Chapter 69: City Of LakeNear
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Well, I kinda overdid the length this chapter

Today is a special day. Our first delivery from Baron happened: ten cows, thirty goats, and almost two hundred chickens. He said these were gifts since I recovered the bracelet.
Of course, he also sent the materials on our list. Thanks to those, we began to craft more trading goods, such as household items and construction materials, and sell them through our new contacts for extra money.
Other than that, with animals, we finally had a steady source of protein through milk and eggs.
It helped the children immensely since they were most affected by the lack of diverse food.
I issued milk and nectar from world tree roots next to bread and an egg.
On the other hand, adults eat a breakfast of nectar and barley meal, along with some fish if we are lucky that day.
I want to increase the number of chickens to just enough to supply everyone with their daily eggs. Our three roasters have a lot of work to do.
Now, jokes aside, the animals had difficulty adjusting to the always bright cave atmosphere. So we sewed blindfolds for cows and goats to help them sleep and made a dark room for chickens.
Other than that, I adopted the elven baby. I had to call and ask Kobold King what this thing eats and used a favor.
He told me to boil some diluted milk and mix it with nectar. At first, I was going to ask for help from some of the mothers in the city, but they advised me to feed the child.
Kobold King approved their word. According to him, elves have good memories even as infants and see their caretakers as parental figures.
So I feed that little creature three times a day now.
I never expected to become a father, even less becoming an adoptive father in another world, but all aside, I was happy.
Things looked good. I asked Baron for someone to build us boats, so he sent a reputable boatbuilder and his three sons. It cost us a fair amount of money.
I tasked them with building a large fishing vessel and told them to ask for anything they needed.
What I had in my mind was making a boiler engine to make an experimental steamboat.
Other than that, I began talking with Silvertower about my knowledge of gunpowder weapons. He looked interested in modern weapons, but those were too advanced for us to replicate, so we agreed to try to build a simple breach-loaded rifle when we had time.
I planned to gather intel. My face is unknown, so this is positive, and thanks to the goddess's gifts, I can hide my presence.
After tasking Arthur, I jumped on Fionnlagh's back and rode him to the closest city, the trading port city of LakeNear.
I then detoured around the forest and hid my presence until I approached the entrance.
There was a long line of traders outside.
But one took my interest. There was a man who dressed unfittingly.
I approached his. "Good day, my friend. What is this mess?"
"Oh," a man with dark skin said, looking surprised. "You know Durkan?"
'So, Guideline translated my words again.' I thought to myself.
"I am a wandering mercenary. I had the chance to learn the language."
"Still, it was too good, well." He looked at the gates. "They are making a fuss, saying we need more papers and inspection before entering; they are charging five silver for every stamp, you see." He looked angry. "That damned Royals, if I didn't need their approval for trading."
"Are you in bad waters with a faction?" I asked him.
"No, but most of my expensive goods are locked in this city, and they are not letting them out." He looked troubled. "I need to sell them and just get out of this damned land."
I nodded. "It is wise to leave this land, but I have another question: do they let you trade while waiting?
"Yes, they allow it that much, but why from me?"
"I am looking for something exotic and decided to shoot my shot here."
"Then you come to the right place; I have many goods from all over the continent."
I followed the man to a giant wagon pulled by eight animals that looked like a mix of camels and ostriches.
Interior could be better. Different goods were scattered all around.
"What are you looking for?" Burkan trader asked.
I just lied here, hoping for information, but I could use this opportunity. "Do you have a book about Elves?"
"Such a strange request. This land has no Elves, doesn't it?" He raised an eyebrow. "Do you work for a slave trader? Who is your boss"?
"Does my answer matter as long as I pay you well?"
"No, if you have someone who can take my goods from inside, I can give this entire vehicle for almost no money." He pulled himself a chair and sat down. "I have a book about that, and I don't know why you want one, but it's expensive. It will cost you ten gold pieces."
I reached into my pocket and placed them on his table. "Be quick."
He checked the money, reached into a drawer, and pulled out an old book. "Elven, especially Citadel Elves, were once enemies, so one unnamed duke spent his life researching them. He wrote everything he knew into this, from their war tactics to how they raised their children."
I grabbed the book and left the vehicle, but I said these right before I exited. "Don't worry, I am not one of those. And, if you think you can visit the old Dwarven fortress, there was a massive trade flux towards there for some reason."
"Hah, if so, I am so desperate." Burkan trader had a smile on his face. "Have a good day." I heard his voice as I approached the gates.
I waited around an hour on the line until one of the guards approached me.
"Sir, I have reasons to suspect you. Please follow me."
