1 | The Marshal
307 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sickening cracks deafened the ears. Chunks of ice fell onto the floor, released from their suspensions before they would eventually melt into water. Standing at the center, curled within a ball, a single being awoke.

He looked mostly Asian, not that any knowledge of Asia existed anymore. His skin was spotless and white. His stature was thin and lean, if a bit short. He looked absolutely peaceful and totally unlike someone who was supposed to have been infected. Looses clothes hung off his body, pressing wet against his back but hanging loose over his hunched figure.

The only odd thing about him that looked out of place were the shining red eyes that lit the room like spotlights. He seemed to be a light source of his own. Red blinking lights bounced off his figure, blinding his eyes.

The being blinked, raising his hand to block out the light in an entirely human fashion. It seemed that rather than going through years of damaging cryogenic sleep, he'd just woken up from an impromptu to nap.  His whole figure was lazy and soft, revealing a nature of peace and serenity. 

He stretched and yawned before picking up a foot out of the ice block at his feet, shattering it instantly. Sleepily, he walked forward and out of the glass, shattering it as well.  The commotion went unheard  as the alarms were blaring and the sounds of screaming and bullets was far more attention grabbing.

This being drifted from the museum and straight into open fire. Bullets plunged deep into his skin before bouncing off and hitting the floor. The one who shot him gaped at the sight.  He continued on unaware, before walking straight into the camp of captives. There, he was forced onto the ground by a pair of rough hands to join the rest of the quivering staff. Obviously, he'd been taken for a captive.

Blasts of guns and continued shouting swirled through the air. Raw tension and panic laid heavy against the crowd at what seemed to be a loosing battle. Some of the captives began to silently weep, wishing they had believed in some god that could have saved them at that moment. The general law enforcement seemed to have been pushed back by the criminals and had retreated outside the meusum walls. It seemed that there would be no hope.

Until, suddenly, an earth shattering thump shook the ground. The familiar whir of the military mechs, for more powerful than the average household mech,  broke the tension. The captives cheered, knowing victory was here. The criminals wept, shaking in their boots at the arrival of the common citizens' 'God on Earth' - Marshal Bale had arrived at the scene. 

It wasn't long until the captives, the infected and all, were ushered to safety. As they passed the museum doors, they cheered at the name of their Marshal as he struck down the criminals. 

The infected stumbled within the jostling crowd, hit by elbows and shoulders. When he yawned, he was smacked across the back and told to cheer up. 

Eventually, they were led to citizen care. They were checked for injuries and asked many questions about the situation. The victims were happy to answer, adding in the occasional praise to the Marshal. This continued on until the very last straggler, the infected who had continued to look half asleep throughout the whole event.

By now, the sun had set and the four moons were out.  The Marshal they praised was sitting to the side, watching from a camera as each check up went on. He was on vacation while this had gone on. He'd been at the military base when the call got through. Having nothing to do, he sat and watched as he had dinner.

He only arrived in time to catch the last few. 

The check up and interrogation all happened in the same small room. The patient sat on the lifted bed, staring dazedly at the doctor who checked his head for concusion. He looked so out of it that she suspected he might have something wrong with his brain. She sighed upon finding everything was fine, then went on to ask. "Do you know your name?" As precaution.

The youth nodded slightly. "Li."

"Okay Mr. Lee. I'd like to ask a few questions about the incident." She said as she began to check for heartbeat. "Do you know what time they first broke in?" He shook his head. "Did you hear the alarm go off?" He paused, then nodded. "Did you try to leave for the exit? Where were you captured?"

There was an even longer pause. Then, he mumbled softly. "Yeah, going outside. 'was shot at-"

"Shot at!" She startled. "Where? Are you in any pain?"

He lifted his sopping shirt, which had now turned stiff and dry. Beneath. three bruises colored his white waist in condensed circle. There wasn't even a puncture.

Behind the screen, the Marshal furrowed his brows. None of those men were using testing bullets, so how could the youth not be injured.  It only clicked until, after many more questions, his phsyque was checked, showing a shocking measurement of triple S. He practically dropped his coffee at that. The nurse was beyond shocked. She stifled a scream at the discovery.

The nurse assured him nervously, before going on to check the spiritual side, only to be disappointed. It was a weak 'f grade' spiritual strength, which explained his dopey expression. It seemed he was mentally dumb. She sighed.

At the other end of the camera, the Marshal bowed his head to hide his eyes as his thoughts spun.  He picked up the phone and sent a message to the doctor, a man under his unit. He would be sure to take this kid as his own. Being that the kid had likely been abandoned for his f-grade spiritual strength, then it wasn't too much of a shame for him to snatch up that gold mine for himself. Adopting a child didn't seem too bad an idea at this age.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the title. My first draft had something along the lines of 'Softly Swayed to Sleep' to appeal more to the MC who, as you can probably tell, is a bit out of this world. Something I probably won't end up explaining, is that the MC's host bodies can't really handle the pressure of his soul.

Instead of reincarnating, it's easier to say that he's floating to different host bodies and slipping a bit of his soul inside their body as an anchor while he sleeps. 

6