Chapter 67: Alliences
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a bountiful harvest. Our enemy arrived as they were sure they would defeat us, but we had the final laugh and got money, supplies, maps, and even letters with secret military information.
“I wish I could see Leonhard’s face when he hears the news,” Arthur said. He looked the happiest amongst us.
We replenished some supplies, and though most of our enemies escaped, many still perished and joined our ranks as undead soldiers. Some of our people raised their voices against undead troops, but Silvertower silenced them by saying it was necessary to survive.
Still, I played to the public. I locked all undead soldiers to a secluded part of the entrance and promised I only call to service them if necessary.
And as it seems, word travels fast in the North. A group of delegates from the Noble Alliance arrived, having given prior notice, to meet with me in just a week.
We organized a small meeting area on the first floor. Three gentlemen, with five of their guards, sat in front of me, while Mel and Arthur stood guard behind me.
I asked Bricks to prepare the food, so there was an exotic but tasty plate in front of our visitors despite the lack of ingredients.
We served Dwarven ale for drinks, a rare delicacy even for the nobles.
“Well, has our humble home had good enough offerings.” I started the conversation.
“It was surprisingly great,” spoke delegates leader, Baron Rashwer. “There were rumors about the rebels being malnourished because of lack of food, but it was just rumors.”
I nodded. “We are well fed and well armed, thank you for your concerns, but let's talk business.”
“Gladly.”
I looked at the maps left behind by Duke Wellington before the meeting. We were inside a valley with only four paths for an army to enter the region.
"We have an extensive list. I suppose your faction can supply us with these.”
“It sounds possible, but.” He looked towards the outskirts. “This region is dangerous for large supply caravans to pass, and what will you pay us with? Gold, troops, or your loyalty?”
“I will not join a side in the war, but we will protect your supply caravans in my region. For payment, we can offer gold, silver, or equipment.”
Delegates discussed among themselves until they got to a common understanding. “Alright. We will accept gold and equipment as payment, and you will protect our supplies whenever they enter your territory. Now, this was your side of the deal. We want something from you as well.”
I nodded. “Go on.”
“We heard you boasted some formidable people in your ranks, a steel giant, a wyvern, and the famous silver knight, and you are a famous necromancer who can singlehandedly raid fortresses.”
“I see where this is going. Tell me the job, and then I'll tell you my price.”
Baron snapped his fingers, and one of the guards brought a map.
“Around a month ago, a convoy of unknown origin entered North. They were carrying a certain magical artifact I wanted. A green jeweled bracelet that can heal most sicknesses, I am ready to pay very high prices for it. My sources managed to find its location. It was inside a bandit camp, an abandoned fortress. I marked it on the map.”
The place he marked was far inside Royal territory. “I see. It will cost you a high price.”
“I know, but I am ready to pay for it.”
His offer screamed ‘ambush’ to my face, but that amulet sounded too appealing. Side effects of the Curse were mostly suppressed, but it still took control during my moments of weakness on multiple occasions. “About sickness, we have means to cure many of them. We have followers of the Goddess of Mercy living in the fortress, and they have formidable healing abilities. I saw them save a man who got implied by two spears to the chest.”
Baron shook his head. “No, it's not a disease holy power can cure. I tried it, even brought a high-ranking priest from the Holy Capital for a large fortune.”
“Alright. I will look for it, but if you are to betray my trust, I swear on my blood, I will personally destroy the Noble faction.”
“You don’t need to threaten us, Necromancer Erwin. I desperately need this medallion as much as you need allies.” One of his guards brought a parchment and a small knife.
We both made cuts on our hands and marked the paper with our blood. The parchment then burned itself and delegates left quickly after.
I later asked what it was to Arthur, and he said that the noble put his life on the line with the seal of blood.
When I moved back to the city, my presence was asked.
This time, it was the young Oracle. She wanted a meeting in person with me, stating Goddess was trying to contact me.
I accepted her offer. I took Silvertower with me and took her somewhere in the palace ruins.
An old tea garden, now covered in wildflowers, mushrooms, and vines.
“Thank you for coming, Lord Of The Death,” Oracle said while bowing forward. “And you too, Champion of the Forge.”
“Please stand straight and stop using such long titles. Tell me, what word your Goddess brought.” Knowing she would give a long formal speech as usual, I jumped to the conclusion.
“As you want.” Oracle kneeled before me and stopped moving like a statue, then the purple light inside her eyes came out of her body and took a shape similar to the beings I saw before coming to this world.
"I am glad to see you again, Lich King Erwin." She said while looking at me, she then turned her gaze towards Silvertower. “And you too, Forge’s Champion.”
“It is an honor,” Silvertower said while kneeling.
