Chapter 57: The Wyvern Fight
79 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been ten days since Mel arrived. Wardens haven't sent someone new for the time being. After their abysmal performance on the last encounter, I asked Mel if he could work as a drill sergeant for the prisoners, teaching them basics about using weapons and command structure. He agreed. 

 

Since things are going quiet, today I plan to find the tomb of the first dwarven king. I asked about the location to Grumps, and he said that all royals usually have their graves inside the castle. But I have a problem. Grumps don't think someone this important wouldn't sleep here and probably is in the dwarven capital city located a continent away from here.

 

Knowing the nature of these gods, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, but I will still try my chance and search the castle. I might fail to find the king's tomb, but I might find a treasure, perhaps even a magical item.

 

So, I took three days worth of rations with me and rode Tank to the city center as a bodyguard. And I am sure I did the right thing because I saw a tiger-sized mole dragging a cow-sized lump of meat underground. I neither want to know what that mole is capable of nor where that meat came from. 

 

Thankfully, we didn't encounter any other monsters. I saw some from a distance, but none dared to approach. With that, I arrived at the stairs leading to the castle in the city center. I have to climb a bit. Thankfully there are no enemies nearby. Doing some cardio won't kill me.

 

I patted Tank's neck, then dropped off. "Wait for my command." It needs to go back, but I should check if everything is. If he stays outside, it might take the attention of unwanted foes. I prefer to make a runnin' back home with whatever I got from here than fighting monsters lurking in city ruins. Also, as a backup emergency plan, I told our guys to go out to find me two days after. Of course, we can't keep day and night cycles underground, but dwarfs, who evolved in caves, have a biological clock that works perfectly. They, somehow, can tell if it's night or day without seeing the sky.

 

Before climbing the stairs, I checked my rations. "Smoked fish, paste made from a mix of cooked mushrooms and other wild vegetables we foraged, and two canteens, one filled with water, other with a mixture of water and a weird, highly nutritious sap we get from the roots. Looks good enough. You can go now."

 

The undead beast slowly turned away and began running toward the forge. We came here slowly, and it took half a day of travel time, but now it is running on all fours, and it can go back in three hours. Hopefully, nothing bad will happen while I am away.

 

 I took my step forward, and a screen appeared. "Finally, good news."

 

[Start tracking Y/N]

 

"Answer is obvious." I pressed yes, and something, a trail made of light, appeared in front of my eyes, leading inside the castle. It is calling me, and I should probably follow it.

 

Without wasting more time, I began climbing stairs. First, I was climbing one by one, then I started skipping stairs, and in no time, I found myself at the castle's main building's entrance, a massive, steel double door. Despite all the moss and rust, it stands, and I can still see the who knows how old engravings shining under the lights of caves crystals. I can't say the same thing about the wall next to it. There is a car-sized hole in it, which I used to get in.

 

The Interior was quite admirable, and like the door outside, despite the hundreds of years of neglect, it is holding on. Perhaps it's because of the craftsmanship or a spell, but except for the ruble, everything looks fine, perhaps with some cleaning, even new.

 

I began walking through the hallways. During my time at war, I once visited a historical castle our forces set as a military fortress for a short time. It was under enemy artillery fire for a week before I arrived. This place has a similar look and has the historical beauty and destructiveness of war together.

 

But I try to keep my admiring of this place's beauty shot. Since this building won't grow legs and move away, I can always visit to explore its beauty later.

 

After a long time and countless maze-like corridors, I found myself in front of a large door with two giant dwarven warrior statues on its sides, and right behind the door, I saw the largest spiral stairs I had ever seen. You can ride a tank down there. It's that big.

 

The first thing I saw was a giant corpse sitting on a throne. The corpse was wearing the best-looking armor I have ever seen.

 

While I cannot deny that armor took my interest the most, there are also other things inside, shiny things, to be exact.

 

Small treasure hills are everywhere throughout the room. I hit the jackpot.

 

A creature that looks like a dragon, but I feel something odd about it as well. I suppose it is a dragon-like creature and not a real dragon. What were they called? Wyvern.

 

I suppose, including his tail, it's around five meters long and has scales shining blue metallic scales that I assume are at least strong as the chitin shells of Mud Walkers.