He was focused on my money pouch.
"Perhaps, whatever suspicion you have, we can discuss it inside the walls," I said while touching my money pouch.
"Very well." I followed the guard inside and paid some money as a bribe to enter inside.
***
After two hours of exploration, I concluded this city is dealing with corruption and poverty.
I saw a man being beaten by guards for money and kids begging.
There was a public execution of an old man because of treason because he sold supplies to an enemy faction.
Despite everything, the city looked clean. The extreme situations caused by poverty and war made things this bad.
This city is a port city with heavy traffic despite the civil war. I wondered what kind of corruption caused such poverty.
I felt something pulling my clock.
It was a little kid with a worn coat and no shoes. It is wintertime here in the North. How is this kid alive?
"Kind mister, would you spare some change for my sick mother?" He raised his wooden bowl. Only four copper coins were inside, enough to buy half a loaf of bread.
I looked around and kneeled. "Here." I dropped a single silver coin into his bowl.
"Thank you, kind mister."
"That's not it." I grabbed his hand and put two silver coins inside. "Go buy yourself some shoes."
I left the kid and turned towards a corner, but I kept my eyes on him.
After getting the money, some suspicious-looking guys called the kid to an alley.
Scared of the little kids' safety, I quietly followed them until I saw two guys shouting at him.
"Only three silvers!" he said, hitting the kid's head with the bowl. "You found a fool and only managed to get three silvers!"
"Sorry." The kid whimpered while holding his head. He was crying.
Other guys grabbed the kid by his arm and lifted him. "Don't you know your poor mother is only having her medicines and living thanks to us?"
The kid only managed to make a slow nod.
"Then why are you not making money!" He threw the kid. "Perhaps we should just sell you."
That much was enough. I entered the alley. "Enough."
"Who are- Oh, you are here to play the hero?" One of them said.
I reached for my sword but let it go. I couldn't just murder someone. "Perhaps I am."
"You crazy bastard, do you think you can get away-"
I dashed forward and slammed the man to the ground, then immediately grabbed the other one by the throat and raised him to the air.
"How many of you are there, and how many kids are you using like this? Give me details."
Man laughed. "Marquess won't forget this, you-"
I squeezed his throat a bit. "I asked you something, didn't I?"
"Too many-" Man tried to breathe. "Too many for you to find."
I threw the bastard and released his friend. They both began running away, swearing.
I turned towards the kid. Poor thing was paralyzed out of fear.
I touched his face. 'Mercy,' a warm, yellow light shone from my fingers, and I watched his wounded face slowly heal.
"I am sorry that you had to see that."
There were still tears on his cheek. "I heard you had a sick mother. May I see her? I might help."
Kid nodded silently, so I followed him to the city slums, to a rundown house.
Interior was dirty. A sick woman slept on hay and a thin cloth layer while a weak fire burned beside her.
"Is she your mother," I asked while trying to sound as gentle as possible.
"She is. She is sick, mister."
That woman looks as if she is dead; there is almost no movement, not even from breathing, but she is still alive; I can sense it.
Despite the poor living conditions, colorful drawings and destroyed toys were around the house.
"Where is your dad?" I asked.
"My mother said he was in somewhere far and good." He approached his mother and held her hand. "I asked her if we could join him, but she said it wasn't the time for it."
I approached the woman and grabbed the hand the kid was holding. 'Purify.'
A powerful white light emerged from my hands and scattered around her body. Her pale face gained some color, and her chest began moving as the amount of time she breathed increased.
'Mercy.' Her body began recovering even more. I reached into my bag and pulled out some dried meat. "Do you have water?"
The kid nodded and rushed outside, then returned with some dirty water. "Don't worry, mister. It is safe to drink when we boil it."
I touched the bucket, 'Purify,' and cleaned the water. Then, I helped the kid feed the fire. Then, we made a makeshift stew from what we had.
The woman was still sleeping, but she was moving more. With every move and sound she made, the kid held her mother's hand tighter and shed a tear of joy.
I decided to wait outside. And I did right. A group of crooks approached the house. They were talking about how they were going to enjoy using the husk of a woman before she died and selling his kid as a slave.
I stopped them with my sword when they approached the house.
"I'd rather you not take another step unless you don't value your life."
"Who are you-" One of the crooks was just about to raise his voice.
I quickly drew and pressed my sword to his throat. "I give good advice. You better listen to it."
"You bastard, don't you know Marquess protects us!" he shouted. He acted strong, but his body failed him with his shaking pupils and eyes.
"You are a case to study." I pulled my sword away while leaving a long, thin scar on the man's throat. "I do not care about Marquess or anything. Dare to take another step, and I shall chop your limbs individually."