"A long time has passed since we last talked, Goddes of Mercy." Her voice is soft and charming as ever, but I do not trust any gods.
“It has been. I congratulate what you achieved so far. You conquered many trials while not succumbing to the Curse.”
“I did, but lost control on multiple occasions, even though someone told me it was suppressed. ”
“I know. We have less power in this world than we assume we did, my apologies.”
“Anyways. What were you going to tell me?”
Silvertower coughed. “Erwin, you are speaking to a Goddess.”
“I know. But, remember, I am not from this world, unlike you. They are not my gods. We are on good terms, but I am not her follower, so don't expect me to bow and pray anytime soon."
“Isn’t that right?” A familiar voice said. From shadows, Kobold King showed himself.
We were surprised. I knew this guy had eyes and ears everywhere but I didn’t expect him to show up.
But there is someone who is even more surprised than us. Goddess herself. "Uralt. I didn't expect your appearance."
"Old humble me is only here so you won't embarrass yourself while trying to sway him. He is not one of those dumb children who want to become champions no matter what."
“I greet the Kobold King.” I slightly bowed forward towards Uralt.
Silvertower did the same.
“Hostile as ever,” Goddess said while looking at Uralt. “But do not mistake me for the rest of my kin, I am not here to lie.”
“I know, I am just here to make sure you don't forget any details..”
Goddess stepped forward. "I am asking his help, Uralt, not trying to make him a champion of mine."
Kobold King bowed forward. "I know you are unique even amongst the god kin since you witnessed some of the feelings we mortals feel firsthand, both good and bad, but it is still in my duty to do so. Now, Lich Erwin, I think it is your turn to speak."
So, it's my time to speak. "It shouldn't be my job to clean all of the mess of this world. I will neither bring balance between gods nor act as champion of this world and fight for creatures of this world.”
"Indeed, it would be most selfish since you are not even a life of this world.”
"But yet, I was given a second life here." I looked at my prosthetic arm, "Though I almost lost it for someone else's gain, again. I am not a human anymore. I don’t have a peaceful future either. I dreamed of escaping to faraway lands without war, but it soon struck me that as long as I had the Curse, it was not a choice for me. Unless beings way above my power help me. Let’s stand on equal ground and make deals, I want to get rid of the Curse for once and all, and you two have your needs.”
“Urtalk, you did cause a lot of confusion with your appearance, but your wisdom once again showed your presence was needed.” Goddess turned towards me. "I didn't ask your presence for my benefit alone. You did good to me by saving my children." Her spectral form moved forward. "Be relaxed." She gently pushed her thumb toward my forehead, and her hand entered my head.
The bluescreen appeared in front of me.
[New Abilities:
Purification: Clear the unworldly evil thoughts from a creature's mind, a worldly matter, or a sickness from someone with a good heart.
Mercy: Ease the pains of the being you touch and recover its minor injuries.]
"It is forbidden for gods to give powers for nothing, but you protected my children, so I think I am allowed to reward you, but for more, I want you to keep protecting them, their belief helps me get a greater foothold on this mortal ground, with balance restored, me and my allies can cure you of the Curse, and offer you a wish."
Kobold King smiled. "I can’t just let myself be defeated." He reached into his cloak and pulled out a worn book. “I have no use for this, but it will help you.”
I grabbed the book. Guideline translated the old runic words on the hard leather cover. “Core Of Elements, entry to evocation.”
“It is a rare magic book. You have a good amount of mana and control over it. Try learning basics. If you can master the core of magic, you won’t be bounded by spells made by others.”
“I will study this book. I offer my thanks to the Kobold King.”
“Your thanks accepted. It is a reward for you, because you reclaimed this city, well, some of it. I will offer you more as you prove yourself worthy of it, but before I go.” He turned towards Silvertower. "You are in a sorry state, a shadow of your former self, unable to call the powers you were born with."
Silvertower nodded. There was regret and shame in his movements.
"That much is to be expected. After all, most of your powers went into protecting that egg and conserving your body, and Erwin's powers are far too weak to revive you to your former glory." Kobold King reached into his clock and pulled out three roots, which my body felt attracted to. “You will know when you need to use them.”
“What are these,” Silvetower asked. “They look ordinary, but I am sure there is more to it.”
“Young roots of the world tree, I picked them when it was just a treeling, they hold tremendous power. Consuming one should give you the strength you once had for a day.
Silvertower’s eyes sparkled. “I shall protect these with my life.”
"You shall,” he looked at me, “And you." I can feel the Curse trying to take control and consume these, but if you take that amount of mana into your body in your current state, you will lose control. So, keep your hands off.”
With that, two mysterious beings disappeared.

2