Chapter 62: Truth and Schemes
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The giant monster in front of us roared with all her might. The scales that covered her body reshaped themselves.
Steelscale Queen was ready to attack.
I looked at Silvertower. "Do you have any tips, anything I should be aware of? If so, it's the perfect time to say to me."
"She is much more agile than she looks. Stay out of her attacks, and try to hit her flanks."
Queen didn't waste time and went on the attack. She slid through the ground with an insane speed and an equally impressive destructive force that left a trench behind her path.
Silvertower dropped his weapon and opened his arms. "Come at me!" He roared.
Normally, such an act would be one's death, but considering Silvertower's outstanding physical strength, I will play along.
I moved out of the way of two titans and watched them both collide.
Steelscale Queen managed to push Silvertower for a while until he managed to get his hold back.
Now, they locked themselves into a stalemate.
"Erwin, now!" Silvertower shouted.
I carefully approached Steelscale Queen. Her body is still moving, and I don't want to find out what will happen to my body if I get hit by her violent struggle.
"Any weak spots I should prefer attacking?" I shouted.
"Just stab the damned beast!" He sounded furious.
So I just lunged forward, but scales deflected my blade.
I tried to thrust the blade in two more times before moving out.
The damned thing is more armored than a MBT, but I know what to do.
"Frozen Skin, Flame Spear." I cast two spells back to back.
"Erwin! What the hell are you doing there?" Silvertower shouted.
"Something stupid."
I got as close as I could and fired the flame spear.
The layer of ice covering my body shattered with the explosion, but I achieved my goal.
I thrust my sword into the small hole opened in Steelscale Queen's body and tore myself a bigger hole.
"Once again, Frozen Skin, Flame Spear." I put the flame spear inside Steelscale Queen's body and ignited it.
An explosion threw me to the other side of the chamber. I almost lost consciousness when I hit the cave wall.
My sight was blurry, and my hearing was almost gone, but the giant monster was still standing even in death.
What remains of her body reminded me of Swiss cheese, and her flesh was scattered all over the chamber.
"Shit." Unfortunately, I learned that Frozen Skin isn't the cheat card I saw it as.
I was somewhat alive, but what about my giant friend?
Silvertower was still holding the monster's head, or what remained of it.
I rested for a second, just until my eyesight got good again.
Silvertower's eyes were pale, and I didn't feel much energy from his body, but his muscles were on their limits.
Thankfully, the creature was dead. The battle lasted shorter than expected. I didn't know the bodily fluids of this creature were explosive.
I touched my chest but immediately pulled my hand.
The impact probably broke my ribs. I will call myself lucky if I don't have any internal bleeding.
"Shit, if it hurts this much despite the adrenaline, I don't want to know how much it will hurt when the rush finishes." I thought to myself.
"Silvertower, you good," I shouted with the last bit of my strength.
He didn't answer.
Was he dead?
"What a pitiful animation." A somewhat familiar voice came from the other side of the room.
I turned my head. It was the Kobold King.
In a blink of an eye, he appeared next to me. "And you are not in good shape either."
He pressed into my chest. His hand slowly passed through my skin without hurting my body.
"Your organs are crying blood, and there seems to be no bone in good shape. It is a surprise how you even managed to stand up, let alone survive."
A greenish light flowed to my body from Kobold King's hand.
"What is this," I asked.
"I am repairing this body you used so horribly." He had a scolding tone.
I felt more of my pain ease with each passing second.
Soon after, my body had completely recovered. "Thank you," I said in amazement.
Kobold King smiled. "This isn't much for me, but you better resurrect that big guy."
With his advice, I immediately resurrected Silvertower.
He suddenly gasped and started to cough. "For the sake of. How did I die so easily?"
He was straight to the point.
"I suppose you got used to this necromancy stuff." I jokingly said.
He dropped Steelscale Queen's head. "I hate how my answer to this question is yes, but again, how did I die so easily?"
"I don't know."
