari quietly gathered the weakened priestess into her arms and made her way toward the exit. Teyva glanced back over her shoulder at Conrad who stood at the edge of the room patiently. She jerked her head, urging him to follow and slipped into the Party chat, opening it to everyone.

Sari will be coming back with our Princess. She has made things very complicated.

Complicated how? Azrael asked.

According to her, the King of the Elves has been playing both sides and has indebted himself to the Katali while also getting trade and tax money from the Azar. He’s also allegedly been sending elves to the Katali as servants in order to build relations. Teyva said.

Troubling, Paraklytus chimed in, And the Priestess’ role in all of this?

Well, she had a vision of me overthrowing the King of the Elves and arranging for the return of her little sister who was sent to a Katali Count. Teyva grumbled.

The girls name wouldn’t happen to be Anya, would it? Conrad asked.

Teyva froze and glanced over her shoulder at the retreating form of Sari and Myranda, “Sari!” She called out and the woman came to an abrupt stop. “What is Myranda’s sister’s name?”

“Anya,” Came Myranda’s weakened voice.

“Thank you,” Teyva said, resisting the urge to click her tongue. She glanced over at Conrad whose face had become stormy. 

Well? What is it, Conrad? Teyva pressed.

Count Otel has an elven attendant named Anya who was sent to Balthin just under a year ago, by her family who are nobles in the Northland. Conrad explained.

There’s your evidence, Paraklytus murmured, Is the girl treated well?

As well as can be expected, I suppose. I am positive that the Count hadn’t laid hands on her, at least when I was in his service. He did not beat her or mistreat her, but she was expected to obey whatever order he had to give. Conrad explained.

Father has no idea, Azrael murmured, But we are on a diplomatic mission to meet him. We can’t just stab him in the back when he welcomes us inside. The fallout could be catastrophic.

Agreed, Teyva growled. Father said that this mission was important so we should do our best to carry it out and see what the Elven King’s response is. We will have to keep the Priestess out of sight until then.

You intend to help her? Azrael asked.

What would you do if some noble dressed me up pretty and sent me off to live with some stranger as a servant? Teyva asked.

Do you really have to ask? Azrael growled, her voice in Teyva’s head thick with bloodlust.

Then you understand. Teyva said, Perry, see what more you can get out of the Priestess when she arrives with Sari and the two of you keep an eye on her. I’ll be back out soon, something I want to see. Teyva said and began to descend the stairs into the depths of the space beneath the tower. Conrad formed up alongside her.

“What will you do if the Elven King is guilty?” He pressed, resting his hand on the hilt of his mace.

“Depends,” Teyva said, coming to a stop where the steps ended and then parted to wrap back around to go further beneath the tower. She hung a right and continued to walk, “If he’s really got connections with Katal that could be advantageous for us at some point in the future. If he’s feeding them information about Osan then I want to know what that information is.”

“And if he is belligerent or decides to place his relationship with Katal over your father’s request?”

Teyva glanced at him, “There are degrees of belligerence,” she said quietly, “It depends on how much he offends us. If he is an idiot then…” She trailed off as they arrived at a large set of double doors set into an entryway where the splitting set of stairs met. Teyva looked up at the door, “...we still may have to be careful. If word gets out that the Elven King was punished for his relationship with Katal, who knows what might happen to those who were shipped off to the humans.”

Conrad stepped forward and shoved the doors open ahead of Teyva who walked past him, “A wise approach, My Queen.”

Teyva glanced back at him and smiled, “All the more reason to push up our timetable on dealing with the Count, yes?”

Conrad grinned, “Looking forward to it.”

Teyva turned to the open space waiting for her. It was another circular chamber, smaller than the one above. Scattered around them there were signs of humble living. A simple bed was shunted into the corner next to an equally simple lockbox for clothing. She could smell the faint odor of incense burnt in the past. Teyva examined the walls but found them to be nothing more than sheer black stone. She stepped toward the center and looked down at where the symbol of the Lord of the Wastes was above them. Instead, she found an elegantly carved inscription written in the Labyrinthian language. Teyva tilted her head and read it slowly.

“<Welcome, child of the winding halls, may the moon shine upon you.>” Teyva read.

“What does it say?” Conrad asked.

“It’s just a welcome,” Teyva said and stepped back in time for the seal to begin to turn transparent. Air that hadn’t escaped in centuries suddenly popped into the room like it had been held down beneath a cork. When the seal was gone, Teyva looked down to see a spiral staircase leading further inside. She glanced over at Conrad and shrugged before starting to walk down without an ounce of hesitation. Conrad, startled, hurried after her. She descended for all of five minutes before she came out into yet another chamber. This one was a large square with the stairwell opening out into one of the walls of the room to allow the entire space to spread out before them. 

At the far end of the room was another set of double doors ringed with words in Labyrinthian. The words were less a statement and more simple concepts. Pride, Order, Duty, Power. Beneath the words in less dramatic text was simply the phrase ‘Labyrinth Entrance’. Teyva sniffed and looked away from the door. She wasn’t planning on going back into the Labyrinth any time soon. She turned to look at the rest of the room. Most of it was empty, a few stone columns topped with bowls filled with everburning flames. It took her a second to realize that the walls of this room were made of the same black-gold marble as Rani’s Tomb and the Underfield chamber.

“There’s got to be one in here,” Teyva muttered, inspecting the room more carefully.

“One what?” Conrad asked, scratching his head.

“A Heart Stone,” Teyva said, coming to a stop at a small raised part of the ground just about ten feet away from the doors to the Labyrinth. She looked down and found a simple circular disk of what appeared to be very thick glass covered in dust. A ring of gold-plated metal held it in place. Teyva kicked the dust out of the way and crouched down to peer inside. A faintly glowing stone had been set into a small pocket beneath her feet. It flared to life when she focused on it.

Would you like to lay claim to this Active Heart Stone?

Yes/No

 

“Nice!” Teyva laughed, “Yes!”

 

You have successfully claimed an Active Heart Stone!

This Heart Stone shall be recorded as: Northtower Point

You have 2 Active Heart Stones

You have 1 Damaged Heart Stone

You have 1 Inert Heart Stone

This Active Heart Stone does not possess a Guardian!

This Active Heart Stone was created by someone else, other features are locked until you activate your own Heart Stone.


“Didn’t I have three?” Teyva muttered before facepalming, “Perry and I have been so busy we hadn’t gone back beneath the university to suss out the chamber he mentioned!”

“I am confused,” Conrad said.

“This is a heart stone,” Teyva explained, “It’s like a cornerstone for the Labyrinth. I can also use them to…” She trailed off and grinned at him, “Respawn if I die.”

Conrad’s eyes went wide and he looked down at the stone, “So that’s how. There is another one near that settlement then?”

“Protected by the Patron Being of Wolves, Deshan,” Teyva said with a smirk. She stretched her arms over her head and yawned, “Alright, I found what I was looking for. Let’s get out of here. I need to let them know what I’ve decided to do about the Priestess and the Elven King.”

“You’ve made your decision?” Conrad asked.

“Protect Myranda from his wrath, investigate further, and if he crosses me, deal with it accordingly,” Teyva said firmly and made her way to the steps. “Nothing more to be said.”

Conrad nodded, “Looking forward to it, your Highness.”

60