They looked at each other for a while before they left the house alone. But I knew it wouldn't end with one visit.
I entered the house and saw the mother, finally awakened, hugging her child while crying.
When I entered, the kid stopped hugging her mother and rushed to me, hugging my leg. "Thank you, hero. Thank you."
Hero? "No, I am far from a hero." I looked at his mother. "Are you good now?"
The woman looked at herself in amazement. "I don't know what to say. This body didn't deserve such a miracle. Thank you, mister hero." She tried to get up, but I stopped her.
"Focus on gathering energy. Those thugs won't leave you two alone." 'Well, I got into this trouble by helping him, so I should help them to the end.'
I was thinking hard about how to help them. "Do you have any relatives outside? Some people who can shelter you?"
"My sister lives on a farm. We were just on our way to leave this city and live with her, but I got a heavy sickness."
"How long have passed?"
"I don't know. It was still the summer."
So that little kid managed to protect her mother for so long. I smiled. "You have a good kid. Gather enough energy to walk. I will find a way out of this city for you."
"But why." Woman asked. "You said you weren't the hero?"
I nodded. "I am not the hero, but I already got into this mess by helping you two once, right? And I am someone who hates to leave a job half-done. Also, those bastards annoyed me." I moved to the door. "I will guard the house, eat, and rest."
So I took a station outside and waited for a couple of hours.
Some crooks and thugs showed themselves but moved away when they saw me guarding the door.
The danger was lurking.
After the mother gathered enough energy and finished her meal, they gathered their items, or what pillaged remains of them. It looks like those thugs stole many items in the name of payment.
I escorted them to a tavern outside the slums. I told them to lock their doors room and wait for my arrival.
When I came back, two armed thugs were waiting at the door.
Next to them was a city guard.
To create a distraction, I fired an ice shard away and passed them, then climbed to the second floor, where I found five thugs trying to break open the door.
"I told you to leave them alone, but whatever."
Their leader turned towards me with a hatchet in his hand. "You fu-" He suddenly burst into a scream as I charged forward and cut his entire arm off his body. "My arm! You cut my arm! You bastard!" He shouted. He fell to his knees, trying to stop bleeding.
"Yes, I still have three more limbs to cut before your head." I turned towards other thugs. "Take him away and leave this building with your lives, or die here. The choice is yours."
They grabbed their leader and silently left the building.
Soon, they were replaced with city guards, wearing uniforms different from the one I bribed at the entrance.
I didn't resist, for now, as they said it was the city lord who called me. But before I left, I made guards swear in their God's name that they would protect the inn until I arrived and slid some money to the tavern owner to safeguard mother and child.
They brought me to a worn-down mansion, where a depressed man greeted me in his office.
"Please stop this." He said. He looked tired.
"Stop what," I answered.
Lord searched his office and surrounding rooms, even his furniture until he was sure no ears were listening. "Do you think I don't see the problem?" He sat down. All my family is gone, and now, this city is being corrupted and stolen from me."
He looked like he was telling the truth, but. "Why did you call me here instead of arresting or killing me?"
"Do you think I could?" he sighed. "I am not the ruler of this city, not anymore."
I raised an eyebrow. "Care to explain more?"
"Will you go without causing more trouble if you learn my story?"
"Not before I take that kid and mother away from this city."
He shook his head and pulled out a cigar. "I can't help you," he said. He took a puff. Well, I could still tell you my story. Before the Civil War, I owned this city and neighboring towns. This place was somewhat wealthy, and people were generally happy, but I made a mistake. I didn't support Leonhard quickly enough, costing my family and the city. My son was killed mysteriously in a battle, and my dear wife was assassinated by an unknown hand."
"And you still work for him."
He glared at me. There was a warm, golden glow in his eyes. "I can't die, not until he dies."
I felt the mana surrounding my body. "What was that?"
"A gift from my bloodline, a simple magic to see deeper into a person."
"What did you see."
"I didn't see, but felt. I went to the academy, so I am knowledgeable in branches of magic, and I felt your necromancy, stronger than any I encountered yet raw. If strong necromancers I saw in the past had a soul like a forcefully but masterfully sewed flesh giant, yours was an entire mountain, made of flesh, bones, and organs, mashed together but still somewhat living."
"Then you know my true identity."
"The famous necromancer of the fortress. You are a pain in Leonhard's ass." He chuckled.
I smiled. "It is good to know. You know, slowing his conquest is not my only plan. Only one of us leaves North alive, him or me."