Kobold King hit the ground twice with his staff. "Of course, you don't let alone know anything about necromancy. You barely know anything about this world, don't you? Outsider."
"What!?" Silvertower suddenly shouted in confusion.
And he spoiled the big surprise. "I suppose there is nothing to hide. Yeah, I am not from this world."
"You mean not in this world like heroes."
"Yes, I am."
"Like gods summoned you."
"Yes, gods summoned me to this world."
"You mean like-"
I cut his sentence in the middle. "My friend, I am confused about this as much as you, but no matter how you ask the same question with different words, it won't change my answer."
Silvertower sat down on the ground. "This doesn't make sense. Why would gods even send a Lich to this world, which they send heroes to protect."
I shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine."
Kobold King hit the floor with his staff once again. "I will answer some of these questions later, but for today, you two passed. Enjoy your victory, Erwin, the only living king of dwarven."
Earth swallowed Kobold King, and he disappeared as fast as he appeared.
On our way back, Silvertower bombarded me with questions, which many I still look answers myself.
But I learned one valuable piece of information today. I can harvest a natural explosive material from the caves.
That will come in handy in the future.

***
**
*
General Leonhard emptied his pipe and began putting tobacco exported from an island five kingdoms away.
He wasn't in his mood today.
"When I was young, I joined the Empire's military. During a war, the enemy managed to cut our supplies, no replacement spears, no new arrows, no tools for repairing armor." He sighed. "I nearly died during that war, so I promised myself I would never let that happen again."
He got up from his chair and threw his pipe away with wrath. "And I kept that promise until an incompetent idiot who I trusted the most valuable location of my kingdom lost it to a couple of fucking rebels."
Lord Wellington stood quietly at the other side of the room.
He was the one entrusted with the Dwarven Fortress. He controlled the goods there.
This business was highly profitable. From a nail to a sword blade, the market for processed metal was large and without many competitors, at least in this part of the world.
Leonhard had entrusted him this business as a gift of his loyalty, which surpassed one of a dog to its master.
Now, his neck was on the line.
With a sudden temper, Lord Wellington hit the table before him. "You said it was a necromancer who has caused this, my lord. I heard it was this necromancer who killed my son. I swear, for my bloodline, I will take our revenge on him."
Behind this temper was a struggle to survive and get one more chance.
Leonhard picked his pipe from the ground. Luckily, it didn't break. "I give you a second chance. Do everything in your power, and take that fort again."
Lord Wellington bowed as much as he could, then immediately left the room.
Half a minute of silence after a sinister laughter echoed inside. "Oh my, what a loyal dog. Where did you find this one."
It was the Lady.
Leonhard filled then lit his pipe. "From loyal but useless puppies bin, but him aside, did you cause that little rebellion?"
Lady pulled herself a chair and sat down. "No, but I know the person who did. That necromancer, what was his name? Oh yes, Erwin." She sounded somewhat annoyed while recalling Erwin's name.
Leonhard sat down as well. "And where do you know this necromancer?"
"He caused one of my schemes to fail. That little rebel silver knight of yours, remember when I tried to kill him."
"So that's how they met with Arthur, but it's strange how a necromancer of his caliber appears out of thin air."
Lady snapped her fingers, and a lit cigarette materialized in her hand. "Just a speculation, but I guess he is the next Lich King."
Leonhard put his pipe to the table. "If you are serious, we should send a messenger to one of the two heads."
Lady sighed. "For what, to them to kill us." She got up. "I tried to assassin him twice, but something protects him in that fortress, something very powerful. Our best bet will be luring him out."
Leonhard began laughing. "And I guess I have the cheese for your mousetrap."
"You are smart, that's why I like you. Let me borrow Arthur. I know you haven't killed him yet.
General Leonhard relaxed his body. "He is all yours."
"Good." Lady disappeared into shadows.
Leonhard looked outside. "The Lich King, huh? Then may gods help that damned demoness to succeed, or we all might die."

2