 

Here we go. I won't turn back. I need to get strong. "You, the overgrown lizard! I don't care what those 

sociopaths who call themselves God put in my way. I slayed many like you!"

 

Wyvern accepted my challenge by opening his wings and slamming his tail. I am a bit impressed, but not impressed enough to be scared of it.

 

I prepared a flame spear and threw it toward the creature. The spear did a small amount of damage but hurt the Wyvern. It also angered him, and the Wyvern began screeching.

 

Thankfully stupid lizard closed his eyes while screeching, and I used this opportunity to get close to the Wyvern and climbed to his back while he wasn't watching the surroundings.

 

I began hitting the creature's back with my weapon. It cannot reach me, and I am hurting it. I know that because of Wyvern's screams, but can I kill it? That's the question.

 

Wyvern began flapping his wings and slowly levitating from the ground.

 

"Nothing good will come from this move." I grabbed a bulge behind the creature's back to not fall off from his back.

 

In a second, Wyvern began flying in circles inside the room, it is surprisingly good maneuverability for his size, but I won't fall with some circling. I suppose he thinks the same because he began flying toward a wall.

 

"You mad fucker." I jumped from the back of the Wyvern and dropped on a small hill of treasures. It hurt, but I am not injured. Thanks to that, I quickly sled down the hill and got back up.

 

But I can't say the same for the overgrown lizard. The creature hit the wall hard and badly damaged himself.

I dashed towards Wyvern and slammed my weapons hammer at his head.

 

The attack shook the beast, but it recovered fast and threw me away with a hit from his tail.

 

The power of the blow threw me to another side of the room. "This thing still has some strength, but not enough for me."

 

I raised my weapon with confidence. "This took long enough!"

 

Wyvern screeched and began charging toward me. So, I prepared my weapon and began charging toward the Wyvern too. When the gap between us closed enough for me to strike, I swung my polehammer towards Wyvern's head with all my power, and as the mithril hammer hit Wyvern's head, the strength behind the blow slammed Wyvern to the ground. I used that to my advantage to strike Wyvern's head once again.

 

The creature tried to get up, but every time he tried, I landed another blow and stopped him again.

 

But it is not enough. "Time to end this." I focused on my strike and dealt a more powerful blow. The creature screeched and completely collapsed this time. Losing all hope, Wyvern closed his eyes and accepted his death. He has neither strength nor the will to fight.

 

I grabbed a sword from the treasury. "Sorry, but rules of the world. One dies, one lives. I have little to do against that." As I placed the sword o the creature's head, I felt a wetness on my leg.

 

The Wyvern is crying. "You are going to make everything harder. Won't you." I tried to press the sword toward the creature's head to kill him, but something kept me from landing the last blow.

 

I tried to push it once more, but no. "Enough!" I shouted and threw the weapon away.

 

"I am too tired for this. I am not a gladiator for you to watch me fight!" I let my body collapse next to the Wyvern, who accepted his death and waited for me to deal the final blow.

 

I hate thinking, but I busted into his lair and attacked him first. Didn't I? I sighed. "I hope I won't regret this." I pulled out the canteen where I carry the root juice. "Here, drink some of these." I opened Wyvern's mouth and poured the entire canteen.

 

Wyvern began shaking. Thankfully, it's gaining its energy back. "Here you go." I pat the creature's head. "It is weird that I was trying to kill you seconds before. But unlike all the creatures and people I fought before, you weren't even a threat to me, only something on my way, and I managed to pull you away from my way. But then why I wanted more? Wasn't putting you into a near-death state enough for my quest."

 

Wyvern opened his eyes and looked at me for some time. Like his scales, his eyes are blue too, and there aren't any signs of hatred or anger, just pain.

 

"You were only trying to protect yourself." I pat the Wyvern's head. "Sorry for hurting you." Respect all the creatures, as my grandfather said. "Especially the ones who only try to protect themselves."

 

A screen appeared in front of me.

 

[New feat achieved: A heart of gold capable of showing mercy. The Goddess of Mercy is quite pleased with what you did.

 

Rewards: Increase on every positive attribute.]

7