"Then be quick." He reached into his drawer and pulled out a parchment. "Read this when you return; if our goals are the same, I will help you."
I grabbed the parchment and left the building. Now, I had to decide how to help the mother and child.
Luckily, I spotted a familiar face near the trading guild, the Burkan trader.
I approached him. "Good day, we meet again." I greeted him.
"We did." He greeted me back.
"Did you get your goods?"
"I just paid the price." He looked sad. "I am out of this city the minute the man I hired finished loading the goods. Then I am off this damned land!"
What an opportunity! "I have something to ask. Do you have more space in your carriage?"
He caressed his mustache. "I suppose so. I have some. You need something to be carried."
I looked around. People didn't seem to understand what I was saying, which meant Guideline could translate to one language at a time.
"Look, I will tell you the story. You know, the criminals controlling the city. They are after a woman and her child, and I need them to be smuggled out."
"No," he immediately answered. "And why would you even do that? Is she your wife or something?"
"No. I don't even know her name."
"Then why do you even do this." He looked genuinely surprised.
"I like to finish what I started. I saved a kid and her mother from a fate worse than dead, now, I can't left them alone midway through."
He thought for a second. "I will see them first."
I nodded. "Then follow me."
I took him to the tavern where mother and child were waiting.
There were more serious-looking guards around the tavern, and the lord used some of his remaining power to protect them.
We entered the room. The mother was lying on the bed while her son sat beside her.
"Is your mother alright?" I asked. "Shall I ease your pain again?"
Mother straighten up. "Thank you. I am just exhausted." She looked at the trader. "And who is he?"
"I am a wandering trader from distant lands. This one here told me to help you escape the city."
Mother's eyes teared up. "Would you help us?"
Burkan merchant looked at me. "There will be a price."
I nodded.
Merchant turned to mother. "I will. I already paid a hefty bribe to save the goods they took hostage here, so they won't be checking my car while I exit. You two can hide inside."
The mother hugged her son. "Thank you, mister hero."
I raised my palm. "As I said, I am no hero. I will finish what I started."
Mother got up and grabbed my hand. "No, you did us plenty. You healed me and my child. Tell me if there is anything I can do, whatever it may be."
I looked at the woman and sighed. "You have nothing to give me, nor I want anything. Just keep raising your son like this and allow him to grow into a strong but kind man."
The merchant touched my shoulder. "You can heal people?"
I nodded. "I can heal small wounds, and in certain conditions, I can cure diseases."
A flame of hope appeared in man's eyes. "What is that condition."
"I can only cure someone if they are good at heart."
The flames in his eyes grew. "Can I ask for your help then?"
"For what."
He looked outside to a temple tower with hatred. "My wife, she was traveling with me, but she fell sick. I tried everything, every temple in this land, but none helped us. Despite my generous payments, the only person who managed to stop the development of her disease was a medician named Jade, but she admitted that was as much as she could do."
'Lady Jade? She is alive! That is good news.'
"Where is your wife?"
"At capital."
"Then I can't."
"Why!?"
I touched my prosthetic arm I hidden behind clothes. "I have too many enemies there."
"Isn't there anything you can do?"
I thought for a second. "Help this mother and child reach her sister's farm, then visit me with your wife."
"Would you be in the city?"
"No, come to the dwarven fortress and ask for a man with one arm."
After more chatter, I paid the price, and the night arrived. I helped them sneak out.
I followed them outside, and at the city outskirts, I called Fionnlagh and followed them until they reached that mother's sister's farm.
I watched their reunion from afar. Both were shedding tears of joy and when I made sure everything looked good, I left the place.
***
A week later, an unknown merchant convoy arrived at our gates. But I knew the vehicles.
The Burkan merchant was sitting next to a camp place, making himself coffee on a bonfire, while a beautiful but sick-looking Burkan woman, covered in several layers of blankets, was watching the flames while sitting on a chair.
I first sent someone to talk with him, and he asked about me.
So, I got out.
"So, you arrived." I greeted him in my armor.
"You were the." He was surprised.
I nodded. "Yes, I am that necromancer."
He shook his head. "No, it doesn't matter who you are. I am just here for one reason anyway. Your promise."
I nodded and looked at the woman. "And is that lady your wife?"
"She is."
The woman greeted me with a nod. "I greet thee."
I approached her. "A hand, please."
I grabbed one of her hands and cast the magic. 'Mercy.'
I first aided her. But nothing visual happened.
"I feel better," she said.
"I only eased your pain." I grabbed her hand again and cast the spell. White, warm light covered her body.
Moments later, her face began gaining color. Her white, dried lips became red again.
