Chapter 21: A Never Ending Battle
213 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Snowing is getting denser and faster. I couldn't ask for anything else like I am not in a bad state. I cannot see anything more than ten meters in front of me, but I am okay. I can handle this much, after all, cold doesn't bother me much as it did before, and I got pumped up for a good battle.

 

My enemy is closing the distance more every second. I can hear its armor shaking, its bots crunching the icy ground. "A shield is a problem. I must keep my distance. But how?" I looked at my hands. "Magic. One fitting for this land." I can use my sword with one hand, maybe not effectively as before, but the upside of a ranged attack is better than the downside of weaker slashes.

 

I began preparing the spell on my other hand while keeping an eye on the draugr, still closing the distance. "Shoot first, swing after. One, two. Now!"  I aimed my shot and fired the crystal when it appeared in front of my fingertips. Undead raised his shield to block the incoming projectile. What a nuisance. But guards up means weapons down, closing in.

 

The blade cut through the helmet draugr was wearing but stopped when it touched the skull. "Without damaging the brain itself. Sadly, the undead doesn't die from a wound like this, which would kill a regular human in most cases. Huh. It feels weird to use the word dying so much for already dead creatures. " I had two choices, either their brain or the hearth. This one wears chain armor covering his entire body and metal plates on vital areas, including but not limited to around his heart.

 

Head looked like the best choice, but I failed to take it down with a single strike. What a hassle. My sword got stuck there too. "Well, I expected this much." I kicked the draugr away and pulled out the mace and ax from my belt.

 

Using the time I had until draugr recovered, I charged forward, and the second I got into attack range, I stroked his ax-holding arm and damaged the tissue controlling the limb with my hatchet.

 

I put my hatchet back into its holster. I have equipment more suitable for this situation. Something made from a durable material, something that resembles a hammer. A mace. I suppose I had one lying over there. I reached to my belt and grabbed the iron mace.

 

"Well, this will only hurt very much." I began flattening draugrs face using the mace. First, dried and frozen flesh scattered around, then some weird liquid with some bone shards, but still mostly dried tissue, and finally, some cracks and one last strike to brain draugr is dead.

 

I learned this with lots of tries. Draugr's brains and hearths are their weak spots. Of course, a high amount of physical trauma can also cause death, but that would take too much effort. "Now, time for the next one." I felt lighting in my spine. Close.

 

Enemy behind me, how did I miss it? Am I getting rusty? I tried to move away, but a sword's blade landed on my back. It hurt, but I have a safety net for it. Strike bounced back from the fur cloak. I turned towards the draugr who sneaked upon me with an annoying smirk on my face. "Surprised." While making my cloak, I utilized everything I could from the giant wolf's body. And the materials I got were quite helpful. It was a platinum catch to say.

 

Giant Wolf's hide under the fur was thick enough to put something in, so I used its ribs as a flexible plating since they are pretty light despite their immense durability, perfect for blocking slashes, sadly not stabs. I got lucky on this one for that. "You did your cheap shot. Now, my turn."

 

With a swift move, I blocked the next strike from the draugr and began pushing my sword forward towards the monster, locking us into a contest of raw strength. One I will most certainly win.

 

With our swords' friction against each other, we began giving out all of our strengths. This one is stronger than your average undead but not a match for me. Draugr began losing its grip, and after a push, I opened a window for my attack.

 

Utilizing this opportunity, I thrust my sword right into its forehead. A sharp tip moved right through the monster's face, cut through dried tissue, pierced the plate of rotten bone, and finally stopped when it cut the brain. "One more down." I took a deep breath. "Send the next one!" I dare them. "And be fast." If I end this mindless bloodshed and go for a peaceful life, then at least enjoy every last bit of it.

 

The next one is probably on the attack. I don't even have a water break. I quickly pulled my sword out of the dead draugr and began moving my eyes around, looking for the next challenger. There are only limited places one can join the battle. It shouldn't take long to spot the next one. 

 

And spotted the next enemy coming in. "There you are." One with a spear is approaching here. "Rather a simple matchup, use the blade to push away the spear, and be fast to land the killing blow." Hopefully, things go as I planned. Not that I have high hopes for that or anything.

 

I dashed forward with my sword upfront. As I expected, draugr pushed the spear towards me, which I deflected away using the long blade, and grabbed the spear from its handle. "Gotcha." I pulled the undead towards myself while I thrust my sword forward. Draugr tried to push his spear at the same time. And it managed to. "Shit." It cut.

 

Well, another deserved victory for me. One more who escaped from the dead returned to the other side. Still, this one managed to cut some flesh from my arm, not a deep cut, but I am getting tired, and I suppose they don't have any reason to stop. I need a breathing break to patch this one up.

 

More footsteps are coming. "But I guess you gentleman wouldn't act kind enough to give me that, well, fuck sportsmanship then." I grabbed the hatchet and threw it toward the closest enemy. "Gonna give everything I have."

 

                                   *****

 

"Erwin!" It is the sound of a worried mother shouting. "My dear, where are you? Erwin." She shouted again, her sound shaking. Thankfully, her footsteps are getting louder and louder every second, and she is not alone. There are many different footsteps following hers, some heavier, some lighter. I turned the whole house upside down and made everyone worry. But it's still a memory fondly placed in my head. 

 

I answer with a scared voice. "I am here," I remember wishing for my mouth to disappear so people wouldn't hear my voice, but you can't escape the sense of a mother searching for her child, and in seconds, she bashed the door and rushed next to me.

 

She is not angry, just worried, perhaps more scared than little me. "Oh, you are safe." She hugged and lifted me. "You scared me so much." Her arms tightly wrap me. It feels warm and pleasant.

 

Tears are dropping from my face. I am trying to say. "I am sorry." But I can barely open my mouth, let alone talk.

 

"No need to be sorry. I am just worried for you. Please tell me what happened." Her voice still echoes through my head. So kind, so warm. I don't want to believe I lost her only four months later of this memory. Maybe that's why such an event got carved deep into my head.

 

My mother was a good woman. She was supportive, cheerful, and selfless. No matter all, she was a deep supporter of peace. I never understood how someone like her married my dad, a high-ranking army member.

 

But her influence was strong. My father, who was a supporter of a strong army capable of invading in his youth, decided to change his plans for the country's future and began supporting a defensive force that would decrease the possibility of war to the lowest.

 

She was like the incarnation of the word mercy in the human body. Despite being married to one of the richest, and most influential families, she would go to work for the poor and sick. I remember her taking me to animal shelters to look after animals on weekends. Of course, conservative family members weren't fond of that, but my father's love was too strong, and her spirit was too free.

 

Maybe, if she lived for longer, I could be much different. Maybe after that day, I would cry for the lost and swear for revenge, but stay as an engineer, not turn into a soldier. Still, these are just possibilities.

 

I took a deep breath. One more draugr died to my blade. No matter how much I love these memories, this is not their time. I must clear my head. That is no time for me to lose my head in memories. Past should stay in the past. I have no luxury of changing who I became right now, maybe later, but not now.

 

Something big is coming. A draugr, at least two meters long, it holds a massive ax, I mean one with a handle just a little shorter than me. Its head looks big enough to shred through anything just using its weight. And the monster itself looks like it hasn't cut any corners about protection. Shining metal armor covers almost all pieces of its body.

6