Chapter 19: Aftermath Of A Close Battle
206 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The past is unknown to the traveler who found his way into an alien world, but no matter where they are from, once their home changes, so do their history.

 

I found myself in this world almost a month ago. My first day was a little rocky. Still, it wasn't anything I couldn't overcome. But things never stopped after that point. I spent my days fighting, hunting, building, and doing everything in my power to survive without anything except a blueish magical box to show me what to do next.

 

Magic, monsters, gods, and this thing inside my head, no matter what I do, I cannot understand any of that. I died and opened my eyes here. The only thing I remember between is a fading sound with words that sound like jabbering. Every time I try to think about that moment, my head hurts, and I snap back to now.

 

And, now is not a time frame I want to be in, at least when I am this wounded. That beast managed to land a strike on me right before he died, and guess what. His claws trashed through my clothing and skin like they weren't even there. If I recover, I will have a cool scar that looks like a claw attack.

 

Thankfully, I think there could be a chance to see my scar. With what I had, I managed to stop the bleeding and pressed the ice I created with my spell to help slow the blood flow. No matter how you look at it right now, this isn't a fun situation. I can barely keep my eyes open. Who knows how long it would take for a creature to find me? I don't, but I know one thing, I am defenseless.

 

The fall made my arm even worse, and my other arm is busy keeping something cold over the massive wound on my chest, so I may live to see another day. Even if no creature stumbles upon the corps of this giant beast, any bacteria managed to get inside my wound could be the reason for my death.

 

After all, new world, new bacteria. My body wouldn't be ready for it, damn it. I don't know if I can handle something like light flu in my current condition.

 

I won the last battle, but now thinking straight. At what cost? The usual blue screen didn't even appear. I didn't gain any rewards for my act. The only thing coming to my mind is that whatever was giving me this mission just used me as a puppet for its entertainment and threw me away when I wasn't fun to watch anymore.

 

There are gods and goddesses out there. I know that. They could be the only logical explanation of this world, how I cheated death, and the magic I use. 

 

A mere mortal got used like a toy given to a spoiled kid and thrown away when the owner got bored of it. I cannot think of any other word that describes how I feel about this situation.

 

My heart is burning with a rage I cannot contain. But, what can I even do? Scream until my lips dry out and give the last of my energy for nothing. Swing my arm, and beat the air for no reason. No matter how I feel, I don't see any exit from here other than a chain of events that requires luck enough to rob the entire Vegas.

 

"Ah, the world, not mine but the magical and ugly world. Be my grave, and promise me a peaceful afterlife so I could close my eyes for good." I took a deep breath. "Time to sleep and see if I ever wake up."

                                          *****

 

This cold abyss is nothing new to me. No! I remember it quite well. I felt this right after that bomb exploded, but why now? Why am I here again? Because I died because of my wounds.

 

I tried to look around. But I didn't feel my body moving.

 

No. my body, I cannot feel it at all. I don't feel pain or hunger. So, did my soul, if there is one, get separated from its physical shell?

 

 Is this the afterlife? A dark abyss with no feelings but cold. It couldn't be, probably a point where my consequences got stuck between death and life. Theories and theories, I only have them and nothing else. If I could, I would hit my head, but I cannot.

 

I began waiting, floating inside the darkness with nothing but the cold covering my body and lurking towards my heart. Only with my anger to keep me warm.

 

Seconds, minutes, maybe days passed. I couldn't keep the time, no matter how much I tried to do so. Every time I start counting, I reach ten, and my mind gets blurry, and it is all over again. I don't even know how many times I repeated this process.

 

Even the cold began losing its meaning. Now I only have one feeling, anger. Anger that doesn't even have a target. Did I do this to myself? Is it my fault, this whole situation, or is it a product of a god? Something tested me for my strength, and I failed to do by losing to that beast.

 

And the only reason I could carry on wasn't that I wanted to live, wasn't because I had a war to go back to, and no, none of these are why I survived. I don't have anyone waiting for me back home, and no one is in a desperate state because of my disappearance. I fought to live because of my need love of violence. Not because of a lover, not because of my imaginary children, great-great-grandchildren. No, I just fought because I know nothing else.

 

Now, as I lost, what choice do I have but feel angry? Angry with myself and this life I chose to have. All the people I killed, their angry screams echo in my ears. 

 

Then their screams turn into waves of laughter. To see their killer in a desperate situation, trapped inside a black prison where there is no feeling but an untargetable

anger that consumes him from the inside.

 

No, no, no, no, no. NO! I do not accept this. I don't, and I never will tolerate an ending like this. 

 

"Be it gods or what! Have some courage and come down to finish me down. I will not go like this. I will not let me! No matter what you use, my end will not come from this pathetic trap."

 

Keep your head up. I will not fall for this.

 

And like a strike of thunder, a new feeling hit my chest. A warmth. A bloody warmth? Forget about it. I can still open my eyes.

 

It is painful as if someone glued my eyelids, and I am ripping them apart while trying to open my eyes, but the small amount of light coming with each second is enough reason to suffer.

 

But even after enduring all that pain, I can finally see. And my body, even the pain. It is all back to me.

 

This warmth.

 

A chunk of flesh dropped from my mouth.

 

Fuck.

 

I looked at my hands. They got covered in blood and tissue. 

 

Then I looked at the wolf. Spiked walls that killed him got pulled away from the body. There is a massive hole in its side, some internal organs sticking out, and his ribs are open for me to see. That aside, there is a small lake puddle of blood, ripped flesh, and skin on the ground.

 

So, like that last time, something tried to take over me, but now, I lost control of my body and began eating the beast in front of me. I feel weird. Like a power is flowing through me, not one that I like. It is challenging my mind to gain control of my body.

 

"So, that's what happens when I let whatever curse I hold to take over my body." Curse of the Lich, or something like that, and I must be careful to keep it away.

 

I looked at my chest. The wound got a bit closed up, enough for me to move without dying of bleed, and my arm looks okay, despite how much it aches. My assumption is I regenerated by eating the flesh of this beast. But I want to believe it wasn't only flesh that I consumed.

 

[Congrulations: You diminished your second target.

 

Rewards:

 

-User's physical capabilities increased.

 

-Improvement of the user's amount of mana.

 

-Improvements in the user's sense of smell.

 

-Minor improvements on the user's skin's durability.

 

-Minor improvements on the user's eyesight.

 

New ability: Alpha Wolf:

 

Canine creatures weaker than you can be controlled by emitting a fear-imposing aura.

 

New passive ability: Danger Smells.

 

You may feel some attacks targeting you within a radius of 1.5 meters.

 

Alert! Curse assimilation is increasing. The further increase may cause a development in the taste for the flesh of the living.]

 

Am I becoming a zombie? For me, it wouldn't be too bad to become an immortal monster that will hunt my torturers till the end of the universe.

 

But where is that luck when you want it?

 

Now, I am capable of moving and perhaps doing some work. I may want to start doing something.

 

I opened my bag and got my canteen. I carefully poured water inside my mouth and spat it out after gargling. Raw flesh left a bad taste in my mouth. Well, I hope there weren't any parasites inside this one's meat, or I am in for a, how to say, not very preferable time in upcoming days.

 

"This fur." I touched to wolf's side. "It got damaged by my uncontrollable hunger and all the traps, but there is so much I can use." After some cleaning, damaged parts are suitable to add to my bed, and the top ones, which are in the best condition compared to others, will make a good cloak that can protect me from winds and rains.

 

Then its fangs and claws are fitting to make weapons, or similar tools, while its bones if I can manage a way to carry them back home, will do wonders in strengthening my shelter. "Work never ends."

7