"Done." She had a good heart, so Purify worked on her.
Her eyes teared immediately. "How…"
"It is just magic."
I got out of the way and watched two love birds rush into each other and hug with tears in their eyes.
I watched them cheer at this moment.
When they were done, the husband rushed at me and grabbed my hands. "Thank you, thank you."
I shook my head. "I only held my part of the deal. Now, as your wife is healthy again, what will you two do?"
His wife moved forward. "We don't know. We planned on leaving the North, but things didn't look bright. Soldiers closed main roads, and other paths are dangerous."
"Yeah, we have been stuck here for a while." He looked annoyed, but it disappeared and left its place for a warm smile when he looked at his wife. "But we are healthy, at least."
"So, will you two return to the capital," I asked.
"No," the merchant answered. "There aren't any businesses there, and they force foreigners to pay hefty taxes for their business."
"Is the tax the same for all goods?"
"No, it changes, but it is very high on what we sell."
"Aren't you an all-rounder merchant?" I asked.
"No, well, I pick interesting things on my way and sell for a profit if anyone is interested."
His wife moved forward. "We sell chemical products."
The merchant nodded. "My wife here is a seasoned alchemist. She makes our products, and I sell them."
'Interesting.' "So, those goods you told me were also chemical products."
"Our specialty gunpowder." She moved to one of the carriages, returned with a small glass flask filled with silverish powder, and offered it to me.
I put some of it to the ground and lit the powder. It let a strong flame and burned quickly. Still, it was much slower than black powder, which immediately burned and exploded.
I inspected the flask. "It is smokeless powder." I thought aloud.
The Burkan couple was shocked. "You've seen it before! The name is not that, but!" they shouted.
I smiled while looking at the flask. "Yeah, I did."
"Hah, and here I thought I invented something cool. Where did you see that, though?" She asked.
"It is a secret, but just you know, I don't think anyone other than you knows the recipe. What is the amount of this you have, and what price I can buy all of them."
"Well," she looked at her husband. "I only make the thing. He sells it, but this is a luxury product I only sell to noble brats who want to hunt without dirtying themselves with black powder."
His husband moved forward and pulled out a little notebook. "We have two barrels of it, each filled with roughly 30 kilograms. A single barrel will cost you hundred gold coins."
Hundred gold coins? I began laughing. "Give me all." We got a thousand gold pieces from Wellington's tent alone.
Sixty kilograms is enough to make lots and lots of bullets.
"Sure?" They looked somewhat confused.
I sent Arthur with Fionnlagh to bring the payment while I talked to the couple.
"So, you two, where will you go after here?"
Merchant scratched his head. "I don't know. We will try to operate in Noble territory, but it is a pain to go there. For some reason, this place is one of the few locations with a direct connection."
"So, you are unaware of the news, well." I looked at the fortress. "We are also a faction in the war, a third, unaffiliated one. We are at war against the Royals and trade with Nobles, but that's it. So, I keep this location clear of enemy forces."
"Do you have that much military might?"
"Our defenses are strong enough to make any leader think twice before sieging here," I said, looking at their convoy. If you two don't have a place, settle here for the time being. I offer housing, protection of goods, and a fair price for your product."
I pointed to the open fields. "I plan to build a trading town out here if we can make a deal with Leonhard. It will be a neutral ground where trade can still go on. We already have a line of merchants from both sides ready to buy warehouses here, and if you cooperate, I can give a discount and a priority."
That trading town plan is crucial to us. We have many skilled craftsmen and lots of raw materials.
"Let us think about that first."
I nodded. "Feel free to."
Some time had passed, and Arthur arrived with Fionnlagh. "I brought the payment."
The couple looked at Frost Wyvern with amazement. He had shed his skin again not long ago. Now, he was even bigger and had shiny dark blue scales, which he liked me to polish.
After more negotiation and making a legal statement on paper, the Burkan couple agreed to settle here.
I take them to the city. "Choose a house. We have many skilled craftsmen ready to clean and repair it for you. Meanwhile, I suppose you can live on your wagons."
They agreed, so I gave them a short tour around using Fionnlagh. I showed them the fields and water distribution system.
After that, I left them to themselves.
A day after they had settled, the wife had already settled her laboratory and was working on something while the husband talked with different workers around the city.
One problem was their attitude toward Dwarven and Goddess of Mercy followers. They didn't hate or oppose them, but they looked somewhat confused.
I asked them about Burkani people's views of other religions and races, and they said people usually don't care since they don't see them much.
Still, I told them to accept such things more if they wanted to stay here.
They agreed.
So, in the end, everything was good. Or so I hoped.

1